FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work (Page 2)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it just becomes egregiously horrible (and as long as the episodes are made available on Hulu), I'll give it a season.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.

I sat through season 1 of Buffy (all on hulu), and really didn't enjoy most of it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that Echo needed an anchor--
We should call it a "constant" instead and then there can be a ludicrous Lost/Dollhouse crossover in the season finale!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Same here.

I sat through season 1 of Buffy (all on hulu), and really didn't enjoy most of it.

I didn't hate the first season of Buffy, but it got so much better in the following seasons. And the same with Angel (although to a lesser degree) I'm on the third season now and I care more about the characters and enjoy the episodes much more than the first season. As for Firefly, the first season, being the only season in an awesome series, made it an awesome season. I still tear up when I think of what possible future seasons of Firefly could have been like, given Joss's trend of ever-increasing seasonal quality.

So I'm actually willing to give Dollhouse at least one season and a few episodes, as long at there is clear potential throughout.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think the Dollhouse was just the offices of Wolfram and Hart with a different paint job?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Did anyone else think the Dollhouse was just the offices of Wolfram and Hart with a different paint job?

No, not really.

What parts? The inside? No. The outside? I don't think so.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean though! Has to be the same designer.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I read something about that, and it was the same designer.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Hmmm...I'll have to watch it again.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Eliza Dushku particularly needs is voice coaching. Her voice itself is a little bit harsh and the only way she seems to act with it is to change the volume.

I like those bed things. Maybe it's a new mom of twins thing, but they looked so comfortable and peaceful.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I didn't read it, Joss said it during one of the joint interviews they had with him and Eliza Dushku.

I like her husky, bedroom voice. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out a possible reason for the odd bedroom system. They could be overlooked if the dollhouse were raided at night, thus protecting the actives from capture.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still an inefficient way of storing them.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. It fell a little flat, but Whedon's pilots always do. I think Dushku can grow into the role. I liked her handler, I liked seeing Helo return in a new character, I liked the owners of the Dollhouse. I liked how they were convinced and how they could easily go either way -- good guy or bad guy. I liked the tech, though he reminded me disturbingly of Warren from Buffy (I don't think it was the same actor). I'll give it a season, doesn't hurt and it might be good.

The people saying Whedon's traditional ironic human is missing are right though. It was almost completely lacking. Again, it often is lacking from his pilots though.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Very Condensed Opinion:

I think that episode went better than the pilot. It's still not great, but I'm starting to feel intrigued. (Something I wasn't feeling from the pilot)

I'll keep watching.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How soon after shows air do they go up on Hulu, typically?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it varies from show to show. For BSG, I know they've been putting them up pretty close to midnight after they aired, but that was only for the first five episodes of the last half of this season. The last five won't appear on there until after 8 days have gone by.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I think this episode was marginally more intriguing, but i'm still annoyed with the narrative tactics, the process of revealing the story, and the character development. and the dialogue is still CLUNKY!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else have their signal disappear toward the end of the episode? I don't know what happened from the point Echo's handler got shot. Can someone tell me what happened? (Put up a spoiler warning for those who didn't see.)
~Sala

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS
TwP recaplet

Boyd is shot in the side and losing large amounts of blood. They stand out in the open for some time, having a drawn out conversation, instead of hiding (???) but what's important here is that Boyd told Echo the trigger words (everything is going to be alright) and she doesn't respond the way she's supposed to (now that you're here). Instead, she points out the obvious, then goes to kill the bad guy, despite Boyd's protests that she doesn't have the right imprint, oops I mean training. She looks confused for a second (more confused than usual) but shoots back by asking Boyd if he trusts her. He says 'with my life'. Echo finds the bad guy and eventually stabs him to death with his own arrow, after some trash talk and a fight.

Back at the dollhouse, Echo's imprint and memories are wiped. She encounters Laurence on her way out, and he says some kind of mean/stupid things to her, about putting her in the attic and such, which she responds to with a blank stare and an announcement that she is going to go swimming in the pool now. Then, when his back is turned, she makes the grabbing shoulder gesture that she learned on her mission. Dun dun dun...

In the Dr's office, Doc and Boyd chat over the dead body of the fake ranger. Boyd explains that he didn't intend for the ranger to die, and Doc points out that he missed the major arteries when he shot the ranger in the leg. They both observe how the ranger really died - knife wounds, exactly like Alpha's other victims. Doc states that this is impossible because Alpha was hunted down and killed, but Boyd argues that the people in charge probably lied about that.

Speaking of people in charge, Adelle rants to Lawrence about the fact that their background checks are worthless if they don't catch things like 'raging psychopath'. Lawrence explains that the bad guy's entire background, from birth on up, was completely fabricated, and they've never seen something this involved.

I didn't get the order of events right, but that's basically what happened.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This episode started to remind me of Red vs Blue, Reconstruction. Partly just because they use the word "Alpha" but the context seemed fairly similar as well, with all these fragments of artificial personalities getting chucked around. I assume Alpha is a composite of several personalities that went haywire.

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
Did anyone else have their signal disappear toward the end of the episode? I don't know what happened from the point Echo's handler got shot. Can someone tell me what happened? (Put up a spoiler warning for those who didn't see.)
~Sala

You can watch episodes on both Hulu.com and Fox.com the day after. (I think they go up at 5 AM)

"I have four brothers. None of them are democrats."

