FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the bank vault scene pushed the limits of plausibility.

I like how the SWAT team just stared at him, did nothing, and let him go into the bank.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another thing I had a problem with was the male terminator ripping apart that bank vault door. It doesn't matter how much force the dude could generate (although this alone is troubling, those things are solid steel), he wouldn't have the leverage required to do it. If he hit the door as hard as he did, he'd be thrown back 100 feet by his own strength.
These are the kinds of things that you'll just have to get over if you're gonna enjoy most super-strength including movies, heh.

I mean, the last film I can recall that even made a nod in that direction was Spider-man 2 with Doc Ock using his extra limbs to stabilize himself when flinging cars and stuff.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, the last film I can recall that even made a nod in that direction was Spider-man 2 with Doc Ock using his extra limbs to stabilize himself when flinging cars and stuff.
And even so, the way he used those arms would have torn them out of his spinal cord long before he ever got to use them for feats of strength.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Comic books are one thing. Heck, I have 200+ Incredible Hulk comics. I expect more from a Terminator property when it comes to realism. Perhaps it was because I was still a kid when I first saw them, but I don't remember any really gross violations of the laws of physics in the first two movies (setting aside the actual time travel of course). I could probably think of some, but since T2 was about the most entertaining movie I've ever seen (and still holds up incredibly well), I guess my brain is otherwise occupied when I watch.

Speaking of the Hulk, ripping apart that bank vault door could only have been done by a character with Incredible Hulk strength, and even then it wouldn't be easy. The terminators are strong, sure, but they can't come close generating the ENORMOUS amount of force that this terminator was doing easily.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Consider the nigh impossible power supply and complicated technology it would take for a humanoid robot to move in a normal baseline human manner (let alone handle anything. Let alone not wear out -very- quickly) and the entire concept becomes even more incredible. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah, certainly, but a lot less incredible when you imagine the technological breakthroughs possible with super-intelligent machines inventing other super-intelligent machines in the future.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Yeah, certainly, but a lot less incredible when you imagine the technological breakthroughs possible with super-intelligent machines inventing other super-intelligent machines in the future.

"It's a lot less incredible when you accept the magic beans!" [Wink]

We do have humanoid robots. And they're working on getting them to play sports, dance, the whole deal. But they're still a long way off from doing so in a way that doesn't fall right into the uncanny valley. Let alone in a way that gives them super-human sentience. Just sayin'.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also the latest superman movie when he rips the wing off the plane trying to get it to stop spinning, then when he finally stops it, the nose bends in from the inertia+the weight of the plane. (Yet it didn't rip in half when he set it down.)

I liked the pilot and felt it went by too quickly. I'm looking forward to tonight.

Though, I too, groaned when the chair stopped the bullets. At least, until the explanation came by in the next scene. I suppose if she can have guns hidden in the walls she can make Kevlar furniture.

I don't like the new Sarah though. She's probably the weakest link thus far. Hopefully she'll grow on me (like the new bionic woman did.)

Anyway as to all of the unrealistic stuff... "Repeat to yourself it's just a show I should really just relax."

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:

We do have humanoid robots. And they're working on getting them to play sports, dance, the whole deal. But they're still a long way off from doing so in a way that doesn't fall right into the uncanny valley.

If you remember from T1, they did mention that the first generation of humanoid Terminators were not very convincing.

They got better at making them. Consider how much better we are at making them than we were 20 years ago. Apply that exponential curve to another 20 years. Now imagine that same curve, where one or more super-intelligent program is doing the research and development, with an unlimited budget. This is the same super-intelligence which discovered how to send objects back in time (humans only did it by stealing the technology), so you gotta imagine that technological advancements are within its scope.

quote:
"It's a lot less incredible when you accept the magic beans!"
When the basic premise of the show is that magic beans exist, then it seems silly to complain about the existence of magic beans. I see no reason to not complain about other things which are not related to the basic "magic beans exist" indulgence, however.

[ January 14, 2008, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to slap John in the face in the middle of the second episode.

**************** Mini Spoiler ****************

I might have a little more sympathy for him leaving the house if he wasn't being chased by terminators.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Please remain calm."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm liking the show (and the posters, if anyone remembers the OP). It has all of the first-episode problems (whiny characters, bad dialogue, strange story problems) but the basic ability to sort them out. Everyone already knows the backstories, so no time needs to be wasted on that.

