Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that without question, if you email Joni and let her know what happened, you will not be DQ'd.

I believe this is here email address, at least according to the WotF Blog.

contests@authorservicesinc.com

Cheers,

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got notified. Seven times in a row, as a matter of fact. I think whoever hit the send button must have been drinking A LOT of coffee!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Tracy on your current placement in the WOTF. (I haven't been on this site in a while and just heard.)

Hoping you win (mostly so you will get published and then I will be able to read a story that is so good it can be placed at the top of the list well before reading is over, but also, so that I won't have to compete with you anymore in these amatuer contests. LOL.).

Good luck and congratulations again.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tracy, could I read your story?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
well I'm on holiday right now and am replying using my phone while sitting in front of the yosemite gift shop. When I get back home on the 8th I'll send you a copy. Sorry if text is choppy... This is tricky from a phone. Thanks for the support guys. Go hatrack. Let's dominate this comp and take it away from Wordos. Tired of them placing every quarter.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited July 28, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Oh thanks, and take your time. I'll send you back some crits if you want them.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Now I know that many of you are deeply troubled by the possibility of my untimely demise due to the fire that has been raging 12 miles west of Yosemite NP. Lose no more sleep, apart from some smoke that invades the valley for a few hours in the early evenings we're fine. My pants give no indication of imminently bursting into flames. Getting lots of writing done in the trailer and had a burst of creative brilliance over eggs benedict in the Yosemite hotel resturant this morning. Gina struggled to see the vision I related like someone trying to verbally recount a movie they had seen the night before. Her eyes involunterally glazed slightly as she offered encouraging hums whilst spreading perfectly whipped butter on a still warm scone. Hmmph she'll see... one day

Tracy from his phone.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

So after a long chat with Kathy last night she revealed that she still has only read half of Q3 because she hasn’t been able to get home since early July with everything that’s been on her plate for the last five weeks. Two workshops, Budry's death and of course the awards.

She warned me not to tell her anything about my story so she wouldn’t know which was mine but explained that what Joni meant was that my story has been held back at her house in the finalists pile. When she’s done reading Q3 she will then sort them into Semi-finalist and Finalist. If she ends up with more than 16 she will have to bump the extras to HM. 99% of the HMs apparently get read and go straight into an HM box and sent back to Joni. The very late listed HMs probably had actually been in the finalist pile at one point. That's straight from Kathy.

So when Joni called me and said I was first, she must have meant that my story was the first to go into the finalist pile. Makes sense because I sent it on APR 15th (very early).

So expect the Q3 results to be slow in coming, she just headed home today.

Tracy

Zero
Member # 3619

So i should send it in early for better odds at feeling great about my piece.
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks for the update, Tracy!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Tracy. I appreciate your frankness.

I'm reminded of something a mentor of mine said a while back about applying for jobs: Be the first, best candidate they have. I think that applies here, too. I think it's harder to get knocked down once you've been selected as a top contender. Similarly, it's harder to knock an already choses piece down. You have to be good enough to make the editor (or KDW in this case) reassess her previous choice.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know when more resutls from this quarter will be announced?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
KD Wentworth said she should be done in the next two weeks, so I suspect mid to late September the results will start rolling in.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, she sent out a few more boxes at the end of the week after the ceremonies. I suspect that the HMs and Finalists from that bunch will be getting calls any day now.

I'm hoping they haven't yet, because if they haven't I should be receiving my rejection notice any day now.

KDW did mention that she wasn't done yet then so it's possible I'm in the last bunch although not likely.

le sigh...

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I had a dream I received an email from Joni. It either said I had insulted the judges with my story, or that I had won. The problem was, in my dream, I couldn't tell which they meant in the email!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. That sounds like a dream I would normally have...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Oh yeah, I had that dream about you too. It was that you had insulted the judges. If I remember the dream right you called the story 'Why I think the judges are dummies.'

Or wait, did that really happen........(theme from twilight zone)

debhoag
Member # 5493

Hey, new list of honorable mentions is up at WOTF. Didn't recognize any names.
annepin
Member # 5952

Holy cow that's a lot of names! I recognize Alethea Kontis, but no one else.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Wow... that is quite a list.

I wonder when those people sent their manuscripts. I've not received my rejection back yet but I'm guessing with that list, a lot of rejection slips went out. Maybe in the next few days, or better yet, it hasn't been read yet and I still have a chance.

Congratulations all!

~Anthony

annepin
Member # 5952

Such little faith, Anthony! Or are you trying not to jinx yourself?
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

You know... I can't decide if I care to be honest.

The way I see it, every rejection letter is a testament to my own courage. When I got my first one, only a month ago or so, I read it with delight.

