FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: My group's newest music video!!! (3 million hits and rising + CBS, NBC and CNN)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFQeLkspTI

I wonder where that guy got his proposal idea from?

Look who he has as backup!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's interesting. Can you source that, or point me in the direction where I can do some reading on my own. My knowledge of copyright with regards to video is pretty secondhand, and since I plan to do a music video or two in the future I'd definitely like to read up a bit.
There's nothing particularly special about video copyright vs anything else. Copyright in a work is always, always, always owned by the people who created it, unless it is transferred under certain specific conditions: either work for hire (which has a very specific, narrow meaning), or a contract. Here's the relevant bit of US law: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html

Some important quotations:

quote:
(a) Initial Ownership. — Copyright in a work protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the work. The authors of a joint work are coowners of copyright in the work.
quote:
(c) Contributions to Collective Works. — Copyright in each separate contribution to a collective work is distinct from copyright in the collective work as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the contribution. In the absence of an express transfer of the copyright or of any rights under it, the owner of copyright in the collective work is presumed to have acquired only the privilege of reproducing and distributing the contribution as part of that particular collective work, any revision of that collective work, and any later collective work in the same series.

Now, there are some legally established clearinghouses (that interact with the mandatory licensing requirements unique to music) for rights typically associated with music and the like, that are intended to make it easier to secure rights and ensure payments, but any rights holder is legally able to obtain payments.

quote:
(2) For licenses granted under section 106(6), other than statutory licenses, such as for performances by interactive services or performances that exceed the sound recording performance complement —

(A) copyright owners of sound recordings affected by this section may designate common agents to act on their behalf to grant licenses and receive and remit royalty payments: Provided, That each copyright owner shall establish the royalty rates and material license terms and conditions unilaterally, that is, not in agreement, combination, or concert with other copyright owners of sound recordings

Note key words such as "may" and "unilaterally". This doesn't apply for their video, of course, but it does apply to the audio track treated separately. Now, many uses fall under the "statutory licenses" section above, but playing on a news broadcast wouldn't. In the case of a statutorily licensed playing, the payments are split up in a funny way, but the first split goes to the rights holders (who are, as related in the first quotation, whoever created the work or had the rights transferred to them):

quote:
(A) 50 percent of the receipts shall be paid to the copyright owner of the exclusive right under section 106(6) of this title to publicly perform a sound recording by means of a digital audio transmission.

That's only for sound recordings, note. Video copyright is just basic copyright, pretty much. Even sound recording copyright does not have much resemblance to what a lot of people in music and music recording think it is -- I've met a recording professor from IU who did not know that the performance right was nothing but a sub-right of copyright!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty awesome still. Nothing like having a musical proposal uploaded to youtube.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFQeLkspTI

I wonder where that guy got his proposal idea from?

I was supposed to be there. Canceled so I could "study" for finals. Thankfully one of the other guys was able to replace me.

How did u find that?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the look on her face.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Canceled so I could "study" for finals.

Those would be the finals you have this week, neh? How are those going?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
It was posted on dovbear.

http://dovbear.blogspot.com/2010/12/now-its-gone-too-far.html

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Canceled so I could "study" for finals.

Those would be the finals you have this week, neh? How are those going?
First one is tomorrow. The other two are on Monday and Tues of next week. I feel pretty prepared for the one tomorrow. I haven't started studying for the ones on Monday and Tues of next week. My friends have all been really kind in giving me their outlines.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
Armoth
Member # 4752

Off to CNN... (Tune in at 7:50)
rivka
Member # 4859

Interesting blog post.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I go to a small, private Christian university, and one of my professors showed us in our 600 level theology class your video describing it as his "new favorite Hannukah song." He said he's listened to it about three times a day since it went viral.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting blog post.

how delightfully unintentionally hipster.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Interesting blog post.

how delightfully unintentionally hipster.
Haha. So true.
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Interesting blog post.

Sigh...

I didn't think it was interesting. I think they are wrong. Our song isn't just about generic latke-flipping, we mention the important themes of channuka, and even a return to Torah learning.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Off to CNN... (Tune in at 7:50)

I watched. I actually thought John King and the other guy, whoever he was, were rude. They had you on, didn't really explain what the fuss was about, talked about football over you while you sang, and then at the very end sort of tacked on a question or two.

