Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Bookmark these links:

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xover&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture

Kathy Wentworth is still reading, she said she'll be done next week. After that, she'll select the finalists.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On that note, do you suppose the screener recognizes your name and makes accidentally prejudiced assumptions before she even reads your work?

Hey Zero,

The contest is blind. By that I mean, Joni takes the MS when it arrives and removes the title page. Then the MS is sent to Kathy Wentworth who then actually reads the MS. There is no way for her to know who sent what manuscripts. In fact, after each quarter is judged you can generally catch her fishing for who wrote what story so she can get an idea who wrote which finalists.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Do any of you ever end up sending shoddy stuff that you have mixed feelings about, just to make sure you're always in the running?"

No. I'm not sure what the logic of this strategy is. if it's shoddy I wouldn't send it out anywhere. What's the point? I'd rather focus my energies and hopes elsewhere.

Now I have sent out stuff that I wasn't sure about. Not that I thought was shoddy, but I hoped was good but wasn't really sure. These I cross my fingers on and send.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess I made my comments based on the fact that I send a SASE large enough for my manuscript to get sent back to me. If your story is a "non-winner" then I guess you'd get nothing back. Regular-sized envelopes would probably get the "thank you for entering, but..." letters. And if you're a non-SASE like our darklight, then you just have to keep-on keepin-on and hope that someone gets back to you if you win. That is one plus about living in the US. Cheap postage for this contest. Looking forward to seeing some names next week.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Kathy finished her first read-through last night. Moving in to sort out Finalists and Semi-finalists now. Closer! Looks like it's definitely going to be next week that we'll get some announcements.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Rick Novy is active at Liberty Hall. Mike, is he one of yours?

I only visit Liberty Hall occasionally anymore.

quote:
Rick Novy is known in these parts as "Spaceman."

Correct. Alas, I don't get here much anymore either.

quote:
Did you just reveal a hatrackers secret identity?

I outed myself after I sold a story to IGMS.

For the record, this was my 7th HM/QF finish. Always the bridesmaid.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well congrats, Spaceman. Being a bridesmaid means you get to wear a frilly dress at least once. Ain't all bad. LOL
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
When can we find the latest results?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Any minute now, me thinks. KDW reported she's finished sorting semi and finalists.

Let the nail biting commence!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

good luck, everyone
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Also: where does it get posted? The link its just a forum. Is it posted in there?

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited September 15, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

The top link is for the WotF blog. That's the one that you want to watch. The bottom link is for a site that Kathy posts on to let us know where in the process she is and such.

Now I'm all jittery. Dumb, dumb. Thought I was past the nervousness of wondering what will happen with my story. Just goes to show how slowly I learn.

Good luck this week, everyone.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited September 15, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited September 15, 2008).]

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only been twenty minutes but I haven't gotten it yet WD.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

No, I haven't got it yet, WD.
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Anne and Tracy are semi-finalists. Congrats, Anne, and it's unfortunate yours isn't a finalist, Tracy, but the critique will be helpful, no?

Wonder when they'll post the last honorable mentions. Not sure why my hopes were so high

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Crap--I'm floored! I'd be happy to share my story, and crit, when I get it. Just let me know.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Anne! I'm not surprised in the least that you made it that far, even if I haven't read that particular story.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. With this much success, Hatrack will show up Wordos yet!

Edited to add: Welcome to the club! Let me serve as a warning example--don't end up like me...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't heard a thing.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Hi-Five Anne - we're representin for Hatrack and Cali.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy, Cow! Our little crit group here is....awesome. I knew something cool was going to happen soon. I'm a semi-finalist and so are Tracy and Annie. I'm sure Annie and Tracy feel the same: thanks to everyone who did crits, I (we) couldn't have done it without you. Now, in the upcoming quarters, someone here, from our group, has got to win this thing. All of us gotta hang tough and keep plugging along. It's time to break out the James Baldwin quote:

"Beyond talent lie all the usual words discipline, love, luck -- but, most of all, endurance."

I can feel it in my bones. The upcoming writing year is going to be amazing.

