Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grayson Morris:
The WOTF website tribute says KDW was reading contest stories up until she went into the hospital a few days ago.

That is truly impressive. I figured that some other judge must have been quietly doing the reading for her. I wonder who will finish the quarter and take over for KDW on a permanent basis.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is truly impressive.
Agreed.
Sounds like this caught them by surprise. [Frown]

I'm sure she had some finalist possibles, and lots of HM's separated.

Now someone else has to come in and divide them all up. (i.e. re-read them.)

Gonna be a while for this Q, but we have 4 chances a year, so it'll balance out in the end.

Still, that's awesome she was still doing what she loved. (Going by her "I have the best job in the world." snippet in a past antho.)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone else now needs to come in and repeat much of the work KDW had already done (rereading to decide placement), this might turn into the longest wait for results in recent years. Which means there's only one thing to do: Go finish writing my Q3 story.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
We might all end up with three in the que, Jennifer.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about that axe and Jennifer. Unless she had a bunch ahead of course. But if she had the HMs and finalists all picked out, they could use that and just decide on the semis and winners. If she only had half picked out they might need to reread them all. Or just the ones she didn't read.

She must have been in the hospital before the ceremony thing so that last week and any they sent now could have been done already or the new person was at it already.

In either case it seems like they should be sending something out soon. Especially if they will be a significant delay.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Had another thought today.

They might take a day or three off for mourning and turmoil if her death was as sudden as it seemed. But didn't someone say they had sent out some rejections around Wednesday?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you ready for another wave of rejections? Do you have a hold of your metaphorical anchor? History, Genevive, and aspirit didn't follow my advice, will you make that same mistake? I'm still holding tight to my Misguided Belief in my Own Talent. You might want to find something solid to grasp onto as well.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I will cling to my stubborn determination and hope to God that Joni waits until tomorrow. I've had as much bad news as I can handle for one day.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey JH. That Stubborn Determination of yours looks pretty solid. Wouldn't be surprised if we're the only two not to be swept downstream.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Hopefully it isn't anything worse than an (unrelated to WotF) rejection.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

My Stubborn Determination did not give me the strength to paddle ashore to Boot Camp, but I have faith it will protect me from being swept downstream by WotF.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So they are sending rejections out again for sure?

JH I think you are using the SD for something else. Sounds like it to keep trying even as you try to paddle ashore.

But Your story probably has one of the better chances of those of us who remain.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
An HM for me.

At least it's not a rejection. The story did have a unique voice, but not, I suspect, a unique enough plot.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

They must be on the HM round because I was just notified I got an HM also. It was interesting in the message, Joni indicated that KDW had selected the HMs for the first quarter, so that answers at least one question we had.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I got my HM as well, and received the note that Ms Wentworth did indeed selected for the honor, which brings me to this...

I had higher hopes for my story, so considering KD's untimely passing, I will likely send it again.

Now that a new cordinating judge will soon be selected, any story that i sent in that I still believe in now has a second life for the contest.

Honorable Mention...it appears my Misguided Belief in my Own Talent was just a floatation device.

[ April 26, 2012, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: snapper ]

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I was thinking the same thing Snapper, that given there will be a new reviewer I might look at resending a story or two, maybe after a few tweaks, to see if I can get a better result with a different reader.

I don't know if that sounds a little self-serving or not, but it was a thought.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Congrats to the HMs!

I'm still waiting with my Stubborn Determination, but I submitted by snail mail. It's possible I'll be getting my response the same way.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapps,
For what it's worth, I'd be happy to look at the story for you. Maybe offer one or two pieces of advice? Never know.

Unless you intend to send as is.
Let me know by e-mail.

And yes, grats to the HM folks!

I submitted by paper on the last day, so there's a possibility mine hasn't even been read yet. Which bums me out because that means Kathy won't have read it. I suspect I'll never know the answer to that question, so I'll go with her having read it. (But if I get a rejection, I'm totally blaming the new guy/gal.) =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm also wondering if there aren't boxes of paper submissions sitting in Oklahoma that now need to be shipped to wherever.

The paper folks could be in for a long wait.

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Someone on the WotF forum said KDW had judged some of the paper subs, but not all. So someone else will be finishing them.
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else get an e-mail from Joni this afternoon (4/26, 5:04 p.m. EST), which ended up with the following line:

"Your story was placed in the hold category while K.D. was reading the hard copy submissions. You will be notified in the next month where you stand."

Does anyone have a clear idea what this implies?

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I received a familiar E-mail from Joni among other things after mentioning That K.D. died she said
"She judged your story and gave you this honor of Honorable Mention. "

Wow, not as good as a finalist but still can't help but feel honored.

I believe I will keep the E-mail.

