FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 5 Thread (Page 11)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Lost Season 5 Thread
J-Put
Member # 11752

- posted      Profile for J-Put           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think that it sounded more like miles and jack. And he says at 3:34 "Lefleur what are you doing?" Theres a lot of hidden stuff in that video though. At 2:42 theres somebody talking, but it's faint, and not anybody in the room. It may be in another language, I can't make it out. And at 1:46 there's an image of SOMETHING for just a second.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
dead is dead. [Smile]

that scene hasn't happened yet. unless Faraday is alive, that scene cannot happen, since there is no time traveling faraday alive to make it happen. and we know it hasn't happened in his past either.

We don't know what Faraday might have done earlier. He might have travelled to this time and then gone back, and afterwards (on his personal timeline) come back to get blown away by Mommy Dearest.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're stretching things Lisa. So what you're saying is that Faraday hasn't been in ann arbor the whole time doing research, and that at some point during all this he traveled to the future, befriended Cheng, recorded this video, and then traveled back to 1977, came to the Island shocked to see Jack and friends having traveled in time back there, and then proceeds to die?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think that if he could count the beats of the metronome, he would play evenly with it.

[ April 30, 2009, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that's weasely of them. That is not only without a doubt Faraday's voice, but it was very intentionally Faraday. Does that mean they made a big plot change and now need to backtrack out of this, and figure because it wasn't aired on the show it doesn't matter?

Right. With Daniel's knowledge and expertise, I expected him to be one of the heroes. Unless this is a cliffhanger and he isn't really dead, like lil' Ben (even though we all knew he would live).

This is the first time I feel cheated by the show.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J-Put:
I actually think that it sounded more like miles and jack. And he says at 3:34 "Lefleur what are you doing?" Theres a lot of hidden stuff in that video though. At 2:42 theres somebody talking, but it's faint, and not anybody in the room. It may be in another language, I can't make it out. And at 1:46 there's an image of SOMETHING for just a second.

He says "Lara, get him out of here" and "Lara, what are you doing?" Lara is his wife.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really mad. Not only because a friend spoiled it for me, without remorse at having done so!, but because, even KNOWING how the episode was going to end, it was still a punch in the gut to see him get shot. I hope he's not gone, but I feel like he is.

Richard's getting on my nerves. He never ages and/or time jumps with regularity, seems to have all the answers, and yet doesn't remember the guy who told him to hide the hydrogen bomb? Puh-lease.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-Put
Member # 11752

quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
quote:
Originally posted by J-Put:
I actually think that it sounded more like miles and jack. And he says at 3:34 "Lafleur what are you doing?" Theres a lot of hidden stuff in that video though. At 2:42 theres somebody talking, but it's faint, and not anybody in the room. It may be in another language, I can't make it out. And at 1:46 there's an image of SOMETHING for just a second.

He says "Lara, get him out of here" and "Lara, what are you doing?" Lara is his wife.
You might want to listen to that a couple more times. At 3:34. Just loop that spot a few times. It's absolutely LaFleur.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

That doesn't make any sense within the context of the video. Why would He tell LaFleur to get baby Miles out of there, when his wife would probably be there too?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
Richard's getting on my nerves. He never ages and/or time jumps with regularity, seems to have all the answers, and yet doesn't remember the guy who told him to hide the hydrogen bomb? Puh-lease.

He only knows so much because he's been told by all these time travelers. As far as not aging... that doesn't grant someone knowledge of the future.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was 23 years ago. I can't say I'd immediately recognize a guy who I'd seen for only a few minutes 20 years ago even if that was the most important few minutes of my life. I'd certainly remember the event but I can't say I'd immediately recognize the face.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His M.O. seems to be to pause and say "Do I know you?" or "Have we met?" to all time travelers. It's a good practice, to figure out where they are on their personal timeline, to guess how much they know about him/the situation.

He's a clever guy.

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
You'd think that if he could count the beats of the metronome, he would play evenly with it.

I always know what the music am playing is supposed to sound like, and how I am supposed to pplay it. Rarely can I make my fingers follow along though.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
That was 23 years ago. I can't say I'd immediately recognize a guy who I'd seen for only a few minutes 20 years ago even if that was the most important few minutes of my life. I'd certainly remember the event but I can't say I'd immediately recognize the face.
yeah...this is what i was thinking too.

quote:
That doesn't make any sense within the context of the video. Why would He tell LaFleur to get baby Miles out of there, when his wife would probably be there too?

