FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "When did the mother call Roger discussion?"

The first scene, where Derek asks the daughter "How did it find you?" He's clearly asking about how it found them in the recent past (i.e. six months in the future). There's just no reason him to be asking what happened six months ago. Sarah would have filled him in on that anyway, and it's irrelevant to the current situation, which is that they're hiding in a warehouse while a robot is hunting for them.

In addition, after the daughter says "I called Roger," she talks about how it was a stupid decision, how she broke "the rules," and then lists the number one rule "There's no such thing as normal." That's not the sort of thing she would have known six months ago before the reality of what was happening had even set in.

The scene (six months ago) when the mother is calling Roger, is not to show her calling Roger that particular time, but to demonstrate that the mother is in general unreliable and unwilling to accept the situation she's found herself in.

It is really ambiguous and doesn't really make sense either way. But in any interpretation, the mother's calling Roger 6 months ago didn't lead to the terminator coming. The terminator came in the first place by interrogating the sitter at their other house. He didn't come back until he had taken out Cameron. In no way did Roger's arrival have to do with it.

[ December 10, 2008, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Not sure what I think of this episode. The whole alien convention thing seemed silly to me, and happening to run into "Abraham" there felt contrived. I cared more about what was happening with John, Cameron and Riley but that didn't get a whole lot of screen time.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I only skimmed this thread.

What really annoys me about this series is the Kid, John Conner. What is his purpose? I mean someone tries to kill him in every episode, and he is suppose to become the future savior of the world. If that is going to happen, shouldn't he get started?

It would only take a couple attempts on my life before I started studying weapons and tactics, martial arts, and technology/computer programming/ electronics.

I think that is why the brought Brian Austin Green into the series, because John Connor doesn't actually do anything, he is simply the McGuffin. He is the reason everything happens, but in and of himself, he servers no purpose.

They try to make this kid blend in, but by doing that, they seem to be depriving him of the very experience and knowledge he needs to become the person we know he will become. That doesn't make sense, and it spoils the series for me.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

First, curious: have you watched the whole series? In the first season I would have definitely agreed with you. In this season there are a few key episodes that show him accepting his future responsibility. (The biggest one was "Goodbye to all that", where he and Derrek go to protect another future resistance member and destroy another terminator in the process).

After that, they don't constantly show him drilling with weapons and what-not, but they do show him continuously studying electronics and the psychologist mentioned that he "sized up all the exits" when he entered the room. I think enough is implied to be happening in the background that they don't need to constantly show it on screen.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I liked this episode. It was too confused, too confusing and too random. It didn't really fit in with where we've already been and what we've already seen. It felt like too much of a contrived effort to end the half season on a cliff hanger. And it was a crappy cliff hanger to boot.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, I agree pretty much with Alcon.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Omigod, they killed Sarah! You b*****ds!

Cameron wants a tattoo? How cute is that? She's totally getting the self-expression bug.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I have a suspicion she was not being totally truthful at that particular moment. Although it actually wouldn't surprise me if she was... she seems to go for new experiences, just for the sake of experiencing them, which would fit with an AI's programming as long as it didn't conflict with other orders.
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like they cut and pasted together an episode that was written and filled to end the series before the renewal happened and then rather than take the time to make a new episode, they just edited it to work as a mid-season break episode!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Cameron wants a tattoo?

Not really. She wanted the hand to feel the pulse. The tattoo was a pretext.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I rather strongly suspect that Sarah is not really dead, or doesn't stay dead, or something. (In the jargon of The Princess Bride, she is not "entirely dead.") I mean, after all, the whole series is about her!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think she's dead, I think she just passed out.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I don't think there was anything suggested Sarah died at all. (I mean, MAYBE if we didn't know it was a TV show, but c'mon?)
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly suspect Lisa was joking...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly suspect Elmer is right.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, OK LIsa. I-Ron-y. That's my name.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen the last two episodes?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a "Terminator 2.5" thread around here somewhere...

Here it is: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=054928;p=0&r=nfx

Not many comments in it though.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Has anyone else seen the last two episodes?

Yes!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.