FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did you see the rich girl get kicked off?
Boy was that great! Stupid rich people, thinking they should get something for just being rich...and then being disappointed because the poor masses didn't vote you through! Boy did we show them...we sure did...Who cares if she has a good voice, or if she tried her best. Her dad is a politician, we shouldn't even have to feel bad for her, in fact, we have a moral obligation to mock her sadness and disappointment... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the only reason Ayla got so emotional was that Ryan is no idiot. Most women will cry in the face of disappointment if you're sympathetic and caring when the news breaks. He did it on purpose, IMO to throw some emotion that none of the other ousted contestants had shown.

Overall, though, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Ayla would have been an early goner anyway. I feel like Melissa was really vindicated.

And I'm very happy Kevin is still in. I put him no higher than 8th, but I'm glad he's in the finals.

I'm hoping that Gedeon will go on to do gospel music. I'm betting he'll be phenomenal at it.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's why I can't watch the elimination episode.
A. Everybody Hates Chris is on.
B. I hate seeing them have to leave. It just breaks my heart.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or was Bo Bice's performance totally lackluster?

If any of you watched last season, his acapella (sp?) gave me chills he was so good and tonight? I could hardly tell it was the same person.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

It was okay. I thought that his notes toward the last were a little sharp, but my ear isn't that good and I have only heard the song once or twice so I could be wrong. Not much is going to match his acapella performance last season. (I used to have that performance on MP3 and .MOV, but didn't have it on backup, so when my harddrive toasted two weeks ago it went bye bye. [Frown] )

It was nice to see him, anyway, and I liked that Ryan actually talked with him. I liked Carrie's performance last week, but was disappointed that we didn't really hear anything from her, how her life has changed since winning, etc.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is it just me or was Bo Bice's performance totally lackluster?"

I thought it was lackluster as well, but I love the Boster.

He has been very ill. I wonder if that might have been why.

As for Ayla, I couldn't stand her, and it had nothing to do with her wealth.

However, I would LOVE to watch her play basketball. She has a killer instinct which feels much more comfortable to watch when it is in a competitive, cutthroat game like basketball.

I just don't like people like Ayla, but I have a whole boatload of respect for them.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
Boy was that great! Stupid rich people, thinking they should get something for just being rich...and then being disappointed because the poor masses didn't vote you through! Boy did we show them...we sure did...Who cares if she has a good voice, or if she tried her best. Her dad is a politician, we shouldn't even have to feel bad for her, in fact, we have a moral obligation to mock her sadness and disappointment... [Roll Eyes]

Wow, touchy much? I forgot I lived in an era where you can't describe people. Whether someone is tall or short, fat or thin, black or white, male or female, nice or mean, rich or poor, you'd better not use any of those adjectives to make clear who you're referring to, or it'll be automatically assumed that you hate them for being different.

So let me re-phrase my post:

Did you see that sentient entity get kicked off?

THT: What's wrong with being sentient? She should maybe be an inanimate object like his friends the rocks and dirt? Bleedin' anti-sentientite.

I guess I just can't win. [Roll Eyes] right back atcha.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
quote:

Wow, touchy much? I forgot I lived in an era where you can't describe people. Whether someone is tall or short, fat or thin, black or white, male or female, nice or mean, rich or poor, you'd better not use any of those adjectives to make clear who you're referring to, or it'll be automatically assumed that you hate them for being different.

THT: What's wrong with being sentient? She should maybe be an inanimate object like his friends the rocks and dirt? Bleedin' anti-sentientite.

Um...Baron...I think THT was being sarcastic. The " [Roll Eyes] " usually implies that.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor:
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
quote:

Um...Baron...I think THT was being sarcastic. The " [Roll Eyes] " usually implies that.
Obviously. Baron caught the sarcasm and thats what made him think that THT was being touchy.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone hate Kevin as much as I do? I HATE it when the show makes a big deal about how CUTE someone is, and how they look just like chicken little, and when paula makes some stupid remark about how he is the next sex symbol! They always do that to the dorky underdogs of the show, and because they did that to Kevin,
(the worst guy on the show) he is going to hang in there way too long while GOOD singers are being voted off.

American Idol is turning into a popularity contest and its driving me crazy.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

I honestly Kevin has a decent voice, but his lisp and his cockiness drive me crazy. I wish it had been him rather than Will last week.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Julia,

I have noticed a definite pattern in choices, and "The Kevin" fits into the "dorky guy who should not make it as far as he does" slot. There was the -ithchy girl. There was one last year, anf the year before(I have happily forgotten their names) Now, we have girly-looking-yet manly rock star with long hair(Constantine, Ace), and tough rock star guy with long or no hair(Bo, and the guy this year)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't noticed that Ace is particularly "girly-looking". Huh. Although I think he needs to lose the beanies.

But, yes, Kevin needs to go. As soon as possible.