J-Put also said it sounded like Jack or Miles and I can't imagine how anyone would hear that. I think this proves that J-Put is actually a plant by the network to throw us off the correct scent!

So, here's why I'm really upset:

Superficial reason: I really really loved Faraday. I was really missing his presence over the last bunch of episodes. They FINALLY bring him back and kill him off right away! I won't share my full feelings on this matter because its' a family forum.

Deeper reason: Faraday was the CHAMPION of "whatever happened, happened". I don't buy for an instant that in his last few years of doing research he suddenly decided that things can be changed. I mean, i knew he was going to talk to Charlotte, but this whole stop the accident from happening thing so all our paths will be different is ridiculous. How does that even work logistically? What happens if they stop that event from happening? Do the Losties disappear into a different time line? do they create multiple time lines and continue to live out the one they're currently in? It's just a ridiculous premise, and super genius Faraday should know that. If the show ended that way I would curse Lost forever.

I don't think the producers would do that...which is exactly why i'm disappointed. Because I think they're going to spend the next few episodes with these characters on a wild goose chase trying to change the future, and it won't happen. I think it's a contrived plot device, and I further don't accept the vessel they used to initiate the this new plot direction, because it's totally out of character!

Also, shouldn't the very fact that even Faraday's attempts to change things(talking to charlotte, seeing his mom and being shot by her) were the very things that always happened indicate you CAN'T change things?

[Mad] [Wall Bash]

Only smilies can indicate my displeasure.

I hope Faraday is alive. I hope that video is canon. And still sort of hope Faraday can be the "smart young man" that figured out how to find the Island! If wishes were horses...

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
His M.O. seems to be to pause and say "Do I know you?" or "Have we met?" to all time travelers. It's a good practice, to figure out where they are on their personal timeline, to guess how much they know about him/the situation.
I wonder if he did that when Locke first meets him in 2004. It would be interesting to go back and watch that episode and see if there is any foreshadowing of the time travel but I don't actually have time to scan through all the episodes. Does any one know what season that might have been or perhaps the name of the episode or other events that happen that episode?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well, there is the whole line about "we've been waiting for you for a long time".
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
I think a bunch of people on here were bowled over at the prospect that Rousseau would not recognize Jin after all those years. At the time I said something to the effect that she probably didn't know him in that time period for very long, which turned out to be true. I'm sort of on the opposite end of the argument this time, though, because I think Richard's a different kind of person. The idea that he would just naturally not remember Faraday presumes that Richard really is immortal and/or never-aging. Which is not a premise that I necessarily buy.

It's possible that Richard time-skips regularly, so events which to others happened 23 years ago happened yesterday, or a week ago, for him. If the forgetting of Faraday is part of his survival tactics, I completely buy his reaction. If not, I don't know. There's something not right about him, and I think his existence in more than one time period is better explained by individual time travel than He's a Pseudo-God.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Well, there is the whole line about "we've been waiting for you for a long time".

Yes but that isn't what I meant. Is there any evidence in that first meeting that Richard was trying to determine where Locke was in Locke's personal time line. Did Richard say anything to indicate he was trying to determine whether the events of his past were in Locke's past or future?

The scene where Richard visits John as a child and asks him to pick the items that were already his is very interesting. We've seen two different types of time travel in the series, physical time travel and consciousness jumping. Obviously the child Richard visited was younger than the John who visited the others in 1954 but perhaps Richard was testing to see if John's consciousness had jumped so that the child John had memories of his future. It makes me wonder whether at some point in this series John consciousness will begin jumping in time the way Desmond's did.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
There's something not right about him, and I think his existence in more than one time period is better explained by individual time travel than He's a Pseudo-God.
I don't have a good explanation for Richard but I think frequent time travel has a number of problems. Juliette said "Richard's always been here" and he certainly is always there whenever anyone is looking for him. I presume that a person who travels in time is still aging on their particular time line. This pretty much precludes them from being anywhere all the time and still being perpetually young. If we allow that he may have aged say 2 years over the 50 years, that wouldn't allow him to be with the others more than an hour each day on average. If that were the case, what are the odds that he would always be around when one of the Losties comes looking for him unless he time jumps specifically to be present for particular events. Still you think Juliette would have noticed him being gone most of the time during her 3 years with the others.

