FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
We should all (hah, all 12 or so of us, but whatever) pick one talented person who might be in the bottom 3 to vote for next week in order to ensure Kevin, not Lisa or Ace, rightfully goes home.

After all, if he doesn't, he will be going on the Idol Tour.

Not like it matters too much. In a few weeks only the strongest shall remain...

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Provided that Ace has a good performance next week, I'm good with devoting my vote time to him. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt Ace will go home next week, or even be in the bottom three. I think the fact that he was this week will shock people into remembering to vote for him.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope so...the way everyone boo'd when it got announced would make it seem that way. There are about four of us in my apartment that vote like crazy every week for the ones we care about to hopefully make Kevin get kicked off...hasn't worked yet. First Gedeon got kicked off, and then Ace was in the bottom three. Doesn't seem like we really have done much good. [Dont Know] We're not giving up though!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you can vote for more than one person, and you can vote more than once for anyone?
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and yes. I've done both. (Am I really admitting to that? Yikes. [Wink] ) In fact, after the Ace debacle last night, Ryan made some kind of comment about making sure you vote for all the contestants that you support.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ace was raised LDS? Wow, I didn't know that. Cool. No wonder he's so good looking.

Ok jeniwren, you've got some 'splaining to do about that one... [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks Bucky needs to GO!?!

After the Fantasia fiasco, I decided not to take my voting lightly. Vote for Chris, Taylor, (insert name here,) even if you just think they'll do fine without your vote.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, I'm firmly of the opinion that LDS young people are better looking than the average non-LDS young person. [Big Grin] It's that clean-cut honest good living look.

Roseauthor, I'm surprised he's made it this far, but truth told, I think he's put in some very good performances given the limitations of his actual talent. He knows what kind of singer he is and he's sticking with what he's good at. This week's performance is a good example...he thoroughly countrified Superstition in a way that was true to the song but also true to his style. It was an excellent choice in what was for him a minefield of songs. He's playing the game very well.

I'm at a loss for why Kevin is still in it, though.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I still maintain that Bucky has an interesting voice. It isn't beautiful, sure, but that sort of raspiness that comes through sometimes has a lot of character. And goodness knows, there's a good number of folks who have had great success in the music business who can't actually sing. I certainly don't think Bucky will survive through till the end of the competition, because he really is a country artist and doesn't have the versatility of some of the others in the competition. But for now, I think there are others who need to go before he does. Kevin and most of the women come to mind.

I really enjoyed Bucky's performance of "Superstition", anyway, although it owed a lot more to Stevie Ray Vaughan's version than to Stevie Wonder's original.

Otherwise, I think Taylor's voice is growing on me, although I think he needs to quit giggling like a little girl and lose some of the Joe Cocker twitches he has. I like Chris's voice as well, but there's something about him that irritates me that I can't quite identify. I was really impressed with Ace's performance of "Father Figure", but otherwise I think he's riding more on his looks than his actual talent. Of the women, Mandisa and Paris are the only ones who have impressed me at all as having any real talent.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Littlemiss: I agree with your choices for females. They are my favs also!

And I will concede that his rendition of Superstition was great.. but they screwed up his hair terribly. I think he would have fared better on CMT's talent search show. He would have had more of a venue for his style and talent.. (maybe I would have liked him more on CMT) and yes, I like country music. Buckey just seems a bit ignorant and I usually have issues with character more than anything in talent shows.

I don't like Kellie for the same reason. She acts like an idiot. She does have talent singing, but I don't think we need another Jessica Simpson in the arena. I'm hyper critical of character.

I like Kevin as a person. However, I think he needs to be on Broadway! He just seems like that would be his 'place' in life. He's a cute kid, fun however, his voice seems like it belongs in musicals rather than as an idol.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
It isn't beautiful, sure, but that sort of raspiness that comes through sometimes has a lot of character.
Kurt Cobain, Louie Armstrong, Bob Dylan, etc.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
quote:
It isn't beautiful, sure, but that sort of raspiness that comes through sometimes has a lot of character.
Kurt Cobain, Louie Armstrong, Bob Dylan, etc.
Exactly. Neil Young comes to mind, as well.

