Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Jared, and Annie. Got your stories. Thanks. I didn't finish mine. I'll bust on it again tomorrow. If you don't mind, I'll send it to you Friday or Saturday. If that is too late for you, not problem, let me know.

Oh, something funny. Both you two sent me the e-mails without the stories attached, and both of you then sent a second e-mail that said, "oh, sorry, I guess I should attach the story." I did the same thing last quarter to someone. I don't know what that means: we're all quirky/funny writers. Anyway...

I'm looking forward to reading your stuff.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Both you two sent me the e-mails without the stories attached

I am embarrassed to say, that is my calling card. I am notorious for failing to attach. One day I will do it with a submission, and bang my head on the wall for days

To my group. I am making headway. I have four scenes of seven, so I will probably have a draft by Saturday. Skadder I haven't heard from you. Send yours when you are ready. Otherwise there are only two of us in our group which leave me and DL with a one on one draft exchange.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still in a holding pattern on mine until I get the Heinlein and Luna stories through another draft.

I am still in, though. I won't bail on this contest this quarter.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, no problem. Send me yours whenever it's done.

Darklight, I returned yours--did you get it? I know our email has been wacky in the past. I got my story back from you--thanks for the crit!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jared Page
Member # 7878

- posted      Profile for Jared Page   Email Jared Page         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty funny

No problem Chris.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody wish me a happy birthday. I need the love.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Happy birthday!!!

mine is in two days.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Happy Birthday to you!

Annepin, I got your critique, thanks very much!

I will send out my story to Skadder and Patrick James (congrats by the way!) tonight. Waiting for Skadder's story. Patrick, if you get one done, sent it over.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday to WriterDan and Bent Tree!(in the event that I don't remember in two days time.)
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Aw... happy birthday, you two!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Happy Birthday to BentTree! Celebrate! Ha ha!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B-Day guys.

Hey, I just got the story done. I sent it out to my group: IB, Anne, and Jared.

P.S. Oh, as I mentioned in the e-mail, I still need a title for the story--anything is better than what I have. Any and all suggestions for a title. Hit me with 'em. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited May 09, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Just finished my draft*Sigh*

Darklight, it is in the mail. If there are any volunteers to look over Mine and Darklight's pieces, I would appreciate the extra eyes. There are only the two of us so far as I can tell in our group.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Bent Tree. I hope everything's okay. Congratulations on getting a new version of the first draft in.

Once I've finished min--looking like it'll be soon, and I critique the others in my group, I'll gives yours a read-through. Send it any time, but give me a few days to respond.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 13, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

BentTree, I'd be happy to look at it! Send it over whenever you like.
annepin
Member # 5952

BentTree, I'd be happy to look at it! Send it over whenever you like.

Edited to add: see my sincerity? I double posted!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited May 13, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'm almost done with my extremely rough draft. By tonight, it should be finished. Then I'm going to focus on those that sent me theirs.
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm going to second what Bent Tree said. Another critique of mine would be wonderful if there's a volunteer, and as I'm about half way through Bent Tree's story and should have it done in a couple of days, I'm happy to crit another story or two if anyone would like another opinion.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Rheniel? Has anyone heard from Rheniel? I've traded stories with snapper, and know that KayTi has one on the way, but haven't seen hide nor hair from Rheniel. Still in?
darklight
Member # 5213

I was thinking, just an idea, but maybe we should have a head count and see who's still in this quarter, so we can work out the grouping for the next round of critiques.

And I've finished the critique of Bent Tree's story (should have it back in the post tomorrow) so any stories?

Christopher
Member # 6336

I think darklight is right. A head count sounds like a good idea. If you're not in with a story of your own, but are still willing to read that's fine too.

Sounding off....I'm in for all rounds.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

headcount? huh... *Raises head from slobbery puddle on desk*

... here.

annepin
Member # 5952

How about something like this? Add your name to the list if you're still willing to crit and/ or want something critted:

Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to critique, but I have nothing to offer needing criticism.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Good idea all. Two lists then, I think; along with the understanding that if you want your story critted, you *must* crit other's stories.

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero

Question: How long do we wait with these new lists up before reorganizing critique groups?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, Jared Page sent me his, but hasn't yet responded to this thread. I think he actually sent it to me like two or three days ago. So, I'd say he counts as in--at least as far as I'm concerned.
KayTi
Member # 5137

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi *but doesn't have hers ready for crits yet. Promises to have a clean draft with few typos, almost no unnecesary adverbs, and limited other early draft pitfalls since she's so late w/draft.

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I already entered a story for this quarter a month ago, a piece that I had received help with some time back. So I guess I’m in. I can help crit if you like.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone! and ARRRGGGHHH! (I'm taking full advantage of my status)

I have had a habit of overextending myself but I am making a plan. I need to get two stories ready for two seperate contest that have a deadline for the end of this month but the next I am reserving for WotF. I plan on helping anyone that wants it for the next quarter, SOOOO...
I will read and review anyones story that wants it after May 31st.

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi
Snapper

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

My first draft is done. I'm giving it a quick run-through for inconsistancies anmd glaring spelling issues. Then I'll send it out to my group (annepin, Christoper, Jared Page) and anyone else who's willing.
darklight
Member # 5213

I'll read IB but with a busy weekend ahead, I probably wont get to it until monday.
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for the next quarter? Or is this for the one that is currently being voted on? I'm confused as to which group this is. And I'm also wondering how much time is left? I would love to join in, if there was enough time to get sleep while also finishing the story.