I'd love to do well in the contest; an HM would be fantastic, and anything higher seems unthinkable. In the end I'll accept what I get and just write something else.

I don't like to wait however which is why I sent out my Q4 story last week. I figure, the earlier I get it in, the earlier I hear back.

~Anthony

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I regonize Andy Spackman and Brenta Blevins--both were finalists back in Q407. Brenta has had a pro sale since then, and placed third in the Return to Luna contest.

Edited to add: And Laurie Gailunas was finalist last quarter. I should've regonized her name. She's on my Livejournal friendlist.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 02, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Was happy to see that Utah is representing as usual. Seven HM's in this bunch for us funny Utahans. Crazy bunches of us in this state.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I think Rick Novy is active at Liberty Hall. Mike, is he one of yours?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Rod Santos is an LH'er - and the name Rick Novy looks familiar too. Maybe that's why.

Congratulations everyone!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Novy is known in these parts as "Spaceman."
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen *sets hands on hips and glares sternly*

Did you just reveal a hatrackers secret identity? No wonder why Bruce Wayne dumped you.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I made the HM list. Not bad...

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Sorry, I've been remiss in congratulating all of you. So, congratulations!
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats guys.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys can now see one of the perils of posting under a User Name other than your own. If you get anywhere, how will the rest of us realize it's you?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

You're right, Robert. Okay, guys, I'm gonna come clean. My real name is . . . Deb Hoag. What's yours?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 06, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Dan
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Congrats to all the HM'S. I would just like to say that my real name is Stinkywhizzleteets... so you can see why I prefer to go by Tracy.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall is my real name.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Sure, that's what you say . . .
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Got my first straight reject from WOTF. I've often said I'd a creative meltdown--this proves the point...
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Got mine too ChrisOwens. It was my first entry though so I'm batting .000 so far.

~Anthony

debhoag
Member # 5493

Haven't gotten one yet - I live in the sticks, though, and it sometimes takes an extra day or two. I thought I got my reject yesterday when I opened up my email and saw something from Galaxy Press, but it turned out to just be a promo on the reading they had at Author Services. The suspense continues . . .
annepin
Member # 5952

I hope I remembered to put in a SASE! I can't remember anymore... It seems like just the sort of thing I'd forget.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Join the club, Anthony. I think I've had six entries so far (five returned to me, one in for Q03) and we pretty much have the exact same average. In fact, I've only gotten two "no-win" letters. The other three have been straight turnarounds. So, I think that your zero is even better than mine. You're like 1E-10, and I'm more in the realm of 1E-50. lol Have to love the contest though.
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Do they send an email in addition to sending your SASE back?
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

I just got the MS back in the SASE I sent.

WriterDan: What do you mean straight turn arounds?

Anthony

WriterDan
Member # 6456

You just get your manuscript sent back to you. No letter, or anything. This typically happens when the speculative element doesn't come in early enough, from what I understand. Took me a while to learn that lesson. If Kathy recognizes it as a speculative story, but not good enough to place, then you end up getting a "sorry you didn't win this quarter, but please try again" letter. At least, that's been my experience so far. And like I said, I'm sitting at a whopping six entries now so far. So, I don't know how comprehensive my experience is. Still trying to learn how this all works.

ck: I don't think I've ever gotten an email back from WotF about how my story did for a give quarter. But I know that Joni has been calling people for HM's and up. So, I'm waiting for either a call (yeah right...) or my MS back in the mail, with or without a letter.

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Ah, ok. I was checking my email periodically so I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for something in the mail. Next time I'll have to include an envelope big enough for my manuscript, too, since I just sent a letter sized SASE.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I live in the UK, and it costs enough just to send the story in the first place, I don't send an SAE with my entry. I can't afford return postage too. So I guess if I don't get placed, I won't hear anything back from them.

So, for all I know, my story is already out of the running.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

It seems tough to come up with brilliant short stories and perfect them four times a year. Do any of you ever end up sending shoddy stuff that you have mixed feelings about, just to make sure you're always in the running?

On that note, do you suppose the screener recognizes your name and makes accidentally prejudiced assumptions before she even reads your work?

Zero
Member # 3619

Also, when do they announce the finalists? Or have they already?
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

"Do any of you ever end up sending shoddy stuff that you have mixed feelings about, just to make sure you're always in the running?"

I'm probably going to this next time around, simply because I haven't written anything in about a month and a half. I'm poor at revising, anyway.

On the finalists, I think that'll come in about a month or so. You might google "writers of the future blog" and look in those archives to see when the finalists were posted there in relation to the last quarter's deadline.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.