FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Word of the Day (Page 13)

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: Word of the Day
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to apologize for taking the next page's first post. My connection went down and I thought it'd lost my original post, so I hit submit again.

I hereby relinquish my claim to this spot in the posting order, and yield to the next person.

-Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob_Scopatz (edited February 11, 2002).]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

- posted      Profile for Dobie   Email Dobie         Edit/Delete Post 
The Word of the Day for February 12 is:

razzmatazz \raz-muh-TAZ\ (noun)
1 : a confusing or colorful often gaudy action or display : razzle-dazzle
2 : inflated, involved, and often deliberately ambiguous language
: double-talk
3 : vim, zing

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people go to Mardi Gras for the razzmatazz; others just like breasts.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
An attraction to razzmatazz is the human equivalent of monkeys' attraction to bright shiny objects.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 13 is:

immutable \im-MYOO-tuh-bul\ (adjective)
: not capable of or susceptible to change

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Despite numerous scrubbings, his fetor proved immutable.

Max
Member # 3034

- posted      Profile for Max           Edit/Delete Post 
My mother calls me immutable. But thats because she wants to redo the house in bad colors. Our study has light pink walls and forest green carpets. yuk.

Maxdout

Posts: 201 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 14 is:

scintillate \SIN-tul-ayt\ (verb)
1 : to emit sparks
: spark
2 : to emit quick flashes as if throwing off sparks
: sparkle
3 : to throw off as a spark or as sparkling flashes

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The nited sequins on his jacket scintillate.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 15 is:

transpire \tran-SPYRE\ (verb)
1 : to pass or give off (as water vapor) through pores or a membrane
2 : to become known
3 : to take place
: happen

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know - this thread, to me, says "dedication".
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In order for our business to transpire, we must cease to haver.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 16 is:

verbicide \VER-buh-syde\ (noun)
1 : deliberate distortion of the sense of a word (as in punning)
2 : one who distorts the sense of a word

Cedrios
Member # 1744

- posted      Profile for Cedrios   Email Cedrios         Edit/Delete Post 
Verbicide, that has to do with Bush's war on the terror of the english language, right?
Posts: 3592 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

As his brain continued to rot from untreated venereal disease, the man became a notorious verbicide.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 17 is:

jeunesse doree \zher-ness-dor-AY\ (noun)
: young people of wealth and fashion

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The jeunesse doree aboard the Andrea Doria escaped in a dory.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 18 is:

gargantuan \gar-GANT-shuh-wun\ (adjective)
: of tremendous size or volume
: gigantic, colossal

celia60
Member # 2039

This initially humble thread has reached the gargantuan size of 13 pages.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Not only gargantuan, it has become a sockdolager!

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 19 is:

kindred \KIN-drud\ (adjective)
1 : of a similar nature or character
: like
2 : of the same ancestry

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

He could only pontificate, while she would bloviate. They were kindred spirits.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 20 is:

nimiety \nih-MY-uh-tee\ (noun)
: excess, redundancy

celia60
Member # 2039

Despite the useless nimiety, we spent a week reviewing simple algebra; to make up for our lost week, we spent an hour on new material.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The nimiety of his machinations proved to be his watergate.

BTW, the phrase "useless nimiety" is a nimiety.

Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 21 is:

demean \dih-MEEN\ (verb)
: to conduct or behave (oneself) usually in a proper manner

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

demean is to conduct oneself in a proper manner? Wow! I've been demeaning myself my whole life.

Dobie
Member # 1130

I should point at that today's word, which is derived from the Middle French "demener" meaning "to conduct" is unrelated to the "demean" which is derived from the word "mean" and which means "to lower in character, status, or reputation".

Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I could reply to this, but to do so would be to demean myself...

Human

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 22 is:

intoxicate \in-TAHK-sih-kayt\ (verb)
1 : poison
2 : to excite or stupefy by alcohol or a drug especially to the point where physical and mental control is markedly diminished
3: to excite or elate to the point of enthusiasm or frenzy

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Watching her boss was intoxicating; the throttlebottom could turn any task into a monumental failure.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 23 is:

millefleur \meel-FLER\ (adjective)
: having an allover pattern of small flowers and plants

Human
Member # 2985

My mom owns a shirt with a millefleur pattern on it. I think.

Human

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 24 is:

non sequitur \NAHN-SEH-kwuh-ter\ (noun)
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from anything previously said

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

His donning of a millefleur cumberbund was almost a non-sequiter at the black tie affair.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, most hard-core surrealists will never know the joy of a well-done non sequitur. That's why for only $49.95 (plus shipping and handling, cod only), Zal will send you his handy guide _How to tell when it actually does have something to do with the price of tea in China_. Act now! No I mean it, act now!

<-----launches in to a scene from Lorca's _The House of Bernardo Alba_.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 25 is:

disputatious \diss-pyuh-TAY-shuss\ (adjective)
1 a : inclined to dispute
b : marked by disputation
2 : provoking debate
: controversial

Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
Somtimes I miss the disputatious people on hatrack
Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The disputatious impresario was left without company.

Human
Member # 2985

I am very disputatious.
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 26 is:

recrudescence \ree-kroo-DEH-sunss\ (noun)
: a new outbreak after a period of abatement or inactivity
: renewal

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
To the many of you who were hoping for a recrudescence of Zalmoxis postings on the word of the day thread, all I can say is: I'm sorry and gosh darn it I'll try to do better, but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen. You see, I've begun to lose faith in the ability of words to delight.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

With a resurgence of interest in Greek Tragedy among theater goers,has come an amazing recrudescence of the buskin among the fashion elite.

WmLambert
Member # 2509

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert         Edit/Delete Post 
On March 3 at 10 PM, MONICA LEWINSKY tells all in the "Monica in Black and White" recrudescence of the acclaimed HBO documentary series "America Undercover Sundays."
Posts: 836 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
You know it's love when a guy puts a girl's name in bold print.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobie
Member # 1130

The Word of the Day for February 27 is:

hiatus \hye-AY-tuss\ (noun)
1 : a break in or as if in a material object
: gap
2 : an interruption in time or continuity
: break

Max
Member # 3034

- posted      Profile for Max           Edit/Delete Post 
It is my hope that a hiatus in my life will lead me to a long vacation in Australia.

Maxdout

Posts: 201 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Snorri   Email Snorri         Edit/Delete Post 
After a longish hiatus, I've started posting again.
Posts: 394 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
After a long hiatus, he came up with another word, Cycludal.

It is a conjuction of Cyclops and Dudal, as in a really rockin' cyclops, or a dudacious one eyed monster. (cyclops)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

After an off-season hiatus, the dramaturg busied his pen in hopes of repeating last season's success.

This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.