Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn. Cheyne posted WHILE I was posting. However, we should be able to for two more-even groups, and then just switch.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your model works fine even with Chenye dropping out. the next person that wants in can get her spot. I move to follow IB's unless another snaffu hits.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so there are three sets of groupings in your post, IAB. Are we going to throw in another crit deadline, like June 21st, for the Final Polish round/groups? Or are we staying with two, and therefore only using the final two groupings (of the three) that you've listed? Sorry for my confusion. Just want to get things straight. We'll have to set up a good way to do this from the get-go for next quarter, eh?
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... I'll leave all this up to you guys. Just someone post the final groupage, k? I'm cool with whatever.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Well YOU may be fine with whatever groups... but I don't want to be with Kayti, She's stupid!
I'm just joking. I don't even know Kayti. Whatever groups are made are fine with me.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I resemble that remark, PJ....you better watch your back.

(Have no fear, I'm the one who is always late for everything...that's how ye shall know me. She Who Is Always Late For Everything.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, SWIALFE, I got your story and sent you mine.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I've been struggling with my story for this quarter. Something about it just wasn't right, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Then, I had another idea for a different story (entire length, characters and all from beginning to end) come to me, and I had been considering leaving the first story for the new one.

So, yesterday I was wandering around on the internet, looking for the next great fantasy book (only found one new one, unfortunately) when I came across an interview that someone had done with Patrick Rothfuss, previous winner of WotF XVIII and writer of the amazing book The Name of the Wind. In it, he mentioned that when some people come up against a brick wall with a story, they drop it and pick up something else. He tactfully berated those types of people and said that you should hunker down and take the bull by the horns.

Last night, as I was sitting down to write (about 10:00, after the kids were finally in bed and asleep) I was still struggling with myself over whether to skip over this story and travel on to the next. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I just needed to follow Mr. Rothfuss's advice and hunker down. (Yes, I took notes for the new story! Not going to lose that one! )

After scanning over what I had previously writter, I chopped the last 3 1/2 pages (of the 9 1/2 that were complete) and started from there. By the time I had written half of my next page, the final piece to the puzzle of my main character fell into place and the story came rushing out. Nearly 1800 words in 90 minutes. (about 50% better than my running average!) I couldn't have been happier.

Thanks Pat!

Go WotF!

Write! Write! Write!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jared Page
Member # 7878

- posted      Profile for Jared Page   Email Jared Page         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit I'm pretty naive about this contests requirements.

What length should I be shooting for?

I have lots of short stories floating around that are around 2000 words. I'm a huge fan of stories which briefly explore a new idea, and that is what I tend to write.

Would my submission need to be longer than that?

I could either try to beef up one of my short stories, or I could try to make a short story version of the novel I'm working on.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

As long as it's less than 17k words (hard limit) I don't think they care. It just has to be a story. I've seen a few winning stories be quite short. So, it's really up to you. Just be sure to get your speculative element in there early. That's a killer for a lot of entries.
Rheniel
Member # 7888

- posted      Profile for Rheniel   Email Rheniel         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there room for one more?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to take crits, if anyone in my group is ready.

Edited to add:

Am I right in thinking, then, that the first round of crits for me are:

Group 2

IB
darklight
snapper
Cheyne

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Actually darklight,

The first round readings have been rearranged. IB has stacked the deck... err I mean, has fairly arranged the reviews so that everyone will get a crit done by a new and veteran contest participators alike. Here is how the first round readers schedule is set up.

Group 1

IB
Jared Page
annepin
Christopher

Group 2

Skadder
Patrick James
darklight
BentTree

Group 3

snapper
KayTi
WriterDan
Cheyne

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks, snapper, that's cleared things up for me.

So, Skadder, Patrick James, and BentTree, feel free to send over anything you have when you've done. If any of you are up for an early crit let me know. I should have the thing read through and tidied up in the next couple of days.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Rheniel, why don't you take Cheyne's spot?

