Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, come to think of it, since Osiris pulled out there is enough for 5 in each group. We should pull someone from group 1 and stick them in group 2.

Dan is in charge of this, right?

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had trouble with my email. Did everyone receive my draft?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@Teraen: Must have missed that Osiris was bailing. Easiest setup is for you to just slide into that spot. So, revamp the groups one more time...

Group 1:
WriterDan
Anarresti
Utahute72
Dark Warrior
mbwood

Group 2:
LDWriter
Teraen
Owasm
Bent Tree
Brendan

Sorry I missed that. Formatting my dissertation for the umpteenth time has got me seeing everything cross-eyed.

@BentTree: I got your story.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Ohhhhkay... Only thing is I already sent my story to everyone in group two. Should I stick with that, or send it to everyone in group one and have group 2 ignore mine?
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I have received two stories and hopefully mine will go out later tonight but then again I still need to run it through a spell checker once more and check for a couple of words I keep getting wrong.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I got yours Bent Tree. Also Teraen go ahead and send yours to me, I'm a little behind schedule as usual so it will be a bit before I get to it. Mine should be out at the end of the week.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@Teraen: Just stick with it.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

My computer was down for a couple of days, and I may have lost incoming messages.

So far, I have received and sent a crit to Bent Tree. LDwriter2 sent an acknowledgement of receiving my submission.

Other than that... Nothing!

If you sent me a submission, please re-sent. Thanks!

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent my story to Group One tonight.

But I have received only two as of yet.

[ November 11, 2011, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

- posted      Profile for anarresti   Email anarresti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll review anything I receive, My second round will go out next week.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Dan-

Yup, I thought you'd say that. For the receiving critiques, and the benefit of those who have me in their sights though - is group one supposed to send to me or group two?

Thanks.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

You're listed as being in Group 2. So, Group 1 will be sending to you.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

So far I remember seeing and critiquing stories from Bent Tree, LD Writer and OSWAM. I'm getting back into the swing of things after a hectic couple of weeks. So if anyone has sent me a story and I haven't sent you something back poke me.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Received my second crit but no more stories.

I think I had two so far which means three are AWOL so far.

No work on redoing my story yet though. I'll have that to do the first week of Dec.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I can start on the final revision of my story even though come to think of it I never received two stories to crit.

Got less than thirty days now to marathon the revision. [Smile] Actually, it shouldn't take me that long. Maybe this weekend depending how much I help my wife decorate for Christmas, if I could take a decent picture of the lighted house I would put a couple on my blog.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I have revised my theory about what type of stories they like. While a lot on 26 or is it 27, have a certain type of MC, which type I have discussed on another thread or two, they can go for an old fashion type of MC also. I just read a story that seems very close to a lot of the older stories I've read. The type one or two people here said they didn't like. But that's oaky, It's not at all unusual for editors to buy stories different from their usual styles because they liked something in the story and/or writing.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

LD, care to put that in English for us mere mortals.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a pattern as well when I read the anthology, LD. It appears, all the winning entries were written better than the ones I turned in.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Is everyone in who is going to be in?
Only a few days left.

My goal is to read mine aloud tonight, fix w/e comes up, and mail by post tomorrow.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I changed my mind. I think they take a larger variety of Main Characters then they first seemed to want.

And snapper I don't have that view on everyone of my stories. Of course that might be one of my problems. [Smile]

And I hope to send off mine tomorrow.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I'm sure I'll be working on mine right up until closing time again. I'd like to get ahead of the power curve on one of these things just once.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay just submitted my story.

Thanks to Owasm, MBwood, and Jim. You all had some good points.

And that is the second group, thanks to all who critted it during the first round.
I took many of their suggestions and did a few changes on my own. Don't know if those are really better now or not, but I think they are.

Whatever happens it is a better story now.

One or two thought it didn't show anything new. That's probably true but after reading #27 that may not be that big a problem. Whatever the case as I said it is better now.

And I got the confirmation E-mail. But as I left the house with three snail mail stories, I thought I should have sent in the WotF story that way. not only are there less chance of something going wrong but I miss those bookmarks they send out with the rejections. I keep losing them after I use one. Must be still in the books, hiding somewhere.

[ December 28, 2011, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

anarresti
Member # 9614

I've been reworking mine based on the two rounds of reviews. Anticipate submitting Friday. Definitely it is a better story now thanks to the thoughtful reviewer comments.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
In! My submission is in! What a struggle. To get this written and then for the time to finish. I actually had a few notable writing projects ahead of this.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good, looks like we will have a good bunch. Maybe a winner or three. [Smile]

But we will have to wait a few days to see all who sent theirs in.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been forgetting.

Got a second E-mail confirmation. I am definitely entered in Q1. And Joni gave a slight history lesson on why they start with the new year before Jan.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well, I think I'm entered. I got an entered message from the site, but haven't seen an e-mail.
anarresti
Member # 9614

I'm in for 2012 Q1. It's a much improved story because of my wise readers but ... ugh. Glad that's done. Got an e-mail confirmation pretty quickly.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do this group this time, but I sent something I had anyway. Submitted 7:30pm PST.

Luck to us all!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Tomorrow we should make a list of all who is in Q1

And the second E-mail showed up a day or two after I sent the story. I received a very short confirmation a couple of seconds after I sent the story.

Happy New Year but that's on another thread. [Smile]

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I did finally get the "You're Entered" Quick e-mail.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, I'll start it. If you're entered in Q1 add your name to the list.

Utahute72

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll start it. If you're entered in Q1 add your name to the list.

Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarresti
Member # 9614

Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2
Axeminister

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2
Axeminister
genevive42

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2
Axeminister
genevive42
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2
Axeminister
genevive42
mbwood
wirelesslibrarian

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Read the first report of a rejection email for this quarter. Everybody better find their kleenex - or their party hats [Razz]
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliverBuckram
Member # 9655

- posted      Profile for OliverBuckram   Email OliverBuckram         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper - over at the "Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03" thread JenniferHicks has probably correctly identified this duotrope report as a false alarm.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know how a Q1 discussion ended up on the Q3 thread.

I do wish KDW would respond to Snapper's post on her message board and tell us what's going on with the quarter. (I guess she wasn't blown away by the generous offer of a signed anthology.)

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I thought that one rejection was kinda quick but sometimes it does seem to go faster than other quarters.

But now my stomach will be doing flops almost every time I check out the E-mail address I use for writing. .

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I may have missed something on another forum here but did anyone else get the E-mail talking to those who haven't sent in stories for a while?

Joni offered them help.

Since we are sending in stories we don't need help???

Of course they may not be sending in stories because they are discouraged so may need a little extra help along those lines.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Louis,

I believe Joni offered them encouragement, not help.
Although possibly technical help, like click here for our guidelines and click here on how to submit, but I don't think she meant help with a story. (If that's what you're asking.)

Axe

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all! When should we expect results? In March, right?

Utahute72
Jennifer Hicks
Owasm
Anarresti
LDWriter2
Axeminister
genevive42
mbwood
wirelesslibrarian
aspirit

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

According to duotrope, rejections have started to trickle in.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
I may have missed something on another forum here but did anyone else get the E-mail talking to those who haven't sent in stories for a while?

Joni offered them help.

Since we are sending in stories we don't need help???

Of course they may not be sending in stories because they are discouraged so may need a little extra help along those lines.

Louis, I got that email. It wasn't offering help exactly, just stuff like links to proper formatting, links to message boards, etc. It was to people who hadn't submitted in a couple quarters. It was mostly just encouragement.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Someone is sending rejections out. According to duotrope, a rejection for story sent in mid-october was reported today.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.