FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work (Page 11)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 'Dollhouse' Whedon's newest, strangest work
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
First impression: wow, Alan Tudyk has really put on some muscle since Firefly! They certainly got him into doll shape...

Second, shouldn't Ballard be noticing these things? Despite his knowledge of dollhouse he doesn't even question the beautiful neighbor who's always making him food and can break necks at the drop of a hat until it's blatantly shoved in his face. Now, he meets up with a pothead who never goes out and drinks his own urine, but is somehow built like an athlete, and doesn't even question it, he's so focused on "save Caroline!" Anyone else think he's not the smartest cookie in the jar? (especially since his entire job is supposedly putting together small clues)

I enjoyed some of the quick references to other sci-fi shows of similar nature in this episode. At one point, Topher says "frak!" (a reference to BSG), and at another, Adelle briefly mentions visiting "the Centre". (a pretty blatant reference to The Pretender)

Show's getting better, really liked some of the personal touches in the last few episodes, made the characters a bit more human.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the way the "Russian" assassin was killed in Ballard's apartment -- neck snapped after head rammed into coffee table during struggle -- could have been an accident, and he had no reason to think it wasn't until later. And Tudyk did not look muscular until a) he put on the skin tight clothing and b) started carrying himself like Alpha. Initially he looked like a stoner. Then he put the clothes on and you could tell he was in decent shape, but didn't look especially ripped.
Then he appeared in front of Dr. Saunders, and he was both powerful and menacing.

Tudyk himself said he has a Ned Flanders sort of body, you don't notice the muscle right away.

Also, the BSG reference? Possibly because the episode was written by Jane Espenson, one of the BSG writers [Smile]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that the Frak actually made sense in context, since it's perfectly reasonable to assume Topher HAS seen BSG and has simply adopted the use of the word for himself (I've done that with some shows I like)
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
It's also possible that Topher merely imprinted his own personality into Alpha during one of the testing stages. Topher obviously DOES think so highly of himself that I wouldn't put it past him to assume his level of brilliance was clearly something worth experimenting with.

I think that's obviously the case. Topher was affected by the drug, so he can't be an active. But Alpha seems to be the sum of all his imprints. For some reason, despite the wiping, he has access to every imprint that was applied to him, including Topher's. Either that drove him maniac-crazy, or one of the imprints was a wacko, but either way, it makes him extremely dangerous. Imagine Echo with the combined skills and instabilities of just all the imprints we've seen her get this season.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
General consensus on Whedonesque is that Alpha was, at some point, one of Topher's birthday buddies, imprinted by Topher with Topher.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: I guess so, but still... he's put on at least 20 pounds since Firefly. As soon as he put on the doll outfit I was thinking "no way this guy is who he claims to be."
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris - That's what I was thinking! I only wondered because Sierra as birthday buddy didn't have all the same mannerisms, just all the same interests.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

From the interview I saw:

Speaking of which, you look like you put on some muscle for the part.
TUDYK: Yes, because they cast a damn body double that looks like the Hulk! Joss showed me the first episode where you see Alpha from behind and I was like, "Oh my God. I've got a lot of work to do." But I have a Ned Flanders kind of body. When I'm wearing baggy clothes you wouldn't expect that I have any muscle. Just like in tonight's episode. I don't look too wildly in shape at first. It's when I put on the tight shirt that you see it.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
General consensus on Whedonesque is that Alpha was, at some point, one of Topher's birthday buddies, imprinted by Topher with Topher.

Chekov's gun? Hmm... I guess that makes sense.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Sierra didn't quite seem like a Topher clone, but I could definitely see him trying out a direct clone of himself as one of his earlier birthday buddies.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chekov's gun?
I had to look that term up. Interesting.

quote:
Sierra didn't quite seem like a Topher clone...
I wouldn't want a direct clone of myself, either - I'd drive myself mad.

Topher has already shown that he can combine personalities; perhaps in Alpha's case he simply combined the wrong ones.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Alright, I've watched it again and I think you're right. Does Alpha then have a bunch of imprints that he can utilize? If he does, and he has Topher's imprint (that means that Topher is an active)...wow. Who's not an active?

Fyfe, you're right. Once you notice, it is unmistakable.

It could explain Topher's fear of the chair. Someone (maybe Alpha, maybe not) builds a tech master imprint that includes a fear of his own tech just to make sure he's never in a position to get wiped or reprinted.

With regard to that psych drug from the college campus... I seem to recall Echo, Victor and Sierra all reacted, although later than "normal" people.

Edit because I just had a wild idea...

Topher is a doll. A sleeper like Mellie, perhaps, but still a doll. The annual "diagnostic" testing that he did with Sierra is actually a diagnostic for Adelle, etc. to see how well Topher is holding up as compared to the original personality. We've already gotten indications that Adelle, while apparently in control of the LA House, reports to a higher power somewhere. I don't think that was just a cover story to have a weekend tryst with the Roger personality in the beachhouse. Therefore, a diagnostic like this would allow those overseers to monitor Topher's adjustment as well.