Oh and I must say that I really was surprised that story made it that far and that my next story is better--better writing but we shall see about the story.
Which reminds me I need to revise it.

And I doubt I will send in this story again even with more crits, as I said I really was surprised it made it this far but two things. One: I would like another crit or two before I send it elsewhere. Two: I will be resending one or two others. Like my first HM and possibly the one I got a while back.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
Originally posted by mbwood:
Did anyone else get an e-mail from Joni this afternoon (4/26, 5:04 p.m. EST), which ended up with the following line:

"Your story was placed in the hold category while K.D. was reading the hard copy submissions. You will be notified in the next month where you stand."

Does anyone have a clear idea what this implies?

If you're in the "hold" category, your story was likely deemed a candidate for finalist or semifinalist. So ... congrats! I hope you get The Call.
mbwood
Member # 9525

Jennifer;

Thank you for the interpretation and divining of the message. However, please, hold the 'congrats,' for the e-mail could have another, less positive interpretation.

However, I hope and pray you're right - thanks!

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

No, I think Jennifer is correct. I have no idea what is going to happen but I'm pretty sure your story will at least get a 2nd reading. You think you can impress two separate readers, MB?

Good luck...

axeminister
Member # 8991

Agreed with da Snapps.
Kathy said she'd pull possible finalists all quarter. At the end, she'd review and break down the 8 - the 10 - and the SHM.

The new person has to finish the paper subs and add his/her own to the pile KD already put aside.

From there, the new guy/gal has to do the 8 - 10 split.

If you're being held, you're extremely likely to be in the 8 - 10 - SHM category. The only reason I can think of you would get bumped down to regular HM is that there were too many in this hold pile to begin with.

Speculating: perhaps KD had a pile of 30 - 40. We don't know her whittling down process. However, I tend to believe she was conservative with the pulls during the month.

I believe the finalists are still 2-3 weeks away from hearing. I say this from no factual basis. Just a gut feeling.

Axe

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well, Mb, I understand why you are down-playing the information, but congratulations anyway because I would take it as indication that your placement is higher than any of us who received an HM note.

However, I am also assuming that my HM was placed higher than Snapper's. I have no basis in fact for this assumption, but it does make me feel better.

snapper
Member # 7299

I think you are correct Ute because I am sure there is a conspiracy afoot. I understand there is a Australian/Utah connection that has been keeping me off the stage of success. It has something to do with failed bribery attempts and assault and battery charges with bicycle pedals and red carpets.

The Honorable Mention was to throw me off their trail, but I'm onto their game. They don't know that I know that they know that I know what is going on. Yep, I know the truth. Good thing I quit taking those pills or I would have never figured it out.

mbwood
Member # 9525

Snap, Axe & Ute and Jennifer;

I dunno whether I can impress one or even two readers. Y'see, I can't figure out what KDW & the judges wanted. Yeah, I've been writing for a long time (even got paid for it), but this contest is a different breed of cat - a very special breed. Do I have the chops for it? I dunno.

I've finished nine novels and have one up on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, but that isn't proof of writing capability (endurance or persistence, maybe). Oh, yes, I did get an HM on my first entry... Must've been a fluke.

I figure you guys have been around this WotF contest longer than me and know more about reading its tea leaves too. I haven't got a clue.

So, I've got fingers crossed & prayers said. I really hope that you're right.

Anyway, thank you for all your kind words.
mbwood

p.s. No one said they got a similar e-mail. C'mon, surely someone else got an e-mail from Joni.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, their interpretation sounds better than mine.

I thought it meant that she didn't finish with the readings so someone was going to have to take over. But if KDW placed it in the hold category than it at least has a chance of going beyond HM.

Sounds like we didn't get your E-mail. But is there anyone else left who hasn't heard?

axeminister
Member # 8991

MB,
I know of several others who've gotten that e-mail. Izanobu, who stops by periodically, has one.

Nerve wracking, ain't it? [Smile]

LD,
Anyone who submitted by paper in the last days of the quarter haven't heard. According to Joni, Kathy was tackling the paper subs just before she went into the hospital.

So there's a full spectrum of placements yet to come.

Axe

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all who've received HM's or are still waiting.

Snapper, I'm not sure what you mean by: "History, Genevive, and aspirit didn't follow my advice, will you make that same mistake?"

I don't think my story was terrible. I think it would survive your heat vision, adamantine claws, and venomous breath (I'll send it along with a few virtual Tic-Tacs, if you wish). I prefer to believe (possibly in my happy self-delusuion) that it was simply--yet, again--not the type of story that WOTF is looking for.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Sorry Doc. Some jokes work. I was referring to grabbing a hold of your rock solid metaphorical solid ground.