Roseauthor...I do agree with you that Bucky's hair was a disaster on Tuesday. Poor guy, getting compared to Jessica Simpson. Ouch. However, I tend to think that his manner shows not so much ignorance as shyness. I could be wrong, but I know people like that, who come off in social situations as not that bright but who are only very shy. And it isn't all that unusual for shy people to end up as performers.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still maintain that Bucky has an interesting voice. It isn't beautiful, sure, but that sort of raspiness that comes through sometimes has a lot of character. And goodness knows, there's a good number of folks who have had great success in the music business who can't actually sing.
Yeah, and if Bucky can write music as well as Kurt Cobain, Neil Young or Tom Waits, he could probably do very well singing it himself. But if his vocal quality is his only musical talent, he'd better find another marketable skill pretty quickly.

Just my opinion. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, if I heard Ace on the radio, I'd turn it off. People only are voting for him for the sex appeal.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor needs to win this. Seriously. He's my hero.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Anybody see it tonight? I'm surprised this isn't on the front page yet.

I've got a couple of thoughts.

First off, yes, Chris is a good singer. Yes, he knows who he is and refuses to comprimise. But (even though I may get stoned for saying this) I think he's taking it a bit too far. I mean, when his versions of Fuel, Stevie Wonder and Johnny Cash sound exactly the same, maybe a little compromise wouldn't kill him. I like him a song at a time, but I can't imagine I'd ever have enough will power to make it through an entire album of his identical sounding performances.

Has anyone noticed that the harder Lisa tries to get into a song, the more phony and disconnected she feels? Of course, she's kind of got my pet peeve this year. Namely, I hate it when people come out on stage and demand that the audience get up and start dancing. If you to a performance like Taylor had tonight, people will start grooving because they can't help it. But it seems like the performers who have to command their audience to stand up and clap are performers who know that the only way people are even going to pretend to be entertained by them is under duress.

Katherine is getting to be one of my favorites. I didn't like the arrangement of her song tonight as much as I usually do, but she's one of the few performers that makes the beginning of her songs work just as well at the big note at the end. Most people can't hit the low notes, and sound like they didn't even bother practicing the verses because they spent all week preparing for their final scream. But Katherine has a great range, and she always starts out really strong and builds from there. Over the last couple weeks I've realized that I wouldn't mind seeing her win the competition.

That's all I can think about from this week. Did anyone else see it?

[ March 22, 2006, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

I really like Catherine, too. I'm starting to get excited about the girls now. I didn't watch the girls when they were separated, so I was stuck on the guys for a while, but tonight I started noticing the female talent.

My favorite girls:
1. Mandisa--I think she's my very favorite, and I'd love for her to win. Didn't she look gorgeous tonight? [Smile]
2. Paris--Of the young ones, I think she's the most believable, and her rendition of Fever was quite good tonight.
3. Catherine--She is just beautiful, and she's also talented.

My favorite boys:
1. Elliot--I think he's the most talented of the guys, and his only drawback is that he doesn't have the look. However, his looks have been improving every week. The consultants are doing a good job with him, I think.
2. Ace--He's got a bad rep because of his good looks, but I honestly think he's talented. His performance tonight was much improved, aside from his apparent nervousness (which is understandable, coming from the bottom three after being so popular at the outset). I think tonight's performance will be a confidence booster for him.
3. Chris--Sure his performances sound the same each week, but at least he knows what he's good at. And he's dang good at it. Plus he has the look, and I love the fact that he's a family guy.

Apparently I'm in the minority in not liking Taylor. He freaks me out. I think he's a spaz.