Which makes me wonder... Topher said that the dolls didn't react because of the mindscrub process. I don't remember the exact details, but he credited the wipe and imprint sequence as their protection. If Topher is a sleeper, he's had the same personality imprint for a while. Maybe that duration caused him to lose some of his "immunity". I wonder how Mellie would have reacted if she'd been on campus.

[ May 04, 2009, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
With regard to that psych drug from the college campus... I seem to recall Echo, Victor and Sierra all reacted, although later than "normal" people.

But not like normal people. Normal people went loopy. Echo, Victor and Sierra all started flashing back to old imprints.

Topher and DeWitt reacted like everyone else.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they really have exhausted the pool of potential surprise dolls at this point. It's not an interesting reveal anymore, anyway [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm kind of with you, Puppy.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:
I think they really have exhausted the pool of potential surprise dolls at this point. It's not an interesting reveal anymore, anyway [Smile]

Now they need to do the opposite. Someone who we think is a doll, but really isn't.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppy:

Except for the Doctor, who I'm 99.9% sure is a doll, but that hasn't been revealed yet. I went back and watched 'Echos' where the drug showed who was and wasn't an active, and Amy Acker did not make an appearance.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I also remember there being a scene a couple episodes back where someone asked Acker whether or not she even leaves the Dollhouse. There wasn't a conclusive answer, if I recall correctly.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, between Fyfe's observation and a few key lines in past episodes, it's obvious now that Alpha has some connection with Topher. Most likely Alpha was imprinted with Topher at some point.

The reason I say that is, remember the episode where Echo was remote wiped. When they were discussing who was capable of doing it, I think it may have been Topher who said that only he or Alpha would have been able to figure it out. Now why would Topher think that Alpha could match him? We've all seen how prideful Topher is (and rightly so), so naturally, the only person aside from himself that he could believe capable... is a copy of himself. Though maybe it was Dewitt that suggested Alpha, but still.

That might also help to explain why Topher also remained untouched when Alpha went on his initial rampage.

I really like the idea about Alpha being the subject of an earlier calibration. I think that these last 2 episodes coming back to back tells us that Whedon wants us to see this connection (Though I think real credit goes to Fyfe on this one, cause I never would have put this together if it hadn't already been pointed out) or at the very least, wants to look back and realize that it was always there (more likely I think).

In any case, I think we can make a good case that Alpha was the "Inside man" that imprinted the secret message in Echo and November in order to get Ballard to take him into the Dollhouse and divert Boyd. If he has Topher's skills, then I don't think it would be beyond him, even if he had to do it remotely.

I don't think it would be a good idea for Topher to end up being an Active. It's bad form to straight out lie to the audience by making exceptions to your own rules. If they say the drug only affected non-Actives, then that should (ideally) be taken at face value.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
In any case, I think we can make a good case that Alpha was the "Inside man" that imprinted the secret message in Echo and November in order to get Ballard to take him into the Dollhouse and divert Boyd. If he has Topher's skills, then I don't think it would be beyond him, even if he had to do it remotely.

The trouble with this is that we saw a scene with Alpha mailing the picture/video of alpha to Ballard, yet when Millie/November is talking with Ballard she states that the inside man did not send the envelopes. So unless he imprinted her to lie about that (and it doesn't seem like there is any reason for that) it's a no-go.

Also, my guess (though admittedly it's just a guess) is that Alpha needed Ballard to lead him back to the Dollhouse because he had forgotten where it was. Or perhaps he was just bringing Ballard there to distract security while he went for Echo.

Additionally, when re-watching the episode where they catch Dominic, and there's still points of confusion/error that are bugging me..

1) Dominic claims that the chip is NSA tech, but makes no claims that he has been using it. He claims that he's been honest about his methods, and that he's only worked to protect the Dollhouse. The usages of the chip that we've seen haven't seemed to be in-line with Dominic's stated goals or claims to have been honest about his methods. but then why would he claim the chip was NSA?

2) It's questionable whether Millie's corrupted imprint was performed after the chip was removed. Though I guess I could chalk this up to time compression or something and say that Topher discovered it immediately after imprinting her (but then wouldn't he have tried holding off on letting her go?).

The basic conundrum here is whether or not Dominic was actually using the chip or if he's covering for someone else for some reason.

We have plenty of candidates who could have implanted/used it for various reasons, but Dominic just doesn't seem right.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that after the Alpha attack, they moved the Dollhouse to a different location so that he wouldn't be able to find his way back. As a safety precaution. And he dangled Ballard in front of the Dollhouse to get them to slip up enough so that he could get their location.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the NSA chip was planted by Dominic and had nothing to do with Millie's secret reveal.

Doesn't sound likely they moved the location. It does sound odd that Alpha didn't know where it was. At the least Ballard was a useful sidekick for him to get in and out with little detection. Seems like a lot of effort to slowly entice Ballard with enough information to finally find it.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Yay for Whedon et al. I think they did a great job with this first season, especially once Fox let them off their leash. It looks to be exiting, unique, quirky, and entertaining (provided it's not canceled).

