FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] @ AoS

Figures you'd come into this thread just to spread your poison.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
BTW CT, the site is not I'm A Mother (although that is the implied pun). It's Ima Mother -- Ima (pronounced ee-mah) is Hebrew for "mother".

It's actually a matter of taste, as I understand it. Someone I know on the group once asked, and was told that it was originally intended to be ImAMother, but a lot of women call it ImaMother. Is that not the case?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug*

I'm not a member, and so I only know second-hand. But I have several IRL friends who are regular posters, and this is what they told me.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
SNC is great, and I love their shows. We were going to see them in Orlando, but we weren't able due to a death in the family.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the CBS performance!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys were great! Congrats!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Now over 2 million hits.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Here is a link to the CBS performance!

Cool! I'd love to see the rest of it, too.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Early show:

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_early_show/video/?pid=SlbAKGFJEqtmP2h0zHHdcXP_AdaZtUtk

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Great performance, the song has really grown on me a lot even after something like 20 listens.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Very nice. [Smile]

*suppresses comments about people taking LoAs from school*

Armoth
Member # 4752

haha, Uri hated medical school. I'm glad he's leaving to do something he is passionate about. A bit jealous, in fact.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The youtube comments continue to amaze me.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
haha, Uri hated medical school.

Nonetheless. Finishing would serve him better, long run.

Of course, I wish him well, regardless.

Armoth
Member # 4752

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/a-hanukkah-miracle-set-to-music/?hpw

NYTimes blog

rivka
Member # 4859

I think that may be my favorite article so far.
Armoth
Member # 4752

really? how come? it was my least-favorite interview to do.
rivka
Member # 4859

1) Didn't perpetuate the notion that there is "no good Chanukah music".
2) Actually talked about what Chanukah is about.
3) Gave context and background. This one is big for me, and something most articles these days fail to do. This article did a great job of it.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the CBS performance now. DVRed the whole show and am fast-forwarding to the good parts.

Great performance and great interview. So well-spoken and genuine.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if you've sold a lot of CDs/iTunes songs.

I love the video, we went to a Shlock Rock concert motzi Shabbos and everyone was talking about it.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Our local NBC news station just included this video in the program!

So cool!

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder, do you make money every time a news station plays the clip?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused by the blooper reel. At no point do we see Armoth checking Hatrack.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
I'm confused by the blooper reel. At no point do we see Armoth checking Hatrack.

LOL. Next time.

I'm not sure about payment for when it's played but I do think we're getting an appearance fee.

As for our iTunes sales, check out #75...

http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/songs/

Lisa
Member # 8384

I watched Sing-Off last night. You were missed.
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would add that I am using the video, along with a trivia question about the Menorah, for my line-up at the end of each class’s trip to the technology lab (1st-5th grade). They love it! Of course, some of them are adamant that it is a total rip off of 'Dynamite'.

The veterans were expecting SNC-12 Days, as I have played that each of the last 3 years. They will get that next week, but great to have a song that all the kids like that hits home to about 15% of our population.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you and your friends are viral, you have been insulted by a meme.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by dem:
Just thought I would add that I am using the video, along with a trivia question about the Menorah, for my line-up at the end of each class’s trip to the technology lab (1st-5th grade). They love it! Of course, some of them are adamant that it is a total rip off of 'Dynamite'.

Doesn't count as a ripoff if credit is given.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Now that you and your friends are viral, you have been insulted by a meme.

I don't think so. That's just based on the original Dynamite.

But it inspired me, so here's my ode to trolls:

Cyberblight
by Lisa Liel

I’ll tell a tale tale tale tale
Of cyberspace's biggest fail fail fail fail
When a talkback's getting stale stale stale stale
I take the comments off the rail rail rail rail
Yeah, yeah,

I'll yammer on and on and on
Until all sanity is gone
Yeah-eah

I like to troll the internet sometimes
Saying ayy ohh
I'm an a**hole
Just posting "First!" can make me feel so fine
And I never
Shut my pie hole

I say it's photoshopped
I say that he's a fag
I say that I hate Jews
I say she's on the rag

And when I get thrown off
Because I'm such a pain
I make a sock puppet
And I shout "First!" again

I like to troll troll troll troll
Getting reactions is my goal goal - goal goal
I irritate you to your soul soul soul soul
'Cause I have no constructive role role role role
Yeah, yeah,

I don't care how inane I sound
You'll never stop me comin' round
Yeah-eah

I like to troll the internet sometimes
Saying ayy ohh
I'm an a**hole
Being obnoxious makes me feel so fine
And I never
Shut my pie hole

I say the movie blows
I say that he can't act
I say their voices suck
I tell you that's a fact

And when you disagree
It's you that I'll attack
And if you get me banned
You know that I'll be back

It's a great temptation
To tell me just shut up and go away
But it's that frustration
That makes it worth my while just to stay

'Cause taunting you
Is all that I came here to do
(Don't feed the troll
Don't feed the troll)
When you acknowledge that I'm there
It shows me that you really care care care care care care...

