Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine out before the post office closed for new years!!

*Fingers crossed*

I'll probably take a break from next quarter's group, and work on actually finishing my stories in time. then I look forward to joining and working with all of you again!

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on that one. Mine's gone. With no crits. My fault completely, of course. Sorry I missed your request, IB. Was gone on vacation and not checking back here at all. I'm to blame. That being said, I think things turned out pretty good. Luck to everyone! And on to the next!!!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dan, if you still want to trade, I'd be happy to.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dear Donavan,

Your story has arrived and has been entered in the 1st
quarter of the 2010 L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future
contest. (1 Oct - 31 December).

WOOT! First entry notification for me lol

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't gotten my confirmation, yet...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine came today.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine a few days ago. Always nice to know that it's not lost in the mail.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, our submissions are up next. KDW will do crits on last quarters Semi's, take a few weeks off, then start going through the slush pile that our Q01 stories are stacked in. Good luck all
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Finally got my confirmation--I'm in Q1/2010.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a question. I sent a story in for this quarter before the end of last year, but I've just gotten an email saying the story has been entered into Q2 ending march 31. Should I email and say something about this or is it too late now? I'm working on a story for Q2 but haven't sent it in yet.

Thought I would add that the email also said thank you for your note and entry, but I didn't send a note. Do you think there might be some confusion, a mix up perhaps. I've never had an email before mentioning a note, so I don't think this is standard to the email Joni usually sends out.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited February 04, 2010).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Darklight, contact them. That mention of a note sounds fishy and you want to be sure that the manuscript they think is your story really is your story.

They may tell you to save the one you're working on for the next quarter, because they certainly can't enter it in the quarter you sent it for (that's passed).

You should be able to ask them to return it to you if you don't want it entered in this quarter (so you can enter the one you're planning for this quarter).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

It appears KDW is through the first batch of Q01 WOTF entries. Good luck everyone!

quote:
Kathy Wentworth
Article 5263, Fri 26 Feb 2010 08:20:01p

I sent more than half the entries back today--minus the possible finalists of
course.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=blogview&group=sff.writing.writersofthefuture&from=5248

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Oh! Pain!

I hate this part of the contest. Knowing that results are probably just around the corner and I don't have anyone beating down my door to tell me I've won. Just about kills me every quarter.

Thus, I'm retreating for a re-group. Back to furious writing and just...trying...to...forget.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

This is probably one of the few times all year I'll actually put in the effort to make sure my cell phone doesn't get lost somewhere in silent mode... :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received my story back with a note that it exceeded the word count guidelines.

It most certainly DID NOT! It was fifteen words short of the 17,000 word maximum. So I guess WOTF DOES NOT ABIDE BY THEIR OWN GUIDELINES!!!!!!!

I am so angry!!!!

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/

Blog has posted the first set of HM now.

Sorry to hear your news Arriki...I would be interested in hearing how they officially count their words so we can get the word out and keep that from happening to other hatrackers.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with K D Wentworth on how WotF determines story length, and this is what she told me.
quote:
The problem is that people use their word processing program to count words and every one of them counts differently. The first thing my agent told me, once she accepted me, was to stop doing that. Mine was counting short. My manuscripts were longer than I thought. The industry standard is to use a count of 250 words/page for manuscripts that are correctly formatted. Go to Vonda McIntyre's file on the SFWA resources page (open to outsiders) to make sure [to use] correct format. A properly formatted 17K manuscript should run close to 68 pages.

Vonda McIntyre's file is a downloadable PDF file, so if you right-click on the link and select SAVE TARGET AS, you can download it to your own computer.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 13, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

They need to SAY that. Drop the 17,000 words. It's misleading (actually, it's a LIE since they never intended to abide by it) and say what they really mean. 65 or 68 PAGES and be specific. IS it 65 or is it 68? The people who send them stories are by design many of them knowing nothing about "industry standards" and trust their words counts. Especially these days.

I think everyone is owed an apology from WOTF.
ESPECIALLY ME.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited March 14, 2010).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Can't find any SAVE AS TARGET at her site but she did recommend in the text to use your computer's own word processesor's word count.
arriki
Member # 3079

"A properly formatted 17K manuscript should run close to 68 pages"

That's no good. What is the cut off. IS it 68 pages or is it not?

