FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Hatracker's thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The REAL Hatracker's thread
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I just met Goody Scrivener, her daughter and Narnia. Yay!!! [Smile]

They came to my show. Again, yay!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade is now real but he's probably still on vacation. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I think in my flurry and nervousness of introducing myself to them I introduced myself as Ellia, and my name is Elly. [Blushing] I'm still wondering how that happened....
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I heard Ella. Course it was a little noisy with the conversation going on behind us...

I wish I'd thought to pull out the camera, though.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't exist. I'm certifiably either an alt, or a communal electronic hallucination.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, fellow star-bellied Sneeches!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really sorry to sully this fun thread with refrences to the current petty (and, I suspect, ultitmatly transitory) debate. I suspect this post will just seem weird six months from now when this arguement has gone away, and this thread is still going strong, as people find joy in the way our community grows and affects our real lives.

But Dag, for this thread to be anything like yours it would have to be called, "PLEDGE TO GO OUT RIGHT NOW AND HUNT DOWN A BUNCH OF HATRACKERS TO MEET SO WE CAN DECIDE WHETHER WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU."

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Perhaps you would care to explain the difference between actively soliciting evidence that someone is not an alt and my idea. Both unannounced alts and thread deletion are permitted activities that are both frowned on and that people want to know about before posting.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Perhaps you would care to explain the difference between actively soliciting evidence that someone is not an alt and my idea. Both unannounced alts and thread deletion are permitted activities that are both frowned on and that people want to know about before posting.
docmagik
Member # 1131

Alright, I'll give it a shot.

But the prerequisite is, you got to read the post I made explaining why I made the sneeches comment, and why it was so easy to see that thread in a negative way.

It's my first post on this page.

Seriously, go read it again. Even if you think you remember it.

Great.

Okay, so what's the difference between that thread and this thread?

1. This thread was started by Slash. It's hard to really put into words why that makes a difference, but it does. This thread started out with the context of everything else he was doing on Hatrack at the time, and that put it in a place where nobody really saw it as an attack.

Or, if they did, it was the same part of the general attack that Slash, being a lizard king, always tended to make on everybody, meaning that it was just as possible that this thread was made to attack the people who were calling out alts as it was that he was attacking people who used alts.

At any level, when the idea was brought up it did not feel retaliatiory, it did not feel like it was picking on anyone, and it did not feel like it was trying to distance anyone from anything.

It was just a fun idea for a thread.

Nobody was really being excluded here. The person with the most alts on hatrack could have joined. The only people excluded were, well, not really "people" at all.

2. This thread is not worded negatively. It does not say The Thread For People Who Are Above Using Alts or anything like that. Many of the "Real" hatrackers here use alts. Slash acknowledged using alts in the thread topic.

In your thread, by specifically making the thread title negative (Basically saying, "We're the people above a certain kind of behavior"), it feels more like it's about distancing yourself from different people than about acknowledging a common bond.

This thread, by wording it positively, is able to pass itself off as being more about shared bonds than about separation from "lesser" others a little more easily.

3. Regardless of anybody's intent when a thread gets started, once it's released into the ether, a thread takes on a life of its own. This one has proven, over time, to have become a very positive thing in the world of the Hatrack forums. It's become more about a right of passage as people become a stronger part of the community than it is about figuring out who those alts are so that we can remain suspicious of them.

Really, I don't think anybody's going to treat BlackBlade any differently now than they did before he got on this list. Nobody's thinking, "Oh, I can finally allay my suspicion that BlackBlade is just an alt for cheirosdeender."

Sure, Slash said anyone who did it would "automatically granted more credibility in the hatrack community," but he did it by his authority as "lizard king," meaning the worst that might have happened if someone had failed to grant such credibility is that they would have been eaten by him.

Meaning this was all in fun.

And quite frankly, if anybody wanted on this list, they could just make up a bunch of alts, pretend they all lived in Antartica, post a thread about PenguinCon, pretend to hold it, and then declare all their alts real.

This thread isn't really about that.

There was no enforcement declared, no position put in place for "People who pretended to be real but turned out not to be" to be edited in, so everybody would eventually know who to shun.

Everybody can become real, if they care to, and are willing to go where the closest hatrackers are. The only requirement for getting into this club, basically, is wanting to be in it bad enough to do that.

Your thread is basically, "Here is where you can find the trustworthy Hatrackers," and then makes specific decsions about what constitutes trustworthy that would be debated by some hatrackers.

This thread makes no such moral judgements. All it does is acknowledge existance.

Nobody would read this thread and come away thinking Slash or anybody who played along in the game didn't like them. They'd know that if they ever cared to, they could eventually join it.

I mean, even the name of the thread is tounge in cheek. "Real" hatrackers. Everybody's real!

Your thread was nothing like this. Your thread was very official. Your thread contained a punishment (a list ready to be edited) for violation. There was nothing "fun," "tounge in cheek," or anything approaching slash's aknowledgement of having engaged in the use of ALTs himself.

