Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
True dat above. I've messed up hundreds of stories just by trying to write them down.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Above" seems to have moved back a page...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, so you've probably guessed I'm not very good at just sitting on my stories. I've revised (about ten tmes!) and have a story I'm happy with for the next round of critiques. So, if any one is ready to accept a story, that would great.

It goes without saying, I'm always ready to accept stories from other members of the group, so if you have anything, rough or polished, you want to fire my way, please do.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
You could resend to me. Also let me know what kind of crit you want--anything goes? Grammar and small things only?

Also, IB, did you get my crit back?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

annepin, thank you very much, I will do that. It'll be on the way some time tonight.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am open to crit for anyone.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
A quick start is always good, especially if you can work in mention of your science fictional or fantasy element. What I didn't realize, before I started reading entries for the Contest, is that we (and the major magazines) get many "untargeted" submissions. Those are stories that are not sf or fantasy and do not fit our guidelines. People see a free contest and just send something in without bothering to see if what they've written is right for us. You want to convince the editor that this is not one of those stories. Later, after you've made a name for yourself, you can take longer to set things up but in the beginning you have to grab the editor's interest quickly.

KD Wentworth from WOTF forum.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
As for originality, that is the key element we're looking for. You can't stray so far that the reader won't know what you're talking about but the people with the best imaginations are the ones who break in and have careers.

Don't count on the title to sell your story. Titles can be misleading and I hardly pay any attention to them until after I've finished reading the piece.

Make the prose as smooth as you can, but don't get caught up in endlessly rewriting. It is entirely possible to rewrite the life out of the piece. The story is the most important element. Readers read for story, not elegantly constructed words.

KD Wentworth from WOTF forum.

darklight
Member # 5213

Hi Tracy, I might just send my story over to you when I get back from work! Be warned though, there's a lot of words!
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I love words, send away.
darklight
Member # 5213

Well, I can't believe it's June already, and there's only a few weeks to go until the deadline! Where does the time go?

How are you all doing?

I would say mine's going well, but I'm waiting for a couple of crits, so don't want to assume to much until they're back.

Annepin and Tracy, did you both get my story? If not, let me know.

Good luck to all getting those stories polished.

darklight
Member # 5213

And are we going to split into groups again for the round of critiques coming up at the end of the week?
annepin
Member # 5952

I did! I should be able to get my crit back to you by the end of today (PST).
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we're going to split groups up on Friday the 6th, and then people can send out their stories this weekend. So, anyone that's not on the new list that wants to be, put it on there. Here's a reminder for where we are currently sitting:

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi
Snapper
JustInProse

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero
tnwilz
Patrick James(also hoping to finish his draft sometime this century) <-- Getting close on this one Patrick?

Hope this is the most recent one. It looked like it was, but if I goofed it, I apologize ahead of time. Looking forward to the next swap.

Also, I was thinking that the crits this time around can really be anything. If they need a high-level crit (plot, character) give it to em. Don't limit constructive criticism. That should be what we're all about here. Later all.

Dan

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jared Page
Member # 7878

- posted      Profile for Jared Page   Email Jared Page         Edit/Delete Post 
As of today, I've given everyone a critique who sent me a story. If you didn't recieve one tell me. Sorry for being late. Between moving and working double shifts at work I've had no time. I'm not going to have my second draft ready on time. But, I am willing to critique.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey. So, snapper had a genius idea and I thought I'd run it by everyone in the group, see what you think.

Apparently he turned his entry in for this quarter early (as in, it's already in despite the fact that the deadline is almost four weeks away). His reasoning is that Kathy probably gets rushed and fatigued with the chaos of all the stories at the very end of each quarter. As such, she would have much less time/patience for those stories that come in at the bitter end.

Thus, I'd suggest shifting our deadlines/mail-in date accordingly. The only way to do this is to either have those in the group go through one very short quarter (two months, instead of three) or skip a month. At least that I can easily see. I'd rather not skip any moths, so what I'd suggest for the next two quarters is this:

-----------------
2008 Q04 details:
-----------------
Now: Begin writing story entries for Q04
July 1st: 2008 Q04 start
July 14th/(21st?): First crit deadline for Q04
August 7th/(14th?): Second crit deadline for Q04
August 30th: Mail in all entries from group for Q04
September 30th: Official mail-in deadline for Q04

-----------------
2009 Q01 details:
-----------------
September 1st: Begin writing story entries for 2009 Q01
October 1st: 2009 Q01 start
October 7th: First crit deadline for Q01
November 7th: Second crit deadline for Q01
November 30th: Mail in all entries for Q01
December 31st: Official mail-in deadline for Q01

Hope this schedule makes sense. In essence, I'm shifting everything up a month. I seriously think that snapper has something here. At this point the new schedule is just a suggestion. I know that this will put pressure on us all next quarter, but I really think that it will give our entries a better chance of getting further in the contest if we make the time shift.

