FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 14)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
If I take a hiatus from Hatrack, I fall behind in all the threads.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for February 28 is:

quaff \KWAHFF or KWAFF\ (verb)
intransitive sense : to drink deeply
transitive sense : to drink (a beverage) deeply

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
The dictionary is wrong. "Quaff" means 'toss beer towards mouth - most will probably miss'.

Drunk Norwegians are great quaffers.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
One must be careful to quaff in such a manner as to not spoil one coif.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 1 is:
conventicle \kun-VEN-tih-kul\ (noun)
1 : assembly, meeting
2 : an assembly of an irregular or unlawful character
3 : an assembly for religious worship
: especially, a secret meeting for worship not sanctioned by law

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The conventicle took place in the odeum until the town sheriff burned the place to the ground.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 2 is:

colubrine \KAHL-yuh-bryne or KAH-luh-bryne\ (adjective)
1 : of, relating to, or resembling a snake
2 : of or relating to a large cosmopolitan family (Colubridae) of chiefly nonvenomous snakes

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The line waiting for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was colubrine in nature, and at least twice the duration of any normal child's bladder control.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 3 is:
esplanade \ESS-pluh-nahd or ess-pluh-NAHD\ (noun)
: a level open stretch of paved or grassy ground
: especially, one designed for walking or driving along a shore

Human
Member # 2985

My house doesn't have an esplanade...all we have are rocks, hills, and crabgrass.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We'd want...another shrubbery! Placed neatly near this one with kind of an esplanade running between them... Nothing too expensive.

RabidMoose
Member # 3137

- posted      Profile for RabidMoose   Email RabidMoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Where there was formerly a beautiful esplanade, authorities have recently paved over the grass to install a highway
Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
March 4, 2002
Tardegy tar'djee n. deliberate mangling of a tragedy' An incident in which someone who clearly deserves to be selected out of the gene pool on grounds of extreme stupidity meets with a messy end. Coined on the Darwin list, which is dedicated to chronicling such incidents; but almost all hackers would instantly recognize the intention of the term and laugh.

[This message has been edited by BYuCnslr (edited March 03, 2002).]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 4 is:
succumb \suh-KUM\ (verb)
1 : to yield to superior strength or force or overpowering appeal or desire
2 : to be brought to an end (as death) by the effect of destructive or disruptive forces

Eryn
Member # 2190

- posted      Profile for Eryn   Email Eryn         Edit/Delete Post 
kamikazi and kowtow for March 4th. I'm not exactly sure what they mean *sry* but they sound cool.
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Although I can pound the pound cake, I will never succumb to that succubus of succulence that is Sara Lee.

Did I spell succulence right? succulance?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

And what's with the usurpers?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has succumbed to evil, as it had 666 posts before I posted.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I hereby succumb to the philomath in all of us.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 5 is:
flotsam • \FLAHT-sum\ • (noun)
1 : floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo
: broadly, floating debris
2 a : a floating population (as of emigrants or castaways)
b : an accumulation of miscellaneous or unimportant stuff

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
My apartement is just holding space for all the flotsam of my life.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max
Member # 3034

- posted      Profile for Max           Edit/Delete Post 
On the day of my birthday (today i'm 18) i realize my life is nothing but flotsam.

Maxdout

Posts: 201 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Among the flotsam of Roma that slowly worked itself across central Europe was a winsome lass, beautiful enough to fit the picture of a stereotypical gypsy girl and smart enough to know how to play upon that stereotype.

And that's how I lost 60 DM in Prague. But that's my weakness. You winsome, I flotsam.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

His religious education was like so much flotsam on the sea of his turbulent mind.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 6 is:
irrefragable \ih-REH-fruh-guh-bul or ear-ih-FRAG-uh-bul\ (adjective) 1 : impossible to refute
2 : impossible to break or alter

Max
Member # 3034

John Forbes Nash Jr.'s genius is irrefragable.

Maxdout

Posts: 201 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My post in the psych meds thread is irrefragable.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 7 is:
conversant \kun-VER-sunt\ (adjective)
: having knowledge or experience

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I am conversant with the use of the word irrefragable.

Max
Member # 3034

Gandolf is conversant, thats why he kicks ass.

Maxdout

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 8 is:
katzenjammer • \KAT-sun-jam-er\ • (noun)
1 : hangover
2 : distress
3 : a discordant clamor

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The early morning jack hammer threw off such a katzenjammer that by the time my alarm went off I felt like I had a serious, well, katzenjammer.

My other favorite word based on cats (Katze = cat in German) is caterwaul which has similar roots to katzenjammer.

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Caterwaul Kids" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 9 is:
Apollonian \ap-uh-LOH-nee-un\ (adjective)
1 : of, relating to, or resembling the god Apollo
2 : harmonious, measured, ordered, or balanced in character

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The artist thought his work was Appolonian, but the critics were universal in deploring its katzenjammer discordance. Needless to say, he became a huge commercial success.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 10 is:
assuage \uh-SWAYJ\ (verb)
1 : to lessen the intensity of (something that pains or distresses)
: ease
2 : pacify, quiet
3 : to put an end to by satisfying : appease, quench

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

After searching many places, the Dacian sky deity finally found a place that would assuage his thirst for modern discourse.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I took two Immodium and a Pepcid AC just to assuage the sausage that was attacking my stomach.

Human
Member # 2985

It takes a lot of flattery to assuage my bruised ego.
Max
Member # 3034

Seeing Time Machine once does not assuage my urge to see Guy Pearce naked.

Damn.

Maxdout

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for March 11 is:

indoctrinate \in-DAHK-truh-nayt\ (verb)
1 : to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments
: teach
2 : to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

Col.Graff
Member # 3175

- posted      Profile for Col.Graff   Email Col.Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom, being a teacher and seeing how much time I spend on this site, complains that I was not indoctinated with the english language in order to spend all my time on this site.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
my mother,a nurse, says "You do what i tell you or ill rip out your spleen."
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Once everyone has been properly indoctrinated, it will be far easier for me to follow with an occasional ukase or two.
Max
Member # 3034

Obi own (no idea how to spell it) indoctrinated Luke in the ways of lesbian love making.

Maxdout

Col.Graff
Member # 3175

Dobie seems to have not noticed that today is the 12th, so Ill help him out. I hope you dont mind Dobie.

--------------------------------------------

The Word of the Day for March 12 is:

deglutition • \dee-gloo-TIH-shun or deh-gloo-TIH-shun\ • (noun)
: the act or process of swallowing

[This message has been edited by Col.Graff (edited March 12, 2002).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max
Member # 3034

The deglutition of glue is a common hobby among kindergardeners.
Dobie
Member # 1130

It's fine with me.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

The previous post led to such a quick, hard deglutition on my part that I started coughing uncontrollably.

Usurpers are one thing, but for Dobie to capitulate? Now I'm left wondering what the *real* word of the day is.

Col.Graff
Member # 3175

I had gone through deglutition with a piece of paper with the real word of the day on it.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.