Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Meeting KDW, Joni, the judges and fellow winners in person would be a big bonus to winning the contest (especially if a couple of those winners were fellow Hatrackers).

In other news, I'm going to give the alt-WotF crit group a try this quarter, so I'm out over here. Good luck, everyone!

WriterDan
LDWriter
Osiris
Anarresti
mbwood
Owasm
Utahute72
Bent Tree
Brendan
Dark Warrior

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
So Jennifer is gonna go hang with the cool kids.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing against all you fine folks, who are much cooler than me. I like the idea of a group for short stories only, as opposed to novelettes and novellas, which I don't write.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a glutton for punishment and will be participating in both groups.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Since my story will most probably be under 8,000 words the thought to join both groups crossed my mind. Have to think on it more.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So it's almost the 14th. Anyone ready? I might be a day or two late. I had to add some stuff to get the emotional tension I wanted. And add a double meaning to the title.

Speaking of that are we splitting into groups or is the number small enough to send to everyone? Or are there even more people taking a bye this quarter or going to the revolting, um, that is rebellious group?

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 14, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm ready.

Is there a distribution list made up?

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also ready to go.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I could send what I have now.

I think Dan needs to divide the groups up, or we could just divide it as well. Since there are 10 people, the first 5 could send to each other and the second 5 could do the same, as done in previous groups.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 14, 2011).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

No comments yet I see. So I don't feel so bad about mine not being ready.

I have mine done but as I said before I'm going back over it adding some stuff for an emotional punch--I hope-- and revising as I go along. And I ended up changing a couple of details which means I am doing more revision than usual as I change conversations and descriptions. I plan to have it done Sunday night at the latest. I can receive stories before then

Could have been done by now but played around too much instead of writing, as I mentioned on another thread, and my wife has been putting new pics up for her site on an online mall... mostly me not writing.

Oh and so far mine is 5,600 words long. Might be over a few over 6,000 by the time I get done.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 15, 2011).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I'm a genius. Sorry, I had this on my to-do list and totally space-cased it. We're a bit lean this quarter, so only two groups, I think. Here we go. Groups for the first round of crits:

Group 1:
WriterDan
Anarresti
Utahute72
Dark Warrior
mbwood

Group 2:
LDWriter
Osiris
Owasm
Bent Tree
Brendan

So, even though my story for this quarter isn't done, my dissertation is nearly complete. Which is a good thing. As my final deadline is just around the corner.

Get swapping, people!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Two things here:

So I found another rule that WotF didn't mind being broken. Hiding something from the readers and/or not being clear who was who in the first couple of pages.

Don't want to go into too much detail but in one story you don't find out who the MC is for sure for a few paragraphs... unless I missed something of course. Second you don't find out the driver of an ambassador is a Lt. in the Marines for a few pages. She is just thought of as the driver by the MC. Over all not a bad story at all I liked it except for one little detail toward the end. Or there is something else hidden from the reader until the end too.

Second item: does anyone know what they think of stories in different times? Obviously they don't mind futuristic times but how about a western--SF fusion or fantasy-western? I came up with an idea today about a Urban Fantasy that takes place in the 1800s. I thought it might be a good WotF story because it's more about a guy teaching a kid why he shouldn't bully others. So it's more an emotional and relational story than a Fantasy.

Actually, I wanted a UF western but as I went over it in my mind it came out differently what I was going for. Still a good idea though.

It would be for Q2 2012.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey Writer Dan nearly congrats on that dissertation being almost done. Good going so far but don't stumble or freeze up.

As to the swapping thing

Do we have to trade car keys for it???

Sorry about that, couldn't resist.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

LD you might want to read "The Candy Store" in one of the anthologies (24 or 25 I believe). It was set in the turn of the (last) century old west. There is also one set at the time of the Civil war.

I think I recognize that first story you mention, but I didn't think the technique of waiting to reveal who a secondary character was seemed too out of place.

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited October 16, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I could be a bit over sensitive about hiding things from the reader since I have been accused of doing that a few times but at the same time that is how I felt. It wasn't just because of that one event though. Half of the situation seemed to change and it seemed like the tone of the story changed about that time.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine is sent.
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't want to go into too much detail but in one story you don't find out who the MC is for sure for a few paragraphs... unless I missed something of course. Second you don't find out the driver of an ambassador is a Lt. in the Marines for a few pages. She is just thought of as the driver by the MC.

If we're thinking of the same story, I read the italicized paragraph as I would a quote; it shouldn't bear the burden of identifying the MC, setting up the story, etc. I think the story could have survived without it personally, but it was one of the stronger stories (IMO) in the volume.

For me, witholding is about two things:

1. Am I correctly inhabiting the mindset of the POV character?
2. Am I playing fair with the reader's expectations?

In relation to point 1, I believe the story you're thinking of did both 1. and 2. In relation to point 1, we generally don't think of people as "doctor", etc. We're more likely to think of them by their name and this story does that. The military designation comes up in dialogue doesn't it?

