Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Hatracker's thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The REAL Hatracker's thread
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob mentioned recently that because of the nature of the BB, we may all be having conversations with people who don't exist, except as multiple pseudonyms for the same person. We can all remember several examples of those who do this on purpose, some for evil intent, some not. I myself have a second pseudonym here that I trot out very occasionally, on dune related topics.

So, I thought it would be nice to create a list of verifiably real people. To be real, you need to have been physically met by two or more other hatrackers who can attest to your existence. A list of your witnesses is required. Those able to produce such a list are automatically granted more credibility in the hatrack community. I have decreed it as the lizard king, and thus it is law.

My personal list of witnesses to my existence:

Sarfa
Dean
Perfect Gentleman
AKA
DocMagic
OrsonScottCard
kacard
GeoffCard
Richard Berg
OlavMah
PapaMoose
Olivet
CalebVarns
FlyingCow
Jenny Gardener
Edited to add:
Mr. Flibble
Deirdre
Ralphie
POD

If you should be on my list, and for some reason I have forgotten you, please let me know and I will edit.

I hope this thread helps us keep straight who really exists, and who is just a figment of someone's twisted sociology experiment [Wink] .

Lizard King out

[ April 02, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I attended endercon. Do I really have to list every hatracker I've ever met?
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least two of them.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Slash, I've never met ANY of those people in RL.

How do I know that any of you exist?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I and my wife and child were probably met by hundreds at Endercon. I am not going to list them here, for they are many. They might even be named Legion, like Geoff's bicycle. In addition to Endercon folk, my existence can also be verified by Slash, OlavMah, Dean, Perfect Gentleman, Jacare (non-Sorridente), and DocMagic. Eddie Whiteshoes theoretically saw me, but did not approach and introduce himself, so I cannot verify his existence.

--Pop

Posts: 6206 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leto and Lead. Patrick and Pod have both heard my voice over the phone.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Strider:

My hope is that we can create a network of cross verifications. That way, even those who have never met each other can be sure of the others existence through a complex series of associations. I've met papamoose, who met leto, who met you, and so on.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EnderCon folk
Amka
pepperuda
Dante
ladyday
Irami
The Cards

Posts: 26063 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's probably more fun to list all you people that I have met. The list will make me elite, and I can use it to get into hoity toity restraunts that require a list of who's who to get in.

Jeni, Leto, Papa Moose, Mama Squirrel, Ladyday, Katharina, Pod, Jaiden, Aretee, Patrick, Zevlag, Marce, Orson Card, Kcard, Geoffery Card, Ronin, Calvinmaker, Ela, JaneX, Shlomo, Irami, Amka, Chris Kidd, Ladydove, Analog Kid, Theca, Miro. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

edit: to add on to list

[ April 02, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: NdRa ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've met OrsonScottCard...and I know Eyes from the Virtual Battle School.

Does that count? Do I exist??? [Confused]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can also verify that Kevin Bacon exists, but only indirectly.
Posts: 6206 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olivet
aka
Belle
porcelain girl
Ladyday
KarlEd
Miro
Paul Goldner
Pod
Fernando Martinez
Ela
Shlomo
JaneX
OrsonScottCard
kacard (though I think they don't know who I am. Kristine told porce I was a nice girl but thought I was brunette while I am most distinctively blond. [Wink] )

...there SHOULD be more on the list, stupid Northwest Airlines. [Mad]

Edited because I'm a dolt and forgot the hosts.

[ April 02, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met personally:

OSC
kacard

(I assume they are unimpeachable)

plus:
Icarus
Cor
their daughters

Chris_Bridges & his wife

zgator & his wife

Ela & her husband
JaneX
Shlomo
Narrativium
pH

dkw
(and she's a woman of the cloth, so you know she'd never lie!)

Posts: 22434 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, the only ones ive met in real life were kacard and OrsonScottCard... though they might not remember me since it was at a book signing...
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, well even though i think this is silly and just a way for people to flaunt who they met [Wink] , I'll play along.

I've met Leto and Frisco on multiple occasions. As well as whoever else was at Grenmecon: Icarus, Cor, Leonide, Coil. I forget what Leonide's sister's screen name is. But she was there.

[Smile]

Posts: 8711 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Only other jatraquero who can verify my existence is my wife. [Smile]
Posts: 5418 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met the Card at a book signing.

I will met Paul Goldner this summer at the OrneryCon II, as well as his brother.(Unless the world ends before then).

I have met several members of Ornery who can vouch for my existance, but I do not think that they post over on this side.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, my pic just got on the Hatrack Album. I think that verifies my existance Slash. [Razz]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pic does not mean you are for real. How do we know that that is really a pic of you. It looked an awful lot like Harrison Ford or Cindy Crawford. You have to actually meet another member.

What happens if someone with several names starts having each name verify that the others exist?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um, i wonder if i exist! dkw can verify that there is someone who responds to my mailing address and that that person (me, i tell you!) sent her a check. jebus i've spoken to on the phone.

maybe i'm not real!

well, if hobbes exists, he'll be able to validate or invalidate my existance this fall.

