Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Usually someone mentions by now that we need to concentrate on writing not waiting. [Smile] but just so no one will get the wrong idea.

I am working on writing while waiting even though my heart is in my throat when I check that E-mail address.

I am revising two stories, actually just finished one, and writing what might be Q3's offering but it needs some struggle, I may go with that fantasy I referenced. Plus some work on a novel or two.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've been doing more than refreshing the duotrope feed. I've finished the redraft of my Q2 story and I'm going back over it one last time before sending it to my readers. One week from tomorrow is the deadline. I usually don't cut it this close.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Slacker...

Oh wait, I'm in the same situation.

Make sure I'm one of those readers. [Smile]

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you are, Axe. [Smile] I wrote the whole story, decided it wasn't good enough and started over almost from scratch three weeks ago. If it sucks now, there's no time to do anything about it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was going to say Oops, Jennifer reminded me I need to finish my final revision. I have only gone over one of the four or five crits I received but when I went back to work on it I found the opposite. There's only one crit left to go over.

I can do that tonight. That would still leave me with the need to go over to find nitpicks especially with the new stuff I referenced in an earlier post.

Louis

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

It's Wednesday, which means it's (possibly) time to start biting nails. Previous rounds of responses have hit e-mail boxes on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

And now, back to my Q2 revisions ...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I didn't think it would be quite that soon. Here come the rejections on Duotrope.
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jennifer;

can you provide the link to that part of Duotrope that lists the rejections (of WotF entrants)?

Thanks!
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

From the Duotrope main page, search for Writers of the Future Contest. From the WotF page, scroll down to where it says [View report of recent responses from this market]. It's under the "Other information" header. Click on it.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
^ You have to be logged into Duotrope to see the response information instead of the "More Information is Available to Registered Users" header.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Quite right. Thanks, aspirit.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, looks like I got the wrong WotF thread last time. Too much of a hurry.

But looks I-- that is we-- have one more day to check this week. Or does it just start on Wednesday or Thursdays?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

We might be done with responses for this week, but who knows? It was a small group who heard this afternoon, if Duotrope is any indication. And still no HMs.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
%&€$#@ Writers of the Future and their junk emails. Gives me a heart attack every time I see their name as the sender. Don't they know I'm awaiting more important news?
Like I care whose going to be at the ceremony. So what if the next big thing "Nick Tchan" is going to grace the place with his presence. Whoopee. Like he would even look my way anyway if I was there.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper,

Of course I wouldn't look your way if you were there. You and Axeminister would be expected to carry me on a palanquin while Jennifer scattered rose petals (and sneezed). It's very hard to look down from such a lofty position.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Achoo!

Snapper, I'm with you on the invitations. I've received four or five now. I had a mini-heart attack this afternoon when the latest one showed up.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the number of invitations you recieve is an indicator of your standing in Q2. I got one today, as well. Does that mean a minimum of an HM????
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe the number of invitations you recieve is an indicator of your standing in Q2. I got one today, as well. Does that mean a minimum of an HM????
I keep receiving invites and it's not like they really need to persuade me to attend (though it is tempting to send a stand-in a la Brando).
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've been getting them too. The latest was bragging about who was going to be there... singing and/or dancing?

They don't shock me for two reasons. Usually the headers is different and I get those on another E-mail address.

But today I was hit by one from Joni. I went online and there was a note from Joni...Oh no there's the rejection looks like not even a HM so I peeked.

All it said was something about entering.

I had just sent my Q2 story before signing on.

aspirit
Member # 7974

The invites seem unrelated to our contest entries. Joni has two e-mails for me: one I use for submissions and one for Galaxy Press surveys. It's only my secondary e-mail address, not the one for the contest, that has been receiving invites.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspirit:
The invites seem unrelated to our contest entries. Joni has two e-mails for me: one I use for submissions and one for Galaxy Press surveys. It's only my secondary e-mail address, not the one for the contest, that has been receiving invites.

I submitted my first story to WoTF via a personal e-mail address. Then I created an 'author' email address, and have submitted with that one since. I get all e-mails except submission results to both e-mail addresses.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Seems like I used to get the invites to both addresses but lately they have been just going to the non writing address. That goes for the polls they take for the covers.