Still the show has already given us two different kinds of time warping, perhaps there is yet another one that explains Richard. I've also considered the possibility that he is one of the "undead" either like Christian Shepherd or John Locke. Time travel isn't the only strange thing happening on the island.

I'm more curious about the role Richard plays among the others. Clearly he is important but he is never the leader. Are there others among the others who don't age? Clearly Widmore, Hawking, Ethan and Ben age.

Strider
Member # 1807

There's also the line Ben say's about, "you do remember birthday's don't you Richard?" implying longevity as opposed to time jumping, though I do think there is something to what Leonide is saying. I'm curious as to what the mechanism regarding Richard's seeming agelessness actually is.
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm curious, too, but currently I think the 'undead' theory is more likely in Richard's case. He strikes me as the kind of guy who pulls the strings behind puppet leaders, and is perfectly happy in that role even though he doesn't get all the glory.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
He strikes me as the kind of guy who pulls the strings behind puppet leaders, and is perfectly happy in that role even though he doesn't get all the glory.
Somehow I have a hard time thinking of either Ben Linus or Charles Widmore as "puppets". I think that's the wrong analogy. I think Richard is something closer to the spiritual leader of the others while Widmore and Linus were the political leaders. Something like the relationship between Gandhi and Nehru.
Leonide
Member # 4157

But if he is undead, then he wouldn't seem to be the Same Kind of Undead as, say, Christian, or the manifestation of Alex, or Remy. Those were (are) slightly malevolent presences, and seem to be extensions of the smoke monster. Richard is more pervasive and (seemingly) more benign, and he doesn't seem to have the power or control issues that the other Undead have. Is there another example of a dead person appearing where that person didn't seem like they had a nasty agenda? Maybe Charlie appearing to Hurley. Or Claire appearing to Kate? But those are visitations and short-lived, and Richard, like everyone says, is always around.

Maybe it's one of those things where he is time-jumping but only always to exactly where he needs to be, where he always was, because you "Can't Change the Past" so he is displaced and moved exactly where he needs to be and when. He seems so outside of everything, though. Not caught up in the (personal?) feud Ben and Widmore are enacting, although certainly instrumental in the Purge, so he's not completely without agenda or sometime-ill-intent. And seems to have a line to Jacob: the "Jacob wants him saved" line about Ben. Maybe the Smoke Monster and Jacob are linked but not the same, almost warring factions like Ben and Widmore.

Maybe it'll turn out that the Smoke Monster is just a mechanical/electronic system that gained consciousness and then went hay-wire. [Smile]

Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
quote:
He strikes me as the kind of guy who pulls the strings behind puppet leaders, and is perfectly happy in that role even though he doesn't get all the glory.
Somehow I have a hard time thinking of either Ben Linus or Charles Widmore as "puppets". I think that's the wrong analogy. I think Richard is something closer to the spiritual leader of the others while Widmore and Linus were the political leaders. Something like the relationship between Gandhi and Nehru.
Yeah, that's a much better way to put it. [Smile]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
quote:
Somehow I have a hard time thinking of either Ben Linus or Charles Widmore as "puppets".
But this whole show Revolves around finding out that the People We Thought Were in Charge, Really Aren't.

First we think our Losties are the only inhabitants of the island, and so Locke and Jack fight for supremacy. Then someone kidnaps Walt and voila! There are other forces at work. Then Henry Gale shows up and Surprise! He's actually the leader of those other forces. But wait! He actually kow-tows to another, the mysterious Jacob. And there's a Dharma Initiative? Are they in control? No, they were Purged by the Others, the Hostiles. Then, wait, Charles Widmore used to live on the island?! He's a high roller too, AND he planned the faked plane crash. Our little original Lostie pawns get smaller and smaller and smaller...and now there might be an original pagan religion/force existing for centuries, millennia? "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" And Richard of course, is he in control, or is there someone outside of him?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Widmore and Ben are pawns. Actually, we've already seen that Ben is -- he answers to the Smoke Monster, so he's not really running this game of his own accord. He is the Monster's puppet, because his continued existence depends on the monster still needing him around to do its dirty work.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Maybe it's one of those things where he is time-jumping but only always to exactly where he needs to be, where he always was, because you "Can't Change the Past" so he is displaced and moved exactly where he needs to be and when.
That seems way to contrived even for this show, it sounds too much like you are proposing that Richard is some sort of Schrodinger's cat. He doesn't age because he only exists when people are looking for him and people rarely look for him.