It would also set things up so that we don't have the "final polish and mail-in" deadline right between Christmas and New Year's any more. Just a writing deadline for the following Jan 7th. For me, that point alone makes it worth all the rush for one quarter.

What say ye?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm happy to carry on as we were before. I sent my last entry in, in the last few days before the end of the quarter, and I got an Honerable Mention, so I don't agree with snapper, sorry! In fact, I thought the opposite. I'm sure Kathy is professional enough not to let any lack of time or patience cloud her judgement. I'll probably still send in at the end, even if we had earlier crits, and there's the time factor too for writing and critiquing.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts.

annepin
Member # 5952

Moving the deadline up a month doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I'll go with whatever the group consensus is. Just let me know!
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea has merit and makes sense, incidentally work has me a bit too busy to comply with the schedule.
missing a month or a quarter might be enivitable for me.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I double posted.

Anyway, my story is finished, its terible but... I'm in!

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi
Snapper
JustInProse
Patrick James

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero
tnwilz

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited June 03, 2008).]

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ok with skipping a month, more set on getting it done than getting it in this quarter.

My piece isn't coming along easily either, so who knows, might help to have a bit extra time...(mostly because I missed the first edit and I'm still new at this)

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you darklight and I can understand why you would disagree, but I believe my theory has merit.
Joni said at the beginning of this quarter how they got swamped at the last minute by entries. The HM honors were about half compared to the quarter before. Unfortunately I didn't have time to send my entry off before my boss called and said I needed to leave right away. I hope I am back in time to send it off.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited June 03, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the logic in the proposed idea. Another element to consider is that if we are regular submiting to the contest, as most of us are, as a group it will reflect on professionalism. Having a crisp, clean, and well-edited manuscript early in the submission period can only reflect positively on the entrant. I'm in even if it ends up being a new WOTF faction
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Looks like I'm the only one that doesn't quite agree with this idea. Not sure I'm gonna have time to finish this quarter's entry and get another ready for critique by July 14th, but I'll try.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited June 04, 2008).]

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of the new schedule, but mainly because I'm itching to get something written for this contest. I'll get started on my WOTF story just in case.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice concept, but we'll see. I'm a down to the wire kind of gal.

I don't agree that it likely has influence, though I really don't see any harm in submitting early to a contest like this. I read slush for Flash Fiction Online, and sometimes I read one story, sometimes ten or more in a sitting. There is really no difference in when I find a story to pass along, it's just as often the last in a batch of 10 or the first, or the solo, or none at all, LOL. A good story is a good story and stands out no matter what, IMHO. But, like I said, there's no harm to submitting early if you're able.

Darklight - we'll be late sub buddies if it happens. Truthfully with the #s of us submitting from here, it would not be a bad thing to have more than one group, and for those groups to have different timing.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Maybe that would be a good way to split the group once on a large scale, KayTi. Have two separate schedules: one that turns in manuscripts to the contest a month early, and a second that goes right to the end. We can pull a practice run this next quarter. Have two "group discussions" for Q04 inside of Hatrack: "WotF 2008 Q04 Early Submission" & "WotF 2008 Q04 On-Time Submission", or something to that effect. I'll make the new post for the early submission group of next quarter now and get things started. See how this all turns out. Can't hurt to try.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

It seems as if we're right on the cusp of splitting into three groups. Ten people with stories, two more willing to critique only. So, I think our best option would be to do two groups of six each (five stories per group with five crits for each story) and have crits due back in no more than ten days. That's four critiques for double-dutys (five for only-critting), and still leaves almost two weeks afterwards for final edits. If anyone thinks that this is a bad idea and that we should go to three groups, now is the time to speak up. I'm more prone to just move on things because I get so frustrated with decision-by-committee delays.

Here's my suggestion for splitting the group:

Group 1
IB
Christopher
Darklight
Snapper
WriterDan
Zero(crit only)

Group 2
Annepin
Patrick James
Bent Tree
KayTi
JustInProse
Tnwilz(crit only)

I just went down our list for first round crit groups and alternated people as their name came up. JustInProse was added to the end as he wasn't part of the first round.

Just as a thought, I think that next quarter it would be a good idea for us to not only have a participation list like this, but to also have a reasonably accurate accounting of how long each story is (eg: 6k words). That way we can try to split up the groups to spread the workload as well.

I also understand that four/five critiques might be a bit much for some people to handle. To spread the crits out as best they can, I'd suggest that you critique in the order that you're listed, working your way down. So, for me (WriterDan, Group 1) I'd do critiques in this order:
IB
Christopher
Darklight
Snapper
That way, if I don't get to Snapper (which I will Snapper, I promise ), there's less of a chance that someone else will miss him too. Then again, I could just be over-analyzing this bit (I tend to do that quite often) and you'll all tell me to go jump in a lake. Ah well.

Happy send-offs everyone. Another quarter is coming quickly to a close.

