Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a critique group for writers that entered a story into the first quarter of 2010 in the Writers of the Future contest (27th year).

After the end of the quarter, entries submitted have been responded to as thus:

Honorable Mentions:
Snapper
JenniferHicks
InarticulateBabbler
Rick Novy
tchernabyelo
Kitti

If I have missed anyone that participated in the group during this quarter and got some kind of award, just let me know and I'll add you to the list. These are our Woo-hoos!

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited June 14, 2010).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping to have the alien story I've been cutting down from 29,900 to now at 20, 800 and counting. This has been a bear to cut that much. Not everything on the cutting room floor is bad or unneeded. I'm reaching the point where what gets cut is stuff that is not critical. Some of it is setting details that enriched the milieu of an alien civilization. Sigh. Still, story is more important.

Oh, I'm getting ready to print off Cory. Any more critiques out there for it?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 04, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll be in, but I don't know with what yet. I was planning a story, but since I'll be doing NaNoWriMo again, I don't think I'll have time for such a complex story this time around, so it'll probably be something already in the pipeline, or a finished piece I can polish up.

Here's the list:

WriterDan
arriki
darklight

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know what I'll do yet, but I'm determined to do something. Count me in.

WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, already? I'm in.

WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in... no clue for my story, but it will come.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

The story I intend to submit this time around is one I started writing about seven to eight months ago. I've got around 5,500 words and have probably another two or so to write before its done. I read through it the other day, making minor changes to what I have and making sure I still like it, and was happy with it so far. Now, I'm wary of finishing it because it has a certian tone and feeling about it, and since it's been so long since I wrote it, I'm worried that I won't be able to recapture that tone, and end up with two parts of the story that somehow don't have the same feeling. I know where it's going, and where it will end up, I'm just worried it won't be the same.

Has anyone encountered this, and how would you go about trying to join the old with the new seemlessly?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a couple of things you might try.

First of all, read and reread the written part and keep doing that until you feel that the tone has seeped back into your brain. Then write the rest of it as quickly as you can. And do the polishing rewrite while you still have the tone.

If that doesn't work (and you can probably tell by having new readers watch for a point where the story feels different as they read it), you might be willing to try something a little more drastic.

Put the current version away somewhere and don't look at it while you write the whole thing all over again. The tone may not be exactly the same, but it will be more consistent, and you will be applying skills and improvements in your writing that you may not have had when you started writing the story all those months ago.

Of course, neither of these may be things you want to do, but I offer them in hopes that they may help, darklight.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

I second KDW's motions.

A lot of my project end up being stretched across months... years... and I lose the original tone that I had when I began ('cause let's face it, I'm not sixteen anymore!) Oftentimes the re-reading thing works for me and I'd recommend giving it a try; worse thing that happens is you conclude you'll never be able to recapture that tone and you'll know for sure that you need to rewrite the whole thing from start to finish.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Some good suggestions, thanks. I think I'll try the rereading one first, see how that goes, if not, write the whole thing then go for the rewrite option. I'm not even sure why I never finished it back then, it was going so well, and I just left it hanging. Probably the same reason why I struggle to actually finish any story. For reasons I can only speculate on, when I know I am coming to the last couple of scenes of any story, be it short or novel length, I begin to stall. It’s the hardest part to write for me, not because I don't know how to end it, but because, I think, I don't want to. Does that make sense?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it makes sense.

May I suggest that you play a trick on yourself, and write the end as soon as you know what it is? Then sort of sneak up on it by writing what comes just before it, and then what comes just before that, so that your writing actually meets in the middle?