Oh, and of course, Chicken Little was terrible as ever...why is he still on the show?? [Mad]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

Taylor is still my favorite because he's not a fake or pretender. He is what he is.

Chris: still strong in his skill and I would like to see a ballad or something a little more diverse.

Kellie sucked as usual and I think it showed when she screwed up Patsy Cline! (I love Cline! and that was absolutely horrible!)

Cath is getting better.. agreed .. growing on me!

I thought Kevin was awesome this time! Great choice! Great performance.

Mandisa.. well.. she's always great.. professional.. she should have never needed AI! Reminds me a lot of Fantasia! She ownes!

the rest just sucked tonight! Including ACE! He was off key, not convincing, and .. to be honest, I've dated guys who sang better and had better performance on the stage!

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Chris reminds me of a guy I used to work with. When I started at this job, I was talking to one of my co-workers about music. He told me that he loved music and had a ton of CDs. "Cool", I thought, since I also love music and we get to listen to some in the background while we work. So I opened up his CD notebook and had a look around. I saw Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyk, DJ Micro, Tiesto, Sasha & Digweed, Armin Van Buuren, George Acosta... He had at least 100 CDs and every single one was an identical sounding DJ in the exact same genre of trance-techno.

Now I've got nothing serious against trance. The occasional album, if done well, can be quite enjoyable. But of all the brilliant music that has been made over the course of the past millenium, I couldn't believe the microscopic little corner of the world he'd found for himself. So I told him that before I quit working with him, I'd expand his horizons a little bit.

Between putting stuff on at work and loaning him some CDs from my collection, I gradually tried to open his mind. I tried some of the greatest albums of all time, Kind of Blue, Sgt. Pepper, Who's Next, Innervisions, The Joshua Tree, etc. No dice. So I went a little closer to his comfort level. I tried him on Moby, Morcheeba, The Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, Prodigy, Propellerheads. He didn't mind it, but he wasn't ever going to listen to it again. Finally I even tried Orbital, slightly different sounding than the club DJs, but one of the classic and genre-defining trance albums from the early '90s. It was too old for him. So finally I gave up and let him stick to his incredibly specific comfort level.

Chris reminds me of that. I get the feeling that every CD he owns, or isn't embarassed to own, is by people that occupy the exact same sub-sub-subgenre of music. And while it's not my favorite genre, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I just can't wrap my head around someone who's so willing to forsake all the mind-blowing musical diversity that exists and spend their entire life listening to Fuel, Staind and Nickelback.

It's like someone who refuses to go to Hawaii, Tokyo or Athens because they saw Bryce Canyon first and they won't leave the park.

Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Paris gave my favorite performance last night.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed Paris performing Fever??? [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I got addicted last week. I watched the second season of Idol but was able to get over it, the next two years were too busy. Last week I was at a family friend's house for spring break and forced to watch it, now I'm stuck.

I'm so glad large portions of hatrack don't like Kevin, I usually like geeky guys, but he bothers me. My favorites are Ace and Paris. I missed Mandisa last night, but I'm sure she was fabulous. I would like Kellie if she just sang and didn't talk about the pickles on the signs.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

Sigh. I've got a feeling that Bucky is probably going to be the one to go tonight. I don't think he did as bad a job as Simon seems to think he did, and his actual physical performance was my favorite that he's done so far. But he seemed nervous and it showed in his voice.

Of course who wouldn't be nervous, having to follow that wonderful performance by Mandisa. It did me good to hear Simon call her performance sexy after his nasty comments earlier about her weight.

In other observations...I hated Chris's performance. Ace was good. Taylor continues to grow on me, but I still have trouble watching his twitches. I'm still not that thrilled about any of the women except for Mandisa and Paris - the rest of them are all just sort of bland. And I don't care if Kevin's vocal was marginally better this week. He still needs to go.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I don't think Bucky's going. I think it's Lisa. She's an amazing talent, but she definitely showed her age last night in the pre and post performance interviewing. And I thought she would have been better off with a cleaner look. I didn't like the outfit she chose. But then, I think she's sort of like Kevin, in that her primary gift is not for pop, but for musical theater.

