Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q01 -- Early Submissions
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
arikki, I'm about halfway through. Been very busy lately...not to mention, I didn't get to sleep this morning until 8am--then worked all day.

snapper, yours is next.

Jennifer's after.

I'm just getting around to my rewrite, so, I may just have to wing it.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm done with NaNo, so I can get to the few crits that have come my way. I'm now ready for more.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished the first draft tonight, 13,715 words. I will give it the once over and send out in the next day or two.

Still playing catch up after joining the group late.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, shipped your crit out a few minutes ago.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dark Warrior, Kitti, and Writer Dan.

I am a poor editor. I changed the name of my aliens and my hedgetrimmer and missed a couple. Sorry about the confusion everyone.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have critiqued the following stories: Snapper, Owasm, Kitti, and JenniferHicks.

Arriki, yours is next, hopefully in the next day or two.

I have not received any others, so feel free to send to me if you are done with your story.

I am still working madly on my own wip, trying to get this first draft done asap.

edited to add: my apologies for taking a long time getting to some of the stories, I have been really busy, but I will try to respond a lot faster in the future.

[This message has been edited by LlessurNire (edited November 23, 2009).]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki,

Yes. I'm open for critting any stories that are going to be submitted for this quarter to WotF.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

66% through my first edit. Eager to send it out for feedbacks.

Just curious as this is my first edit of a full story since ive been at Hatrack...when you edit do you do it beginning to end all at once? Mine is 15,000 words and I found it easier going through scene by scene instead of getting lost in the middle...then when im done with scenes will do the normal beginning to end once-over.

Disclaimer: This is the first piece I am really getting feedback on and I realize I have a long way to go. Every bit of feedback has helped me address an issue, and usually spawns additional thought on related issues. That said, if my first attempt at a project such as WOTF is too obvious as my first attempt I dont expect anyone to hold my hand or spend more time than they should on a crit. Feel free to kick it back and say "nice try, but you still have some work to do.

Hopefully my crits, nits, and comments have helped keep my hatrack membership card active. Still learning to crit too

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 27, 2009).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I do my editing all the way through every time. I don't know if that's any better than doing it scene by scene, but that's just the way I do it. Usually it takes 4-5 complete edits for me to catch everything and have it polished to a relative shine.

Glad to see that you're in this to learn, DW. That's the way it is for this group. Questions are always welcome. I'm not saying that we'll always have an answer for you though.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Learn? understatement. I was close to an epiphany last week but couldnt quite find it. Apparently Unwritten borrowed it, but it found its way back to me last night.

After a few articulate words from innarticulate, arch, and a couple others I was thinking about my experience and knowledge (or lack of) when it comes to drafts and revisions. I have Self-Edit on order, but I was looking at my Elements of Fiction Writing series sitting on my desk and realized that there were two books I never even opened because I wasnt ready yet. Manuscript Submission and Revision So last night I was reading through Revision and had my epiphany--actually I had two. One had to do with what I thought revision was and the other had to do with style, and both of them will greatly enhance my writing product, of course I still have a lot of work to do to overcome those deficiencies but I am excited I identifed them.

So quite simply, I have learned more than I could have imagined and know that I have so much more to learn. Thanks HR

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 30, 2009).]

Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished a story.

Arriki, your project is next, though I fear I won't have it to you by the time you were planning to submit.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 01, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Whose have I not read and returned? I know I'm behind on the 2nd version of the wedding story.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Arriki,
You can shelf the crit on mine for now. I have identified some major issues and have started a complete rewrite. If you already took notes feel free to send them but I dont want you to get bogged down with it.
DW

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited December 01, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Teraen, please erase that title. WotF could disqualify the story because the title is out here.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Ah, the early edition is now over, however, I just got around to modifying my entry. Is anyone out there willing to give it a read?

It's the furry couple story.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Send it on. I don't think I've looked this one over, have I?
I'm just waiting on a couple of last critiques on mine, then (I hope) mine'll be off.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Inarticulate Babbler:

Huh? What title? I think I missed something from your comment.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Teraen- kdw took care of it.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Roll Call:

How many from this group have sent out their Q01 submissions?

I have about 3 more scenes left on my 1st rewrite, wow I am running behind on this one.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Still working on my rewrite (working on a previous WotF entry). Have the new beginning almost done. Have some mid-story work to do yet, and then I'll be done. Haven't sent my story around to anyone this quarter yet either. So, don't think you're alone, DW.
Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm having a hard time this quarter with two stories written that weren't quite right. Now I'm on a third, an oldie and a (maybe)goldie, that I might have to send in.
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready to send mine out, just haven't had time to get to the post office yet.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I put mine in the mail Monday. Yeah! That makes my fifth WOTF entry without missing a quarter. I'm turning into a veteran.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

16,992 words counting the two for the title AND the "The End" on the last page! Whew!