I mean "close to" is so vague that it COULD mean 70 pages or even 76 pages like MY STORY!

arriki
Member # 3079

I think the newbie writers here on Hatrack deserve clarification and not vagueness.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I think you have a right to be upset. My Q02 story, that I just sent off, comes up just under 16,000 words. After hearing your problem I decided to check. If I put it in Courier New it comes up 75 pages, in Times New Roman it comes up 55 pages. I have seen both fonts referred to as 'industry standard'.

That is just too much variation to use as a measuring stick. If they're going to discount people's word processor counts then they need to provide a word counter on their website, like NaNoWriMo does so everyone is held to the same standard.

I don't know what else to say but I'm sorry for your news arriki. If mine comes back for the same reason, at a full thousand words under, I will be mighty angry.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I use two wps. On both of them I've checked. When I add 15 words to the mss, the word count rises by 15 words. When I cut two hundred and 56 words, it goes down by that same exact amount.

Perhaps twenty years ago word processors were less reliable. AND perhaps they also count the # sign signaling a hard break when as a "word" but that would only mean a higher word count than actual which shouldn't bother anyone submitting stories if their mss is actually a tad shorter. Anybody disagree with that?

Maybe I should go through my mss and hand count the words. List on each page the word count and add it up and put THAT on the mss and resubmit it. If it is under 17,000 words it SHOULD be judged. Can you get WOTF to accept that, Kathleen? The rules for the time I submitted the story were 17,000 words. Let's be honest and judge my story on it's quality. I'm sure it won't even get an HM no matter HOW good it actually is after making this fuss, but I would like to it to have a FAIR reading.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

It would be great to see your story included Arriki, Especially since I think it is strong and gives us Hatrackers another chance to place in the competition. I have to wonder though, after this, whether your story is or would still be anonymous??
arriki
Member # 3079

That's the problem. It's one reason I'm asking Kathleen to communicate for ALL of us who subscribe to this writing site. It still won't make my story anonymous - yeah. As I said I'm sure there is no way in xxxx it will get a fair reading now. It could go off and win the HUGO and the Nebula even the Nobel prize and they'd return it without comment as not up to their standards.

I'm scrxxed either way. And it was a good story. I worked so hard to make it fit their stated guidelines and then it turns out they don't have any guidelines they abide by!

Genevive42 -- did you use courier or New Times Roman for your story when you sent it off? Was it 75 pages long?

arriki
Member # 3079

Hmmm...Kathleen --

Ask WOTF also about the font. If they will accept Times New Roman, then I can resubmit my story in that font and it will be under the 68 page length (if THAT means anything).

In New Times Roman my story is 68 pages long.

Will they accept that?

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I actually sent it off in Calibri. I know it's not standard but I thought it was cleaner and easier to read on the page. It was 57 pages.

Also, I believe you can submit a rewrite. Maybe you can shave a little off your story and resubmit. Just a thought.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Yes, but...resubmit it in New Times Roman at what page count? I don't know if they'd accept that or if they'd sent it back again because it wasn't 65 pages. Or maybe they'd decide this time they don't want anything more than 60 pages?

We don't know what the actual rules are, do we?

I just don't know. Since they misrepresented the rules at 17,000 words, who can depend on them. All the people writing 5,000 to 10,000 word stories PROBABLY are safe, but if you want to go beyond that --- !

Kathleen, can you get them to commit to some real guideline on length?

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi arriki. Have you considered discussing this on the WotF forum? (There's also a section in which K D Wentworth may be able to respond to your query directly).
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I don't want to get myself blacklisted from WOTF.
However I believe this question needs to addressed formally for our whole writing site. Not just me complaining.

What do you say, Kathleen?

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear your story was disqualified, arikki. I had a story fail to be judged in the proper quarter because of a clerical error at the WOTF office (they took off my title page and the first page of the story, so it went to KDW on page 3.) Sucked for me since it meant I had to wait another quarter for the story I wanted to enter into that current quarter.

Truth is, this is a FREE writing contest that we enter. They post their guidelines. We are subject to their interpretations of those guidelines. <shrug> Winners get an awesome prize. We contestants do our best to put our greatest work forward, but we're just contestants in the end.

I just checked a chapter of my WIP. On one word processor, it's 1431 words (MS Word for Mac '08 verison.) On another word processor it's 1438 (Scrivener for Mac.) If I use 250 words/page of properly formatted (1 inch margins all around, Courier font) manuscript, I get 1750 words.

I'm glad this came up because I'm about to start shopping my novel, and I fear it's a tad short for the YA marketplace, as it's about 60k words when most YA works are in the 80k range. Well, now that I can see that my two word processors seem to UNDER count words, I will know to use the 250 words * number of pages (a formula I knew but hadn't used on the MS yet) to recompute.