Kevin was better last night, and he made a smart move, I think, by losing the smart alec kid routine. And the silly sex-symbol gimmick. He played it innocent and a little backward, which I think fits with who he really is. I think he's sticking around like Scott Savol did last year. I could NOT figure out how he lasted so long last year, but when I saw him on stage during the Idol Tour, it became more obvious. He actually had quite a lot more stage presence than translated through the camera. I have to wonder a little if there's some of that for Kevin. No way to tell, but it looks like I'll be seeing him on stage later this year to find out. *shrug*

Mandisa gave the performance of the season, IMO. Simon's comments were right on target -- it was sexy, loved it. I also loved Katherine's performance. Beautiful dress, beautiful look overall.

I didn't like Taylor's performance on the first viewing, but watched again this morning while eating breakfast and changed my mind. It was just fun. Not my favorite of his, but it was good.

But, I'll say that my favorite performance was Chris's take on Walk the Line. It was different. I liked it mostly because his genre doesn't do anything for me, yet his rendition stayed with me and I was still hearing it this morning in the shower. He made the song his own, with meaning for his particular situation as a husband away from his family. I really liked it.

So, my bottom three tonight: Lisa, Elliot, and Bucky. With Lisa leaving.

seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little disappointed at how many people support Paris so much. She's cute, and she's got a good voice, but they all do. She's nothing special. She deserves to be on the show, but she shouldn't win.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandisa was absolutely incredible. If her performance was not the first one, I don't think there would be a question in anyone's mind that she blew every single one of the others away.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite: Paris, Katherine, Mandisa

Least favorite: Kevin, Bucky, Lisa. Bucky needs to go.

I wish people didn't think Ace was cute cause I really don't like him. Can't stand gayish vain boys.

Oh, and Paris IS something special. She's amazing. Especially in a compitition against Bucky, Kevin, and Pickler

[ March 22, 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Julia ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good-bye, Kevin.

I must say that his farewell speech was the most classy I have ever heard from a contestant. I will miss the little guy(who is bigger than Seacrest).

However, I think the voting has gone the way it should so far, the first time I have thought that.

Mandisa is so far outside of the group that to me she is a clear winner already. I doubt she will win, though.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I don't know when I've ever been so glad to be wrong. [Smile]

I didn't realize that Kevin was bigger than Ryan until tonight. He's bigger than he looks. I am looking forward to seeing what he looks like when he's 25.

I wonder what the theme will be next week? I liked the 50's theme...wasn't so enamored of the Stevie Wonder theme.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 21st century music, they said it at the end of the episode.

I'm not sure I'll watch (it'll be on against Gilmore girls!).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of sad to see Kevin go, since last week probably was his best performance, but we all knew he would be leaving sooner rather than later.

I'll have to say this week was one of the better shows for most of the contestants. Barry Manilow must really be a good coach. It was interesting watching him teach them how to arrange the songs.

Bucky needs to leave next. I agree Ace is getting by on looks. I know Elliot can sing, but for some reason I just don’t like him, doesn’t seem to feel the music. The opposite of Taylor who sings pretty well, but really gets by on his personality. Mandisa was awesome this week again and she really did look great.

Chris should be able to pick something right up his alley this week. Lots of alternative rock to choose from in the 21st century. It will be interesting to see how Taylor will do with something modern.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Carver, could Elliot not being able to feel the music be because he is deaf in one ear? I like him, but he's not my absolute favorite. Ace is (for the guys) and that likely could be the looks thing, but maybe not just that. I also really like Chris.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I don't think it has to do with his hearing. He obviously can hear well enough or he wouldn't be able to sing so well. I think he seems a little mechanical, not nearly as bad as the basketball girl was though. Needs more soul.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Chris should be able to pick something right up his alley this week. Lots of alternative rock to choose from in the 21st century.