But I also think there is other evidence that Richard isn't time jumping. He doesn't seem to have a complete knowledge of the time line. He doesn't recognize Locke when Locke shows up in 1954 but he does recognize Locke in scenes that occur later in the time line. In 1954, Locke tells Richard when and where he will be born and Richard shows up at the hospital to verify what Locke said. When he visits Locke as a child, he seems to be looking for some sort of information. None of that really meshes with the continuously jumping in time theory.

quote:
But this whole show Revolves around finding out that the People We Thought Were in Charge, Really Aren't. . . . .

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Widmore and Ben are pawns.

I'm not arguing that Ben or Charles were every the top dog, clearly they answer to Jacob and possibly others. But there is a difference between being middle management and a puppet leader. Puppet just doesn't fit either personality even though they obviously don't wield the ultimate power.

Pawns might be a better analogy since its entirely possible that they are pieces in some sort of game that is being played by a higher authority. But then I'd argue that everyone in the show, except perhaps Richard, would qualify as a pawn.

J-Put
Member # 11752

quote:

Alright, let me walk through every off screen interaction and my explanation of who it is then. That's why I gave the time in the video, so you wouldn't think I was talking about when he yells to his wife.

1:25, chang yells at his wife to take the kid outside.
2:37, Jack says "None of that matters", Miles cuts in with "It doesn't matter, just get to it, please."
3:26, Miles says "This is useless, they're never gonna see this, how do I turn this off?" There's movement, people walking around and the camera being moved, then Chang says "LaFleur what are you doing?" And then it's over.

Im not crazy here, the only one that I am not sure about is Jack.

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear him saying "No. What are you doing?" and then sort of stumbling over his words as he repeats himself with more urgency. I definitely don't hear him say LaFleur.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Forgot to post more thoughts this week!

Is Faraday dead?

the veracity of the video is hugely important for this point. It's so obviously Faraday's voice, and Faraday's way of speaking, and FARADAY. and to try to play it off like it isn't is one of a few things. 1) they're trying to throw viewers off the scent. 2) faraday's death was a late development plot change, after they'd already released this other thing, but since it was never aired on the tv show they think they can get away with ignoring it.

So...if the video is canon...We know that The Incident happens in something like 6 hours. We know that Laura and baby Miles are present while the video is being filmed. And we know that the two of them are being shipped off Island in a submarine that same day(which i'm a little confused about because i had speculated that Miles gets his powers due to the Incident in some way, which would imply he's around for it). Which means that Faraday would have to be up and about very very shortly. Jack's doctoral skills aren't that amazing, although i guess that's a small possibility. The Temple is another. The only option left, barring those two, is an earlier time traveling Faraday, which I really don't like the idea of. It would mean that some time in the last three years faraday time traveled to the Island, hooked up with cheng, made the video, time traveled back to ann arbor, and then shows up on the island demanding to know how Jack time traveled. that doesn't really ad up for me. Though I may have to apologize to Lisa if that's how it goes down!

I really hope Faraday is alive. It would make me really happy.

Faraday's Knowledge

Where does Faraday get his knowledge from? How does he know Cheng is Miles' dad? How does he know The Incident is about to occur? How does he know when Cheng is going to show up at The Orchid? How does he know all about the hatch and the future events there? Where did he get all the information to fill his journal? How does he know Cheng will send Miles away today? Did you guys catch that last one? After Faraday confronts Cheng and him and Miles are talking, Faraday says he's "just making sure cheng does what he is supposed to do" and gives miles a weird look. Faraday knows that Cheng will send miles away to protect him. And yet, he doesn't know about his mom shooting him. So where is the disconnect and why? Is time traveling the answer to how he gained his knowledge?

Eloise and Widmore

So, Faraday is their son! and half siblings with Penny. I'm pretty sure we've speculated about this before, but it was cool to have come out. When is Faraday conceived? should he be born yet on the Island? Is widmore cheating on Ellie with whoever he has Penny with off Island? Or is it the other way around? when does ellie leave the island? does her shooting Daniel prompt that to happen?