In case anyone was curious, the formula caused my 61k manuscript to go up to 69k. An eight thousand word discrepancy. Works in my favor in this case, as it will be much easier for me to shop a 70k story than a 60k one (and in final edits I may end up adding enough to round up to 80k anyway.)

In any word count discrepancy, it makes sense to go with the largest estimate of words.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sidenote, genevieve, where have you heard this?
quote:
If I put it in Courier New it comes up 75 pages, in Times New Roman it comes up 55 pages. I have seen both fonts referred to as 'industry standard'.

Courier is a standard, but I've never heard Times New Roman listed as an industry standard. It's a proportional font - meaning the space a skinny letter like l or i or t occupies on the page is less than the space that a wide letter like w or m takes up. This means the letters smush together more, making more room on the line for more words, making more room on the page for more lines, etc.

Times New Roman may be a preferred font in certain situations, e.g., academic settings it may be the preferred/standard for submitting assignments, but in publishing I've not heard of it as standard.

One of the primary reasons that editors want manuscripts in courier is because it's predictable. They know how many lines fit on a page, how many words per page (hence the 250 word/page estimate kdw quoted) and all that. They can flip through the MS and see at a glance whether it would fit in the space they're trying to fill. And then there's a sameness to each of the manuscripts they receive so the focus is on the stories the manuscripts tell, rather than on interpreting the MS.

There are a lot of writing rules out there that are debatable, but this is one of those ones I don't think is, since an improperly formatted ms can cause an editor to put the MS to the side. They're LOOKING for reasons to reject stories because they don't have room for all the stories in the slush pile (this applies to WOTF too.) I figure I never want to give them a reason to pass over mine, so I stick to the MS formatting requirements of each market like glue, even though it sometimes means having to slightly tweak my MS to fit a specific market's idiosyncrasies.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

This sounds like a tantrum. You should know the Common Manuscript Format by now, or have done the research.

In my first few months here, I learned 12 point courier was the most common font and size for proper manuscript submission. I also found that other fonts were acceptable, but that they all should amount to 10 words (average) per line, 25 lines per page. (250 words per page.) Funny how KD Wentworth's word approximation falls neatly in line with that, huh? Failure to use Courier 12 point, when it has long been the industry standard, is a choice you chose to take. There are consequencs to ALL decisions.

The sad thing is, we've tackled this discussion many times here on Hatrack. That you should act surprised is ridiculous.

Troubleshooing: Does you word counter count hyphenated words as one? Mine does. In 250 words-a-page approximation, the blank spaces on a page are also counted as words. Do you have your Widow/Orphan control off? Do you have space before and after at 0?

Either way, throwing a tantrum for a perceived wrong does nothing to impress any editor. That is something all newbies should know.

genevive42
Member # 8714

In a number of submission guidelines I've seen it said to use Courier or Times New Roman. I can't pinpoint where but it's more than once that I've heard them mentioned in the same breath.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

This is from OSC's Writing Lessons...just an example of the differences out there

quote:
The font isn't important except that it be very readable - which means use a serif font. It used to be necessary to use a monospace font like Courier, where all the letters are the same width (as with a typewriter). But now that publishers are getting the final manuscript electronically, they can handle an ordinary proportional font. Times Roman is standard, but I use Bookman Old Style because the letters are so open and the text is warm and readable.

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/2006-03-07-1.shtml

arriki
Member # 3079

What I'm saying is that it isn't the word count that matters. It's the PAGE count that does. Nowhere in these days of word processors is THAT made clear. It should be.

STILL can't find the word counter on Vonda McIntyre's site. Point me the way, please.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited March 15, 2010).]

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Either way, throwing a tantrum for a perceived wrong does nothing to impress any editor. That is something all newbies should know.

I don't believe Danielle is throwing a tantrum at an editor but instead venting her anger here, an appropriate place to do so.

Yes, KDW's 10 words per line approximation does fall neatly in line with a 68 page count (granted it doesn't take in account that the first page is actually a half of page), but when you do the math of arriki's script, hers comes out to 9 words per line. An easy outcome if you write a Science Fiction story filled with inventive terms and off-wordly names.