This is a good show that Fox may not cancel.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
My biggest complaint in the third movie was the whiny useless snot version of John Conner. The John Conner is T2 could have wiped the floor with the John Conner in T3. I hated Nick Staal's version. I am more fit to lead an army than his character was.

I just watched the first part. This part struck me, you're quite right but it actually is worse IMO. Basically every character has been gimped.
Linda Hamilton's Sarah could twist this pretty new one into a knot.
The T2 Connor would punch this one in the nose and take his stuff.
Cameron is cute but stylistically more comparable to one of BSG's humanoid Cylons rather than Arnold's unstoppable steamroller.
Even the "enemy" Terminators are rather undaunting, if only to match.
(all these comments are based on the vibe that the actors give off obviously, rather than as a prediction of how they'll act later)

But, eh. Nothing else seems to be on and it was passably enjoyable, might as well stick around until Fox cancels it [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
"Please remain calm."

She nailed that line. [Big Grin]

That and when she cut off that guys laughing with her own and stopped as soon as he stopped and just sauntered off, brilliant!

I like the show, but I'm just not feeling the constant sense of impending doom that the movies have. Maybe it's the music or the way it's shot. When they went to the bank for example, they KNEW a terminator was hot on their heels and they weren't even looking around, they just walked and stared straight ahead.

With how much both Connors have been through, I'd be EXTREMELY paranoid and VERY aware of my surroundings.

Also, is John completely unable to handle a firearm? Or is his mom afraid he'll be to brazen if he is confident in the use of weapons? I can't recall one instance in Terminator 1 or 2 where he uses a gun. I know he uses a Kalashnikov in 3 but I pretend 3 didn't happen.

As for terminators pulling off bank vault doors. Apparently they are completely bullet proof, AND they can fall 30+ feet onto the pavement and suffer no indentations in their skeletal structure. This leads me to believe they are made of some sort of super metal alloy; it's darn near indestructible. Bearing that in mind, their feats of super strength do not bother me.

I also didn't like in the pilot episode where the terminator corners John between two cars, points his gun, waits for him to look up, makes an expression, then gets hit by Cameron driving a truck.

What was the point of waiting period? Terminators don't feel the need to gloat, or mutter one liners, unless your Arnold in which case you learn to by talking to John.

It just bothers me that they setup these scenarios where the Terminators are THIS close to killing their target but because they feel the need to look good as they fire the shot they hesitate one moment too long. You can be sure that if a Terminator fires without hesitation, like when he fired at John in the classroom he will not be hitting his target.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
And even so, the way he used those arms would have torn them out of his spinal cord long before he ever got to use them for feats of strength.
Go watch Ghost in the Shell again you big baby.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
The second episode was much better. I think I'll stick with it for a little while.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Also, is John completely unable to handle a firearm? Or is his mom afraid he'll be to brazen if he is confident in the use of weapons? I can't recall one instance in Terminator 1 or 2 where he uses a gun.
John had clearly been trained to reload clips of ammunition in T2. With all the other skills Sarah and his mentors taught him, shooting a gun would be a no-brainer. Sarah basically chose boyfriends by what they could teach John that would be useful when he became a military commander. One of those boyfriends taught her how to shoot, and clearly they would have done the same for John.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that bothered me in the second episode

*spoilerish*

Why did the terminator head from the bank vault make it through the portal into the future? It didn't have the skin covering it...and I thought that was a requirement for time travel.

Also, who was that EMT that John went to see? I definitely missed something there.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed that the head just remained there for the eight years or so that they traveled into the future. The old terminator was blown up by that gun that Sarah used (of course, why it wasn't noticed after the explosion is beyond me. maybe the whole bank exploded).

The EMT was the man at the beginning of the first episode that Sarah Connor was tempted to marry. They had been together for 2 years IIRC.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

oh ok. Thanks.

Maybe I was wrong about the head...I just got the feeling that it came through with them in the explosion because it just activated now.