Your thread, quite frankly, felt mean, serious, and judgemental.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
doc, I'm sorry, but this does sully this thread. It would have been much better elsewhere. Instead...

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
I'm partly South Indian. [Big Grin]

Tamil, soap? That's cool. [Smile] And, um, sorry for being so late to catch that comment... Have you been to/lived in India as well, or is it purely ancestry in action?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
doc, I'm sorry, but this does sully this thread. It would have been much better elsewhere. Instead...

doc wasn't the one who brought it over here. He was responding to dag's post further up this page about "sneeches" - which dag brought over here from the other thread.

Just saying.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Didn't know that. Thanks, Ela. I'd read about sneeches, but I've been sick for the last week, so I don't know if it's just my brain or what, but I really just don't get what it's about or where it originated.

ETA: So, the significance of it went over my head, is what I'm trying to say.

Still, does the infection have to spread? Can't it stay restricted to the five or ten already existing threads about thread deletion?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question. I met three Hatrackers back in April. They were:
Amanecer
pfresh85
vonk

All of us were first time Hatrack people meeters. Are we real yet?

I know I wouldn't have this problem if I met KQ and Boon at the little TulCon they had. Maybe next time.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

You have no problem. You're all real.

If you want to get technical, you're all real and a half. [Party]

[ August 12, 2007, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: docmagik ]

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i wanna be real!!!
anyone in DE?
i am : )

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they had none of them met anyone real before, right? You have to meet previously real people to become real. Although some subscribe to the theory of retroactive realness, so if one of them became real thereafter some would say they are then all real.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Wow, you're right. I just went back and re-read the thread and around page 6 they changed the definition.

Sorry, brojack. Never mind.

This is now the "Six Degrees of Separation From Slash" thread.

[Wink]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

docmagick, let's be clear here. The accusation made was that my thread was equivalent to ""PLEDGE TO GO OUT RIGHT NOW AND HUNT DOWN A BUNCH OF HATRACKERS TO MEET SO WE CAN DECIDE WHETHER WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU."

quote:
This thread was started by Slash. It's hard to really put into words why that makes a difference, but it does. This thread started out with the context of everything else he was doing on Hatrack at the time, and that put it in a place where nobody really saw it as an attack.
If you can't put it into words, then you've hardly even attempted to explain it to me. In-group acceptance of behavior by another, with the only attempt to explain why this matters amounting to "because everyone knew it was OK" is a lot more star-belly sneechlike than anything I've done.

quote:
In your thread, by specifically making the thread title negative (Basically saying, "We're the people above a certain kind of behavior"), it feels more like it's about distancing yourself from different people than about acknowledging a common bond.
Again, that's what YOU'RE bringing to this. It's a group of people banding together based on a common characteristic.

quote:
This thread is not worded negatively. It does not say The Thread For People Who Are Above Using Alts or anything like that. Many of the "Real" hatrackers here use alts. Slash acknowledged using alts in the thread topic.
Every time you reword what I said, you add your own value judgment to it. Your attacks can't stand on their own - you have to make up stuff that I said to even get them off the ground. The concept of "above" is something YOU'VE added to this, not me.

Further, I didn't say those people had a problem with alts. I said they had a problem with unannounced alts - the specific behavior that being "real" targets.

Let's look at the opening post again: "To be real, you need to have been physically met by two or more other hatrackers who can attest to your existence. A list of your witnesses is required. Those able to produce such a list are automatically granted more credibility in the hatrack community. I have decreed it as the lizard king, and thus it is law."

You might think the "lizard king" thing makes it somehow different than what I did, but your relying on "the worst that might have happened if someone had failed to grant such credibility is that they would have been eaten by him."

Whereas my thread had no consequences for anyone EXCEPT THOSE WHO PUBLICLY BREAK THEIR WORD. Not people who choose not to participate. Not people who insist on deleting threads. Just those who break their word.

quote:
And quite frankly, if anybody wanted on this list, they could just make up a bunch of alts, pretend they all lived in Antartica, post a thread about PenguinCon, pretend to hold it, and then declare all their alts real.
No, they couldn't.

quote:
Everybody can become real, if they care to, and are willing to go where the closest hatrackers are. The only requirement for getting into this club, basically, is wanting to be in it bad enough to do that.
The only requirement to being in my "club" (I'll use y our loaded word for clarity) is to promise not to delete others' words. That's it. Anyone can join.

quote:
Your thread is basically, "Here is where you can find the trustworthy Hatrackers," and then makes specific decsions about what constitutes trustworthy that would be debated by some hatrackers.
For the last time: NO IT DOES NOT!!!! It says here is where you can find the people who have voluntarily chosen to refrain from exercising a particular power.

Quite frankly, all this does is confirm my original impression that the reason you see this so negatively is YOUR distrust of others.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Some people don't know when to quit arguing, methinks.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of being "real" as being more about celebrating the fact that you met some cool people from the site. There really isn't much status involved with it, except that you'll probably be closer to the people you meet than ones you haven't. Technically, to be real, there must be a chain linking you back to Slash, since he started the thread.

