FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 9)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for December 23 is:

argent \AR-jent\ (noun)
1 : the metal silver, also: whiteness
2 : the heraldic color silver or white

(Thank you, Stephen R. Donaldson. )

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The usurper's pennant was argent, as was her word for the day, which was submitted too early to be for the date specified!

Dobie??? You're under attack!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that increases the number of posts on this thread is fine by me!
Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Okay, I cheated a little...but there was only half an hour left, and I just had to post this cool word before someone beat me to it...

What happens to me now?

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A paddling for your argent-white unmentionable.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Dobie
Member # 1130

quote:
...I just had to post this cool word before someone beat me to it...

Am I missing something? I mean "argent" is a perfectly fine word but is there any reason to assume that anyone else was rushing to post it here?

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

Nooo...I meant before someone else posted a word of the day...I guess I didn't phrase that very well.

~Jane~

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that you were too urgent with your argent!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 23 is:

ineluctable \ih-nih-LUK-tuh-bul\ (adjective)
: not to be avoided, changed, or resisted
: inevitable

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The waning of argent society is ineluctable.

JaneX
Member # 2026

*sigh* Bob, you are incorrigible.

~Jane~

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 24 is:

crèche \KRESH or KRAYSH\ (noun)
: a representation of the Nativity scene

Dobie
Member # 1130

I hope I didn't offend anyone from the ACLU by posting that last word.
U. S. Supreme Court
Member # 2186

- posted      Profile for U. S. Supreme Court           Edit/Delete Post 
WE hereby rule that if the ACLU is offended, they can write a legal brief outlining their objections and then shove it straight up their argent-white unmentionable.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the US Supreme Court is a member here! I think the ACLU would actually be on your side Dobie if someone (particularly govt) tried to restrict your free speech to talk about creche scenes. While not a member (yet) i pay close attention to it and other groups' activities ( I also watch the Christian Coalition and a number of others). The ACLU, while sometimes rather controversial, is at its root an organization against government stepping where it should not go. Sometimes this includes things that we would consider acceptable, like govt snowplows helping out local businesses (without approval of any govt agency), but any impingement of free speech also gets them riled up. This means any, including the KKKs free speech. The ACLU amy be controversial, but they do not choose their battles by the ideology of the combatants
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Isn't it ironic that fugu's ID should turn from "new member" to "member" in the post where he talks about not being a member yet?

One might call it his creche thread!

Dobie
Member # 1130

Immaculate Conception (noun)
1 : the conception of the Virgin Mary in which as decreed in Roman Catholic dogma her soul was preserved free from original sin by divine grace
2 : December 8 observed as a Roman Catholic feast in commemoration of the Immaculate Conception

Dobie
Member # 1130

man·ger /'mAn-j&r/ (noun)
: a trough or open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 25 is:

invigilate \in-VIH-juh-layt\ (verb)
intransitive sense
1: to keep watch
2: to supervise students at an examination (especially British)
transitive sense
: supervise, monitor

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I came here to invigilate Caesar, not to praise him!

Dobie, we're watching you!

Merry Christmas!

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
During the time of Cleopatra, giving flowers to women as a token of affection had not become customary, yet. Instead, men used to make gifts of food to the objects of their love and desire. This was, on the whole, much more sensible.

One particularly poor laborer was amazed one day to find a berry that was more round, more colorful, and in every way more perfect than any berry he had ever seen. He plucked it, and took it home to his wife. The wife was so amazed at the perfection of this berry that she chose not to eat it, and instead took it around and showed it to her friends.

Word spread, and soon people were coming from all over the land to see this magnificent fruit. The poor laborer and his wife soon became rather wealthy by charging people admission to view the berry. Such was its beauty that lines formed outside of the laborer's house day and night with people waiting to pay for the privilege of viewing an example of nature's perfection.

It was not very long before word of this reached the Queen, herself. Being a jealous woman, she did not consider it proper that she, the Queen, should be deprived of this perfect berry, and she sent a squadron of soldiers to retrieve it and bring it to her. It was very late at night when the soldiers arrived at the laborer's house. They pounded on the door. "Go away, we're closed for the day", shouted the laborer from his bed. "We have come for the berry", the centurion called back. "Come back tomorrow, there's no more viewing of the berry tonight", shouted the laborer, beginning to lose his patience. "You don't understand", called the centurion... "We come to seize your berry, not to praise it."

(with thanks to Stan Kegel for this version )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Woohoo! I'm a member now! (Though not yet of the ACLU), and CT, that is one bad joke. I love it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

I was watching the Honeymooners episode where Norton gives Ralph a pair of spats for Christmas, and I thought it would be interesting to find out what spats are.

spat (noun)
: a cloth or leather gaiter covering the instep and ankle

By the way, "spat" is short for "spatterdash legging".

