Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jennifer;

generic responses seems to be the order of the day. I received this yesterday...

"Dear Writers of the Future Contestant,

Just a quick note to let you know that if you have not entered the contest recently, we encourage entering as often as you possibly can. I know life does get in the way sometimes, but we are still here and are still encouraging you to write. If you have entered since last year, this does not apply to you. If you have not, we are still here.

Looking forward to your next submission!

Best,

Joni Labaqui
Contest Director"

Hmm, maybe entries have dropped off? What d'you think?

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously not Jennifer but I have received E-mails like that before.

I too wonder if submissions have dropped off when I get them. But at the same time it is said they have a record number of entries. (Shoulder shrug)

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get one of those e-mails this time. I doubt it's a drop in submissions. It might be routine to send them out once in awhile to encourage writers to continue entering.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Well, Jennifer, another week, another Thursday and... nothing!

I wonder why it is taking so long. Could it be due to the award ceremonies in addition to the unfortunate passing of KDW?

In my case (since I submitted early), it is almost six months. With a little more than a month until the next submission deadline, that will mean the judges will soon be sitting on three sets of entries. Wow - holy backlog!

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Mbwood, you beat me to it this week. Nothing on my end, either. I am now one day away from my longest WotF wait ever in 14 quarters of entering. The last time I waited this long, I got a straight rejection on the same day the finalists were announced. Here's hoping for better this time.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Someone on the WotF forum said that he/she (don't know which by the handle) has talked with David Wolverton, who confirmed he will be the new coordinating judge and that there will be an official announcement next week. Maybe after that, they'll get with announcing the rest of the Q1 results. The thread is here.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Well, Jennifer, is the clock ticking down to next Thursday...? Is Thursday the 'day' when winners are announced?

Only thirty-three days to the Q3 deadline. Is this delay typical?

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
You can understand if they get two quarters behind. Losing KD Wentworth is a big blow to their judging.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Jennifer, tomorrow is Thursday. Is it the 'day?' Stay tuned for another nail-biter!
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

We can hope so. But if not, keep hammering away at Q3 or Q4 or whatever Q you're now working on. The results will come ... eventually.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Oh, dear, Jennifer, another Thursday has come and gone, and no news... Whatever is happening now? Will we ever know?

Yes, I'm working on Q3 & Q4, but what about the results of Q1? Yes, another Thursday... Oh, me! Oh, my!

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I think Dustin and Crystal are also still waiting, so that makes four of us. Anyone else? It doesn't help that someone reported a 66-day rejection to Duotrope this afternoon. Was the person confused or messing with our minds? Hmm.
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
It doesn't help that someone reported a 66-day rejection to Duotrope this afternoon. Was the person confused or messing with our minds? Hmm.

Could be they received the rejection a while ago and are just reporting it now.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right they indicated that KDW hadn't gotten to reading the snail mail submissions when she passed, so it's conceivable that some of those rejections could be coming out now.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hey, Jennifer, I just received this e-mail from Joni Labaqui:

"This is a note to let you know that your story has indeed been entered in the 2nd quarter of the 2012 Writers of the Future contest. Yes, we start a bit early around here, only because way back in 1984 when this contest started the very first quarter was in October. So we just rolled from there and here we are now into the 29th year!

I'll start sending out results starting and we'll have winners in June."

Does this mean we should hear something soon?

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. And this is for the second quarter.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Yeah, I got that e-mail this morning and had a small freak-out because I figured it had to be a Q1 straight rejection. At this point, I can almost see some of us receiving a response on Q2 before Q1.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I've lost track of what quarter we are even in.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Some of us are in one quarter, some in two quarters and a few in three quarters--depending if they have sent in the next story yet.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Well, Jennifer, another Thursday...

Is this THE day?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Please, please, please ...

170 days and counting.

mbwood
Member # 9525

I echo your sentiments. Since I entered early, I don't know the number of day, but it's a lot. I've got my fingers crossed.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Well, Jennifer, another Thursday. Did you hear anything?

I didn't and I've just uncrossed my fingers...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The day isn't over, but no. Nothing. At this point, I kind of hope the wait goes through the weekend so I can enter my Q3 story and have three stories to WotF at the same time.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hello, Jennifer, I didn't get anything today, either. I just sent in my Q3 story, and I'm already finishing up my planned Q4 piece.

This waiting is kind of nerve-wracking. Yes, I want to win, I want validation for the time and effort spent becoming a writer. I'm sure you feel the same.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!

Utahute72
Member # 9057

So Mb, do you even remember what story you sent in for Quarter one. Joni asked for the name of mine and I honestly couldn't remember which one it was.