*Edited for Typos Writing is Rewriting.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Chris, didn't know the last name. So 3 semi's - really not bad for an online group. Two weeks left to get into the 25th anniversary edition.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Congratulations you guys! Fantastic news! I'm excited for you.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Christopher! Congrats! I didn't recognize your name, either.

And yes, thanks to all you guys who helped crit my story. The support I've gotten here is so awesome.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Holy crap. We rock! Three of eight semi-finalists. This is what's called movin on up, peoples. I'm expecting no less than two finalists next quarter. You got me? TWO FINALISTS!!! Ha, ha! We're going to take over the world. Well...you know what I mean.

Congrats to Anne, Tracy, and Christopher!! Can't say it enough, but I won't repeat myself. Dang, I'm excited for you three. You know, I think that we're going to have to gloat. lol. Running count of honors lauded upon the members of this group, and awards from the previous quarter are to be posted in the first post of the group discussion for each new WotF quarter. Which means I need stats people! We'll show those wordos a thing or two. Need a current listing of awards that people won for this quarter (3rd, in 2008). To make things easy, we'll just start this this quarter, and start adding em up from here on out. We'll run the list like the sign-up one. So, here we are:

QUARTERLY AWARDS:
F: 0
SF: 3
annepin
tnwilz
Christopher
HM: 0

I know that there have been at least one or two HM awarded for the group this quarter, but I don't remember who they are. If that's you, add you name to our list of winners. And as you are each notified of how your entries have done, let's put em up here. When we've collected them all, I'll transfer the totals to the first posting for this upcoming quarter. Maybe that'll attract a few more people looking to win.

Again, congrats to everyone. Glad to see that this critique group is doing so well.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Last batch of Honorable Mentions are up on the WotF blog. I recognized a few names.

Mine's up there.

A first glimmer of recognition. Now to figure out how to move from HM to semi-finalist... Back to the drawing board.

annepin
Member # 5952

Whoo hoo! Dan, Scott, Sara, Deb... those are the names i recognize. Congratulations, you guys!
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Grats to the last of the HMs.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

It's not up there now! Deb as in Deb Hoag?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I saw your name myself, Deb. Congrats to you!
(and to everyone else too!)

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

coolness! Thanks, BC, I was ready to chew someone's leg off. Probably Chuck's. And he has old legs.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Congratulations guys! wtg!

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job guys. WriterDan, good job. I was beginning to think the contest was rigged against you.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

QUARTERLY AWARDS:
F: 0

SF: 3
annepin
tnwilz
Christopher

HM: 5
Dan
Scott
Sara
Deb
Steve (the Crankster)

Man, our crit group rocks. And, like I said before, those who made SF and HM couldn't have done it without the help of everyone who did crits. Everyone in our crit group should feel proud.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited September 23, 2008).]

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Don't mind me wanting to have my name added to the list, but I'm fairly proud of my HM placing! My first HM in three tries, in fact. Not bad...

Thanx to my fellow Hatrackers bigdawgpoet, Igwiz, WouldBe, halogen, skadder, and annepin for their First 13 crits way back when.

S!
Steve from Virginia!...aka Crank!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Which makes me wonder how many of those stories were critted by Wouldbe. He's an extraordinarily helpful fellow, and he's read for a lot of folks around here. Did I mention what a great reader he is to have on your team? Thanks for all your help, Wouldbe. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is taking over! Way to go all! I am both proud and sorry that my participation fell off towards the end, but it was unavoidable I am afraid.

Let's get three Hatrackers into the Twenty-fifth Anthology. Q4 watch out!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

Crank, good job. ADDED above.
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I wasn't a member then, but my name is on the list,too. This was the first story I have ever written, so it was really nice to wake up and see my name up there.

I have spent the last twenty minutes jumping around

Grats to all of you. You guys rock!

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Can't say the thought hadn't passed through my mind, Christopher. Think I need to work more on my beginnings, which is very much what I'm currently doing for my Q04 entry.

And congrats to everyone! I've updated our award count on the Q01 2009 post. Looking forward to watching it rise over the upcoming quarters. We rock! Ha, ha, ha, ha! (But of course, I say that in the most humble of tones...)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.