And lets just say I was a little distressed when it looked there for a minute like Bucky might be going Thursday night. So he doesn't have the world's smoothest, most trained voice. I still like him.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

You like bucky? why? He's a Bo Bice wanna-be, only uglier, stupider, with a worse voice. Over all he's just crusty. I think he needs to go take a shower for once.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin's not so bad... he's a nice little cub.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

quote:
Kevin's not so bad... he's a nice little cub.
you see, synesthesia, thats what im trying to say. American Idol is just a popularity contest. It doesn't matter how good your voice is, as long as you're cute.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He's got a pretty good voice though.
Not as good as some of these other folks though.
He needs to grow up a bit more first I think.

But some of these women >.<

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Julia:
American Idol is just a popularity contest.

Um, yes, that would sort of be the point of the show...
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Julia:
You like bucky? why? He's a Bo Bice wanna-be, only uglier, stupider, with a worse voice. Over all he's just crusty. I think he needs to go take a shower for once.

Well, he seems like a genuine person, not like some prefab pop clone. As far as his voice goes, it may not be perfect, but it has character and is especially suited for country music, which I imagine is where he really wants to go with his music. Ugly? Well, I don't think so, but that's a subjective thing and I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, anyway. And I'm not sure what his intelligence has to do with anything, either, to be honest. But, hey, to each their own.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

ok. I suppose your right. I was being stupid and I'm sorry.
Julia
Member # 9244

Woh! and I just realized what i hypocrite I was being! I need a slap in the face!
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Okay, after last night, anyone here NOT think that Kevin is going tonight?

It's sad, but I laughed through his whole performance. He was so funny...that whole dance thing he was doing was uncannily like Bert's pidgeon dance from Sesame Street. I felt bad, and a bit guilty for being SO amused, but I was just dying watching him. If they ever do a live action version of Bert and Ernie using real people instead of muppets, Kevin should absolutely play Bert.

The really unfortunate part was that Kevin really does have a nice voice. I hope he goes into musical theater.

I liked the song Kellie sang. She was clearly uncomfortable with it, but I thought it was simple and pretty. I'd never heard it before, so that might have been part of it. No basis of comparison. The tarantula eyelashes comment made me laugh.

Favorite performances of the night: Chris and Bucky. I felt that both of them took the songs they got and really owned them.

addited: Oh, and I really liked Katherine's performance, but hated, really hated her dress. For a woman who was denying rumors last week that she was pregnant, she sure made a fashion choice to argue the denials.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mandisa sang one of my favorite Stevie songs ever and did it so well. Chris was definitely the stand out though (and I always love what Paris does.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The third dude did one of my favourite songs, Knocks me off my feet.
Love that song
Love it.
But Chris and Mandisa and Taylor bought down the house.

Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
It's sad, but I laughed through his whole performance. He was so funny...that whole dance thing he was doing was uncannily like Bert's pidgeon dance from Sesame Street. I felt bad, and a bit guilty for being SO amused, but I was just dying watching him. If they ever do a live action version of Bert and Ernie using real people instead of muppets, Kevin should absolutely play Bert.
Did you watch Jimmy Kimmel last night? He said, "so American Idol is more popular than ever and had thousands and thousands of applicants, and THIS MUPPET made the top 12?"

My gosh. The clip I saw of Kevin made me regret missing Idol last night, if only for the comic amusement of his routine. My bf didn't stop laughing for a full minute it was so unintentionally funny.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

[Laugh] No!! I don't watch Jimmy Kimmel. That's hysterical, and now I don't feel so bad getting that instant mental image.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
If Kevin is not voted off tonight, there is no justice in the world. I cannot believe he made it this far. I was so sad that Gedeon wasn't there to sing a Stevie Wonder song! [Frown] He would have been wonderful! Instead we got to hear chicken little make a fool of himself. The self-proclaimed sex symbol singing about being a part time lover...it was all too much! He's 16 and looks like he's 12, for crying out loud!

My roommates and I are worried for Elliot. We really like him, but he doesn't seem very popular. My roommates spent most of the two hours after the show last night voting for him in hopes they could keep him from getting kicked off before Kevin. I sometimes wish we could just vote for the people we want to get kicked off...it would be much easier.

It's so fun to get into this show! This is my first season watching it, and it really is a blast. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that Chicken Little is there and Gedeon is not.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kevin is actually developing an attitude problem. I wonder if he is actually believing this whole 'sex symbol' nonsense.

He had better be gone after tonight.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I predict either Kevin or Elliott will go tonight.

The young girls might keep Kevin around longer, who knows. My kids all like Ace (cause he's cute) Taylor (cause he's from Birmingham) and Mandisa (because she can sing). I agree with what was posted earlier, by the way - there is lots of things about Mandisa that are beautiful besides just her face. I thought she looked fantastic last night.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Jenny, I think Elliot's problem is mostly image. He's got an amazing voice -- and what better endorsement can you get than having Stevie Wonder say "You should definitely pursue this as a professional career."? I think he was the most glowing about Elliot's talent of all 12. The problem is that Elliot looks like Uncle Fester. Not quite that bad, but close. I was really hoping that the stylists would be able to do something with him, and perhaps they will in the coming weeks.

