FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 12)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I haven't been able to find any confirmation of "aplomb" as an adjective, but I'm willing to take Zalmoxis' word for it.
Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
From the Oxford English Dictionary:

3. attrib. quasi-adj. Self-possessed, confident.

1865 Gayworthys II. 29 Her ordinary aplomb fashion of speech.

Okay, so it's a quasi-adjective. What does that mean? How can something be a quasi- part of speech? Does it mean that you can use it that way but it's dubious usage, something to be frowned upon? Should I feel unsure and uneasy even guilty about using it?

See this is what comes of using the OED. Much better to avoid it.

<Zal inititiates logy logarithm>

What was I saying? Oh, who..............cares.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 30 is:

impromptu \im-PRAHMP-too or im-PRAHMP-tyoo\ (adjective)
1 : made, done, or formed on the spur of the moment
: improvised
2 : composed or uttered without previous preparation
: extemporaneous

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
She put on her tutu and danced an impromptu fandango.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for January 31 is:

Rosetta stone \roh-ZEH-tuh-stohn\ (noun)
1 : a black basalt stone found in 1799 that bears an inscription in hieroglyphics, demotic characters, and Greek and is celebrated for having given the first clue to the decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphics
2 : one that gives a clue to understanding

Perelandra
Member # 3632

- posted      Profile for Perelandra           Edit/Delete Post 
A local resident was injured today at the local shopping mall. Apparently, while shopping at the Discovery Channel store, a 300lbs. replica of the Rosetta Stone slipped and fell from it's display area. The shopper was hospitalized and will be released within the week.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
"Attorneys for the store owner admitted that the woman is likely to require cosmetic surgery to remove the lasting impressions that the incident made upon her."

Anyway, here's my submission:

Silverblue Sun provided us with a post that was the Rosetta Stone needed to aid in deciphering all those previous Thor posts.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

He looked deep into her eyes. She was hot. Wore a black leather jacket. Thin cause she smoked so many Gauloise Blondes. And a mind that would not quit. A grad student in linguistics. Undergrad in comp lit AND classics from UC Santa Cruz. Could wrap her tongue and throat around any sound or syllable from Farsi to Tagalog.

He leaned in a little closer. "Jenny," he whispered. "Will you be my personal Rosetta Stone?"

She laughed. Well, snorted really. "How long did it take you to come up with that one?"

A pause. He squirmed. It had been completely impromptu. Had popped into his head and come out of his mouth like he was expecting some zenith of a moment. "Damn," he thought. "Where's the rewind?"

"No I will most emphatically not be your personal Rostta Stone," she said. "I will not be your personal anything. This relationship will not be based on ownership. You know how I feel about..."

He didn't hear the rest of what she said because he was counting her tobacco-stained teeth.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 1 is:

livid \LIH-vid\ (adjective)
1 : discolored by bruising
: black-and-blue
2 : ashen, pallid
3 : reddish
4 : very angry
: enraged

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

That livid mark upon my forehead appeared through no fault of my own.
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
That livid mark on your forehead appeared because I was livid with you.
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aelysium
Member # 2940

- posted      Profile for Aelysium   Email Aelysium         Edit/Delete Post 
Being in a different time-zone sucks. I'll never get the word of the day.

Aelysium
Who hopes

Posts: 397 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
he livid as he die-ed, in a brilliant burst of flames.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perelandra
Member # 3632

Before the morning dew
You weep on morrow's tune
Everywhere and everyone

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't exactly the livid response I was expecting.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pseudonym
Member # 3006

- posted      Profile for Pseudonym   Email Pseudonym         Edit/Delete Post 
I hit my head on the computer desk, and get a livid bump on my head.
Posts: 227 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 2 is:

benefic \buh-NEH-fik\ (adjective)
: of, having, or exerting a favorable or beneficent influence

Darling
Member # 2970

- posted      Profile for Darling           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie seems to be particularly benefic with his words-of-the-day.

And I got the first post. Yatta!!

[This message has been edited by Darling (edited February 02, 2002).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dobie's benefic influence spreads like wildfire through a lush grashland; like floods along the Mighty Mississippi; like an avalanche in the Alps;...