[bridge]

I say it's photoshopped
I say that he's a fag
I say that I hate Jews
I say she's on the rag

And when you disagree
It's you that I'll attack
And if you get me banned
You know that I'll be back...

[ December 07, 2010, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it isn't a ripoff...just thought it was funny to have 2nd graders jumping all over it. They know that they are not allowed to copy someone else's work, so this is a hard distinction for them to get.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Teaching moment! [Wink]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

Nope. Even if there was money to be made from such a play (which there isn't when it's an internet video), the money would go to the writers and publishers.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:

Nope. Even if there was money to be made from such a play (which there isn't when it's an internet video), the money would go to the writers and publishers.
But Armoth is the writer. At least he wrote the lyrics. I have no idea who would be considered the publisher.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Co-wrote the lyrics.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not the original writer. Parody can be (and likely would be) given a derivative work copyright in this case. So Armoth would be a writer, along with the original writer(s). Either they or their publishing companies would likely hold the publishing. But since I doubt he registered the copyright or registered the work with a PRO before it blew up he's not going to get paid. And since the vast majority of the exposure if from youtube, he wouldn't have anyway.

In any case, it doesn't change my answer: the performers don't make money when a video is played on TV from the internet. If there's money to be made, it goes where I said it did.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(which there isn't when it's an internet video)
If they only show a clip, then there's no money to be made, but it has nothing to do with it being an internet video -- it's because using a clip in a news program is square cut fair use. For the full video, legally there needs to be a license involved (unless it is fair use -- but it wouldn't be for a typical news program). As an internet video, they only gave permission to the places they uploaded to to distribute it, plus whatever other permissions were in the ToS. Unless they allowed in those terms the sorts of massive redistribution by another source (in this case, a television broadcast), there needs to be a license for that.

quote:
the money would go to the writers and publishers.
Also, this is not the default legal state, just the typical contractual arrangement in the music business. Since I doubt there's such a set of contracts governing the production of the music video, anyone contributing creatively to the process (which is, presumably, everyone in the video, and probably a few other people) has at least some share of the copyright, and were any royalties accrued, would be due a share.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Your song inspired me to make Latkes the other night. I did not try to flip them in the air, though. I use a cast iron skillet and my wrist's not strong enough to flip stuff from it. The Latkes were particularly tasty with tamarind chutney.

[ December 07, 2010, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
quote:
the money would go to the writers and publishers.
Also, this is not the default legal state, just the typical contractual arrangement in the music business. Since I doubt there's such a set of contracts governing the production of the music video, anyone contributing creatively to the process (which is, presumably, everyone in the video, and probably a few other people) has at least some share of the copyright, and were any royalties accrued, would be due a share.
That's interesting. Can you source that, or point me in the direction where I can do some reading on my own. My knowledge of copyright with regards to video is pretty secondhand, and since I plan to do a music video or two in the future I'd definitely like to read up a bit.
Armoth
Member # 4752

I copyrighted the lyrics along with David Block, my co-author. We registered in ASCAP and will be getting royalties from radio-stations and the like who are playing our song.

Another article that I enjoyed (spoof article): http://momentmagazine.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/maccabeats-suffer-%E2%80%9Cwardrobe-malfunction%E2%80%9D/

rivka
Member # 4859

That's pretty funny. The linked female blogger was also quite amusing.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't YouTube have pay accounts where they put up ads for videos with high view rates, and then pay the person posting the video?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

They have what they call partner accounts, and the account owner gets paid a portion of the revenue from the ads on their videos. But they get no control over the ads.

And, last I heard, to have any hope of getting accepted into their partner account you need about 5000 subscribers and a lot of original content.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
I copyrighted the lyrics along with David Block, my co-author. We registered in ASCAP and will be getting royalties from radio-stations and the like who are playing our song.

Another article that I enjoyed (spoof article): http://momentmagazine.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/maccabeats-suffer-%E2%80%9Cwardrobe-malfunction%E2%80%9D/

Nice! I'm ASCAP, as well.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I watched Sing-Off last night. You were missed.

We tried out for this. They really liked us. They couldn't get over the Orthodox thing - and kept asking us what it was like, not touching girls.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda creepy.

And damn, I missed the show last night. Maybe it's On Demand.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it like, not touching girls?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

It's not fun. Probably why we get married so young.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFQeLkspTI

I wonder where that guy got his proposal idea from?

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sings*

Ne-gee-yah! I just started keeping negiah!
And suddenly that touch,
Has never meant so much
To me!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.