Eloise not knowing what's going to happen for the first time in a long time

what does that mean? was she being poetic or literal? where does Eloise get all her knowledge from? Does she only know what's going to happen to Faraday because she knows he'll end up on the island? Did she read his notebook and learn all about the future from that? But obviously she couldn't know about anything in the future after where Daniel exists in the timeline and is able to write in his notebook which would explain her lack of knowledge of things in 2008. Or does the nature of her uncertainty have more to do with the fact that it's Desmond, and his special powers. Though, we also know last time she spoke to Desmond she told him the Island is not through with him yet. So what gives? She knows Desmond is going back to the Island, but somehow doesn't know if he'll live or die now?

Changing the future

I've been saying for a while that i thought this season was going to lead up to the Incident, and that it was going to involve the losties trying to get back to their time. though i thought faraday was going to be involved in it. part of that is being realized, though it's looking more like the incident isn't going to be caused by them trying to get back to their time, as much as it will be the Losties causing the incident in the process of trying to stop the incident from happening. But regardless, i'm assuming that nothing that will happen will change the future, i refuse to accept Back to the Future time travel explanations.

But...Daniel's mentioning of people being the variables is NOT the first time this has been brought up. I talked about it some time back when discussing the Valenzetti Equation and The Numbers. And how the numbers are "human and environmental" variables and that the purpose of the dharma initiative was to change the numbers and save the world. Desmond has been talked about as something different as well. And so while i'm really opposed to the idea of changing things, there have been hints that it could occur at some point, and it's possible the show can figure out a way to pull it off, though after this week i'm really skeptical.

Faraday and time travel

first off, we were given definitive proof that Faraday DID have a memory problem brought on by his experiments. i remember talking about this last season. The whole bit when faraday put on the radiation protection and said Desmond didn't need it cause it was just once, and desmond said, "but what about your head"...i always thought that was an indication that he caused his own memory loss through over exposure to radiation. But there was a new twist added on this week. it came out that Theresa's condition was brought on by a specific time travel experiment that Faraday said he tested on himself first. Was that experiment successful? Because if it was...Faraday wouldn't remember it, and that's a big pool of possible happenings to draw from.

Why does Eloise send her son off to die?

possibility 1) he's not dead

possibility 2) she believes in "whatever happened, happened" as much as faraday. or even more likely, whatever happens after his death she views as integral importance to the Island, and like other characters always puts the Island first. Maybe she feels that whatever information is gotten from his journal, or whatever actions occur as a result of his death are so important to have happen that she's willing to sacrifice her son to make them happen. why are people so fanatically devoted to the Island? Is it the process of going in the temple and being otherized? or is there more?

[ May 06, 2009, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
So.... Locke wants to kill Jacob. The island and smoke monster are helping Locke. Does that mean the island is out to kill Jacob?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Come on Jack. You couldn't have possibly forgotten that Kate was on the plane as a prisoner going back to stand trial for the murder of her father. Of course she doesn't want to erase the last three years. Pull your head out and recognize that no matter how bad its been for you, this timeline is infinitely better for Kate than the one she'd anticipate following if the plane never crashed.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Jack Jacob?

That was my random thought last night.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

it'd be more interesting if Locke was Jacob. Then he'd have to kill himself.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just don't see where the hydrogen bomb detonation plot is going, so I was wildly speculating. [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we seen Richard and the Smoke Monster together?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Have we seen Richard and the Smoke Monster together?

Not that I recall.

Unless Richard is at acting ignorant when he is not, he knows quite a lot less than I had previously assumed.

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it'd be more interesting if Locke was Jacob. Then he'd have to kill himself.
It's also possible that Jacob is trying to kill himself... and Locke is helping.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Richard definitely knows more than he's letting on. My wild and crazy guess is that he's a kind of avatar for Anubis, the same god the smoke monster was talking to in the glyph.

And sorry if this has been repeated, but is it assumed that if the hydrogen bomb is set off, the survivors will all magically inhabit the bodies of their future selves? The seventies is their current present. Wouldn't they just.. you know... die?

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized last night that Locke is pretty much Christian Shepard at this point. He arrived in a coffin, woke up, and suddenly had this uncanny sense of what the island wanted him to do.