Second question, has anyone received their HM certificates for Quarter one. There was a flurry of e-mails about them a month or so ago and then nothing.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not mb but I had problems remembering my story's title also but I don't recall Joni asking for the title, but maybe she did since I looked for it.

But she did say the HMs were going out soon. But nothing yet and I think it's a bit beyond soon. Even though that is subjective.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Having a Duotrope account is wonderful for remembering those sorts of pesky things like titles and submission dates ...
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hey, Utahute, for some strange reason I do remember the title of my Q1 entry (and my entries rest for this year - including Q4, which isn't due yet). However, I only have a vague idea as to the date of their entry.
I'm only hoping Joni will call and ask me for the name of my Q1 entry... How about you, Jennifer?

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Just wait until you get to be my age mb. It is so refreshing meeting new people each day.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Lemmesee, Utah, you're thirty-nine and holding (anything you can get your hands on) right? Right in my age bracket.

Golly-gee, I'm hoping and praying I get the call...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

WotF has finally put out the press release announcing Dave Wolverton as the new coordinating judge. They also released this one about "off world" being the top theme among recent entries. I hope these are signals that we're about to get the final responses for the quarter.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I giving anything away by saying my Q1 is totally

not

off-world?

[Frown]

Q2, however, is. Yay!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

That's a good thing that your Q1 story isn't part of the crowd, Dustin. Maybe by next quarter, the trend will be something else, like cybernetic puppies or space pirates. I have written no stories at all that take place in beyond known space, so I'm good.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Cybernetic space puppy pirate cyborgs of DOOM!

Q4, here I come.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

There are reports on the WotF forum of some Q1 responses going out today. Nothing on Duotrope yet.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hi, Jennifer, I haven't heard or received anything - have you? What kind of Q1 responses on the WotF forum (I don't know anything about that forum)? Are they rejections or notifications?
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Honorable mentions are being sent to folks in the "hold" pile. Three that I've heard of second-hand. Nothing for the paper subs so far.
Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's getting kind of intense with all the hearsay over on the Q1 thread. With no responses in the actual report thread, I'm curious if we have some pranksters, or if forum folk are just fairing better than others. [Wink]
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So far no News for you all.

Even I hope it doesn't hurt anyone feelings that I got my HM certificate today. As I looked at the title of my story I thought there could be as many as three or four people who would be surprised to see it on the HM certificate.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm glad the certificates are going out. Shiny!

Again, I'm passing on information from the WotF forum, this time from someone who talked with David Wolverton at a workshop. He didn't get to reading the entries left after KDW's death until this past week. He had planned to finish Q1 by yesterday.

The good news is that those of us still waiting should hear very soon. The bad news is we've all been obsessively looking for responses for weeks for no reason. Grr.

mbwood
Member # 9525

Oh, Jennifer, I do have a reason to obsess over the long-overdue response - I want to hear the good news, yes, I pine for it... I'm sure you understand.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
David Farland (aka Wolverton) announced on his facebook page that he has finished judging all the Q1 entries.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
Possible news circulating around the interwebs: Brinks Chaos Theory
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Yup, all 8 finalists have been called and reached. (not me)

Now we wait to see where the rest of us fall.

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
Yup, all 8 finalists have been called and reached. (not me)

Now we wait to see where the rest of us fall.

Axe

I hope we fall somewhere soon. Today would be good. Six months is long enough to wait.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

In a side note, I notice that mbwood has suddenly gone silent. Hmm ...
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hi, Jennifer;

I haven't heard a thing. My silence is due to the distraction of yard cleanup and other home owner duties. I have my fingers crossed and offering silent prayers at regular intervals.
I'm puzzled as to where Axe got his info on the finalists... And, whether it is true. If so, I shall contemplate a suitable end...
mbwood

axeminister
Member # 8991

Joni told people they don't have to keep quiet this quarter, so the announcements are appearing on blogs.

http://brinkschaostheory.blogspot.com/2012/06/finally-non-rejection.html

http://hollyheisey.com/?p=438

This is from someone with mad connections:
"Anonymous source said Joni told them they were the last two to be notified, and so they were free to tell people."

Axe

axeminister
Member # 8991

Well...

FIRST QUARTER FINALISTS

Jeremy Brink from Texas
Holly Heisey from Arizona
Marina J. Lostetter from Arkansas
Sean Monaghan from Manawatu, New Zealand
Tina Smith from California
Martin Shoemaker from Michigan
Stephen Sottong from California
Chris Stamp of Perthshire, United Kingdom

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.