Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Movie Quotes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Movie Quotes
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard Depardieu does a lovely Cyrano, but you need subtitles if you don't know French.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gerard Depardieu does a lovely Cyrano, but you need subtitles if you don't know French.

I could see him in the role. But the subtitles would be a distraction for me. The only film version, not counting take-offs, that I've seen was Jose Ferrer's. Not bad, exactly. But not the same as seeing it in person.

If I remember right, we were even in the front row at the play and it was in a small, intimate theater. Actors came down the aisles to come on stage, including the first appearance of Cyrano. The baker's wife very nearly fell out of her dress. And one of the Gascon Cadets died almost at my feet. It was fun.

Haven't been to a play in too long.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a play production of CYRANO in the last year or so at the Utah Shakespeare Festival (Cedar City, Utah) and it was great--they do good stuff there.

I don't know enough French to be able to avoid the subtitles, but they did't bother me when I watched Depardieu's CYRANO. (I tend to use closed captioning whenever I watch tv--though, since I just got a hearing aid for the ear that has lost hearing, I may not need to use closed captioning in the future.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
"Karen can do whatever she wants."
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Which makes me think of "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" (or something like that).
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. The difference between Goodfellas and Dirty Dancing?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If they're sending boats away, why don't they put some *people* in them?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Pleakley: Oh great! He's loose!

Jumba: His destructive programming is taking effect. He will be irresistibly drawn to large cities, where he will back up sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everyone's left shoe.

Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Identify yourself."
"I am a meat popsicle."

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifth Dimension is underrated...but then I like anything with Milla Jovovich
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I loved that "Age of Aquarius" song by her.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Secondhand Lions:

Walter: "Defend yourself!"

Hub: " I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

Hub: "We'll see what the man's selling. THEN we shoot him."

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wish I loved anything as much as my kids love bubbles"
- Knocked up

"We're going streaking, bring your green hat!"
- Old School

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
"Frankly my dear it's a hill of beans." (I can't remember what movie this comes from but I know Leslie Nielsen said it.)

"You're as wizard Harry." (I just love this one because then I can yell at the tv, "and you're a hairy wizard, Hagrid.")

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Madness! Madness!
Ben Trovato
Member # 7804

- posted      Profile for Ben Trovato   Email Ben Trovato         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

"The horror...the horror..."

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If I shouldn't come back, I forgive you what happened between you and Sobinski. But if I come back, it's a different matter.
Jmsbrtms
Member # 8874

- posted      Profile for Jmsbrtms   Email Jmsbrtms         Edit/Delete Post 
"Soylent Green is people!"

I think that's a spoiler, sorry.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What a way to fly into a war...unarmed and outta gas. Oboe leader to Oboe flight---we've flown smack into the middle of a war---get out as fast as you can, anywhere you can. If you can't make Hickam try Bellows or Wheeler.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Maybe we should ask that people include the source of the quote. Some of these seem awfully obscure.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You take the fun out of guessing, but...mine are from, successively, "Gone With the Wind," "The Producers," "A Hard Day's Night," "The Searchers," "Blazing Saddles," "Dr. Strangelove," "2001," "A Night to Remember," "Lilo & Stitch," "Casablanca," "Bridge on the River Kwai," "To Be or Not to Be," and "Tora! Tora! Tora!"

Unless I missed one going over it...

abozzo64
Member # 8865

- posted      Profile for abozzo64           Edit/Delete Post 
"In your bra!!!"

"Jerry, enjoy my wife."

"But I wasn't having as nearly as much sex as you were when we were married."

"mmmmmm...i've had better."

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
'My hypocrisy only goes so far' - Doc Holiday (Tombstone)
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Hey you! Get back to work!---"Modern Times"
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause another thread got me thinking about it:

"No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of."

And another line from the edited tv version since there's a whole lot of cursing:

"You see what happens when you have fun with a stranger in the Alps?"

The Big Lebowski

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the strength of a movie line doesn't often lie in the line itself, but in the context surrounding it, and the delivery more than anything.

"Pai Mei taught you the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique?"

"Of course he did."

~~~~~

"Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man!"

"Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend."

~~~~~

"It don't seem real... how he ain't gonna never breathe again, ever... how he's dead. And the other one too. All on account of pulling a trigger."

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

"Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming."

"We all got it coming, kid."

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Carl Fredricksen: Do you want to play a game? It's called See Who Can Go the Longest Without Saying Anything.

Russell: Cool! My mom loves that game!

---Up

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite cleaned up for tv version is Billy Madison.

Billy:He called the [poop], poop.

Sephiroth: I've just thought of a wonderful gift for you, shall I give you despair? --Advent Children.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Can you help a fellow American down on his luck?