In point 2, I don't believe any POV witholding is done with the intention of tricking or manipulating the reader for story effect. I can't remember the story exactly, but I generally remembered that the character thought of facts as they would naturally occur to them.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hello,

I got a piece from Utahute72, and I've distributed my submission to the group. If anyone didn't receive it or had trouble opening it, please let me know ASAP.

Other than that, I'm ready to crit pieces for the Wotf 2012 Q1 contest.

MBWood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I've received from Louis, BentTree and Owasm.

I've critiqued and returned Owasm's and Louis's. Please let me know if you did not get it, as I've had issues with sending mail.

I've sent mine out to everyone in my group.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 19, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Osiris, I had to double check but I haven't received any crits yet for my story.

But I did send one out tonight and I have received four stories. But I believe two are from the other group. Even though I still haven't sent my story to anyone over there.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 20, 2011).]

mbwood
Member # 9525

Hello,

I've sent out my piece and received one from Utahute72.

I'm still waiting for stories from WriterDan, Anarresti and Dark Warrior. C'mon, show me your stuff! Let's get something good going!

mbwood

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is funny.

I have a story I thought I might ask to share with you for Q1 2012, now that I've received initial feedback this week and finished the final proofread last evening.

But it is the same type of story I submitted in Q4 2011 (with the same protagonist) that just received a "form" rejection.

I believe I'll need to do a Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxNyoAMqRXQ

I believe to place or win, short unique (preferably futuristic) science fiction (not long urban fantasy) is a better bet. If I think of something, then actually write it, I'll be back.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Dr. Bob,

It might not be the genre or length that caused KDW to reject your Q4 story. It could have been a character she didn't like, or how you wrote the conclusion, or one small specific plot point that rubbed her the wrong way. (That last one was the deciding factor that caused one of my stories to be a semi-finalist instead of finalist.) The point is, you don't know. So if it's a choice between entering the story you have ready for critique or not entering at all, my advice is to send in your story.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that. Except for the sting of an impersonal rejection, which is the worst that could happen, sending a story in can't hurt. And who knows? This time it might click.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written one critique and am midway through the second. I'll turn over my own opus later today.

Why yes it is today already!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have received one crit so far. I will see what the next few crist say but I may not have stressed the emotional tension, I was trying for, enough.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the idea of sending out rejections as the quarter moves along, and this is the primary reason: Discouragement.

At the end of a quarter, you've already sent in your next story. You haven't started the next-next one, so when you get rejected, you can change your way of thinking if you'd like and go from there.

But 3 weeks into the next quarter and you probably have a solid foundation for your current story, possibly even a first draft. The last thing you want to do is wake up at 5am in the dark and cold and sit in front of the computer and write a story for the same folks who just told you no. (At least, not for a day or two.)

Dr. Bob. You can write. It's that simple. If your story didn't click, it was the story, or the genre, or something tangible like that, but it wasn't your writing.

Always remember, Dr. Phil received a rejection(s) after being a finalist. He's been entering nearly 10 years now. He's gotten everything you can get from them but a win. And I mean everything, including published finalist. So the rejection was clearly not his writing...

Urban fantasy is probably the kicker. I can only think of one story that even comes close, and it had something to do with the shadows of the dead from the holocaust. That was urban. And it was kind of a fantasy, but it wasn't urban fantasy.

If you decide not to send a 2nd one of that genre to them, that's fine, but please don't send nothing because you think your writing isn't good enough. It totally is, and there's a bunch of us here who can attest to that.

Did you see the post Jennifer put up recently about the guy who just pro'd out? He straight up sold a rejection to another market.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the form letter. Give it a little time then write an urban fantasy on another planet. That will increase your odds.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I actually do like the idea of hearing the rejections as they happen. If my story is rejected, I'd rather I have the chance to immediately send it to another market rather than wait three months while it collects dust.

As Axe pointed out, a rejection can sell to another market. So, the faster I can cycle a story through markets, the faster I can either sell it, or figure out that it needs more work before it can sell anywhere.

anarresti
Member # 9614

Yesterday I received my WOTF Q4 form rejection. Today I sent you all my Q1 first draft. I'm ready for the flesh wounds.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your comments.
Like most, I have plenty of experience with rejection, I was only noting how I dislike rejection without feedback.

When seeking publication, it is also important to study what an editor likes and publishes. I read two WOTF antholgies after I submitted my story for Q4 and have read and/or critiqued some of the fine stories that were Winners and/or Finalists for Q2 and Q3. The UF I've mostly been writing, I believe, is not WOTF material, even if the writing and story were (hopefully) adequate.

In addition, as the "Cool Kids" will tell you, short stories are preferred over longer lengths. A quick search at Duotrope will confirm only F&SF will consider fantasy stories of >10K, and most of these by established authors. The self-centered concept that I will write what I want, for my own enjoyment, is fine; but if I want to have others actually read my work, then I need more discipline and pay more attention to what the editors/publishers accept.