Then you can smooth it all over in the rewrite.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

- posted      Profile for lbdavid98   Email lbdavid98         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone I'm new to the tree house, and I'd love to submit to WotF, but right now I'm focused on completing my novel for November. I'm vaguely familiar with the contest, and I'd love to participate in it for Q02... but if no one minds, I'd like to offer to help with the reading for the group in the interim. I figure participating now will give me a little better idea of what the process and deadlines are like, so I can get into a rhythm of writing and submitting. Plus, I think it'll help me prepare and feel more confident for next quarter.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Kathleen, I really like that idea. I shall give it a try. I've never been one for writing out of order, instead I've always written from start to beginning, as it happens, but the idea of writing the ending as soon as I know it could work for me.

lbdavid98, no problem. We're always happy to have new people on board. You're welcome to participate in anyway.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Current List
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm

Critting only
lbdavid98

Looks like we're in for a good time this quarter.

Think I've finally decided on my story for this quarter. My mind just keeps coming back to it. So, time to write!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I'm writing a new story right now. I'm giving myself till Oct 1 on it, then I'll return to cutting RESCUE MISSION down to 16,000+ words. It's over 20K right now.

I have to cut it down then try and make it make sense.

But this little Mars story that I posted the first 13 of, I'm finding interesting. There's no way I could both write it and polish it in time. Most of my stories require aging to reach any level of quality and this one does most definitely. I don't even know what it's about more than - probably - an escape story. Even the pov is unclear. I have both a file for the story as it's unfolding and a separate one for the background as I invent that.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to join, because having a deadline like this will force me to finally finish a story!

I had planned on getting a story in for this current quarter, but its coming right down to the end now. The only story I have completed is a 1000 word flash, which I have not had critiqued yet but I feel is good enough to submit, although not first place quality I know. Is a flash story even a good idea to submit? What does everyone think?

I am going to buckle down and flesh out my mars story I have posted the 13 lines for already...

Even if I can't meet the deadlines of completion, I will be happy to participate with reviewing others stories.

Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire

Critting only
lbdavid98

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JVirgil
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for JVirgil   Email JVirgil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a new writer, so I don't have much to share right now. I would like to offer to critique for this quarter with the hopes of having something ready for the next one. I will follow the critique samples posted on the board.

PS-lbdavid98, thanks for giving me this idea for getting started with the hatrack WotF group.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Curious to know what kind of stories makes it into the anthology?

http://www.diabolicalplots.com/?p=551

Reviewer is a hack (Whoops. Missed the 'tra') writer but he does give you an idea of what made it in last year.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper,

I'm extremely disappointed to learn what you look like. I really thought you'd have more teeth and possibly a tail.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Well those word police kinda roughed me up...
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
LOLz
Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

- posted      Profile for lbdavid98   Email lbdavid98         Edit/Delete Post 
@JVirgil: No problems, glad to see you on board. I have a great feeling about this forum, now I just need to get back to writing!
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JVirgil
Member # 8799

Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Just getting signed up the correct way. Looking forward to reading a few stories soon.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I just passed the 20,000 word mark on cutting my alien story. Only 3,000 more words to go. The closer I get to the 17,000 maximum, the harder it's getting to cut stuff out.

I have a goal of 100 words a day. Can I make it? Will the story be worth reading when I do?

Gack!

snapper
Member # 7299

Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire
snapper

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Skadder has put the pressure on the rest of us. I got one almost completed. Is everyone ready for first reads?

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
OK...Ok I am in.

Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire
snapper
Bent Tree

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Snapper, I'm ready to read whenever you're done. That goes for everyone else too. Not to put pressure on anyone, but if I can get the first round of crits done by the end of this month, it would take a huge amount of pressure of, since I'm going to be working hard all November on my NaNo novel. As usual, I'll be taking some vacation time in November, so will have more time for NaNo, crits, and polishing my story. Think I'll be needing it! (I like how I manage to get more days off in November than days at work.)

I'm going to get my story finished up these next few days, so if you're ready to crit now, let us know.

Here's a ready to crit now list, not to be confused with the participating list:

darklight

JVirgil
Member # 8799

Here's a ready to crit now list, not to be confused with the participating list:

darklight
JVirgil

arriki
Member # 3079

Ummm...do you mean have a story to be critiqued or are willing to critique other people's stories?