I also thought it was cheesy that the head could control the body wirelessly. What does the body need the head for if it can move around and kill people on its own when the head isn't anywhere close by.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching episode 2 on DVR, but the sound sync is off, which is kind of ticking me off... any way to fix that?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The head clearly pops off the body and flies into the portal when she fired that gun. It traveled with them into the future while the body apparently sat in a dump.

The head activated the next day after the garbage collector took it home and then the body, which had been sitting at the dump for 9 years reactivated.

I also agree it's alittle strange the body can do so much without a head. Of course we are assuming the only CPU and Optical sensor devices are in the head.

edit: Are you guys sure skin is a REQUIREMENT to be sent back in time, or is it more you can't take anything with you besides the skin and whatever else is under it?

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
As established in the movies, whatever goes back has to be enclosed in something living. Which makes this a fairly glaring problem, unless the head still had skin on it when it flew in the portal but managed to lose it all before it landed.

Also kinda unlikely that a Terminator body would just get dumped at a junkyard after being found on the scene of a bank robbery/explosion that apparently included 4 fatalities.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
As established in the movies, whatever goes back has to be enclosed in something living. Which makes this a fairly glaring problem, unless the head still had skin on it when it flew in the portal but managed to lose it all before it landed.

Also kinda unlikely that a Terminator body would just get dumped at a junkyard after being found on the scene of a bank robbery/explosion that apparently included 4 fatalities.

Not all criminal investigations are conducted equally. I can see a sloppy investigation simply throwing the terminator bits in the dump along with the pieces of the vault, and the terminator reassembling his body upon activation.

But I agree the head thing is a bit questionable.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

A bank robbery that involved 4 deaths and a bank vault door with fingermarks in the metal? I think that would be investigated pretty darn thoroughly, especially since the FBI had an interest.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
A bank robbery that involved 4 deaths and a bank vault door with fingermarks in the metal? I think that would be investigated pretty darn thoroughly, especially since the FBI had an interest.

4 deaths with NO forensic evidence left behind. The case would very quickly go cold, and clean up would ensue. Also I am not sure Terminators have individual finger prints on their fingers.

Law enforcement on occassion do simply report a lame conclusion and hope it all goes away when faced with a complete lack of solid evidence.

Lupus
Member # 6516

also, the terminators are supposed to be very heavy...you would think moving the body would be a big deal, and hard to miss.

At the very least it would make people wonder. Though my biggest problem is the fact that the head made it through the portal.

Also, it doesn't make sense that all terminators wouldn't be programed with John Connors face. He is the leader of the resistance, you would think every terminator would be programmed with his face and orders to kill just in case they ran across him somewhere out of the ordinary. In T3 the terminator did not expect to see John, but when she ran across him, she sure didn't waste any time trying to kill him. Granted, she was from further in the future...but still even the old terminators could be programed with his picture.

I still find it to be an interesting show, even if it doesn't follow the terminator rules. I doubt it would have survived without the strike limiting other options, but it is entertaining enough to hold my interest during the strike.

Besides, I'm in love with Summer Glau

Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Super-strong robots aren't that jarring to me as long as they're from sufficiently far in the future. Who knows what kind of metals or stabilizing force fields man (or intelligent robots) could have by then?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lupus, it may be the ultrasonic sounds of the high-capacity servomotors that make dogs bark at the terminators. Probably hurts their ears.

Yes, Summer Glau steals the show. She is also showing real subtlety in her expressions and manner--good acting ability. And it is good to see River is still kicking butt!

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
4 deaths with NO forensic evidence left behind. The case would very quickly go cold, and clean up would ensue. Also I am not sure Terminators have individual finger prints on their fingers.

I dunno. Four deaths, a bunch of wacky equipment that looks like a gun and some pretty simultaneously advanced and retro computer equipment (assuming that stuff did not self-destruct), at least four witnesses, and fingerprints from the two humans in the vault. I dunno... it seems to stretch plausibility.

Edit to add: Only watched the first part so far...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the bubble that contains the time portal destroy any non-living, non-encased material? I think I remember part of the rear of a semi-truck trailer disappearing when a time portal appeared in the first movie.

If the portal in the bank vault were big enough, it could have destroyed any evidence of the machine that made it (and the terminater head, to nitpick).