Edited: Group lists were screwey the first time. Now fixed.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited June 06, 2008).]

Patrick James
Member # 7847

The groups suit me. I'm in, and ready to accept stories for critting.
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
The plan sounds good to me, Dan.

I'll send my story out to my group sometime tonight.

You guys send me your stories whenever...

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited June 07, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I've received, critiqued and returned Christopher's story, and sent him mine. Will send out mine to other members of my group later. Waiting for more stories to arrive.

Edited to add: I will critique on a first come, first served basis. Whoever sends me a story next, will get a critique next. It's a lovely rainy Saturday morning here, so got lots of time now and until Wednesday, so get sending those stories!

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited June 07, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sent mine out to the group. Hope all the email addresses that Hatrack has are current. At home, and I don't have Outlook set up here. Hope to hear from the rest of you soon. Later.
annepin
Member # 5952

No one's sending stuff in my group? Got only one, from Patrick James. I'm thinking I won't send my out for a crit again--quite frankly, I'm sick of it and just want to hurry it out the door and let it do as it will. But I'm ready and willing to read other people's!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey Annepin,

I got a few swaps in my group. Haven't heard anything from Zero though, and IB's been off the map for a while now. Have you heard from him? If you're looking for something to read, I'll send you mine. Always love the input I get from you. Need to do some good editing on it soon though. Deadline is coming quickly. I'd be interested in reading your entry even if you don't want a crit. Later.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am set to recieve, but I am at a point where I don't want to look at mine again.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Okay, WriterDan, got your story and will aim for a quick turnaround!
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
All my crits are finished and sent out. I haven't heard from a few of you...hope you got 'em. Good stories, guys. Thanks for letting me read them. Any needed qualifications/questions, get back to me.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Christopher, yes, I recieved your critique, thank you very much Also have critiqued and got critiuqes from WriterDan and Snapper. Thanks to all you guys, you're great. IB, still here if you want a critique when you're ready.

Been avoiding my piece this week, but I know I'll have to get to it soon to make those final changes, else I'll be sending it in next quarter!

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Five days left! Hope everyone is either close or finished! Looking forward to seeing lots of awards announcements here over the coming weeks.
darklight
Member # 5213

Mine finally went in the post this afternoon. Thank God it's gone!

Onto the next one...

annepin
Member # 5952

I'm so close! But I now have technical problems--my printer died! I'm trying to figure out other options. Another reason not to wait to the last minute, I guess.
annepin
Member # 5952

And mine's off! Yay, my first submission!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Congrats you two.

Just got through my third draft late last night (this morning?). I think I probably have another line edit or two in me before it goes out. Man, it's crunch time. And for some reason, I'm just not feeling the pressure that I have in quarters past. Finally getting used to this submission thing, I guess.

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
when do they start announcing?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when do they start announcing?

As I understand it, Kathy Wentworth has already got a stack to send back but I haven't heard that anyone has received their ms back.

I suspect if she hasn't sent the first batch back yet then she will be soon.

Then again this is my first submission so I'm not really an expert on the flow just yet.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
that would be the "thanks, but don't quit your day job" pile?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that would be the "thanks, but don't quit your day job" pile?

Hehe... well... I don't want to speak for anyone but I believe we are all capable of writing garbage. Fortunately, we here at Hatrack are lucky enough to have a support group to tell us when it's garbage.

It certainly doesn't bode well for the particular story if it is in that pile.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

Another waitin' till the last moment tale:

Today, Sunday, the power went out in my neighborhood. Too many people running their air-conditioners or something. A transformer blew and caused circuits to blow all over the place. And I hadn't printed my story yet! This is bad because I work a twelve hour shift tomorrow, starting at seven a.m, and I can't print it there. So, I went to my father-in-law's b-day party, as planned, and crossed my fingers. Got back home, power was on. Thank you. Just printed it off and wife will mail it in the morning. You know what? I think I like waiting until the last moment. It gets my blood flowing.

Good luck to everyone. I'm looking forward to reading your new stories next quarter.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited June 30, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

And it's off! I was still a freak about it. Got all jittery as I was checking off the list of things I had to do to make it "right". Maybe I'm not as used to submitting as I thought. Anyhow, I hope that everyone else that gets their submissions mailed off today (on-time) will post here and let us know. It seems like a lot of people dropped out at the last minute. Hope that's not the case, but that they only stayed in their closets to the bitter end to get their stories done. Congratulations everyone! Time to start the next story! Later.
darklight
Member # 5213

Reading the last few posts in this thread, I'm glad I got mine printed off when I did. My printer started acting oddly on Saturday, and hence, could not have gotten anything printed! In fact, both my entries into this competition have now gone off on the 26th - odd coincidence.

WriterDan, I'm right there with you with the list of things to make it right. I have an odd feeling though, I might have edited the life out of mine!

Good luck to all that have managed to get a story in the post on time

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.