I still have almost 3000 more words to cut out of my story. But I really need someone unfamiliar with it to read the present version and see if it still makes sense. Perhaps point out some stuff that could be cut without damaging the story.

darklight
Member # 5213

The new list is for people willing to critique now, so if you have something, send it over.
arriki
Member # 3079

What I would like to solicit is one person to read the story as it is at present. I have cut 10,000 words out already and I need to know if the story still makes sense.
snapper
Member # 7299

Ready to crit

darklight
JVirgil
snapper

Sent mine to darklight. JVirgil, we have no email address for you. I would be happy to send mine to you.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited October 09, 2009).]

darklight
Member # 5213

arriki, if you're not in an immediate rush to get the story back, I can take a look. I'm working today and Sunday, then I'm at home most of next week. Once I've critted snapper's story, I can take a look at yours if you want to send it over.
arriki
Member # 3079

Thanks, but I finally got a reader for this stage. I'd rather save you guys - if it works out with the other fellow - for when the story is a trim 16,000+ words and merely needs fixing rather than this butchering. Don't worry. It's going to land in your mailbox eventually (I hope).

I do have a backup story I could switch to if this proves too difficult.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ready to crit

darklight
JVirgil
snapper
owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JVirgil
Member # 8799

@ Snapper

jamesvirgil11_at_gmail.com Sorry, I thought the forum allowed for sending emails through it. I'm ready to look at it.

Kitti
Member # 7277

Hey, I'm going to send my first draft out to the ready-to-crit folks momentarily. And adding myself to the list.

Ready to crit:
darklight
JVirgil
snapper
owasm
Kitti

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Deadline up!

Doesn't mean I'm finished though. Grumble, grumble...

Got a good portion of the re-draft finished, but still a bunch to go. I need to get better at this. Still going to push to get it off early though. Gotta get ahead of the game.

Anyone looking to throw their story out to the critique-gators, go for it. No need for an extra list now. We're all committed.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent out my story. Please let me know if you didn't get it or have trouble opening or reading the file. I'm ready to critique, so feel free to send me your fantastic tales.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Received in good shape.
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not done with my story yet...my constant stuggle is finishing what I thought was a great concept at the beginning, and losing my focus along the way. As I write I keep thinking of different variations or alternative scenes and start questioning what I have already written.

I hope to finish in another week, but I am open to start critiquing others so feel free to send your story to me as well

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I HATE WORD!!!!

I came back to my computer yesterday and started in slicing more words out of this story. I paused to save and BAM! I get this message that I can't and it lists three possible reasons none which can possibly fit! Then it erases not just this version. Oh, no. It erases EVERY X#%@%@ VERSION OF THIS FILE. Fortunately, I have changed the file name a few times. I didn't lose them all - just 1000+ words of cutting this down, ARGH!!!!

I HATE WORD!!!!

arriki
Member # 3079

It's hard to believe but I am down to the last 1000 words to cut.
Kitti
Member # 7277

And there was much rejoicing throughout the thread - yea! :-)
arriki
Member # 3079

Is JenniferHicks's story the only one out for first critique yet?
snapper
Member # 7299

I sent my version to darklight and reworking it because of some comments that I must agree with. I am considering sending it to another anthology that it fits so I amy not be sending it to anyone else (haven't decided yet)

I did get Owasm's story and Jessicas as well.

arriki
Member # 3079

I didn't get either.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I haven't received any stories, either.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to get in on this group? New to forums but was planning on a 1st guarter WOTF submission. I have a story started but not sure if I will make the critique deadlines in time.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

One reason why you probably haven't received any entries yet, arriki and Jennifer, is because you haven't placed your name on the ready to crit list.

Just add your name to teh list, Dark Warrior. Pleasure to have you aboard.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.