FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' discussion
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're right, though--that red-headed terminator lady is absolutely awful. Dreadful. Every scene with her walking around that office chewing scenery is wasted time.
Really? I like her well enough. I love the way she talks - it suggests a kind of intelligence and motive that's a bit strange for a terminator yet still appropriate. The only time she particularly bugs me is when she kills someone. Then she drops the whole sophisticated attitude and just says some lame pithy one-liner with overexaggerated

And there is, of course, the gaping plot hole of why a terminator bothers to build Skynet from scratch when it could just infect the internet and... win. But that plot hole's kinda essential to the show, so Silver-Lady's dependence on it doesn't bug me especially.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
You are assuming that she is trying to creat Skynet.

Probably a good assumption but not for sure, I think.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually am starting to think that's less and less likely. Something about her manner suggests that she has her own agenda to me.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I also noticed some logical errors in this week's show. The 888 asked the other two Martin Bidells who they were before trying to kill them. But the Martin Bidell at the military school, he only had to see him in order to confirm it was a Martin Bidell. If the Terminator can recognize Bidell on sight, why should it need to ask?

Well he did have a name tag...
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
No, Derek recognized him.
Although that doesn't stop the little kid from becoming important in the future now.

I hope he is. I hate it when shows create throwaway characters that I actually like.

EDIT: I seem to recall feeling frustrated with the first season for creating a few throwaway characters that I liked but now I can't remember any of them. Maybe I'll rewatch the first season when I get back to my house this weekend for a break.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
They pulled the first season from Hulu. Drat.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a Men's Health article about Summer Glau...and you can never have enough Summer Glau!

Mens Health

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know why there's no new episode this week? What's with the two week wait?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, I was pretty sad when I logged on today with no Terminator show to greet me.

From Terminatorsite.com:

quote:
Because of baseball playoffs, there will be no new episode off Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles tonight (October 13). Look for the show to return on October 20 with an all-new episode!
Also, I think it's fairly common for shows to have 5 episodes in row or so and then skip a week or two. Among other things, it just pads the season out longer.
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure we will have some interruptions when the World Series starts too!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Shirley Manson is a bizarre casting choice for the new T-1000, but seeing her does bring me back to high school, so I'm enjoying it.

[sing]I'm only happy when it ra-ains ..![/sing]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Terminator got its full season order. : )
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome. I was really worried that it would get canceled. At least it has a shot to pick up the ratings in the second half of the season.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now we know about the child. She fears the thing who replaced her mother.

Too bad. I thought having a child terminator would be cool.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think it's cool either way. A Terminator going out of her way to raise a child (when she presumably could have staged the death of the child as well) is interesting.

I loved the fight between Cameron and the Crazy-Haired-Chick.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Just watched last night's show. Holy crap, this is a good show. Time traveling logistics aside, the characters are incredible.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen. Fantastic episode, fantastic show.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
There's getting to be too many terminators. Pretty soon they are going to supplant the human race by dint of sheer numbers.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a new episode last night? My station didn't play it. [Frown]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Watch it on hulu.com (legally)
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Great episode.
Loved Cromartie trying to smile.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, this is the first time I actually liked Cromartie. I particularly like that he does KINDA get the smile right at the end. He's memorized exactly 2 seconds worth of smile, which isn't enough to carry on a conversation but if used correctly could be helpful.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

It's really interesting that he seems to have gone rogue.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode. "Yes, it's my kind of story." [Big Grin] Loved it!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Something I'm confused about: What Terminator is the Jetson woman having the FBI search for? (can't remember either of their names) It seems strange that he isn't mentioning Cromartie to her.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Oh, there are things that confuse me too. That one included. I'm waiting to see if they make sense in the long run. There's too much that can go on "behind the scene" that I don't dare make predictions about the things that confuse me...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I trust that it will make sense later. There were a few other plot holes that were filled after I made fun of them so I'm just going to trust the writers.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

How many more episodes in this season will there be--and will the show be picked up for renewal next year? That will have a lot to say about how many plot holes get filled in, and threads tied up.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Here is recent (Oct. 11, 2008) info from the show's writers:

quote:
While the fate of the show past production on episode thirteen is still unclear, FOX has given us the go-ahead to write two more additional episodes for this season — fourteen and fifteen.

We are hard at work writing those episodes and await news of a potential pickup for the full “back nine” (additional episodes to complete the season) in the near future. We’re crossing our fingers (and dotting our i’s) that we’ll have more good news to share with you soon…

Link: http://sarahconnorchronicles.org/index.php/category/sarah-connor-chronicles-general-show-information/
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fox announced a dramatically restructured midseason lineup, radically different than the schedule they outlined over the summer. They have revived the Friday night science fiction dumping ground, placing Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse on that evening, beginning February 13, the beginning of a three-day weekend when viewership tends to drop anyway.
Hope you guys weren't too attached to those shows. Friday nights is where Fox sends non-reality shows to die. For shows with fandom appeal, it's pretty much the kiss of death.

:-*

mwah

quote:
The Friday night curse began with the genre-related The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. in 1993 and was following in subsequent years by MANTIS (1994), Strange Luck (1995), VR.5 (1995), Sliders (1996), Millennium (1996), The Visitor (1997), Harsh Realm (1999), Freakylinks (2000), Dark Angel (2000), The Lone Gunmen (2001), John Doe (2003), and Firefly (2003).

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode tonight.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Great episode. But...

Once they established that they use a code on the phone to make sure it's not a Terminator faking their voices (day and month), they should have kept doing it. Why would they stop?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Lisa, they didn't stop using a code, but they were using a different one.