I like what they did with Taylor. His hair looked much better last night. I love the grey and I hope the stylists aren't serious about dyeing it. It would be like dyeing Richard Gere or George Clooney's hair. Sacrilege.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Taylor kind of looks like George Clooney. Anybody else see that?

I agree about Elliot, which makes me sad. He's one of my very favorite guys (with Chris and sometimes Taylor).

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Instead we got to hear chicken little make a fool of himself."

I think he did OK.
I think it is sad and pathetic that he has made it this far, only to be the (chicken) butt of so many jokes.

Did anyone else have an ad for the Chicken Little dvd? Egads. It made me feel so sad for him.

(he does look just like him. Oh, dear)

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

More like dying Dmitri Hvorostovsky's hair.
He's so cool.
Running around with white hair singing Baritone and being Russian. I like that guy.
Elliot sang that song I love so much, didn't he?
He had better not be voted off.
There was this girl, she's cute, but... I thought Simon had ear plugs on.
To me she sounded terrible!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I bet Kevin will be a Anthony Michael Hall type, where he looks like a total geek as a teen, but will turn into quite the looker as he puts age and weight on. It's almost a shame he made it this far this season. He'd probably have done MUCH better in his early 20s with some more seasoning.

(Brinestone, I'm with you on the Taylor-George look similarity. It's in the chin more than anything else.)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't see George. I see Michael McDonald in his earlier years, and I think he milks that a bit.

I love Taylor. He just makes me smile.

Eliiot does have a phenomenal voice.

Mandisa is still my pick, though. Man, does she have some moves. I don't think she'll win, but I want her to.

Kristen
Member # 9200

Kevin is safe. I am stunned. Just...wow.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But.. well... A cub singing part-time lovers?
No...

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Kev's still in [Big Grin]

I must admit, part of me is secretly rooting for him. And Taylor's too cool to be removed.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just disappointed Ace wasn't the one to go. Of the bottom three tonight - he was the worst. In my opinion, the guy can't sing.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, those two girls were definitely worse. I can't stand watching Ace sing with the flipping of the hair and the strange gyrations, but he does have a more consistent voice than the two girls that were up there with him tonight. If he goes before Kevin, I'll lose all my faith in the american public.

I think we'll lose Lisa next week (or whatever her name is that was in the bottom 3 last night) and Kevin will be close behind. I don't think we'll hang onto him that long. Just long enough to shock everyone into NOT voting for him with a vengeance in about 2 weeks.

I love Mandisa, Katherine, Paris, Chris, Taylor and Elliot. I hope we start to lose the spares soon. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My "I love" list is exactly like yours, Narnia. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kinda bored this week. I guess Stevie Wonder's music is just not my thing. It was a bit fun seeing what the different contestents would do with that genre though.

Taylor's moves seemed to be less spastic this week. I like him since he's from Alabama. His grandmother threw a viewing party for him in Gulf Shores on Tuesday night. I hear she will be doing it again on Tuesday. I bet she is one proud granny.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch American Idol, but did anyone else here see that Ryan Seacrest and Teri Hatcher are rumored to be dating? How lucky for him ...
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I was stunned that Kevin was *safe* and NOT one of the bottom three.

I was less stunned that Melissa was the one to go. Here's hoping Kevin goes next week. I admit to some ulterior motive in this hope...we'll go to see the Idol tour this year, provided there's a performance close enough, and only the top 10 go on tour. I'm not sure I'd really like to see Kevin in concert. [Smile]

It'll be interesting to see what genre they're doing next week.

seven
Member # 5367

I'm really upset that Lisa was in the bottom three. She's been my favorite ever since we first saw her.
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
seven, i was shocked about Lisa being in the bottom three too. She is really talented.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Even if her style isn't my favorite, Lisa is very talented and at the least, better than Kevin.

But it's just about that point where the good ones are going to be sent home as well as the weak ones.

hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If he goes before Kevin, I'll lose all my faith in the american public.
I could not agree more, Narnia. But I've felt that way every week since the top 24 started. Anytime someone else is kicked off, I think to myself that it should have been Kevin.

It almost seems to me like they're deliberately sabotaging Ace on the show. His performance Tuesday was better than several others, but since he was first (again) he was forgotten. And then when they lumped him together with Kevin in the recap yesterday, calling them both "the sex symbols", I right out yelled at the TV. I like Ace. He's not my favorite, but I feel a necessary bias toward him because he is from my home stake (Boulder, CO.). Yes, he was raised LDS. Don't know if he's still active though.

I cannot *believe* Kevin is still around! It's getting quite ridiculous. [Mad]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Ace was raised LDS? Wow, I didn't know that. Cool. No wonder he's so good looking.

I guess I start voting this week. Ace can't go next week. I don't mind losing Lisa, but by talent alone, she should make the top 6.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.