---The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
This was one of my favorites in the last five years:

"Voilą! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

- V for Vendetta

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

At a stage in life when other men prosper, I'm reduced to living in Philadelphia.

---"1776"

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

philocinemas, that's been my email signature for a long time, now. I can't wait to see Hugo Weaving, Benecio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins in the new version of Wolfman. The adds look awesome. Of course, I feel that way about the upcoming Solomon Kane, too.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

IB, I listened to that monologue in instant replay at least 50 times back when I first got it on DVD. I put V for Vendetta in my top 5 movies of the past 5 years.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's one thing you gotta learn about women. They're all liars. And if they ain't liars, they're worse, laying for you with wedding music. Take that little dame from Oregon. All I was doing was tying her shoe laces and she starts beating me over the head with a preacher. Or that little thing from Minnesota, who tried to marry me while I was so drunk I didn't know what I was doing, if it hadn't been for the parson's mercy, I'd have been hooked good, for good! You just can't trust women. No matter how honest they act, they all want to be wives!

---"North to Alaska"

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

"it's not your flying, it's your attitude."

Top Gun

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, goody, this thread started up again.

Mr. Incredible: You mean you killed off real heroes so that you could pretend to be one?

Syndrome: Oh, I'm real. Real enough to defeat you! And I did it without your precious gifts, your oh-so-special powers. I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics the world has ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so that *everyone* can have powers. Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super---[chuckles evilly]---no one will be.

---The Incredibles

rich
Member # 8140

From the best movie I've seen this year:

"Polar bears cover their noses before they pounce on a seal. How do polar bears know their noses are black? Did they look in the water one day, see their reflection and say, 'Man, I'd be invisible if it wasn't for that thing.'"

The Informant!

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?

---Becket

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
From the best movie I've seen this year:
"Polar bears cover their noses before they pounce on a seal. How do polar bears know their noses are black? Did they look in the water one day, see their reflection and say, 'Man, I'd be invisible if it wasn't for that thing.'"

The Informant!

That was a good line. I thought the movie was ok, a little slow paced for me and I hoped there was some kind of conspiracy. I was disappointed when he turned out to be nothing more than a pathological liar.

rich
Member # 8140

quote:
I was disappointed when he turned out to be nothing more than a pathological liar.

But they're the best kind of liars.

The movie's definitely not for everyone, and I think it's gotten mixed reviews. I loved the flick because I read way too much into it: a treatise on American culture/values. I mean, the guy wants to be important, creating a biography that he thinks will impress people and espousing the virtues of doing the right thing when he's really just trying to get as much money as he can.

There's voice overs all through the movie, mostly having nothing to do with what's actually going on at the moment, until near the end of the movie a character asks him, "Why?" and, very softly, unlike the rest of the voice overs, "I don't know."

I think we "don't know" more often than not, and this was the cinematic version of this generation's, "Death of a Salesman".

But, again, I'm reading way too much into this flick, plus I've had one too many cocktails.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

1st soldier: Who goes there?

King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!

1st soldier: Pull the other one!

---"Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
ARTHUR: I am. And this my trusty servant Patsy.
We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights
who will join me in my court of Camelot. I must speak with your lord
and master.
GUARD #1: What, ridden on a horse?
ARTHUR: Yes!
GUARD #1: You're using coconuts!
ARTHUR: What?
GUARD #1: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin'
'em together.
ARTHUR: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this
land, through the kingdom of Mercea, through--
GUARD #1: Where'd you get the coconut?
ARTHUR: We found them.
GUARD #1: Found them? In Mercea? The coconut's tropical!

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @##...and I'm all outta bubble gum."

Rowdy Roddy Piper ~ They Live

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

[Tony offers Dr. Hackenbush a hint book]

Tony: One dollar and you'll remember me all your life.

Dr. Hackenbush: That's the most nauseating proposition I ever had.

---A Day at the Races

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

"Helvetica . . . Helvetica . . . Helvetica." ---Shorts

"Don't be afraid. 99 will die, Denver 9." ---Mothman Prophosies

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Mrs. Teasdale: Your Excellency, I thought you'd left!

Chicolini: Oh no, I no leave.

Mrs. Teasdale: But I saw you with my own eyes!

Chicolini: Well, who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?

---Duck Soup

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Colonel Blake: [Watches as a jeep rolls away] Did Hawkeye steal that jeep?

Radar: No, sir. That's the one he came in.

Colonel Blake: Oh, very good. Come along, my dear.

---M*A*S*H

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
CONNOR
(hung over)
Donna's gonna be angry about her
cat.
ROCCO
****. She's on every drug know to
man. She'd have sold that thing for
a dime bag. Screw her.
(beat)
But I do kinda feel like an ass-hole.

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.