Can anyone help? lol

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I say you should just jump in, add your self to the list, and start cranking out a draft.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

This group is for Q3. The results now coming out are for Q2. Jump in, if you want.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero
tnwilz

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok, then ya, I'll jump in! With all the news about placing in the WOTF I was confused about this forum lol. Thank you for the clarification and the encouragement (both are equally needed).

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi
Snapper
JustInProse

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero
tnwilz

---------------------
Further Information

Are we getting groups together or are we all just sending our drafts to everyone? I don't have a draft ready, but my days aren't very busy with school being over. I'm going to get working on a first draft. (By KayTi's post I'm guessing the first drafts are already done for most?)

Also, What are the dates we are looking at for the group? Is this more formal, or informal?

Thanks for the help. If I become annoying, type in /squelch JustInProse and I will speak in Haiku word posts.
(Could be fun either way!)

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo Justin! Good to read a friendly nametag.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

May 7th: First drafts out for high-level crits (plot, character arc, etc.)

June 7th: Second drafts out for low-level crits and line edits

June 30th: Mail-in deadline for Q03

I have already flubbed the first deadline(because of work and another project *wink*), but nobody has tossed me off the boat, so I am assumeing that the dealines are informal to a certain extent.

---------------------
Double Duty
---------------------
Inarticulate Babbler
WriterDan
darklight
Christopher
Bent Tree
Annepin
KayTi
Snapper
JustInProse

---------------------
Willing to crit
---------------------
Zero
tnwilz
Patrick James(also hoping to finish his draft sometime this century)

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pilot27407
Member # 7992

- posted      Profile for pilot27407   Email pilot27407         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I participate, or am I too late?

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Write a first draft of a story fitting the WotF guidelines, and let everyone know you're in. Though you are not in time for the first due-date, some of us might be able to do an extensive critique to help you get ready for the second (or polish) critique.

Welcome and Good Luck.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Formality: Really, we try to stay as formal as possible in this group and get our stories out for the critiquing deadlines as set up each quarter. However, if you get hammered and can't make a deadline, you'll find that most people here are pretty forgiving on that front and will help out regardless. The WotF contest is all about helping new authors break into the market, and that is really what we try to keep in mind in this group. That being said: GET WRITING AND PUMP OUT THE DRAFTS!!!

Deadlines: So, our next upcoming deadline for critiquing is June 7th. I'm thinking that we'll just keep the new list (of "double duty" and "available to critique") open until like the 6th. Then we can split the people up into groups that day and have a crazy-email day for swapping on the 7th. Sound okay to everyone? Mostly looking for dissenters and reasoning here.

Luck all.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I agree with Dan. We can have a show of hands on the sixth and distribute prompt well edited drafts on the seventh, accordingly.
KayTi
Member # 5137

I'm LMAO at the formality point WriterDan makes. Speak for yourself, buster. I've never met an interim deadline I couldn't blow.

But don't let my miserable excuse for writing time (and current quandry about subject matter for story...considering a complete jettison of my 3k WIP and starting from scratch on a whole new concept. Sigh.) be your guide. I like your plan just fine. (In spite of my likely inability to keep to it.)

To paraphrase a family expression - I'll get what I get and I won't throw a fit if I'm late to the party.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

My kids say that all the time. "You get what you get..."

Like I said, we're pretty forgiving. And love to have you around KayTi.

Jared Page
Member # 7878

- posted      Profile for Jared Page   Email Jared Page         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry for being late with my critiques. I just moved into a new apartment(from college housing into the real world).

They've also been short staffed where I work so I've been working double shifts. Thankfully, things should be less stressful now. I will be getting back to everyone who sent me a story this week.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
When you're just starting out, you have to learn to connect with your subconcious which is where the stories come from. Writing every day helps improve that access.

KD wentworth from WOTF forum.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
Success as a writer involves both talent and drive. You can't make it without both. The writers with the best imaginations are the ones with the best chance for a career, but the drive to hone your skills and keep submitting your work in the face of rejection is crucial. I have belonged to a writer's group for almost twenty years now and in that time I have seen far more writers without enough drive than without enough talent.

KD Wentworth from the WOTF forum

annepin
Member # 5952

IB, did you get my crit? I sent it off at the beginning of the week. I think I got everyone that's sent me something... if anyone has sent me something and haven't heard back, give me a poke.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
Most of the time you won't be able to tell how good any of your stories are until someone else reads them. I find sharing new pieces with someone who reads for me most helpful, rather than sharing with a writing group, although I still belong to one. Getting a reader's feedback helps you see how entertaining the story is (or is not), whether it makes sense all the way through, whether the ideas in your head made it all the way to the page.

KD Wentworth from WOTF forum

tnwilz
Member # 4080

quote:
As other folks are saying, it will never be perfect. Algis Budrys, the original Coordinating Judge, taught that the story is not the same thing as the words. The story is inside your head and it is perfect. The words are the imprecise vehicle we use to try to communicate it to the reader. You want to do your best with the words, but don't confuse the story with the words. And remember, readers generally read for the element of story, not beautiful prose (yes, I know there are exceptions!), so endlessly polishing your prose won't necessarily garner you more sales. The most beautifully written story with no heart will not sell.

KD Wentworth from WOTF forum.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.