That's why John kept pushing buttons on the phone when he was talking to "Sarah."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yeah, Cromartie learned the original day month code some episodes back. They had to change it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it ever explained who Cameron called at the drop?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the point of the parallel storylines following different characters? There wasn't one moment in the show where a scene was reinterpreted to mean something else when seen from a different perspective.

It's like some writer went, "Ooh, this will be SO COOL!" and never understood the purpose of a structure like that.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
What was the point of the parallel storylines following different characters? There wasn't one moment in the show where a scene was reinterpreted to mean something else when seen from a different perspective.

It's like some writer went, "Ooh, this will be SO COOL!" and never understood the purpose of a structure like that.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't think there was a point other than they thought it would be a different and interesting way to structure it. I found it slightly jarring but still thought this was a pretty darn good episode... despite that structure really.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:

Puppy, I agree. But I still loved the episode.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Well, when Sarah was in the trunk the parallel storyline thing was used. But yeah, it was mostly what you said.
blindsay
Member # 11787

- posted      Profile for blindsay   Email blindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:

Puppy, I agree. But I still loved the episode.
Even though I hated the actual movie, it worked for Vantage Point, mainly because you received clues each time a different point of view was introduced. In this episode of Terminator it just did not work, because you pretty much already knew what was happening.

I love the show. I especially like the mystery surrounding Cameron. I still don't know if she is more human than she is letting on. I go over to my parents house to watch it with my father every Monday and always joke with him that I think Cameron has an emotion chip like Data. It almost seems as if she is in love with John.

Then I get this nasty thought that the future John Conner has a robotic sex slave. I need to go get checked out...

Posts: 45 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

I'm going to miss Cromartie! He was my favorite bad guy. I guess now it will be the T-1000 Irish chick who is the chief baddie.

I would like to see some further explanation of why a terminator showed up who looked like Agent Ellison. Does that mean Ellison has an important role, that becomes known to Skynet in the future?

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Irish chick
Scottish chick. You've got your celts confused.

My mother (who is Scottish) loves that there's a Terminator who sounds like she's from Edinburgh.
Of course, as soon as she came on screen we both looked at each other and said 'She's British, she must be evil'. [Wink]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ok, so Cromartie didn't actually go rogue, he still went ahead with the mission to kill John. And the Ellison impersonator was after Ellison as Ellison is a friend of John's. So why the heck did Cromartie kill the Ellison impersonator? If he thought that Ellison could lead him to John (that's what he said) he only had to convince Ellison's impersonator to not kill Ellison.

Or maybe the Ellison impersonator was after Ellison because Ellison helps the T-1000, in which case it's John who sent it. But somehow I doubt that that's what happened.

And what about Cameron telling the shrink (in the episode in which she "remembers" she's human and then comes back to reality) that she's going to kill John? Did I imagine that? She's waiting for him to do something before she kills him? It was only a joke? (???)

Aaaaargh! Must stop thinking about this!

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Robo-Ellison was there to kill Ellison.
Cromartie killed RE against SkyNets wishes because he believed Ellison would lead him to John. (He said Skynet doesn't belive in you like I do, or something along those lines.)

Cameron was borked. Nothing she said has to be true.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Maybe Cromartie has gone rogue. He may have another agenda just like the Scottish one does. The fact that his prime directive is to kill John just overrides that.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Robo-Ellison was there to kill Ellison.
Cromartie killed RE against SkyNets wishes because he believed Ellison would lead him to John. (He said Skynet doesn't believe in you like I do, or something along those lines.)

That could be sorted through logical arguments, they're robots after all. To decide that you have to KILL one of Skynet's robots means you already know what Skynet thinks and wants to do, and somehow you trust your own logic more than that of a much more complex system. Seems strange.

quote:

Cameron was borked. Nothing she said has to be true.

That's the problem though: when and how did she "un-brake"? We have no way to say when she is or isn't broken. To say her motivations are subject to unseen & seemingly random chip failures means you rob the viewer of any way to make sense of her actions. Also, were Cameron's memories broken too? Did she or did she not kill her human counterpart in order to get to John? From someone who's going to "save humanity" that's not a very humane thing to do. I know, robot = easily to implant false memories and all, but that doesn't explain anything, just lets you choose the version that's convenient for explaining what the writers couldn't explain.

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Maybe Cromartie has gone rogue. He may have another agenda just like the Scottish one does. The fact that his prime directive is to kill John just overrides that.

What we've seen from his agenda is that he wanted to kill John and keep Ellison alive. If the latter is only in order to find John, then that's not a big change in agenda. If, instead, he was in a team with the T-1000, and they're both breakaways from Skynet, and he wanted to keep Ellison alive for the T-1000 too, then we're getting somewhere. Unfortunately there's been no sign of this anywhere. Ellison was spared, then saved by Cromartie so that the show would keep one of its cool characters; that's how it looks to me this far. :shrug:

I'm thinking about this too much. [Big Grin]

Lisa
Member # 8384

If they were all about saving cool characters, they wouldn't have killed Cromartie.
Scott R
Member # 567

While I liked Cromartie, I'm even happier that the show's writers are confident enough to not need to keep him around forever.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then I get this nasty thought that the future John Conner has a robotic sex slave. I need to go get checked out...
Well, considering he chose a Summer Glau chassis, the kid has taste.

The show is getting hard to follow in the "who's working for SkyNet" sense. There seems to be several different factions - those working for SkyNet, those working for John, and perhaps those running independent - and we don't know who's who.

I have the strangest feeling that, if Scottish chick did meet up with John, she wouldn't kill him instantly. Her motives are different.

Also, what still puzzles me is why is the Scottish chick looking for other terminators?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

To mate!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.