Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q03 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q03
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
My name isn't "down to the wire girl" for nothing. The story is printed (a second time, curse those 1.25" margins my word processor defaults to!) and in an envelope, waiting for my next errand outing so I can hit the post office. Nothing like getting it stamped just before 5 PM. It's a big ol pile of ... you know, but hey - it's going, it's fine, I'm happy.

Meanwhile, best wishes to everyone who ended up entering. I apologize for not being able to critique. I will be in better shape for the next quarter (though still down to the wire) when my kiddos are back in school.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent mine out... twice, in fact. The first time was this morning before work. At about three today I got to thinking and realized I probably didn't have enough postage to send it cross country... only had two stamps. So, I printed out a second copy, did another SASE and took it to the post office myself. $4.80 later and the version that'll get there was off!

Good luck to everyone else.

[This message has been edited by cklabyrinth (edited June 30, 2008).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so disappointed. My story has been ready for a month. I came home a few days ago and got it ready for the mail. Just needed a stop at the post office to put some stamps on. My little lady said she would take care of it for me.
it was still sitting on my desk when I came home from work.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no! Sorry to hear that Snapper. Try sending it to a Pro Market. Since you have it in an envelope already... well, you know what I mean. Turn lemons into lemonaide. Your piece seemed to be the style Analog goes for. Try them...really.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Email Joni, snapper. I once asked her about late submissions and she told me that I could send it in late with special instructions. See what she says. It can't hurt.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out. But, Good Luck to all who made it.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, IAB? You didn't send one or you got notified already? email or by writing?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get the rewrite done--in fact, ot grew on me, so that now I think it's heading for novel-length. I'm still chasing the end.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

LOL, IB - that's what my other supposed short story project is doing to me right now. These darn stories just torture me! Ah, well, it's all part of the writer's mystique. I get it so much better now.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

anybody hear anything yet? I see the forum is back up.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't even had my e-mail confirming they got my submission yet. It took over two weeks last quater so expecting it some time around the weekend.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been well over a month since I submitted mine and I still haven't received a confirmation. I hope it made it through properly.

I know the sad passing of Algis Burdrys threw the schedule into disorder. I suspect that things are just running a bit behind.

Have they even chosen a winner from last quarter yet? I haven't heard.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

No confirmation for me either.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, no confirmation yet for me, either. I thought I remember reading it could take them up to 4 weeks to send confirmation, but now I can't find that information so maybe it was for another contest. Or someone's speculation. Or empirical evidence.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Here to echo the consensus. I sent mine in on the last possible day. So, I'll probably get my confirmation last. If anyone gets one, post something so that we'll all know to look for our own. I haven't seen anything recently on the WotF blog, about winners or anything else. So, everything's kind of up in the air right now. Hope everyone is working on their next entry. Later.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy Wentworth sent back a couple boxes of manuscripts today. I think she sends them back to Joni Labaqui who then mails them back to us (if you included a SASE that is.)

I hope none of us were in that box.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Anthony, how do you find out this stuff? There's nothing on the forum or the blog about it.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 10, 2008).]

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Kathy posts semi-regular updates in the newsgroup on SFF.

The group name is sff.writing.writersofthefuture, I think you can read it via most news servers but I think you can only post if you are a member of SFF.

Anthony

debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, I'll check it out!
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

I finally received my entry confirmation at 3AM this morning.

Woot!

Anthony

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent mine out the last possible day(like others, lol) and just recieved confirmation that it arrived(and didnt receive a "sorry your story sucks" on its heels).
(actually I dont know if they send those sort of letters this is only the second time I have entered. Still happy i didnt get one.)

Anyway, good luck all!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hm... It seems they are responding in reverse chronology. That is, if you sent it early, it's on the bottom of the stack. I sent mine in a five days before the deadline and still have received no word.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I sent mine on the very last day and have not received confirmation, anne - so I think it's just truly random depending on how the envelopes are opened and when they have to start making a new stack and all that jazz. I'll post when I hear confirmation.
annepin
Member # 5952

I'm just a pessimist!
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Got my confirmation email this morning. I'm officially in!!!

