FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work (Page 3)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My only proof--Two most important people in the place are having a high level discussion in expensive suits, and Neuro-Tech guy interrupts them, and they don't question him. He gets to dress casual, and seems to be the only one who touches the equipment. Even when Alpha went on a slice and dice spree--he couldn't touch Neuro-Tech guy. That's because of conditioning #1 commandment--thou shall not hurt Neuro-Tech guy.
As much as I like your theory, this could simply be explained as 1) urgent situation 2) it's his technology. For all his youthful appearance, he's obviously their equal in importance.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling Topher is the Wash of Dollhouse.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Plot Conspiracy Theory #Q.

Everyone except Neuro-Tech is an active.

Boss Lady--Active who is created to be the best Boss Lady.

Lead Security--Active who is created to be the best in security.

FBI Agent mindlessly chasing them--is an Active.

Echo's Handler--is an active.

etc. etc.

My only proof--Two most important people in the place are having a high level discussion in expensive suits, and Neuro-Tech guy interrupts them, and they don't question him. He gets to dress casual, and seems to be the only one who touches the equipment. Even when Alpha went on a slice and dice spree--he couldn't touch Neuro-Tech guy. That's because of conditioning #1 commandment--thou shall not hurt Neuro-Tech guy.

This is an interview with a certain actor in the series, and this actor says something that (I think) hints at a plot development you just speculated about.
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

My thoughts exactly.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Now, see, a week ago that comment would have made no sense to me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
A week ago I made that comment elsewhere.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
For damn sure Wash is not going to be the Wash of this series.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That is an interesting casting choice. Very unexpected but I can totally see him pulling it off.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Firefly actors, it was good to see Badger again.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

Too bad he couldn't hide his accent!
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
A week ago I made that comment elsewhere.

Okay, but I wasn't comfortable with the choice until the second episode. Now it's obvious, and I'm okay with it.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

Have you been watching BSG? He was in an episode just a few weeks ago.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I bad that I think episode 2 is awfully early to be recycling "The Most Dangerous Game"?...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

How you're able to look yourself in the mirror after thinking that, I'll never understand.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Well, he can't, clearly because he's a vampire. Don't rub salt in the wound.

[Big Grin]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Or garlic.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Holy...water we going to do if somebody does go at him with garlic?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no stake in this pun fight.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Here comes the sun, and I say... AIIIGHHHH! *FWOOSH*
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all slay me.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm relieved that you think it's funny, Lisa--I was worried you'd be cross.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Puns suck.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
*runs away smoking*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess he was just in BSG again. Which is also amusing, given that it's Helo he's talking to.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: bite me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Porter, I just want to say that I really appreciate your being so vocal about the fact that you're not happy about Scott's attitude in this thread. With regard to policing his actions, you're really in the van. Hell, sing your protests and they wouldn't be any clearer or more ringing than they are now.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

(That one took me a while.)
Noemon
Member # 1115

It was pretty tortured, I admit. I'm glad that I could count on you to take the time to parse it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Here comes the sun, and I say... AIIIGHHHH! *FWOOSH*

By the way, to give credit where credit is due, I laughed aloud when I read this.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh never.

Wash was a technician, but had an innocence and a zen that was very powerful. His wife was the one that carried the gun. He wouldn't hurt a fly.

Besides, it was the story of Rugged Individualism VS State Sponsored Control.

Topher is more than willing to carry a gun. He has no moral center--one of the most sociopathic characters on TV.

Besides, it is the story of the dangers of science dehumanizing man, and he is the literal dehumanizer.

Wash brought a humanity to Sereity, the ship.
Topher takes the humanity of Echo, the person.

Not the same.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
It was pretty tortured, I admit. I'm glad that I could count on you to take the time to parse it.

It reminded me of a previous construction of yours where we learned that the Thick Cheesy always discharges its debts.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I was thinking more along the lines of the blonde guy with snazzy outfits who likes to make comedic one-liners and has a odd mix of childlike humor and a mature comprehension of the seriousness of his situation. And I imagine an interesting part of Dollhouse will be how Topher develops a moral center. The whole thing with Alpha clearly shows that he doesn't have the control he pretends to, and at some point he'll have to deal with that.

In the meantime, he'll make jokes and make me laugh.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Snazzy outfits? Wash wore a flight suit with Hawaiian shirts over them.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

It reminded me of a previous construction of yours where we learned that the Thick Cheesy always discharges its debts.
:: laugh :: I'd forgotten about that.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It haunts me to this day.
Noemon
Member # 1115

:D
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
eesh. New Yorker absolutely brutalized this show with their initial review.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Link?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2009/03/02/090302crte_television_franklin?currentPage=1

quote:
Now, with “Dollhouse,” Whedon is back on Fox, and the second time is probably not the charm. Only people who are willing to cut Whedon endless slack could find anything much to draw them in to this show, at least in the three episodes I’ve seen. So far, the vision, humor, and storytelling skill you’d expect to find are absent, and at the core of the series is an unpromising performance by Eliza Dushku (from “Buffy” and “Angel”).
quote:
the primary qualification that Dushku brings to the part is that she graduated with honors from the Royal Academy of Cleavage. In terms of gender studies, it is notable that Dushku’s demeanor as a zombie is much the same as the demeanor many actresses her age resort to when trying to project an image of themselves as unthreatening and “feminine”: a slouchy walk, a bobbly head, and ever-parted lips. Would someone please show these actresses a movie starring Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Bette Davis, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, or Judy Davis? Whedon wants to explore the farthest corners of our natures to discover what it means to be human. But this vehicle, which he created specifically for Dushku, doesn’t seem fit for the journey.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks!

And...ouch.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love bad reviews. All they do is drum up interest while simultaneously setting the bar low. Thank you, New Yorker!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, and JT's music sucks!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Preach it, brother!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Scott: bite me.

Well, how old are you?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He prefers his meat unblemished by puberty. Or even a birthday.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the vision, humor, and storytelling skill you’d expect to find are absent....
Much as I find in the New Yorker. [Wink]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray, more Amy Acker tonight! I liked it when Topher said she and Boyd could get married and have scowly babies.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
For damn sure Wash is not going to be the Wash of this series.

So he turned in to a Reaver.

"I am like a leaf in the..." *** STAB! SLICE! EVISCERATE! STAB! ***

[ February 28, 2009, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I still like it, despite the fact that the music of the last episode is not really my type. [Big Grin]

So, in the end, Echo and Sierra were still remembering something, weren't they? I guess the genius isn't that much of a genius...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Yeah, I think Topher is still a genius, but even he's in over his head.

I didn't really like the plot, with divas and arrogant singers and obsessive fans, but I'm happy that the show shifts from theme to theme. I hope never to see those singers / dancers again.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.