I thought the best interviews with you really played up the fact that 1. This phenomenon is great for Jews because of the excitement it causes, and the fun it brings to the holiday. 2. The song is actually educational, it tells a story of the holiday. 3. The personal story about you guys, the things you're studying, and the whirlwind out-of-nowhere aspect.

They barely introduced you, talked over you, and then asked you questions as an afterthought when they fool finished pretend break dancing.

On the other hand, you guys sounded great! It's amazing that you guys can manage to sound so great while singing in what looked like a pretty cold outdoor location.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been pretty impressed by the live versions of the song. But, then, I'm a freak for A Capella. (Still have all my old Rockapella cassettes. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Interesting blog post.

Sigh...

I didn't think it was interesting. I think they are wrong. Our song isn't just about generic latke-flipping, we mention the important themes of channuka, and even a return to Torah learning.

That's what I love about it. Other than the sound and the performance, I mean. The fact that it's a Hanukkah song that actually mentions the war with the Greeks. Honestly, I can't think of a single other Hanukkah song that does that. And you managed it without it sounding bellicose, which I certainly never could have done.

You should be justifiably proud of what you've done, Armoth. I can't think of a single Hanukkah in my lifetime where there's been such incredible pirsumei nisa. Maybe ever, really.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
Interesting blog post.

Sigh...

I didn't say I agreed with it.

I don't. In fact, I had an interesting conversation about it with the person who pointed it out to me. I rather think the blogger has it completely backwards. (Actually, having since read some of his other blog posts, I think he has many things backwards.)

I still found it interesting.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks. It WAS cold, and we can't understand why the various stations think it's so great to have us singing out in the cold...

Believe it or not, but out of all 4 live tv stations we did, (the 5th is WPIX tomorrow morning, but whatever), CNN was the least professional. They didn't really communicate well with one another, or with us, and they planned for that segment to be a lot shorter than it was. What you didn't see behind the camera was the camera man signaling the bald guy to go much longer on the segment, which is why I got interviewed, and why Uri was brought in and then out.

rivka
Member # 4859

CNN link
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
They barely introduced you, talked over you, and then asked you questions as an afterthought when they fool finished pretend break dancing.

Ugh. Totally agree with Lyr on this.

They were incredibly lame.

quote:
Thanks. It WAS cold, and we can't understand why the various stations think it's so great to have us singing out in the cold...

And early in the morning or well after dark, too! *shiver* Man, I'm cold just watching the CNN snippet.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks Lisa. Means a lot. Really.

Rivka - sorry. Getting defensive. Although reaction to the video and song have been OVERWHELMINGLY positive, there have been people who manage to hate on it.

It bothers me tremendously, because I feel like if they knew us, as individuals, they would know we are sincere in our Judaism. But, of course, when you're dealing with 2.3 million people, you're bound to bother someone...

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. [Smile]

Armoth
Member # 4752

I feel bad for the rest of the group. My coat is warmer than theirs...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:

Believe it or not, but out of all 4 live tv stations we did, (the 5th is WPIX tomorrow morning, but whatever), CNN was the least professional. They didn't really communicate well with one another, or with us, and they planned for that segment to be a lot shorter than it was. What you didn't see behind the camera was the camera man signaling the bald guy to go much longer on the segment, which is why I got interviewed, and why Uri was brought in and then out.

Maybe the poor planning explains the really weird vamping they were doing, and the poor explanations they gave.

Any word yet on Jay Leno?

Armoth
Member # 4752

Leno is booking us either for later this month (I doubt) or for next year (::shrug: [Smile]

I heard a rumor that the person who is in charge of booking @ Colbert doesn't likes us...

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Rivka - sorry. Getting defensive.

Understandable. Sorry, I was hit-and-run posting -- I should have waited until I had time to comment.

quote:
Although reaction to the video and song have been OVERWHELMINGLY positive, there have been people who manage to hate on it.

Yeah, I know. I thought this was interesting because it was at least nuanced. Most of the other negative reactions I have seen were anything but. [Razz]

I keep telling myself to STOP reading the YouTube comments -- I know better.

Instead, I should brag to another person at work that "I know one of those guys"! [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Leno is booking us either for later this month (I doubt) or for next year (::shrug: [Smile]

I heard a rumor that the person who is in charge of booking @ Colbert doesn't likes us...