Perhaps there is a succession of Jacobs, and Christian is the current one. Locke is going to kill him to supplant him. And then someone will kill Locke. To what purpose, I have no idea, I'm making this up as I go [Smile]

Has Jacob been mentioned at all in the '70's era? I don't remember it if he has. Could it be that the incoming disaster creates him?

(I haven't been reading the whole thread, so I don't know if these suggestions have come up already ...)

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Jacob was mentioned back in the 50s.

I like Tres's suggestion the best. Jacob asked Locke to help him. Maybe killing him is the only way to help him, by freeing him from whatever is keeping him bound.

Richard has suddenly become ignorant and useless, and I don't like it one bit.

quote:
And sorry if this has been repeated, but is it assumed that if the hydrogen bomb is set off, the survivors will all magically inhabit the bodies of their future selves? The seventies is their current present. Wouldn't they just.. you know... die?
One of the many many things that pissed me off about last night's episode. i guess in their mind, if they detonate the bomb, then their plane never crashes, and they never time jump, and they can't be there to die when the bomb goes off. But then they also can't be there to set the bomb off. This is fundamentally why the "whatever happened, happened" philosophy makes more sense, anything else just becomes too convoluted and implausible.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Has Jacob been mentioned at all in the '70's era? I don't remember it if he has. Could it be that the incoming disaster creates him?
When Widmore complains that Richard took young Ben to the temple, Richard says "Jacob wanted it".
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Richard has suddenly become ignorant and useless, and I don't like it one bit.

quote:
One of the many many things that pissed me off about last night's episode. i guess in their mind, if they detonate the bomb, then their plane never crashes, and they never time jump, and they can't be there to die when the bomb goes off. But then they also can't be there to set the bomb off. This is fundamentally why the "whatever happened, happened" philosophy makes more sense, anything else just becomes too convoluted and implausible.
They could go on living while their future selves continue on without a crash. They'd be castaways in time, rather than on an island.

You people have been giving Richard far too much credit. The only foreknowledge he's ever displayed has been due to his having been told things by time travelers. The only thing special about him besides that is his longevity. But he isn't Lazarus Long. Not dying doesn't necessarily confer wisdom.

My guess is that Richard is some sort of priest. Maybe an ancient Egyptian priest, given the statue and the temple. So he's been blessed/cursed with eternal life, or life for as long as he needs in order to find some ultimate leader.

What I don't get is all the talk about how has "suddenly become ignorant".

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
But he isn't Lazarus Long.
We don't know that.
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
My guess is that Richard is some sort of priest. Maybe an ancient Egyptian priest, given the statue and the temple. So he's been blessed/cursed with eternal life, or life for as long as he needs in order to find some ultimate leader.

[ROFL] I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at a connection your words caused my brain to make. Has anyone around here seen the first season (the good one) of Jubei Chan The Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eye Patch? Well, the plot involves this legendary swordsman dying, and on his death bed he charges his loyal follower to not rest until he finds the swordsman's successor. Three hundred years later, the follower is living on will power alone because he MUST find the successor before he can ever rest and be at peace. So, yeah, I find your suggestion funny and also quite plausible in the Lost sphere as well!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
What I don't get is all the talk about how has "suddenly become ignorant".
It isn't that he has suddenly become ignorant, its that we have suddenly discovered it. Up until this episode, it seemed like Richard had all kinds of mysterious fore knowledge of events. But now it turns out the only things he ever knew were because John visited him in the past. Its sort of disappointing.
Strider
Member # 1807

yes.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
But he isn't Lazarus Long.
We don't know that.
Alpert sounds Jewish. Maybe he's the Wandering Jew?
The Reader
Member # 3636

I don't have much to add, except that it appears that Rose and Bernard will be back. L. Scott Caldwell and Sam Anderson are credited in the press release for the season finale (The Incident, parts 1 and 2).
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "We need to go back to see the Others again, we'd better bring guns" is ranking up there with "I'm going to not punch in the numbers and see what happens" in terms of epically bad decisions.

Oh, and is anyone else thinking, "Do we know for certain that it was drilling that released the power surge... And not, say, an atomic bomb?..."

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Oh, and is anyone else thinking, "Do we know for certain that it was drilling that released the power surge... And not, say, an atomic bomb?..."

Yes

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.