Aelysium
Member # 2940

- posted      Profile for Aelysium   Email Aelysium         Edit/Delete Post 
Lush things don't tend to catch fire very easily, y'know. Indeed, one might say that as far as fire safety is concerned, lushness is quite benefic.

Aelysium
Who hopes

Posts: 397 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 3 is:

conquian \KONG-kee-un\ (noun)
: a card game for two played with 40 cards from which all games of rummy developed

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

At the card tournament, as the Rummy champion entered, the crowd rose and gave a rousing rendition of All Hail the Conquian Hero.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited February 03, 2002).]

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 4 is:

eccentric \ik-SEN-trik or ek-SEN-trik\ (adjective)
1 a : not of the usual or normal kind
b : acting or thinking in an unusual way
2 : deviating from a circular path : especially, elliptical

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

All who fell under her spell settled into an eccentric orbit around the rest of humanity.

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited February 05, 2002).]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss having eccentric friends who play Quidditch every month and have 11-inch Jedi braids on an otherwise missionary haircut.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 5 is:

affluent \AF-loo-unt\ (adjective)
1 : flowing in abundance
2 : having a generously sufficient and typically increasing supply of material possessions

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie is quite affluent in verbiage.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The affluent produce more effluent per capita than do the non-affluent.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 6 is:

logomachy \loh-GAH-muh-kee\ (noun)
1 : a dispute over or about words
2 : a controversy marked by verbiage

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Prince (aka "the artist," "the artist formerly known as 'Prince'," and "Symbol") prompted a logomachy when he changed his name to a logo. The entire episode left most music fans feeling logy.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 7 is:

prototype \PROH-tuh-type\ (noun)
1 : an original model on which something is patterned
: archetype
2 : an individual that exhibits the essential features of a later type
3 : a first full-scale and usually functional form of a new type or design of a construction (as an airplane)

Member # 3008

- posted      Profile for Member           Edit/Delete Post 
The "Word of the Day" thread was the prototype for twelve page subjects, later surpassed by the latest Homosexuality thread.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The amoeba is the prototype protozoan.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Must
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Have
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

New
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Word-of-the-Day!!!!!!!

Anyone seen Dobie???

Perelandra
Member # 3632

Word of the Day for Friday February 8, 2002:

incontrovertible \in-kon-truh-VUR-tuh-buhl\, adjective:
Too clear or certain to admit of dispute; indisputable; unquestionable.

Dobie
Member # 1130

Sorry I'm late, and thaks Perelandra for covering for me.

The Word of the Day for February 8 is:

scission \SIH-zhun\ (noun)
1 : a division or split in a group or union
: schism
2 : an action or process of cutting, dividing, or splitting
: the state of being cut, divided, or split

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

With two words of the day, we have an incontrovertible scission in the thread.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 9 is:

obnubilate \ahb-NOO-buh-layt\ (verb)
: becloud, obscure

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The nubile sirens obnubilated Ulysses's mind, but the sirens weren't able to obfuscate his crew because their ears were plugged up, and so his ship remained obdurate to their enchanting song.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The professor could so obnubilate the mind of any listener that he was often asked to assist local surgeons in cases where the patient was unable to tolerate anesthesia. After one unlucky freshman failed to wake from his lecture-induced coma, the school had no choice but to sew the prof's mouth shut.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 10 is:

defile \dih-FYLE or DEE-fyle\ (verb)
: to march off in a line

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The LOTR Wenches defiled themselves to view Aragorn's striptease in another thread.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

Good job! That sentence actually made use of both meanings of the word "defile".
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*low bow*

I aim to please, always. Especially you, Dobie.

*cheeky grin*

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Concert-goers defiled themselves on the way to the port-a-potty.

Now there's an image I bet sticks with y'all for a few minutes!

BTW, good one CT.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 11 is:

flexuous \FLEK-shuh-wus\ (adjective)
1 : having curves, turns, or windings
2 : lithe or fluid in action or movement

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The flexuous line of people behaved more like a cohesive organism than a gathering of individuals.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.