Jennifer Hicks has (Stubborn Determination), while I believe Axeminster has decided to stake his claim on his Over Confidence (or was that Fleeting Confidence, Axe? So hard for me to tell the difference).

axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm not over confident, I'm just a loud mouth braggart who hasn't done a thing.

But pit me against an army of the dead and I'll show you a trick or two.

Axe

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper, I'll admit I wasn't holding to much. All I had was bit of Delusional Optimism that three uses of profanity and an overly fast plot would somehow not bring my story a rejection. Alas.

Congratulations to Owasm, Utahute72, and snapper for your HMs! Also, congrats to those who've been put in the second-read pile. I expect another Hatracker to win Q1, so make good.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I realized I haven't congratulated snapper, Owasm, Utahute72.

Not as good as a win but you all did something right.

You probably know all this but I got a little carried away:
mb, as fas as I know No One can read the Tea leaves at any market that has an editor. Sometimes we can theorize what a certain editor or group wants. snapper and a couple of others...me included...have tried to use mind power to get the right answer. But my first HM-even though far from my first entry- must have been a fluke too for I didn't know enough to even guess what they wanted back then.

Theories can blow up in out faces though. The best story we can do following one might not even get a second glance much less read. But a story that is totally backwards according to the theories gets snatched up faster then you can say "You're not suppose to buy that one".

BTW, I hope they are right too. [Smile] We need a win and so do you.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats on the HMs, everyone! I got a reject this quarter, which wasn't surprising. I sent an older story that hadn't yet been to WOTF since I was busy with a novel.

I have higher hopes the next few quarters though with a completely new batch of stories ready to go. We'll see if I can get higher than a SHM now. And I sure hope that if I'm lucky enough to win, I get to see some of you there, too. [Smile]

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

It would be neat to see others there.

I think there has only been one from here there at a time be super neat to have three to five of us there at one night.

And if we could get a couple of hat rackers in the audience We could have a mini-hatrack convention after or before the ceremony or some such.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, I missed you. Congrats on your HM!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to the HM winners!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all. It's been a while.

I think that a new reader gives us opportunities to re-submit stories that we believed in, but were previously rejected. I'm doing it for the third quarter. We'll see how it goes.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

LD I'm beginning to realize that once you get a story polished you need to send it through the gamut of submissions because there are so many different readers out there.

As you become more experienced with each publication you will find it easier to recognize what they are looking for, witness Brad Torgeson. He's now selling regularly to a variety of markets as he understands better what they are looking for.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got a note saying that the HM certificates are about to go out even though one space won't be signed.

Utahute72 just read your post I say yeah, but I've noticed that at the same time it helps to have a couple of sells in your credits.

And WotF is a top credit.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

*sigh* I just want to know whether someone read my story. Reject, HM, whatever. At this point, any response is good.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
*sigh* I just want to know whether someone read my story. Reject, HM, whatever. At this point, any response is good.

That you haven't heard is a good sign at least. [Smile]

I'm rooting for you Jennifer!

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks, Tom. [Smile] But as far as I've heard, no one who submitted by paper has received a response of any kind. Dustin and Crystal are in the same situation that I am, and a few more people on the WotF forum. It's not that our stories are being held for finalist consideration but that they quite possibly haven't been judged yet. Which means the silence means exactly ... nothing.
snapper
Member # 7299

Save a tree. Save your sanity. Submit electronically!
axeminister
Member # 8991

Yup. Paper.

I could be all excited because I haven't heard, and still be due a rejection slip in the mail.

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Save a tree. Save your sanity. Submit electronically!

Last time I submitted electronically to WotF, I got a straight rejection in 41 days. Rejections don't usually faze me, but this one absolutely killed me -- not just the rejection itself (because I thought it was a darn good story) but also because it happened so fast. It took a month for me to start enjoying writing again. In Q1, I decided to do paper sub so I wouldn't be rejected in the first batch again. Now I've been waiting 145 days. I should be more careful what I wish for.
mbwood
Member # 9525

'Lo, Jennifer;

I had a similar experience last time - submitted early (electronically), rejected early. And I thought it was a bang-up space opera story in which I had a lot of effort. Whadyano!

Q1 - again submitted early (again electronically) - nothing, nada, not a blink. Yeah, I know some have said being on hold is a good thing, but the waiting, and waiting... not knowing... yech! And Axe could be right.

Yes, KDW's passing is a sad event. I guess we should suck it up, bear with it and not complain, right?

mbwood

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Another Thursday comes and goes and ... still waiting. I queried Joni a few days ago to ask whether my story had been received because I never even got confirmation that I was entered. She sent back a generic "we'll have results soon" response. She also said 99% of rejections had been sent out and to "hang in there."
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.