It went into the postal service around noon today (Friday), Dec, 11, 2009.

Now that I'm finally, truly free of that lumbering monstrosity< I find myself shunning the story set mostly on Phobos.

Another Mars Born story, I think, but not that one. There is always GHOSTS FROM THE VOID if I think I can't finish in time.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'm not ready to send mine out yet. Writer dan and I are in the same boat: Rewriting an earlier draft. However, my story is good enough to take the time with. It's much better than the previous version where it is, but there are a few places that need fleshed out (much fewer, though). Also, I haven't finished this draft yet. Hopefully, in the next couple of days I will. I'm still in the land of epiphanies.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I'm finished with my rewrite. Anyone not pushing for the deadlines themselves want to take a look at it...9000 words.
Owasm
Member # 8501

I'll read yours if you'll read mine
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I think I read yours...the blue demon slave story?
Owasm
Member # 8501

That was two stories ago. That one needed more than I wanted to give it at this time. I had a post-apocalyptic and it didn't quite have the punch it needed either.

The one I'm working on is an old steampunk number that I spruced up. Its about as long as yours but a quick read.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited December 12, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

I'm free to read.
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also way behind, still struggling on finishing my first draft, I've been back and forth between two stories that I just can't make work, but I still hope to complete one before the deadline for the quarter.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Waking from a dream, Donavan suddenly exasperated anxiously, "Owasm and Arriki, I sent out my WOTF Q01 rewrite to you tonight!"

But seriously, thanks for the look/read.

If anyone else that isn't working on their own deadline would like to give the 9000word rewrite a look let me know, even if you can only look at the first two pages.

Thank you, in advance,
Donavan

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, it looks as if I'm going to be able to get mine done by this weekend. Is anyone going to be available to give it a read-through? It'll probably end up about 10k. If not, that's fine. I'm WAY behind, and Christmas is upon us. I'll probably just send it out to the group, but if you don't have time for it, don't go to extraordinary efforts or anything. I've already had this story looked at the first time that I sent it to WotF more than a year ago.

DW, you can send yours over to me. I probably won't get to it until after my first draft is done, but I'll get to it and then get something back to you as soon as I can.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Dan, I think I'll be in about the same boat. I'm scrambling to finish, too. We can trade off.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

WD, Thanks- DW
Teraen
Member # 8612

I've got one critique in front of yours (arrikis), but I'll read yours next Dark Warrior... Send it off...
Kitti
Member # 7277

No guarantees, unfortunately, but if people send me stuff I promise to do my utmost to squeeze in a critique the next few days. Hey, if I've got time to check the threads on Hatrack, I should be able to make time for a story, right?
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Arriki...how is the crit coming? I was looking forward to yours since you are always especially thorough on my first 13's but the deadline is getting close and with christmas mail i am thinking I need to send it in pretty soon.
Owasm
Member # 8501

Thanks for all the crits. I had to go through three stories to find one I liked.

I've got it all ready to send out--which I will do after Christmas. I hate standing in lines.

(gasp!) I just grabbed my labels and found a WotF SASE in between my label sheets! Could I have sent my last story in without one? Could I be disqualified or worse... ignored? Woe is Owasm.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited December 22, 2009).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

The entry rules have been modified and say that if you provided an email address you will be notified of your results, but obviously you wont get it back.

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/rules.htm

quote:
If the author does not wish return of the manuscript, a #10 (business size) self-addressed, stamped envelope (or valid email address) must be included with the entry in order to receive judging results.

ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link. Up to 17,000 words, no excessive violence or sex, not published elsewhere. Those seem to be the only requirements.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Scaredy,

Don't forget the formatting requirements.

ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, thanks.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Owasm - I'm sure if you put an email address on your cover sheet they'll just email you.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Finally finished. I know it's short notice, but, anyone up for a quick read-through? Inconsistencies and typos are what I'm looking for.

LOL. Not even CLOSE to being early, neh?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 28, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

I'll try to limit myself to the simple stuff.
Kitti
Member # 7277

I should be able to squeeze in a quick read this evening.
Owasm
Member # 8501

So much for an early submission... mine went out in the mail today.

I did get an Amazon gift certificate which I used to buy a WotF anthology (#23 was $0.01 through a third party seller. You read that right: 1 shiny penny for a new copy... although S&H was $3.99) Now I will read some of those stories to find out what wins.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited December 28, 2009).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Mine shipped out Saturday. Looking forward to working the full Q02 on the next one. I have a few thousand words written on it already.

Now that the deadline is near and most have shipped theres out...

Good Luck to all. I hope Hatrack has another spectacular showing this quarter.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Mine will ship out tomorrow, by the skin of my teeth. LMAO @ early.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.