FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can top that.

My rabbi TEACHES at a Catholic law school. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Yeshiva University has medical and law schools, but they are more like Jew-friendly (holidays and such). My experience at Fordham hasn't been very Catholic.

Tom - We sent it around to every Jewish music blog we knew - once it built up among Jews, and going viral on that level, we started sending it out to anyone and everyone. I have a friend who has a friend who works at Huffington Post.

JPost randomly contacted us, we didn't speak with them.

But today, the calls came in from NBC, CBS, CNN, NYPost, etc.

This is utter craziness. Thanks everyone for being so awesome! The best part of this is friends/family who are going through this with all of us. You don't know how much it means to me that I show up on hatrack and see a maccabeats thread. Blew my mind.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

HuffPo is unquestionably what took it viral. (I said as much at the time, neh?)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Armoth! [Big Grin]

(Also now I can't get the chorus out of my head.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's up over 450,000 this morning. Quite a night for Maccabeats. At this rate, how long will it take to beat the video you are parodying.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Now over 500,000 and rising.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The video they're parodying is up around 3 million (definitely reachable). The song that both those videos are based on is up on the 50 million range (not so much).

Great video Armoth, I've watched it a few times, and passed it along to my family who also loves it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
The video they're parodying is up around 3 million (definitely reachable).
I wonder how many hits the Mike Tompkins video is getting because of the Maccabeats video. I can't be the only one who hadn't seen it and probably never would have had it not been for the Maccabeats.
Armoth
Member # 4752

For those of you in the tri-state area, check out CBS2 at around 5:40
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I can't be the only one who hadn't seen it and probably never would have had it not been for the Maccabeats.

You're not!
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
For those of you in the tri-state area, check out CBS2 at around 5:40

I'm guessing you don't mean Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana, right?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Looks like the rest of us can listen live.

Edit: Bah! Not to the TV stream, just to their sibling radio stations.

[ December 02, 2010, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
600K. This counting is going a lot faster than the Meese voting.

ETA: Sheesh. How many of you guys are there?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Video from the local news is up! Currently the 8th item (hee!) but that will change.

Armoth
Member # 4752

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/category/video-on-demand-news/?clipId=5347434&flvUri&partnerclipid&topVideoCatNo=191878&c&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFo rmat=flv

Thanks for everything guys. Emotionally and physically exhausted right now...

Going to NBC tomorrow morning

rivka
Member # 4859

Direct link! Much better.

How did tonight's concert go?

Armoth
Member # 4752

It went great. Insanity. We performed Candlelight live and was awesome. Off to NBC!!! Wish me luck!
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
And now the guy I share my office with just pulled up CNN.com and evidently you're on the front page. So now I'm listening to it. Again. :-)
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

And here is the clip from the Today Show this morning.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Your youtube video has over 850,000 hits now. If this keeps up through the remaining days of Hanukkah, you should pass the video you are parodying.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN's coverage.

Mazel Tov!

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*tongue in cheek* Well, I guess Jews really do control the media. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You need to totally plug Hatrack.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
CNN's coverage.

Mazel Tov!

Why, do you suppose, they never mention "Light One Candle", in litany of Hanukkah songs? Perhaps it would interfere with their point that decent Hanukkah songs didn't exist until the past few years.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because "Light One Candle" isn't a very good song, and moreover is only obliquely about Hanukkah.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Probably because "Light One Candle" isn't a very good song, and moreover is only obliquely about Hanukkah.

It has "Maccabee children" in the opening line; how much more direct of a connection do you want?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

They're otherwise pretty much irrelevant to the lyrics. In fact, the song hints pretty strongly that no one else has to suffer like the Maccabee children did, because the great peacemaker has since come; I'm pretty sure that comes close to mocking the point of the holiday.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
This song is way, way too catchy.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
They're otherwise pretty much irrelevant to the lyrics. In fact, the song hints pretty strongly that no one else has to suffer like the Maccabee children did, because the great peacemaker has since come; I'm pretty sure that comes close to mocking the point of the holiday.
Either you don't know the words to the song or you have grossly misunderstood them. There is nothing in the song about how no one else needs to suffer because the great peacemaker has come. In fact, it says just the opposite in several places. The lyrics were written by a Jew and the message is on maintaining a personal obligation to create peace and justice. While the song does ask for "The wisdom to know when the peace makers time is at hand", the context makes it pretty clear that "peace maker" means "us".
Here is a link to the lyrics.

