Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire
snapper
Bent Tree
Dark Warrior

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Thanks, I will try to catch up

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was fair game to send to everyone now? I just haven't gotten around to sending my ms out to everyone because I've been sucked into my novel and WOTF got put on the back burner. Soon to be remedied!
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding was that after the Oct. 15 deadline, there was no longer a need for a separate ready-to-critique list. In either case, if anyone has a story ready for critique, please include me in your send list.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way things have usually been set up. If people are open for early crit submissions, then there's been the second list. Anyhow, get em out peoples. We're all looking for the stories.

So, my redraft is taking longer than I had thought it would. Couple that will school bearing down on me, and my halloween costume to put together, and progress has dropped to a crawl.

The progress that I have made though is turning out really well. Have added 2k worth of a new beginning that is getting me excited for the story more than ever.

Am going to try and have it out by Nov 7th so I can (hopefully) still make my "one month early" deadline. Here's to hoping.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

OK, I think I just got mine out to everyone who wasn't on the early crit list. Let me know if I missed you :-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to send it to me if you want, I will be late with my submission by your deadline standards but I can still review with the rest of you.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
16,998 words!

That is one out of every three words cut from my original story.

Does it still read okay? Make sense?

I'm wiped out. Anyone want to take a crack at reading it?
It's sf.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Arriki, I am critting 2 right now but I will give yours a read.
arriki
Member # 3079

Sent it off. Had some trouble sending it. If it's messed up, tell me and I'll resend the story.

The very end (last few lines) still needs work. I was so focused on getting it cut down to 17,000- words that I let that slide.

Thanks for volunteering.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JVirgil
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for JVirgil   Email JVirgil         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I'll take a look at it for you.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nov 7th: Second drafts out for crits
Nov 30th: Mail-in final drafts for Q03

I can be "in" for the above.

Current List:
WriterDan
arriki
darklight
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm
LlessurNire
snapper
Bent Tree
Dark Warrior
InarticulateBabbler

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Nov 7th second! drafts?

I have only seen first critiquings for three people. (I am working on them.)

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only received a few drafts to critique and am ready for more.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Shall I send mine to you, Qwasm?

Regarding my own critiquing -- I've been immersed so deep in cutting out words that (I fear) it's going to affect how I view your stories right now.

That, and maybe I should call myself "jaded reader" because I've read so many stories.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Send it along. If we don't critique even the long ones, this group doesn't fulfill it's purpose.

I'm not so jaded, but if I start skimming or keel over asleep, you'll understand.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

By jaded I mean, how many thousands of stories have I read over the years?

I want something that intrigues me in some new way. A curious idea, a lyrical prose style or description, a secret to unravel, a place to visit (like Mars) that I can never go -- I'm hoping for those kinds of openings (13 lines) and full stories.

I'll send my story on after supper.
Gosh, I hope mine doesn't put you to sleep!

Thanks for looking it over.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 01, 2009).]

Kitti
Member # 7277

arriki - I'm frantically procrastinating something I was supposed to have done by now - I'd love to have something to read :-)
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Arriki...never got yours. I received Kitti's and Owasms.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 02, 2009).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. The only story I have received is Kitti's. I don't know how fast I'll get to everyone's stories because my home computer is dead. The only internet access I have now is at work, which limits my writing and critiquing time to before and after my shift.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

A warning, mine is at the WOTF max wordage. If you're pressed for time, do you want to read it?
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Arriki, send it and I'll get to it when I can. Probably this weekend.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I feel like I've been a dark tunnel for a couple of weeks, and am just beginning to see the light. I've been working a lot--nine days at work out of eleven, up until last Friday, and not getting a lot of sleep--feeling better now for a few days off and almost feel human again. I'm off until friday, then back at work for the weekend, hopefully refreshed and awake.

Anyhow, apologies to anyone who sent me a story and I've haven't gotten back to you. If you're waiting for a crit, let me know and I'll get to it. Equally, if there's anyone with a story I haven't seen yet, send it along.

My story is done, I just need to give a quick once over. With so many people on the list, I'm not sure I could cope with that many critiques all at once, so if there's three or four of you willing to give mine a look, let me know that too.

So how's it all going with you? Getting the stories written?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I haven't sent one to darklight, have I? I'm struggling with getting the ending right. It's the nuances of what they're saying to one another that's still not right.

I'm going to send JenniferHicks a copy as soon as I have that even halfway fixed. I hope by this weekend.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 04, 2009).]

darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I don't think I've got your story. You can send it when you're ready.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

It's been quiet in here since Nano rolled in.

I am at 5000 words and plugging away. A slower pace than the Nanoheads but I'm doing some editing and research in between the typing.

Just finished a big dialogue scene between my Protag and Antag, who he thought was an enemy, then realized he may be an ally, but will soon find out his initial instincts were right. Seemed bulky at first but I added some conflict, internal and external, and I am much happier with it now that it is more than a simple verbal exchange.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
My update...

Got a crit from...
darklight
(thank you)

Gave crits to...
Kitti
JenniferHicks
Owasm

The story darklight looked at I sent to an anthology that is a better fit for it. I am currently working on a replacement piece.

Anyone that needs a reader, here I am.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Weekend Update with Donavan Darius-

I'm at 7,500 words with some editing done along the way. Four more scenes and it will be a wrap.

I've done crits for

Arikki
OWASM
Teraen (Though it might not have been WOTF project)

Still working on crits for

Kitti

Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it wasn't a WOTF project, but the advice was invaluable. Thanks.