[Frown]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

good point msquared.

i can have upwords of 8 or 9 people verify my existence who for all intents and purposes don't exist themselves.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Msquared:

That won't work. See, we are trying to build a cross linked database of names. If one group of names is only verifying the existence of others within that same group, then the entire group is suspect.

msquared
Member # 4484

I post there for I am.

msquared

Stanlie
Member # 3333

- posted      Profile for Stanlie           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met Katharina and Post Reply.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I think I've met enough people to be verifiably real.

peekaboo
BYuCnslr
Carrie
Severian
Claudia Therese
Primal Curve
Tom Davidson
Vana
Lime
dkw
Ced
OSC and about 50 others at Endercon I won't list because I KNOW I would forget a bunch.

Posts: 4268 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Slash, you got some sort of database going with all this stuff?
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure this is necessary, but I'll enter to prove my validity. I've never attended the big events, so pardon the short list.

Possum can verify my existence. Plus, I can verify his.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPD!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Icarus
Cor
Ela and husband
Narrativium
pH
JaneX
Shlomo

And there's Bob Scopatz. as well, but he's not really a reputable source.

I wonder how K.A.M.A. is going to handle this one.

Posts: 4624 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've met Vána and Lime.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatrack
Member # 2291

- posted      Profile for Hatrack   Email Hatrack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't met any of you.

But you can't tell me I don't exist, because that would mean none of you had ever met, which would also mean that none of you exist.

So there.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strider: SingingRing. [Smile] duh! [Wink]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mack: i have no idea what you are referring to with that kristine comment. seriously.
apologies to anyone i leave out below.

i have met:
lady day
one lucky cricket
miro
pod
flying cow
caleb varnes/john keats
mackillian
risuena
frisco
naledge
dante
odouls and i knew eachother before hatrack.

i saw calvinmaker.
i've talked on the phone to leto, nndra, and ralphie.

khav was on the same mission as my brother at the same time, they knew of eachother.

i am down with the card family.

i have kissed two hatrackers.

[ April 02, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: porcelain girl ]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! How come I'm not on any of these? I was even in the trivia final! If I need to list two people: JaneX, Papa Moose, Pod. That's how important I am. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10584 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since it has been long ago agreed that I don't exist, there is nothing to handle.

Although, :Locke keeps looking through my window all the time. Is one witness enough?

Posts: 5696 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T_Smith
popatr
Diosmel Duda
Damandar
hansenj

And of course:

OrsonScottCard
kacard

I also saw Geoffrey at a signing, but it was several months before I joined Hatrack, and I was only interested in getting OSC's signature. Sorry, Geoff!

Posts: 9923 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met:

My sister Caitlin(SingingRing)
My best friend Alana (TheBlueFairy)
neither of them post...ever...

Strider
Frisco
Leto
coil
Icarus
Cor
the Icaracorettes [Big Grin] they're honorary Hatrackers, right?

that's the lot 'o' them.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zgator:

I thought we'd established on grenme that Kama doesn't exist...

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

yeah, but she's being really stubborn about it.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dangit, hobbes! i did mention you!

*starts to seriously doubt existance*

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Celia, I meant of existing Hatrackers, plus you said "if he exists" so [Razz] anyways! [Wink]

(P.S. My Dad and Grandpa and I are coming to Purdue on the Saturday of Memorial day weekend, I'm not sure we could do something with you, but we might. Are you going to be there?)

[EDIT: Next time I'm using preview post! I promise!]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 02, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10584 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

hahahahaha! we bought tickets yesterday. we'll be very far out of town visiting the same people we were visiting last time you were here.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pepperuda and slacker can both vouch for my physical existence
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ahh well, it probably wouldn't have worked anyways. Still...... [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slashy, Dean, Mikey, Alvinender, Richard Berg, Brian Worth, sarfa, Jacob Porter, mac, Pod, Saudade and Andrei, Olivet (with Ron and kids), Ian Ohlander, John Hansen, c.k.dexterhaven (though I didn't know at the time it was her), and Uncle Orson in person.

Talked on the phone many many hours with both Amira and Black Fox. Also spoke on the phone one time to otaku Paul, and on one memorable occasion to Pod's dad and stepmother. <laughs>

I think we need one more category, too. People you've known online quite well for a number of years, who have built up internally consistent pictures of themselves, and who seem in all ways to be real people.

[ April 02, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I have met a numbers of people, they can vouch that I am real, Jeni, NdRa, Amka, Taalcon, CalvinMaker, Pat, kacard, OrsonScottCard, Geoffery Card, JaneX, Shlomo, Ela, Pod, Jaids, LadyDay, Moose and family, Hobbes, Leto, Lead, aledge.

Bokonon has sent me computer hardware.

Telephone conversation with Paul, and someone else, who was it....

I know I am missing some, I didn't realize I knew so many people...

[ April 02, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other witnesses i have are Sheep and my brother Koraxe who posted here once or twice.
Posts: 5696 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know blacwolve and meltingsnowman.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ack. i've met no one...
Posts: 3611 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama's Teddy
Member # 4435

- posted      Profile for Kama's Teddy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Other witnesses i have are Sheep and my brother Koraxe who posted here once or twice.
Don't listen to her! It's all a sham!
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.