You deserve our symapthy, Danielle. To work so hard on writing and editing a piece of that length is a monstrous endeavor. I hope you take whatever steps it needs so you can resubmit it. Stick with it. KDW liked your writing enough to award you with a semi-finalist. That is more than most of us can say.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I just posted a question at the WotF newsgroup that Kathy frequents. Here's a link:

WriterDan's Word Count Question

We'll see what she says. I'll be sure to follow-up and link to the answer. Perhaps we can add this to our compiled list of WotF-related posts here at Hatrack.

snapper
Member # 7299

Your word counts have always been high, Dan. You have this problem? What was the most pages you sent?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Why all the drama and angst? Has the story be eliminated from all future competition? I didn't see that anywhere, though I might be mistaken.

If it hasn't been permanently banned, edit it down and resubmit. No need for anger.

And in the future, don't play so close to the edge. Being within 1% of a target word count is playing with fire. 15 words is 0.1%. Give yourself just a little more leeway. This isn't flash fiction, where absolutely every last word counts.

No need to raise hell here. We have all been made aware of how WOTF calculates word count. Thanks for that lesson arriki.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Snapper, this is my story-history for the last several quarters:

Words...Pgs...Words/pg
6000.....23......261 -- Times New Roman (Returned, no comments)
16300...73......223 -- Not submitted

Starting with my 8k-word submission, my manuscript has been formatted with with Courier font, but it always had 1-inch margins with proper headings, and blah, blah, blah. Sixty pages is the closest I've ever gotten to the "limit" on a submission. As an aside, I seem to be a bit light of the 250 words/page average that is always quoted. Maybe that's why I'm not published yet. Not enough dense paragraphs full of plot-stopping description.

Anyhow, I got a response back from Kathy, but had to ask a follow-up question. I'll get everything back here once I've figured this question out to my satisfaction.

PS -- Sorry about all the periods. Guess the text parser here didn't like the white-space in my tables cause it kept erasing it.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited March 15, 2010).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Thanks WD...I added the info to the WOTF length and will edit in the follow up response as well.
snapper
Member # 7299

BTW, anyone else besides arriki and Jennifer hear anything on their submission yet?
Kitti
Member # 7277

Nope. But I got mine off JUST before the deadline, so I figure I was at the bottom of the pile.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW has not said anything on her message board about sending back more entries, and no new press releases have shown up on the Internet about a second set of HMs. So it looks like those who submitted late in the quarter will have to wait awhile longer.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I can't "get" WotF to do anything.

They offer the contest as a service. It is not a contract, and they are not committing breach of promise when they are not very clear about their entry rules. As I understand it, they have a website where anyone can ask questions and receive answers in a timely fashion.

And I certainly am not going to demand that they apologize to anyone.

The most I can do is suggest that they consider clarifying their length requirements, which I fully intend to do.

I sincerely hope that you are not really storming around, yelling and screaming, the way it seems that you are doing, arriki. It can't be good for your blood pressure or your digestion.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

As far as Q01 overall, KD Wentworth said tonight that she hopes to be finished with the last batch of stories this week.

http://goldenagestories.com/beta/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=503&start=240

arriki
Member # 3079

Venting my displeasure here is all.

So there are places to hunt up the footnotes, but why should I assume they don't MEAN what the most prominent source they promote says?

I quote from their web site --
3. To be eligible, entries must be works of prose, up to 17,000 words in length. We regret we cannot consider poetry, or works intended for children.

No mention of "go to this place to find out the true measurement." What they have seems quite clear. However, you can write a story far beneath 17K in length and still when printed out in courier it runs longer than 68 pages. 17,000 words. That's thinking from the last century when they were dealing with hard copy coming from typewriters. Why can't they be fair and honest about they actually want? How hard is it to change the number three rule to say "up to 68 pages double-spaced?"

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
That's thinking from the last century when they were dealing with hard copy coming from typewriters.

Actually that is having to deal with the spaces taken up in hardcopy publications. The WotF IS publishing a hardcopy anthology, and have to account for "white" space when buying stories to be included.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I got my last response from Kathy:

Vonda McIntyre recommends against using proportional fonts.

Pretty much what I got out of this conversation with her is that the REAL limit is about 68 pages (give or take 1, MAYBE 2 pages) but that she didn't want to say that right out because it'll directly contradict what the rules on the WotF website say. This limitation of "number of pages" instead of "number of words" is most likely due to the publication issue of "page space in print". Why don't they change the posted rule then? I don't know. Not our call though.

Thus, the rubric that I'd suggest going by is 68 pages, properly formatted (according to Vonda McIntyre) in a constant-width font. In other words, forget about the 17k thing, because that's not what is used in practice.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited March 16, 2010).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.