FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN) (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth, if you had not realized before now that the JO blogosphere is horribly toxic (and even the few exceptions like Hirhurim and c-c get enough comments from the other "name" bloggers that I find reading them easier to avoid), I guess you have now.

It's depressing. Very. [Frown]

But how cool of you guys to do an impromptu performance like that! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth, I have a friend who interns with the Daily Show. I have no idea what kind of pull she has, if any (intern and all that), but I can ask her to do what she can if that's something you're interested in. I know Hanukkah is just about over, and it won't be quite so topical soon, but let me know your thoughts.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

He posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=oUZJQAZFT5g

The link's not working for me.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

works fine from here.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

what's it called? I'll just search for it.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

"Maccabeats - chance meeting on the street"
adenam
Member # 11902

Thanks
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Armoth, I have a friend who interns with the Daily Show. I have no idea what kind of pull she has, if any (intern and all that), but I can ask her to do what she can if that's something you're interested in. I know Hanukkah is just about over, and it won't be quite so topical soon, but let me know your thoughts.

Um, totally! Anything you can do would be great!!!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

But how cool of you guys to do an impromptu performance like that! [Big Grin]

We're pretty giddy as a group now...

We were at dinner and some girl had a birthday and waiters came out to sing happy birthday and we kinda took over - 10 of us sang happy birthday in full harmony...It was really really fun.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have never ever wished I lived in NYC before.

Even the year I did. [Wink]

I really still don't. (The cold winters would probably kill me -- possibly literally.) But y'know, a quick transporter trip over for an evening. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

WPIX appearance
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are adorable and fun to watch! Good job!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hah! My oldest (in 11th grade at a local JO HS) just told me that the Chanukah skit put on at her school yesterday included a rendition of Candlelight. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

And now I know the video really IS everywhere!

Even the Chronicle! [Laugh]

Armoth
Member # 4752

Rivka, we're going to be in CA in March.
rivka
Member # 4859

Yay! Concert?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
CA is big. Where in CA?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

LA. Unless other communities want to bring us in...
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Papa Moose:
CA is big. Where in CA?

Heh. I thought about pointing that out, but odds were they're coming where the religious Jews are. [Wink] Highest concentrations are L.A. [Big Grin]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they'd have much of an audience around Santa Cruz, for example.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You never know. There's a Chabad there, after all.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Armoth! I think it is great how excited you guys still are, despite how tired you must me of that one song. [Wink]

You really made that guys day. [Smile] Maybe his entire
Hanukkah. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Someone translated the lyrics into Hebrew! [Big Grin]

I'm not sure which is funnier, that the various choices about when to translate conceptually and when word-by-word seem to consistently go with the longer option in almost every case, or that "ay-ho" and "ay ay ay" were the best she could get to translating those bits. [Wink]

Overall, a pretty good translation, though.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Someone translated the lyrics into Hebrew! [Big Grin]

I'm not sure which is funnier, that the various choices about when to translate conceptually and when word-by-word seem to consistently go with the longer option in almost every case, or that "ay-ho" and "ay ay ay" were the best she could get to translating those bits. [Wink]

Overall, a pretty good translation, though.

בשביל שמונה ימי הנס?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Ugh. We just prank called by a guy offering us to do the bar mitzvah of his son and open for Justin Bieber. Apparently Michelle Obama was gonna be in attendance...we were jumping up and down, checking out Bieber's rider...until we realized...way too good to be true.

In retrospect, he did confuse his kid's name Troy or Kyle, secret service, riders...pier 60...kinda dangerous...

here is his number, we googled it, see what you find: 216-785-9324

rivka
Member # 4859

Lisa, I did say overall. [Wink]

Looks like a popular jerk. [Razz] Sadly, I expect he won't be the last.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Ugh. We just prank called by a guy offering us to do the bar mitzvah of his son and open for Justin Bieber. Apparently Michelle Obama was gonna be in attendance...we were jumping up and down, checking out Bieber's rider...until we realized...way too good to be true.

In retrospect, he did confuse his kid's name Troy or Kyle, secret service, riders...pier 60...kinda dangerous...

here is his number, we googled it, see what you find: 216-785-9324

Hey, but Lakewood. Sure, it's a different Lakewood, but still.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
3 million and rising. Congratz. BTW, my 6 year old son has showed it to all his friends. He also read the lyrics with me so he could understand the song.

I know very little about Jewish Holidays, and so this prompted some wiki-study and discussion. Very cool!

Our family is a big fan.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ours, too. My daughter keeps singing, "I put my candles in my hair sometimes..."

Prompted wiki-study and fire safety discussions!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My 13 year old asked a lot of questions the other day about Hanukkah, so we discussed it and I showed her your video. Nice teaching tool, and fun to watch!

She then asked why you were not on the Sing Off, because it is her favorite show right now. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You know I was worried for a minute there after first watching that it wouldn't sound as well without the music in the background but after seeing the street performance and similar I am glad and relieved to say you sound just as well or better.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks Blayne. (and everybody else)

The song is actually acapella. There is no music in the background. All those sounds were made with our voices. (sometimes in the live performances you can hear Ari, the redhead who sings "and the great menora" do the synth.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I am now highly confused, I coulda swore there was music in the OP video!
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I am now highly confused, I coulda swore there was music in the OP video!

That's the cool thing. All those sounds you thought were instruments were actually being made by mouths.

Here is how it's done. If you watch through the end of the song, he shows you a little of what he's doing.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But there IS still some audio editing?
Armoth
Member # 4752

Yes
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:
(Post Removed by Janitor Blade)

That was a tasteless statement AOS, please knock it off.

It wasn't tastelss. It was true. Can anyone here seriously deny it?
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the last post in this thread was almost a year ago, can anyone here but you even remember what was said?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

I'm not the one who deleted it.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't think that's his point.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

I know what his point is. My point is that it's "Janitor Blade"'s fault that my post is not there to be read anymore.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's yours. (post edited by JB). JB doesn't just delete things for fun, you know. I'd take HIS word over yours, and I don't doubt it deserved deleting.

[ November 01, 2011, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Oh man...I wanna know what he said...
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ace of Spades: I honestly can't recall what your post said anymore, but I stand by my decision to remove it.

Kwea: Please don't insult other posters.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It wasn't tastelss. It was true. Can anyone here seriously deny it?
A better question: why on Earth should anybody who isn't you or JB care about what your post from nearly a year ago said, given that you decided to complain about it after all this time?

Shocking speculation: it involved Lisa, Judaism, Israel, or some blend of the three and was deemed offensive enough to warrant removal. I don't know where I come up with something crazy like that.

But that's just guessing-I don't actually know. Another good question: why should anyone believe you're doing anything but spitefully stirring up trouble by complaining about a post moderation nearly a year after the fact?

Sheesh.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
When one person is treated unjustly, especially by someone in authority, other people should care.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I wasn't asking about the abstract, I was asking about this particular case. 'Care about injustice!' is a suitably vague, grandiose statement that no one can argue against it-you don't even have to prove the elements within it (which, notably, you haven't).

Another thing: when one person, known for screwing with the community at large and individuals within it, does something that smacks of manipulation, people should suspect manipulation.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
'Care about injustice!' is a suitably vague, grandiose statement that ...

...doesn't appear anywhere in my post.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
When one person is treated unjustly, especially by someone in authority, other people should care.

Do you have any evidence AOS's post did not violate the TOS? Or that my removing it was too harsh a response?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
doesn't appear anywhere in my post.
Yes it is-you gave an example of injustice (according to you), and said everyone should care about it because it was an injustice.

Really, Dobbie.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.