Group 1
IB
Jared Page
annepin
Christopher

Group 2
Skadder
Patrick James
darklight
BentTree

Group 3
snapper
KayTi
WriterDan
Rheniel

Interesting perspective, WriterDan. I'm sort of waffling between rewriting my old piece completely and submitting this new one I'm working on. I feel I have a big lesson to learn in the power of rewriting, which makes me think I should hunker down and rework my old piece. On the other hand, I love starting new things.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Er, Cheyne does want out, right? I initially glossed over this sentence, which now confuses me on your intent:

quote:
Please don't use this to exclude me in later groups, i just thought i'd better pull out now rather than later.

If I'm understanding correctly you want the ability to join in at a later time? That's fine by me.

annepin
Member # 5952

Okay, sent my story out. I hope I sent it to the right group. If you didn't get it please let me know. Thanks in advance for your comments.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 19, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder
Patrick James
darklight

I am set to recieve, but nowhere near finished on my draft. There is no need to fear. I am charging along on it.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Yes she did want out, Anne.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Rofl at snapper. "stacked the deck..." That was killer. Okay, so we're going with this setup. Confusion lost. And that's a good thing.
darklight
Member # 5213

Ok, so I have draft one of this monstrosity finished and will be sending it out to Bent Tree shortly. If you don't receive, give me a nudge. Skadder and Patrick James, I'll send it over at the specified date, unless you say otherwise and accept early critiques.

As I've said before, I'm ready to take critiques now. In fact, I'll take a look at anyone's if you're done; if it doesn't mess things up. Got too much time on my hands now I'm finished.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

You should start a new story then darklight.

For anyone in my sub-group that is interested, I'll accept early crits. Up for it any time.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'm looking at closer to the 15th of May for my first draft. It took some time to gel, and it's more important that I tell this story than I make it into the quarter. This story needs to be told.
darklight
Member # 5213

You're right, WriterDan, there's a story my son has wanted me to write for a while. It's his idea but he wants me to write it. He asked me the other day when I would start. Well, here's the chance.
snapper
Member # 7299

I will have mine done by the 7th, probably sooner. Rhienel, Kayti and WD send yours whenever its ready. Send it even if you're stuck, maybe I can help.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
We should, within our sub-groups, vote on which story within each sub-group was best. The winning stories can then be circulated for final polishing by the other winning authors--so giving the best stories the best chance.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
snapper, I might take you up on that. I have about 2500 words written, and I only just got the idea (asked a non-writing friend who had a perfect idea) for what the premise of the rest should be. But now I have to WRITE the rest. I think the first 2500 words are actually in OK shape, OK enough to send out. I may do so (can you tell I haven't quite decided? LOL)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
We should, within our sub-groups, vote on which story within each sub-group was best. The winning stories can then be circulated for final polishing by the other winning authors--so giving the best stories the best chance.

Meh. Count me out for this. I'd rather leave it to the WotF judges to sort us.

I will, however, leave myself open to any crits outside my group. I'd like to give equal support to each participant of the group.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 24, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'm with Anne on this. This isn't a competition, it's a workshop to get our submissions good enough for a major competition. However, I do feel it's perfectly reasonable--if you feel you have the time--to let an author know you'd be willing to critique on the polished draft, too. Instead of making it a competition, you're just offering assistance to a couple of extra people. Obviously, you are going to read some stories that you don't like, but instead of sounding insulting, you just don't offer to critique another time.

Besides, I'd like to see this prove helpful to everyone, and get even the novices an Honorable Mention.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I don't agree with the electing the best story either. It isn't a bad idea to pull together to make the best story great, but I don't feel it is in the best interest of our group. Friendly competition is one thing, but establishing a hierarchy in this group could cause hurt feelers.

If you believe in your story enough, you will find the help you need to make it shine. I have seen no lack of those willing help in this group.

I unfortunately don't think I will have a submission for this quarter. I accidentally erased 7k of my draft. I feel good about this story and do not want to rush it. I can wait until next quarter and turn in something I believe in.