I put aside my second novel to write shorter pieces in the belief that publishing short stories would better open doors to publishing novels. These are two different beasts, however. Nick Tchan kindkly read my newest (12K) story this week; and he astutely notes my novelettes demonstrate a novelist's and not a short story writer's technique; for example, a slowly rising (even undulating) tension/pacing instead of the short storyist's steady incessant building to climax.
I'm big on foreplay, I guess.

My UF tales follow a detective fiction trope as well, where the story begins with something happening to someone else (a client, friend, victim) and not the protagonist. Only later, after taking the case, does the hero face personal risk/conflcit. This is fine for longer novels, not so good for short stories.

Thus, I'm going to try something completely different for my next WOTF submission. I do have a science background along with my religious one. I'll try mixing the two in a future setting.

As for my UF stories, I don't know what I'll do yet. If anyone would like to read the UF tale I've just completed, just let me know.

Thank you for the feedback.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

We've seen some really good stories getting rejected from these contests based on personal preference by the readers. I wonder if there isn't some mechanism where we could package them and put them out for sale using the electronic media. Even IGMS has some quirks in what they accept.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think every market has some quirks. Some are stated in the guidelines and some aren't.

And from what I understand some editors have their own quirks. Which is one reason we network.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay I've sent two crits for this group, but I have received only two stories again from this group. I think I have one other crit to do for the other group and I will be done with everything I have.

I will double check to make sure but that's the way it looks.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

So far I've read and returned stories from Annaresti and mbwood. If anyone else has sent me one let me know so I can look for it.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Guys, I'm going to have to pull out of this group, I've just got too much on my plate right now both in and out of writing. I'm still sticking with the other group because it is less of a load of work.

I did manage to critique work from LDWriter and Owasm and also received critiques from them.

Brendan, you critiqued my work, and I will certainly still critique your story when I receive it.

anarresti
Member # 9614

I have received crits from Utahute72 and MBWood. (many thanks!) I still owe a crit to MBWood. WriterDan and Dark Warrior ... looking forward to receiving your stories!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I have three crits to do. Going to try and get them done tonight. If there's time left afterward, I'm going to try and get to my story. Just need to get it out and worry about fixing it on the back end. I need to keep telling myself that. It'd sure make things a heck of a lot easier when I find myself with free time...
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to hop in on this crit group? I know I'm two weeks late, but I've got my story finished. If not, I could always wait until next time...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why not, but it's up to Writer Dan. We are approaching the second round of crits.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Fine with me, Teraen. Our next round comes up on Nov 7th. I'll add you to Group 1. Thus, as per our usual M.O., you'll be sending to those listed in Group 2 for this round of crits. I'll repost the list and instructions on the swap day.
Teraen
Member # 8612

Great. See you all then!

By the way, is it a gross violation of the rules if I am in the WOTF for cool folks group also??

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Two things. I need to know the writer of a 12,000 plus word story with a bit of magic and wondering around in it. I must have deleted the E-mail it came with. I did that last quarter for one story but this time I don't recall deleting any.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@Teraen: The only qualification that we have in this group is that if you submit a story for critiquing, then you do your job and submit full critiques for the stories that are sent to you in a given cycle. However, if you decide to participate in both groups you may want to remove your sweater and glasses on the way out the library door. I've heard those guys don't take too kindly to reminders of where they came from. Extra packs of cigarettes are stashed outside in the hedges. Check the large urn on your right.

[ November 04, 2011, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: WriterDan ]

Teraen
Member # 8612

WriterDan,

Wait, so is there a set number of people we swap with? Last time I did this I got stories from about a dozen people, but nobody really critiqued mine. On the flip side, I don't want to be overwhelmed with more crits than I can do.

Is it a quid pro quo, or do we swap with all members of the group?

Thanks

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterDan, don't forget I owe you like 2 crits from past quarters, so if you finish your story, you may send to me at will.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@Teraen: You'll be swapping with 5 people (from Group 2). So, you'll have 5 critiques to do (as long as everyone in Group 2 has a WIP), and you'll receive 5 critiques of your work (at least you better), for this round. That's the way we currently have it set up.

And Axe. I haven't forgotten you. [Smile] I've just forgotten my story. LOL. Thanks for the reminder.

Teraen
Member # 8612

Sounds fun. See y'all folks on the 7th...
anarresti
Member # 9614

I've only received work to read from MBWood and Utahute72 and have written both critiques. If anyone else has something for me to read, send it on.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Here's the groups for this round of swaps.

Group 1:
WriterDan
Anarresti
Utahute72
Dark Warrior
mbwood
Teraen

Group 2:
LDWriter
Osiris
Owasm
Bent Tree
Brendan

If you're listed as a member of Group 1, send your story to those listed in Group 2.

If you're listed as a member of Group 2, send your story to those listed in Group 1.

Teraen
Member # 8612

Group 1-ers - Osiris said a few posts back he was pulling out of this group.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.