I'm liking the idea of Alpha viewing himself as a ubermensch, with a hard core schizophrenia of his several dozen personalities. I like the idea of Ballard 'working' for the Dollhouse. I'm sure he's still going to try and take it down, but it'll be interesting to see how he handles it, and how Adelle handles him. I'm liking Dr. Saunders' / Whiskey's self-awareness as a doll, and look forward to see how that develops, along with her and Topher's relationship.

I think the show has proven it's potential, and just hope that Fox sees that.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I loved Alpha's acting, and actually was kinda impressed with Echo's acting as well. There were a few moments where you saw her shift personalities and I was surprised that I could recognized.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how I felt about this episode. Somehow it made Alpha less scary to me. I did like Whiskey's self-awareness.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I definitely agree - love it that Whiskey now knows she's a doll.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it a little jarring that Alpha suddenly had trouble keeping his personalities in check when in the very last episode he spent quite a good chunk of time pretending to be the building designer guy, and pulling it off perfectly.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I've always liked Whiskey and I'm really glad to see her character developing.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

If there is a second season, I'm wondering how/if we'll see November anymore. I hope it's something more than Ballard stalking her and hitting on her every chance he gets.

And the first scene where Whiskey is giving the captive a lap dance... that was way more hot than anything Echo could have done. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Alpha had trouble in last night's episode keeping the personalities straight because he was not really trying with Echo. Echo was his soulmate, he figured he did not need to keep up appearances with her, he could just relax and be himself.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

It's not looking good...
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I found it a little jarring that Alpha suddenly had trouble keeping his personalities in check when in the very last episode he spent quite a good chunk of time pretending to be the building designer guy, and pulling it off perfectly.

I kind of assumed that he wasn't really going out in public and interacting with people, so that there wasn't much stress put on his keeping the personalities straight.

See also: certain copious amounts of medicinal plants. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they count online ratings when counting viewership?
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

They do (sometimes) but it doesn't count for as much.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the Fox folks looking at the ratings will take into account the new Star Trek movie just opening...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm guessing that Topher and Whiskey's original personality knew each other. Or why would he have answered her that way when she asked why he programmed her to hate him?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
It's not looking good...

Well, what did the imbeciles at Fox think would happen with a Friday night time slot?
Fyfe
Member # 937

I thought it was a self-loathing thing, with Topher and Whiskey...
The White Whale
Member # 6594

A glimmer of hope?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
ya baby

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-second-season.html

Hope this isn't a lie.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Um, got that covered, The Pixiest.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry whale, thought yours was the "leaning toward" story that was out earlier...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

And still no word on Terminator....

If they're renewing dollhouse it feels hypocritical to not renew Terminator - it ended with *slightly* better ratings and has a motion picture to help bring in more. Unless they seriously are just trying to make amends with the Whedonite community.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Dollhouse is much less expensive. That was the selling point. cheap.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Ah. I guess I can see that. That definitely was one of Terminator's major issues (especially given the finale's set up for season 3).
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Dollhouse is also expected to perform much stronger in DVD sales and tie-in stuff, though how on Earth they calculate that with any degree of certainty I'll never know.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking they are basing on the DVD sales v. ratings of Firefly, Angel and Buffy. Though that would be a pretty stupid basis, because the shows are way too different, still that is my guess for why they expect such high DVD sales.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Terminator already got a second season and ratings still went down, and FOX knows how sales on the 1st season DVD did. It's not the same thing at all.

Presales on the Dollhouse DVD were strong, streaming and DVR numbers were excellent, and when he filmed a 13th episode in a couple of days with half the budget (which will be on the DVD) Joss demonstrated he could make good shows more cheaply. The demo for FOX execs was the 13th ep and Joss' pitch for the different direction of the 2nd season.

Also, while ratings weren't great, they weren't any worse than other FOX shows they've run on Friday nights and since the set's already been built, new shows of Dollhouse would be cheaper than starting a new one fresh (a reduced budget was apparently part of the deal). Positive buzz from the renewal and Joss' fan base may help pump up numbers next year.

Probably didn't hurt that Dollhouse fans helped break the FOX customer service phone bank Friday [Smile]

The White Whale
Member # 6594

The Pixiest, you were right. My first link had the story that Fox was leaning towards giving a second season. Now both links (yours and mine) are the same, saying that it had granted a second season.

Sorry for being snippy. Strange shifting URLs.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Terminator already got a second season and ratings still went down, and FOX knows how sales on the 1st season DVD did. It's not the same thing at all.
Terminator ratings have remained pretty constant the whole time. When it was moved to a Friday slot, the ratings went down exactly the same amount you'd expect any show to go down when moved to Friday, and the DVRs were similar to Dollhouse. I have no idea what the Season 2 preorder numbers look like though. (It doesn't surprise me that Season 1 didn't sell that well because Season 2 was there the show really picked up, IMO).
Fyfe
Member # 937

Oh hooray! I am so pleased - I was completely expecting Dollhouse to be canceled, and my other show too, Better Off Ted, and instead they have BOTH been renewed!
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.