I will still be happy to crit my group and any one else in the cumulative group.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Sorry to hear that BentTree. So, am I the only person finished? I'm itching to do some critiques. If BT is out, the that leaves only two to critique in my group.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Man! That sucks, BentTree. Lesson to everyone: Backup! Backup! Backup! Dang. Well, we'll be here for you next quarter. This'll let you really tell the story this time. Now that you've been through all that once, you can get to the guts of it and make it even better than the first time. Now get back to it!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Ah, and I'm going to echo what annepin, IAB, and BentTree said about pre-judging our stories. This contest is really all about new authors. We shouldn't push the best of the group, but raise everyone. Sorry, skadder.
annepin
Member # 5952

Bent Tree! Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. I use either Scrivener (for Mac) or Google Docs; both of these save automatically as you type (I think Google Docs you might have to do an initial save).

Darklight, I'm finished with my first draft, though I have a few changes I want to make. Though you aren't in my group would you be interested in swapping?

darklight
Member # 5213

annepin, yes, the swap sounds great. Send when you've finished those changes and I'll send mine in return.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey,

I believe that BT said he would be willing to live up to his commitment to review others in his group. Knowing him, I'm sure he'll still get something written before the June 30'th.

Go ahead and send it my way, KayTi. I'll give it a look.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how that is Bent Tree(when you erase your work). I back up all my files now, on cd also, since I have had my computer crash recently. Had to have the hard drive 'reset', if it had to be 'replaced'... well I might just have given up writing. I have so much work saved on it.
I echoe WriterDan, Get back on that horse. Rewrite that story, no doubt you'll make it better the second time.
And good luck.

As to this voting idea, I dont much care whether we do or don't but I do believe IB stated it well:

quote:
This isn't a competition, it's a workshop to get our submissions good enough for a major competition.

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited April 25, 2008).]

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Annepin et al
Just to clear up any confusion:
Cheyne is not in for this quarter.

Too much work at work. I have two months off in the summer (can you guess what I do for a living) so I will jump back in for the next quarter. I guess that my first message was a little hard to parse.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

How many guesses do I get?

snapper
Member # 7299

As far as skadders idea,

I wouldn't mine, after we have sent our submissions out, we all give our opinion on which one has the best shot at winning. It would be harmless and would be interesting on how well the ones picked do.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I might pull off a recovery. I am dilligently redrafting. I have about 3k on a draft that will more than likely end up at 12-15k. We will see. I am shooting for the first May 7th deadline. Might be a few days late.

Darklight, I hope to have your piece looked over by tomorrow night. As of yet it is the only submission I have recieved.

Cross your fingers for me guys. Mine are busy typing, and I won't let up until I'm done.

annepin
Member # 5952

Way to go, BentTree! I knew you could do it.
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm glad to hear it BentTree, and no rush with the critique.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Everybody!

The seventh is nearly here. I got mine done, and you? Are you ready, WriterDan, kayTi, and Rheinel? Let me know.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm trying to get it done. About 70% right now. Am planning on it still. Have to work on my Heinlein entry too. Eeek. Today went by WAY too fast. Will send it out as soon as I can.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I don't think I will have mine ready on time--or maybe at all.
Feel free to send yours to me, I will live up to my agreement to critique them.

Edited to add the names of the people in my group.
Skadder
Bent Tree
Darklight

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited May 04, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am ticking along at a snails pace. Hopefully that means quality. From my group, haven't heard from Skadder. Pat J if you decide to pursue, I will keep my box open even down to the last minute it if it helps you get a sub in. If you are up to it that is. I had an accident, I am trying to recover from. I am much in the same boat as you. Keep at it!

Skadder feel free to send whenever. I got and returned DL so if Patrick is out that leaves you. I might be a few days late, unless prose flows from my fingers like the blue and white ribbons of magic.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Don't feel bad, Bent Tree, I have about two-thirds written--before fleshing out the parts that are just bare-bones for progression.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hunkered down and blasted off the last part of my entry Saturday night. So, the first draft is done! Sending out to my group today. Any sent to me probably won't get done for a little bit. This next week is really going to be busy for me. Will get them done as soon as I can though. Luck, everyone!
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I don't know if I'm going to have mine ready in time either. Those in my group who are done, send me yours (if you haven't yet). If I don't make it, I might just have the other group give me a general read-over instead of a line edit. I'm going to bust all day tomorrow--I have the day off-and see how far I get. Us, writers, working our tails off. You gotta love it.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.