But then that leaves a large area of nothing in the vault where something used to be. Of course that means no evidence either, so the investigation could very likely go cold anyway, even if the crime scene was very strange.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I believe the time spheres only destroy everything around you when you arrive, not when you depart.

Though that is pure speculation.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I said fingermarks, not finger prints. A hand-shaped gouge in a reinforced steel vault door might raise some eyebrows.
The Reader
Member # 3636

TV imitates xkcd.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Episode two:

Nice touch: John Connor walks up to a modern computer and screws up. I hate shows where a character can walk up to a computer system X (where X is from the future/alien/past) and immediately start hacking into it and using it as if they were experts at it.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the show, but I'm just not feeling the constant sense of impending doom that the movies have.
Perfectly put. I really dislike this show. For all of the reasons mentioned above, but mostly because these people (Sarah, John, and T) aren't pulling it off. I'm not sure what I expected, this isn't it though. It doesn't help that I am die hard Terminator fan. In my opinion, they should have followed the books. For the record, I have nothing against Nick Stahl, I think he is awesome, he just wasn't half the John that Ed Furlong was.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen the first episode. Not a big fan so far.

Comparing this evil Terminator to Ahnold and Robert Patric kind of reminds me of the difference between the raptors in Jurassic Park 1 and 2. In their former incarnations they're terrifying, unstoppable killing machines that pursue their prey relentlessly and dispassionately, never wasting a moment that could be spent killing. Then in the sequels they get just close enough to the protagonist to create "suspense," at which point both the terminator and the raptors cock their heads to the side in a way that tries and fails to appear menacing, and then they wait for their prey to overcome them or escape.

I lost count of the number of times in the pilot that the terminator cocked his head to the side like a special-ed kid trying to solve a quadratic equation. If nothing else, it would make an excellent drinking game. I hope that whoever took the time and effort to program the head-cocking subroutine into his code is currently in the future-sentient-robot equivalent of the unemployment line.

Oh, and is "naked in the pilot" written into all of Summer Glau's TV series contracts? Not that I'm complaining, you understand... [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the head-cocking thing is a recall to T2. The T-1000 did it a lot, and it was annoying then but maybe not so clichéd.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I am watching T2 right now and I think I have figured it out. Music! The show is missing the suspenseful music.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
They added little bits of the theme into the show, but you're right.

That and I don't think anyone can fill Linda Hamilton's shoes as Sarah Connor. I remember seeing her in T2 and thinking she was totally badass. I just don't get that impression yet with this new actress. She wears impractical little skirts and she's not as focused. Not implacable like she was in T2. But maybe that's because she thought the worst of the danger was past. I'll keep watching, but I'm not so impressed.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Dadadaaaaa!

Sorry Val, I tried to give you something.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

To be fair, Sarah's only wore skirts (I believe) when she was in her waitress outfit.
brojack17
Member # 9189

There was the dream sequence in the opening of the pilot when she went an got John from school and she was wearing a skirt.

Of course, she could have just came from work.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that they named the FBI guy James Ellison. It's nice that they're giving the guy Terminator was stolen from some name credit.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
He's acting more manly this episode.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

I chuckled when Cameron/Summer Glau told John "don't be a freak" when he wanted to save the girl committing suicide. He had been telling her not to get noticed, and then he was going to get noticed himself.

I also like the fact that they have kept her as a rather ruthless terminator. They tamed down Arnold quite a bit when John told him not to kill humans...Summer's terminator hasn't been tamed yet.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Why was Cameron so good at playing human in the pilot and so rotten at it now?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I'm not sure she is. That might be the point of the "I fooled you" and "I fooled you again" conversations.

She might have the ability to act more human, but not the inclination to.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Why wouldn't she have with the suicidal girl in the bathroom, though?

Also... did it feel weird to anyone else that they did all that hinting about what she was so upset about, and then never did the big reveal?

Mucus
Member # 9735

I would guess that the girl was simply not relevant to her mission of protecting John.

(i.e. she had to emulate humans pretty well to fool John who was potentially saavy to figuring out who she was. Now, she doesn't have to. The girl likely won't guess who she is no matter how bizarre she acts)

I thought the lack of a reveal was odd too, maybe cut for time. I just figured love triangle gone bad and someone was spray painting references to it around.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.