In my opinion, Dagonee, people were being too hard on you in the thread you started. However, your comment on this thread was out of line. I'd really appreciate it if you'd avoid spreading the hostility to other threads.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
is it possible to be made un-real by never posting?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm half real. I met pH.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I added to the reality matrix by visiting saxon75 and Papa Moose a couple of weeks ago. We're all real, but now we're more real.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asher
Member # 10422

- posted      Profile for Asher   Email Asher         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this sort of like putting a star on your belly to make sure everyone knows who the good people are?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think we've firmly established that it is not.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not 'real' - and I'm okay with that...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really, I don't think anybody's going to treat BlackBlade any differently now than they did before he got on this list. Nobody's thinking, "Oh, I can finally allay my suspicion that BlackBlade is just an alt for cheirosdeender."
Fools, my plan has been exacted to perfection!

Also,

*Materializes*
I'm a real boy!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Darnit! Docmagic, I was so excited for a whole two posts when I thought I was real. But no, only to have my joyous celebration dashed against the rocks by KQ! Oh the horror! Sniff. Oh well, one day, one day I'll be real.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Vonk and I have played at the same scrabble table, does that count? [Wink]

Speaking of, anytime for a game today vonk?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Oh, I'm half real. I met pH.

If I could get Mark to join up here, I think you'd be 100% real...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I was made real during Verily's trip to NE (thanks Bok and Myr). I don't think I (or they) ever posted it, though.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Darnit! Docmagic, I was so excited for a whole two posts when I thought I was real. But no, only to have my joyous celebration dashed against the rocks by KQ! Oh the horror! Sniff. Oh well, one day, one day I'll be real.

Come to L.A. We happily make anyone real. Heck, come have dinner with my family, or with the Meeses, if none of the rest of the clump are free, and you'll be real right there, since both families contain at least two Real Jatraqueros (although of course we accept any excuse to get together so most likely you'll get at least a few more than that.)

Bring gifts. [Wink] [Razz]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

Come to L.A. We happily make anyone real. Heck, come have dinner with my family, or with the Meeses, if none of the rest of the clump are free, and you'll be real right there, since both families contain at least two Real Jatraqueros (although of course we accept any excuse to get together so most likely you'll get at least a few more than that.)

Come now, clearly the next meeting should have positions switched where the hosts give gifts to the visitors. It can rotate every time [Big Grin]

I'd hate to think I'd spoiled you KQ.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, I brought gifts to Boon and her kids when we went to the Tulsa GirlyCon we just had.

Which no one else bothered to attend. [Wink] [Razz]

Okay, so they were hostess gifts and mostly chocolate. And I ate some of it.

So sue me. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And KPC will tell you I was spoiled rotten LONG before you met me. [Wink] )
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a plan! Next time I'm near the West Coast there will be presents aplenty!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww, I was just joking 'bout the gifts. Although if you REALLY wanted to give me one, of course I would not say no!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Awww, I was just joking 'bout the gifts. Although if you REALLY wanted to give me one, of course I would not say no!

It's true, she really wouldn't [Big Grin]

KQ and Rivka were brilliant hosts.

docmagik
Member # 1131

Vonk, I apologize.

I think we could call what you are in "The State Formerly Known as Real."

Or "Old-School Real."

Or maybe "Classic Real."

Or maybe "Real Light: All The Flavor Of Regular Real, With Only Half The Miles On Your Car."

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

It's true, she really wouldn't [Big Grin]
I wouldn't, either, if it were chocolate... [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:
I just met Goody Scrivener, her daughter and Narnia. Yay!!! [Smile]

They came to my show. Again, yay!!! [Big Grin]

I'm just now adding my testimony to Luet's solidity. She really does exist and she's talented like crazy. The show was a great time. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
this thread always makes me jealose of all the hatrackers i have never met and always want to meet
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
But you've met me! What more could you ask for?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Meeting me. [Wink]

And he has. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You met me without totally realizing it! That must count for something.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am pleased to announce that brojack17 is now Real, having met the entire Ketchup Family (which includes 2 or 3 Real Jatraqueros, depending on who you talk to) at Pie N Burger in Pasadena tonight.

And he didn't finish his chili. I ate him under the table. [Razz]

But other than that, he is very nice. I look forward to seeing him again sometime, and have threatened to invade his home next time we are in Tulsa. [Big Grin]

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ,
Just because we have the same size belly does not mean we both have 1 1/2 people to eat for. [Smile]

Thank you for the wonderful meal, I enjoyed the leftovers in my hotel room.

You have a beautiful and wonderful family and I wish you luck with the new baby.

vonk, pfresh, and amancener (sp),

I'll be back in Houston next week and I could bestow some realness on you then if you would like to meet again. I know vonk and pfresh are still in Houston.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some people who believe in retroactive real. Though if those people have just met you, they'd only be half real.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.