Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01 (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q01
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a Tina Smith here? Seems like I should know that name but form here or the WotF forum or someone I knew a while back I can't recall.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
That's Gower21 from the WotF forum.

Three straight rejects then BAM - Finalist.

She's a great example of what's possible, and not giving up.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer? Did you hear anything?

Me? Nothing, nada, not a thing. After all of this waiting... I have no idea if it's total rejection or whatever. How about you?

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This being left in the void has happened to me a lot MB. I sit on my hands while rejections, HM's, and Semi' and Finalists get passed out. I usually get my answer a week after everyone else. Just keep an eye on your mailbox.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point it doesn't matter what the response is. With the finalists named, all that's left are various levels of rejection. The only thing I care about at this point is whether my story got entered -- because I never received confirmation of that.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
Louis,
That's Gower21 from the WotF forum.

Three straight rejects then BAM - Finalist.

She's a great example of what's possible, and not giving up.

Axe

And then, on the other end of the spectrum, there's me and others in the same boat: 15 quarters entered with a pile of HMs but not a whiff of finalist. I'm the poster child for being good but not good enough. (Can you tell I'm in a depressed mood this morning?)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Farland will, in his next Daily Kick discuss what it takes to go above and beyond the HM level. Stay tuned!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I appreciate the help that Dave Wolverton offers to writers, new and experienced, through his Daily Kick and his workshops. However, a lot of his teachings seem to be based on the idea that you can analyze the stories/books that have done well, make a checklist of common traits and write your story based off those traits. There are writers out there who can write well based off a checklist, but I'm not one of them.

Besides, I doubt there will be anything on DW's newest checklist today that I don't already know, in theory -- just as everything on his "10 reasons I reject" list was basic common sense. As I'm sure everyone here is aware, there's a big difference between saying "do this and don't do this" and doing it.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been lurking on this discussion for some time hoping for news on Q1 or a link to what's happening to those entered. But now I'm beginning to wonder if I might be in Q2 instead of Q1. I sent my entry in around the tail end of December. Could it be possible it wasn't received until some time in January? Wouldn't that put it in Q2 instead of Q1?

I'm not sure since I sent it hard copy, but I think I either left my phone # or my email address off the title page. Would this disqualify me from the contest? It's just that, like some of you, I haven't heard a thing and would like to know what's going on. Yeah, I'm well aware I'm not the only one. LOL

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Joni goes by the postal stamp, not the day she receives the envelope.
Tina Smith is proof of this!
She submitted like 11:50pm to an all night postal service on December 31st. (Actually, her husband dashed out the door with the envelope.)
So, you should be in Q1.

However, I understand your doubts. I subbed on the 30th and my trace of the package showed it arrived on Jan 3.

So. We keep waiting.

I'm thinking...... Thursday.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

If you included a way to contact you on your cover sheet, you're good. On mine, the phone number I had back in December has now been disconnected, but that's not going to matter when it comes to judging. As for Q1 or Q2, it's not when your story arrives at the WotF offices but when you sent it. One of the finalists sent in her entry by paper on Dec. 20, so we know those entries got read.

I would be shocked if any of us still waiting received an e-mail ... what's the point now that the finalists have been announced? I have a feeling that we'll find out if or how we placed when the list goes up on the blog. If you're not there, then contact Joni and find out if you were entered at all.

Side note: I've read Wolverton's HM Daily Kick and there's nothing revelatory in there: be original, and use good writing and struture. As I said before, easy to say, harder to do.

mbwood
Member # 9525

Yes, Jennifer, I hear you. Rejection is all that is left. I'm still puzzled as to being in the 'HOLD' category and still hearing nothing, especially after all this time.

My entry was definitely 'beyond known space' with aliens (and not 'rubber suit' aliens either) carefully constructed to have a viable and very different culture. A lot of work, for what?

Yeah, I guess I can say I'm disappointed too.

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I was holding out hope that one of you guys left would break through that glass ceiling and get at least a finalist vote.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

me, too.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Still no results.
At this point I feel a query isnt rude.
I'll report my findings.

Axe

Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
Still no results.
At this point I feel a query isnt rude.
I'll report my findings.

Axe

[Eek!] What! It's only been six months! Geeez, patience man. Patience. [Cool]

(Can't wait to hear what Joni says, btw)

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Well, Axe, what did you find out? I know that Jennifer and I want to know whether we broke the glass ceiling (whatever that is), or, whether all we got for our wait was... REJECTION! Such sweet sorrow it is...
mbwood

axeminister
Member # 8991

I haven't heard back yet.
The cool thing about Joni is that she could answer back any day of the week.

Although I have considered that if she is planning the full list for early in the week that she may not get back to me on a personal level out of fairness to others.