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

still nothing...
debhoag
Member # 5493

are you guys getting your confirmations via snail mail or email?
darklight
Member # 5213

Sent mine on the 26th, still no confirmation. And they're sent via email, deb.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I sent mine in a good week or so prior. Haven't heard a thing.
annepin
Member # 5952

Assuming, of course, you gave them your email! I sent mine on the 27, no reply yet. I also sent them an SASE, so I wonder which one they will use? Don't remember if i actually put a stamp on the SASE, though.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

I could be wrong but I think that the SASE is not for confirmation of receipt but rather an indication of your place in the contest (honorable mention, finalist, etc).

If you included your email on the cover sheet, Joni strives to send out an email to you when she processes your manuscript but its not a guarantee. If you didn't include your email then you won't receive anything until your manuscript is judged.

That's how I interpreted the rules that is.

Anthony

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Still no confirmation...
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm right there with ya, man. Don't give up yet. I still need the encouragement.
darklight
Member # 5213

Finally, I got my confirmation. It took twenty three days from sending the entry off.

Anyone been waiting longer than that?

debhoag
Member # 5493

I sent mine 6/24.

any minute, now . . .

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 19, 2008).]

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I haven’t been around much in the last few weeks but I’ve had a busy summer with work and family and even now we’re getting ready to go to Yosemite for two weeks. I just wanted to tell you I got a call from Joni about an hour ago. She said they are about half-way through reading but I am currently a finalist. Essentially there would have to be 8 other stories better than mine out of the remaining boxes to bump me to Semi because I am currently tagged as number 1 in the finalist list. That is to say Kathy has my story marked as the best of the first half of the quarters entries. I just about fell off my chair. Joni was pretty excited for me too, nice woman.

I'm not getting too excited yet as this is like leading in a marathon at the 13-mile mark... anything could happen. Still I will allow myself a little excitement.

Tracy

I should note that this doesn't mean my story is ahead of any of your entries because you all seem to enter late and your stories would not have been read yet. I sent this one in on 15th of April.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited July 20, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

How exciting, Tracy!

Grats on the phone call. I didn't know they made those sort of calls before all the stories were judged, but then this is my first quarter so I'm learning more and more everyday.

Congratulations!

Anthony

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn’t know either. Apparently Kathy sends them back ranked so Joni knows which to bump to Semi and HM as more ranked winners come in. In theory I could get bumped all the way to HM. But yeah, I was a little surprised she told me that, it was however the sole purpose of her call.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Way to go Tracy.

I Still have yet to even get my confirmation that my story made it.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I think Joni reads this. I just got mine two minutes after I posted
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

LOL BT!

Anthony

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sent mine on 6/30. Still waiting... Am I the only one left? Sheesh.
annepin
Member # 5952

Wow, congrats Tracy! That's awesome!

WriterDan, I sent mine 6/27 and still no response, so don't feel like you're the only one!

Since others have estimated 3-4 weeks, I'd say we still have a week yet before our situation becomes aberrant. And based on the experiences here, after posting our comments, we'll hear in the next few minutes!

KayTi
Member # 5137

I haven't received a confirmation note either.

I know I received a confirmation the first quarter I entered, but I don't recall receiving a confirmation the second or third (I think this is my fourth entry, LOL, you'd think I'd keep better records!) I hypothesized that they create an email database and send confirmations to those who are new submitters. But this is highly unlikely, much more likely is the case that my overly-aggressive junkmail filter got it, or that my submission was received and considered but just not email confirmed-received.

ANYWAY - sent on 6/30 (at 4 pm, no less, LOL) and no confirmation yet. Hiya Joni! My email addy starts with this same handle.

debhoag
Member # 5493

I haven't heard anything yet, either. Although I did get a spam-block notice the other day. If that was it, I don't have any way I can figure out to go back and see what got blocked.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Deb, then you should probably adjust your spam settings! (you can do this by going to your internet service provider's webpage, most often.)

Meanwhile, I got my confirmation this morning.

I'm sure they're just processing hundreds, thousands of these entries - it takes a while.

debhoag
Member # 5493

maybe even millions! . And my spam block is set low, Kayti. It's just posessed by a demon determined to thwart my writing career. That's all.
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Got my confirmation today, too.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

CONFIRMED FOR Q03!!! Ha, ha, ha! Man, it feels good to finally have that. Luck, everyone!
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Got a second confirmation, so I guess they paid a couple bucks postage for the first package I sent with only two stamps, instead of sending it back. If I email someone at the contest and explain what happened, is there any chance I won't be disqualified?
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.