Last time I would have had to go to their Facebook page to vote.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of invites now I'm getting repeats from Joann Hill.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

We're back around to that time of the week in which rejections bomb the e-mail boxes of unsuspecting entrants, but we might see a break now until after the workshop and gala. What do you think?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If I recall correctly and I may not since my memory isn't what it used to be-- actually it never was what it used to be-- it wasn't 'till the week of the event when the started to skip weeks- then it was at least two weeks... I think.

Also it seems like Joni or someone may have put a warning-disclamer on their blog or newsgroup. I recall someone saying something about them taking a break from the rejections anyway.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

On another forum, someone posted an e-mail from Joni that said more responses will go out tonight. Be checking your e-mail.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

That was anticlimactic. Duotrope reports two rejections received this evening. And the wait goes on ...
snapper
Member # 7299

Did everyone survive the killing blow of another rejection Wednesday? I did but the stroke of a WotF junk email almost did me in. I think Joni is messing with me. Good one Joni. Good one.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Missed me!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Missed me, too.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Me too.

But if I recall correctly again, last year they sent me a rejection right after the ceremony thing. So we may be skipping this next week, if it goes as usual.-- which means we will get a bunch the next week.

Owasm
Member # 8501

The following email from Writers of the Future caused rise in hearbeat for a second until the title was seen:

The Writer Winners Have Arrived In Hollywood!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Me too. But I thought hey wait a minute how could the winners be there so soon. [Smile]

A second later I realized which winners it meant.

snapper
Member # 7299

Okay, now that the big hoop-la is over (Congrats to Nick T Chan), it's time for everyone to brace themselves for the opening of the floodgates. Grab onto to something if you don't want to be swept downstream with despair on the River of Rejection. Choose something solid. I am holding onto to my dignity. Oh wait. WotF shattered that long ago. Ah! Here we are! Got a grip on a misguided belief in my own talent. It even has hand holds for me to grip onto.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
I am holding onto to my dignity. Oh wait. WotF shattered that long ago.
Hatrack did that???

I would have sworn it was a certain someone...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

On top of today's bad news, more rejections are going out. I figured we wouldn't see anymore responses until next week, considering.
aspirit
Member # 7974

LD, I think he meant that the contest shattered his dignity.

I received my results today. Rejection.

aspirit
Member # 7974

Wow. Jennifer, I didn't see your post immediately.

http://www.sfsite.com/news/2012/04/19/obituary-k-d-wentworth/

This must be the news you're talking about. I could accept a rejection after a brief moment of self-pity, but this...isn't as easy.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the news after I got my rejection this morning. I don't know much about KDW except what we were all trying to learn to appeal to her tastes. It's always sad when we lose someone in the community.

By the way, I wasn't surprised by the rejection. It wasn't a very WotF story.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll commiserate. I wasn't surprised. My story also had a number of strikes against it for WOTF, though I don't consider it a bad tale. Still...a form rejection is still disappointing.

Paradoxically, I believe my writing is improving yet I've gone from personal rejections (during my first year return to writing) to form rejections. Not very encouraging.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

What a shock about the WofF KDW. I wonder if the new first reader will shake up what gets passed and what gets rejected.

No rejection for me... yet.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspirit:
Wow. Jennifer, I didn't see your post immediately.

http://www.sfsite.com/news/2012/04/19/obituary-k-d-wentworth/

This must be the news you're talking about. I could accept a rejection after a brief moment of self-pity, but this...isn't as easy.

What a shock of bad news. [Frown]
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Sorry that so many received rejections today. If Duotrope and the various forums are any guide, it seems today was the biggest flood of rejections for Q1 so far. I haven't heard anything yet. Who else is still standing?
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything yet.

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it was sudden or if she was absent from the conference over the weekend. I'm impressed she was as active as she was up to the end.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

KDW usually teaches the workshop but did not do so this year. She also hadn't posted anything to her WotF-related message board since January, which is an unusually long silence. Based on those two bits of information, I am speculating that she had been in decline for a while.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So I would assume that means she didn't read the stories this year. Which means someone else has already taken over.

No rejection yet but it sounds like it they might be sending them out for a while not just two days.

[ April 19, 2012, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Did she sign the Q4 HMs?
I think she did critique the semis, but they were slow in returning.

My guess is someone took over from the first story of Q1 so he/she could sign the next wave of HM's, and have autonomy over the finalists, etc.
But what do I know.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, her signature is on my Q4 HM.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
The WOTF website tribute says KDW was reading contest stories up until she went into the hospital a few days ago.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.