Axe

mbwood
Member # 9525

Jennifer, I just received this at June 27, 2012 2:22:57 AM EDT:

"Dear Entrant,

Your story has now been judged and did not win or place in the 1st quarter. Even though you have never had to wait for results in order to submit for the next quarter, this hopefully gives you incentive to submit again. The more often you enter, the better chance you have of winning, and improving your skills.

I do urge you to join our forum if you have not already, or subscribe to our judge, David Farland's newsletter. Lots of great tips at both locations to help you. I do hope you are already working on that next story and do let me know that you did get this e-mail.

Best regards,
Joni Labaqui"

Did you receive the same message? This comes after being placed on HOLD CATEGORY for two months? This is a cruel way to reject a story.

axeminister
Member # 8991

MB, I agree.

At least take the time to change the wording for those who have been waiting this long. That's the least they could do.

But these forms going out to the hold pile people are blowing my mind. Quite a few from established writers on the WotF forum also.

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Sorry, MB. That sucks that you've waited this long only to get a form rejection. I understand there were unusual circumstances, but this quarter has really put me off of the contest, so much so that I'm thinking about taking a break from it. This is blowing my mind, too. Writers who have been a consistent presence on the HM list or above are getting form rejects. Different judge, different tastes.

And, no I haven't heard anything yet. None of the LAMPS have except for the ones who got the finalist call. All I received last night was a confirmation that I was entered in Q3.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Joni responded to my query. Straight rejection, 190 days. Sigh. That's a long time to wait for nothing. At least it's over.
snapper
Member # 7299

I am sorry to hear that Jen and MB. It sucks when you have to wait after all the good news has come and gone to find out you were unceremoniously dumped. Been there and done that for this contest before.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Unceremoniously dumped ... yeah, that's exactly how I feel right now, like: "Oh, yeah, we forgot you were still there."
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hey, Jennifer; me too, I got the feeling that we got dumped because the new regime ran out of time, or, they picked the winners before checking those in the hold category.

Unceremoniously dumped, yeah, that kinda describes it.

axeminister
Member # 8991

I've been dumped too.

Fortunately this is my favorite story, so I don't feel like it's garbage and no good. I still love it.

Even if it doesn't find a home elsewhere, I'm still really pleased with it.

Axe

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't heard a thing, and I sent a return envelope along with my entry. I'm pretty sure I got rejected due to the long wait and what you folks have already said. I just wished they'd send my manuscript back. I keep looking for it in the mail.

I also dug out my story and reread it. I can't believe how bad it reads to me now, and not because of the long wait. It just doesn't read near as well as it did when I sent it in. I honestly think if I was judging, I'd reject it too.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I was wondering whether you'd heard anything, Crystal. Dustin and I both had to query Joni to get a response, so you might consider doing the same thing. I get the feeling from the bloodbath that has resulted from DW reading the "holds" and LAMPS that he's going to be tougher to get past than KDW was. We're all going to have to up our game.
Strycher
Member # 9821

We have 2 Semi-Finalist announcements on the WotF forum.
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
With the semis now informed, I think we can't be far away from the blog list. Especially since when Joni sent me my Q2 entry confirmation yesterday she seemed hopeful that we finalists would hear a yay or nay in the next few days.

So, those still lost in the weeds should hear something soon!

Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

One winner has come forth.

3rd place: Stephen Sottong from California

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The blog post for Q1 is up, and the epic quarter is officially over. Read all about it here.
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
The blog post for Q1 is up, and the epic quarter is officially over. Read all about it here.

Yay! FINALLY! Congrats to Marina!, who I think has wandered over here.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys--that's rough news. This has been an insane quarter. Between you and me, I'm almost glad I didn't have a story for it! Also, I'm not sure I would read too much into the rejections, especially the hold ones. You might even want to revamp your beginning 450, change your title, and try again with it a bit later.

Hopefully life (and the contest) can return to "normal" now!

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm here. Thank you!
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Everyone who entered Q1:

Can we get a final count on the HM's and (if any) above?

The original post is traditionally edited to become a showcase for those who received some form of recognition for the contest.

Despite this massively messed up quarter, let's still keep track of who "made it".

You know, for posterity.

Axe

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
So nothing? We got stiffed this quarter? Wow. Been a long time since that happened.

EDIT: Okay, so I just went through the thread and the WotF blog announcement and grabbed four HMs. Definitely NOT a shutout. Great job, you guys. If I've missed anyone, lemme know and I'll throw your name up on the Page Primus.

[ August 02, 2012, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: WriterDan ]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Shut out? How about a home run? I thought MJNL won second place this quarter.

Lots of HM's this quarter, Me, Ute, LD, Owasm... I'm sure there was more

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.