Dobie
Member # 1130

I was posting the definition of the word "spat", which includes the word "gaiter", and I thought it would be interesting to find out what a gaiter is.

gai·ter /'gA-t&r/ (noun)
1 : a cloth or leather leg covering reaching from the instep to above the ankle or to mid-calf or knee
2 a : an overshoe with fabric upper 2 b : an ankle-high shoe with elastic gores in the sides

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 26 is:

tantamount \TAN-tuh-mownt\ (adjective)
: equivalent in value, significance, or effect

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The catamount is tantamount to a cougar or a lynx.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its funny, spat is one word I have known since very little. I read Uncle Scrooge comics all the time (the good, carl barks and crew originals, not the newer stuff that just rehashes old ideas badly), and he wears spats. The wonders of reading comics
JaneX
Member # 2026

That's what "creche" means? So what's with the name "Foul's Creche"? Is that the same word, or just another one of SRD's obscure words? Or is it just a random name?

(Anyone who's read Thomas Covenant will know what I'm talking about. )

~Jane~

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 27 is:

hackle \HAK-ul\ (noun)
1 : one of the long feathers on the neck or back of a bird
2 plural : hairs (as on a dog's neck) that can be erected
3 plural : temper, dander

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Nothing raises my hackles like being in shackles.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 28 is:

undertaker \un-der-TAY-ker or (particularly in sense 2)
UN-der-tay-ker \ (noun)
1 : one that undertakes
: one that takes the risk and management of business
: entrepreneur
2 : one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
floccinaucinihilipilification: the action or habit of estimating something as worthless.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The undertaker of this death-defying feat was taken to the undertaker after he failed utterly to complete.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 29 is:

forfend \for-FEND\ (verb)
1 : to ward off
: prevent
2 : protect
: preserve

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
HP's mother's love forfends him against the dark arts.

[This message has been edited by Irami Osei-Frimpong (edited December 29, 2001).]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

Is "floccinaucinihilipilification" a real word?
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Heaven forfend that thou wouldst think that I should floccinaucinihilipilificate the sanctity of the Word of the Day to engage in mere sesquipedalianistic jest.

[This message has been edited by aspectre (edited December 29, 2001).]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I was in England last year, looking for an address. After visiting the first, second and third ends, I was directed to the "forfend." But when I got there, it was blocked.

Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
"To forfend or offend, that is the question, whether it is nobler in mind......"

"Alas poor Yorick, I forfended him well..."

"First, we forfend all the lawyers"

The possibilities are endless.

Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 30 is:

balneology \bal-nee-AH-luh-jee\ (noun)
: the science of the therapeutic use of baths

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Having someone else bathe me is the essence of balneology.

"Uh, excuse me, my dear, I think you've missed a spot!"

Baldar
Member # 2861

- posted      Profile for Baldar           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob--Do you mean like one of those steroid driven ex East German female weight lifters that work in hospitals now and pose as nurses.

Or the slim petite Brazilian transvestites that work in hospitals now and pose as nurses?

Or the kind like the woman in the King book Misery. A real nurse that poses as a human being? (I still hurt thinking what she does to his ankles).

Which one is the balneologist. And who is the victim?

Posts: 6449 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

I found this interesting word and decided to post it, although I'm sure it doesn't apply to anyone here.

crapulence  (noun)
: The condition of being intoxicated with alcoholic liquor
: drunkenness, inebriation, inebriety, insobriety, intoxication, tipsiness

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
His crapulance explains the short term memory loss.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for December 31 is:

syllabub \SIH-luh-bub\ (noun)
1 : a drink made by curdling milk or cream with an acid beverage (as wine or cider)
2 : a sweetened drink or topping made of milk or cream beaten with wine or liquor and sometimes further thickened with gelatin and served as a dessert

Wally Dick Leigh
Member # 2497

- posted      Profile for Wally Dick Leigh           Edit/Delete Post 
That word is pretty silly, bub!
Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

I found this recipe at The Webtender.
Syllabub
Ingredients:
2 cups White wine
3 cups Milk
5 tblsp grated Lemon peel (rind)
2 cups Light cream
1/3 cup Lemon juice
4 Egg whites
1-1/2 cup Sugar
Nutmeg
Mixing instructions:
Combine wine, lemon rind, and juice. Stir in 1 cup of the sugar and let stand until sugar dissolves. Combine milk and cream, add wine mixture, and beat with a rotary beater until frothy. Beat egg whites until stiff, add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, a little at a time, beating constantly until whites stand in peaks. Pour wine mixture into punch bowl, top with puffs of egg white, and sprinkle whites with nutmeg.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Syllabubs take all the fun out of crapulence.

Just as Baldar takes all the fun out of balneology.

Dobie
Member # 1130

Since today is New Year's Eve I would like to propose a toast to Jack, who came up with the idea for this thread and then apparently disappeared.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.