I'm not yet ready to submit anything of length for the WOTF for this quarter, but when this group reconvenes next quarter are there any restrictions about number of entries? I am juggling 3 short stories right now, and frankly would appreciate feedback on all of them to get my best entry possible...

Edit to add: I meant restrictions on participation in THIS GROUP, not the WOTF contest...

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited November 08, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

In my humble opinion, and I am not a moderator or rule maker, but the WOTF group is a support group, and if reviewing multiple stories, or portions of them, helps you get the best possible submission to WOTF then I have no problem doing that.
Kitti
Member # 7277

It'll probably depend on a ton of factors, like how many people are in the group, how many are getting their drafts in on time, etc. But I've found that almost always you can get one or two people from the group to take a quick second peek at something, or do a once-over of a second story idea you're considering replacing your first one, etc. We're really good at helping each other out.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

So I'm trying to find the time and motivation to finish my revision and send out my story again, but, honestly, this is the hardest part for me. I've read the comments and suggestions and have given them consideration before deciding which ones to use and which ones not to. But when it comes time to e-mail the story out again, I always feel just this side of terrified. I have visions of my fellow writers, who have given their precious time to help make my story better, fuming because they think I ignored what they had to say. Does anyone else have those concerns, or is it just me?

P.S. I'm still available for critiquing first (or second) drafts if anyone is ready to send.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
I have visions of my fellow writers, who have given their precious time to help make my story better, fuming because they think I ignored what they had to say.

so you are saying that you did NOT add teenage vampires going to a magic academy?

Crits/advice are just that...advice...I think we all realize that we have different points, some may be good for you and some may not be. I can live with someone not incorporating my crits just like I can live with them ripping apart a soulful first 13 that I feel emotionally invested in.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 09, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Oh JH. You are being silly.

1) we are here to help each other.

You are welcome to accept or ignore any or all of our comments.

2) It is your story.

Write how you like, not how you think we wanted to look.

3) Our opinions matters but a hill of beans.

You have one person to worry about. She Who Must Be Impressed. Perhaps you could butter up to her twin so she could put in a good word for you, but I wouldn't count on it. I've been working on that angle for years, without much success.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Sent what I hope is the final version to darklight and JenniferHicks.

Who else is waiting for it?

arriki
Member # 3079

As of Oct 30 the current list for critiquing was this.

WriterDan
arriki (excepting me on my own story)
darklight- sent to
Kitti - already critiqued
JenniferHicks - sent to her
Owasm
LlessurNire
snapper
Bent Tree - already critiqued
Dark Warrior
InarticulateBabbler

Critting only
lbdavid98
JVirgil

Who else in the group will critique RESCUE MISSION for me?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's ready for me, I will.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

If that is the disease story- sent to me as 'Cam'- I did a crit of the first version. If you value a 2nd opinion from me I will take a look at your 2nd draft.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 11, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Send it to me, arriki.
Owasm
Member # 8501

I'll take a look and see what you've done.
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm still working on my story....being a newer writer, and with life being really busy it is taking me a lot longer than I thought it would. I hope to finish it and have it out for critique by the end of november.

In the meantime, I am willing to critique. so anyone who has not sent one to me send it over! arriki, I am even willing to read your long story.

I will be away from computer until the 15th, then I will buckle down on writing and critiques

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Dark Warrior -- I haven't changed much since you've seen it. Had to do a little more cutting after getting the ending finally in (I hope) good shape.

I'll send the whole thing to you, again. The ending is the more important part for you to look at as it has been changed quite bit from when you read the story.

arriki
Member # 3079

Writer Dan and ibdavid98 -- you passing on this story?
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

10,500 and attacking the famous final scene. I'm on set all day tomorrow so probably wont finish up until Tuesday. I will take a day or two for some editing, before sending it out to the willing.
arriki
Member # 3079

willing

I swear I spelled it right the first try.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 16, 2009).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Dear Arriki, et al.

I promised you a crit of your ending by now, but yesterday I was driving home from a long day on the set of Cedar Rapids- sadly Sigourny Weaver, Sci-Fi queen, was not shooting that day, but I did meet Ed Helms (The Office, Hangover) and told John C. Reilly he looked hot in his cheesy suit at wardrobe- when a dog ran into the road. The dog used his telekinetic powers to bring the car in front of me to a complete stop inches before impact, however he forgot about me and I slammed into the rear end of the car.

Best part of the story, to quote the sheriff that responded "You could not have picked a worse person to hit." turns out the other driver is a renowned defense attorney and I anticipate many lawsuits in the near and far future. Le Sigh.

The flux capacitor on my car, and many other things are badly damaged and I will be focusing on getting that taken care of for the next couple of days so I will be hitting Pause on the Universal Remote and crits/my WOTF WIP will be delayed.

arriki
Member # 3079

Sorry to hear that, Dark Warrior.
Hope you get things fixed okay by the ins co(?) and the other guy is mollified cheaply.

snapper
Member # 7299

Sent everybody my story, whether you're ready (or wanted it) or not.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Between school and getting sick, I've been getting my butt kicked all over the place recently. Still open for critting stories whenever they're done. Been trying to get to mine, but haven't had a whole lot of luck. This was supposed to be my good month too. Nuts. I'm still out here. Just...out there. Yeah.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Writer Dan said -- Still open for critting stories

I think you're the last one on my list here. Should I send it on?

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

JenniferHicks-

I just found your WOTF story in my spam email folder. I will look it over during the weekend.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 20, 2009).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.