This seems like the kind of thing that Colbert (I mean Stephen himself) would really love.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:

You don't happen to have a name for this rumored individual? I have a cousin who used to be a booker who still has some connections, I think.

[ December 08, 2010, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You know you'd think with Jews controlling the media and everything, an Orthodox Jewish singing group wouldn't have any trouble getting on any show they wanted. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Dancing babies! (My favorite was actually the one he labels #3.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You mean Baby Rowan? Little kid had some moves.
rivka
Member # 4859

No, that's his #1. I liked the kid in the highchair best.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh the head bobber. He was cute too. And he really wanted that spoon!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You've been spoofed!
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The last on-air I did was in Sacramento. Our call time was 6am, and we played at 7am. After having four hours of sleep and setting up in the cold, it was not the ideal time to play. I definitely sounded exactly as I would've expected, and I'm the only one singing when I play.

And yes, stop reading youtube comments. Nothing good can come from it. [Wink]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
And yes, stop reading youtube comments. Nothing good can come from it. [Wink]

I know, I know!
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.chrisfinke.com/addons/youtube-comment-snob/

This will dramatically improve your quality of life. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I already have that extension.

I keep clicking "show". [Embarrassed]

rivka
Member # 4859

Also, the 2.5 million mark has been passed. [Big Grin]

The Mike Tompkins version has about 3.2 -- I expect y'all will catch him by the time Chanukah is over (i.e., Thursday evening).

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't think of a single Hanukkah in my lifetime where there's been such incredible pirsumei nisa. Maybe ever, really.

QFT

quote:

Rivka - sorry. Getting defensive. Although reaction to the video and song have been OVERWHELMINGLY positive, there have been people who manage to hate on it.

YouTube people can be quite mean; thick skin is key.

People can say whatever about your work - ultimately, it doesn't matter as long as you are OK with it.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I already have that extension.

I keep clicking "show". [Embarrassed]

[ROFL]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you guys. I am really excited for you!

I DO have one question for you though....where are the Hatrack shoutouts?

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

One of us is interviewing for a radio station in Utah at 4:15. I feel like it would be the perfect place for a hatrack shoutout, unfortunately, Uri might be doing the interview.

Re: youtube comments. It isn't so much youtube as it is bloggers in the Jewish world. I mean that it that world, response has been positive, but there are certain people who are anti.

Yerachmiel Begun (The head of the Miami Boys Choir, a big established choir in Jewish music) used to love us. Now, he sent an email to all the major Jewish blogs as for them to take down our video because he watched Taio Cruz's dynamite and it sickened him, and he is upset that we are penetrating Jewish culture with evil disgusting values.

I find it absurd that he didn't think about the fact that our video is perfectly clean, but then again, he attached the Taio Cruz video to SHOW all the Jewish bloggers how pornagraphic the original video was...so...yay logic...

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth: What station are they interviewing on? Please please say it's X96.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's unfortunate that some Jews are being so irrationally negative but probably not surprising. Given that there is controversy among Jewish groups over how much secular culture is acceptable and that your group is more liberal (if that's the correct term) in this respect than many, it's sort of expected that some people are going to hate on you.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

it's ksl - http://www.ksl.com/?nid=16
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
It's unfortunate that some Jews are being so irrationally negative but probably not surprising. Given that there is controversy among Jewish groups over how much secular culture is acceptable and that your group is more liberal (if that's the correct term) in this respect than many, it's sort of expected that some people are going to hate on you.

Not to mention trees catch more wind than grass. Don't let the grassy folk get you down Armoth. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if someone already posted this, but you made the Smart B**s Trashy Books site last week:

"No shortage of adorable dudes in that video, too. Holy Smoke." [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You must read the comments. There are women wanting to adopt you guys, and some saying they wish they were 21, and others saying they want to take you home and feed you. And, because it's SBTB, they are also trying to figure out what "flip the latkes" can be a euphemism for! [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Best moment EVER:

Last night we were on the way to dinner after CNN and this dude from Atlanta RECOGNIZES us on the street and was like: OMG ARE YOU GUYS THE MACCABEATS?!?!?! YOU YOU'RE THE LATKA FLIPPER!!!! CAN I TAKE A PICTURE?!?!?!

We were MORE excited than he was that we got recognized.

He posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=oUZJQAZFT5g

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.