Made me laugh.

[ February 21, 2009, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
... I liked seeing Helo return in a new character...

Really? Because we were pretty sure it was still Helo, just in a suit. No new character there. [Smile]

I think we're just going to keep watching it for now - but when it goes up against the BSG finale, well, priorities will rule.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Alpha, Echo? Where are Bravo, Charlie, and Delta?

edit: ooh, and I forgot about Sierra! My theory is confirmed! [Smile]

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Lasagna Girl is an Active.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Ladyday and Raymond, Thanks!!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:

I thought from the first time they called her 'Echo' it was supposed to be obvious the Actives had military codenames.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I had assumed Echo was intended to showcase her "echoing" various personalities and that Alpha was just the first one (still experimental).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:

I thought from the first time they called her 'Echo' it was supposed to be obvious the Actives had military codenames.
Want confirmation? Go to the source... IMDB:

quote:
All of the names of the girls used in the Dollhouse are named after the NATO phonetic alphabet (Echo, Sierra).

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"Exuberant price"? I think she meant "exorbinant".

And Nighthawk, those comments on IMdb are hardly a reliable source. They're about the same as someone here saying so. But it's clearly true. And I think we'll find that except for Echo and Alpha, most of the Actives are near the end of the alphabet, because Alpha killed the early ones.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was an ok episode, and I appreciated the background info that I'm sure will lead somewhere fascinating. I will say that this episode struck me more than the first as lacking the magic that I expect from Joss. It wasn't bad, it just didn't seem fantastic [Frown] Also, I just kept having flashbacks to the old Fantasy Island episode with the hunting of humans... I guess it's hard to do much terribly different with such an iconic topic.

As for Exuberant, exorbitant would have made more sense, but exuberant could work in this context, just with a somewhat odd feel to it.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason Bourne... thank you to whoever mentioned him first. I was trying to recall what movie had the same general premise. I remembered The Pretender, I'd never seen Alias, but I knew there was something else out there that felt very similar with the whole imprinting thing.

I'm still reserving judgment. I watched the first two episodes back to back on Hulu and I'm not quite sure what's going on yet.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The second episode was worlds better than the pilot.

Whedon's series have always been ensemble affairs with quirky characters doing and saying quirky things in quirky settings. There's really none of that in Dollhouse; the only quirky person is the neuro-technician or whatever; and Echo cannot be said to even have a personality of her own.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
The second episode was worlds better than the pilot.

Agreed! In spades!

quote:

and Echo cannot be said to even have a personality of her own.

Yet.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

quote:

and Echo cannot be said to even have a personality of her own.

Yet.
Agreed. I think we'll see more and more that she has fleeting memories of things she shouldn't remember, and along with those memories we'll start to see a single personality (which is her own personality) breaking through, trying to decipher what's happening.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Is it just me or in one of the scenes where she gets wiped, there's a brief shot, if I remember, from the POV of a baby being lifted out of a crib by (I assume) a mother. I think that was in the second episode.

That seems to me like a nice little, brief, hint to some of the problems (and plot developments) that might develop later in the series.

Can any one second my memory?

Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. You must've been wiped.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Plot Conspiracy Theory #Q.

Everyone except Neuro-Tech is an active.

Boss Lady--Active who is created to be the best Boss Lady.

Lead Security--Active who is created to be the best in security.

FBI Agent mindlessly chasing them--is an Active.

Echo's Handler--is an active.

etc. etc.

My only proof--Two most important people in the place are having a high level discussion in expensive suits, and Neuro-Tech guy interrupts them, and they don't question him. He gets to dress casual, and seems to be the only one who touches the equipment. Even when Alpha went on a slice and dice spree--he couldn't touch Neuro-Tech guy. That's because of conditioning #1 commandment--thou shall not hurt Neuro-Tech guy.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it just me or in one of the scenes where she gets wiped, there's a brief shot, if I remember, from the POV of a baby being lifted out of a crib by (I assume) a mother. I think that was in the second episode.

That seems to me like a nice little, brief, hint to some of the problems (and plot developments) that might develop later in the series.

Can any one second my memory?

I caught that during the very first wipe that they showed. I had thought that this was the first time they wiped her memory, but it might be due to them using complete personalities -- maybe the baby memory was from the imprint.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Dan, I love that theory. If that's what Joss has done it's a little Blade Runnerish, but I think that Philip K Dick would approve.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even when Alpha went on a slice and dice spree--he couldn't touch Neuro-Tech guy.
Neuro-Tech Guy didn't seem too confident, and kept asking for a gun of his own.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If everyone else is storming through with weapons, and making no apparent effort to protect me or get me to safety, damn straight I'd want a weapon too.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if you don't feel that you're in any danger from the threat.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be that Alpha went hay-wire to the point that even tech-guy was afraid. Ultimately the conditioning worked, but you could understand him thinking it might not work so well for him.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yeah. When the robot is blatantly disregarding laws 2 and 3, law #1 doesn't seem so secure anymore.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

As an aside... Amy Acker is still beautiful even with scars.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*nod*

And water is still wet. [Wink]

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
If everyone else is storming through with weapons, and making no apparent effort to protect me or get me to safety, damn straight I'd want a weapon too.
More damning to the theory, though, is the fact that he wasn't given one after voicing his request the first time.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Neuro-Tech is a Cylon ...
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus wins the thread.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.