Key phrases include:

quote:
Light one candle for those who are suffering
The Pain we learned so long ago

quote:
What's the commitment to those who have died?
We cry out "they've not died in vain,"
We have come this far, always believing
That justice will somehow prevail;
This is the burden and This is the promise,
This is why we will not fail!

If the song isn't to your taste, fine, but don't make claims about the lyrics unless you've actually bothered to find out what they are.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Since the article went on and on about bad "obliquely Hanukkah songs like "I have a little dreidel", I don't see how this offers an explanation.
rivka
Member # 4859

There are many good Chanukah songs.

They're just in Hebrew or Yiddish.

The average English-only speaker is not aware of "Light One Candle", Rabbit.

[ December 03, 2010, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys were on the main page of CNN when I checked it today. Congrats!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great song, and really well made video. Good job!
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The average English-only speaker is not aware of "Light One Candle", Rabbit.

Really?? By "not aware" you must mean "not aware its about Hanukkah" not "never heard it". It's the only Hanukkah song I've ever heard played in public places. In places I've lived, its been part of the standard Holiday muzak, the token nod to the fact that Christmas isn't the only "Holiday" people celebrate.

I never heard "I have a little dreihdel" until this past week.

rivka
Member # 4859

IME (and this does come up in conversation regularly this time of year, both IRL and all the various places I am and have been online), people know the dreidel song, the Sandler song, and have a vague notion that there are some others but don't know any of them.

I have NEVER heard "Light One Candle" played on the radio or in the mall, although I did learn it in school as a child. It was one of the two English Chanukah songs we learned. [Wink]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I guess this is just one more evidence of how out of touch I am with pop culture.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I just did an informal poll here in the office: I was the only one of sixteen people who'd heard "Light One Candle" at all, and that was only because I'd sung it once at a holiday event twenty years ago.
rivka
Member # 4859

Tom, one assumes (hopes?) you had heard it prior to singing it, neh? [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just listened to "Light One Candle," never heard it before. Sounded nice, though not particularly special, and I'll probably never hear it again.

We learned a couple Hanukkah songs when I was in elementary school, but I can't really remember them now. I always liked Hava Nagilah, it's catchy, but I don't think it's a holiday song.

It's really too bad there aren't more Jewish holiday songs. I know Jewish religious music can be beautiful, I've heard a lot of cantor music that blows my socks off, and moves me on a level, even though I have no idea what's being said, that 99% of Christmas music doesn't. I also wonder if there isn't something to be said for the benefits of not going mainstream/commercial like Christmas has. On the one hand, it has total commercial dominance over Hanukkah, but, it's also become a cheap, vapid plaything for corporations.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It's really too bad there aren't more Jewish holiday songs.

One more time: THERE ARE. JUST NOT IN ENGLISH.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%D7%97%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%9B%D7%94&aq=2

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Chiming in with two bits, here.

1. I've never even heard of "Light One Candle."

2. More importantly, that's a fabulous song (and video), Armoth! Congrats on the much-deserved success!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

One more time: THERE ARE. JUST NOT IN ENGLISH.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%D7%97%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%9B%D7%94&aq=2

You realize now, of course, that I'm going to pester you for translations on all these now?

Edit to add: I like the first song in this video. I tried to find longer versions of it, assuming it's supposed to have a longer version, but there aren't any good ones. Sounds like a Russian/Eastern European folk song too, which might be part of what I like it so much.

[ December 03, 2010, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I went to a Jewish Orthodox high school and we only knew of the Dreidel song and the Adam Sandler song.

I think you guys should be really proud of yourself.

Portraying the ancient practice in a friendly manner is from my perspective what might be termed (using Orthodox Jewish terminology) a "kidush to the Lord;" the exact phrase you likely know but I'd rather not write online.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Lyr, that's Yimei haChanukah, and I think it's actually Israeli, not European. That link has (a loose) translation and transliteration (and an American singing [Wink] ).

It also has an English version, but I rather prefer the Hebrew.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cool thanks!

I prefer the Hebrew as well (and a non-American singing!). Sounds kind of awkward in English.

rivka
Member # 4859

The Hebrew version is definitely the original.

(And the link has a bunch more Chanukah songs, most with translation and transliteration.)

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

http://www.starways.net/lisa/essays/hanukkahsongs.html
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys made it to Boing Boing
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I heard a rumor you'll also be performing on Chelsea Lately...?
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.