Not necessarily. Unless I misheard, the theme next week will be the Top Ten of the 21st century. Which seems to imply ten specific songs, for the ten contestants who are left in the competition, and not a lot of choice to be made. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me. Anyway, I think Chris needs to be shoved out of his comfort zone so we can see exactly how he copes with that. And, yes, I think it will be interesting to see how Taylor copes with something modern.

Yeah. As much as I like Bucky, he's going to need to up his game or he won't be there much longer. I'm not sure that next week's theme will help him out a lot. But, I'm still of the opinion that they need to weed some of the women out of there. With the exception of those I named earlier (Mandisa and Paris), there just doesn't seem to be any there there among the female contestants. Too bad that Pink's "Stupid Girls" probably isn't one of the top ten of the 21st century - I'd like to see one of the women see if they can tackle that one and give it a credible reading.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

I think top 10's of the 21st century would mean any song that was on the top 10 list during the 21st century. So you probably could see Pink's song, although I don't know if anyone will pick it.

They have been trying to shove Chris out of his comfort zone the past two weeks and he just rewrites the songs in his style. It take a totally different type of talent to be able to sucessfully do that.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
They have been trying to shove Chris out of his comfort zone the past two weeks and he just rewrites the songs in his style. It take a totally different type of talent to be able to sucessfully do that.

Yes, but it does raise a question: Is he putting the songs in a style consistent with the music he likes because he is so good at it, or is he doing so because he doesn't have the range to do anything else? Not that it isn't a valid tactic; others have done the same thing, this season and in seasons past. But it seems like he isn't getting called on it in the same way and to the same degree others are.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

He probably doesn't have that much of a range, but there have been plenty of singers who have had nice careers without much variety. Eddie Vedder, comes to mind. Of course he could write good songs.

I don't think Chris is getting called on it because he is doing such a good job of changing them up to fit his style. Unlike say Constantine last year who tried but wasn't as good, in my opinion.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Admittedly I have not read the rest of this thread (so don't flame me if you all love him) but I am SO glad that Kevin was kicked off last night. He was horrible and every week I just couldn't figure out why they loved him so much. Ugh!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

My whole apartment screamed in glee when he got kicked off. [Big Grin] I was beginning to think there was no justice in the world.

[Party]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I suspect that the only reason Kevin was not off last week was that the fine fans of votefortheworst.com were using dialidol.com, which I understand was not working this week due to a cease and desist order from Fox. Interesting articles on dialidol.com. I guess the guy got tired of dialing by hand so he invented a computer based speed dialer. Then he made it available to other Idol fans...while recording the number of busy signals encountered in voting. One article I read said that at least 13,000 votes came from dialidol. The cease and desist comes in because the guy then used the busy signal stats to post a best-guess prediction for who got the least number of votes. In some cases, his database was right on...but last week was dead wrong: Elliott got the least number of busy signal answers.

Whatever the reason, I think that kind of hightechness (and contrariness in the case of votefortheworst.com, who are now backing Kellie Pickler -- a move that makes little sense to me when Bucky is still in the game) takes the fun out of it. I started voting this week and found that busy signals were common in the first few minutes of voting, but half an hour later, I got through with every call I placed.

hansenj
Member # 4034

eww...I don't like Kellie Pickler. I think that votefortheworst.com is funny, even if it's rather infuriating.
Kristen
Member # 9200

My opinion of the Idol contestants haven't really changed (Mandisa, Chris, Taylor, and Paris are strong favorites), but I was excited to recognize so many of their songs from this week.

Also, I'm not a major fan of Barry Manilow, but I was really impressed with his thoughtful advice for the contestants. Perhaps this is my classical music training bias, but I usually assume pop music icons don't have the technical knowledge behind their talent (as many don't even write their lyrics!). He seemed to really know what he was doing.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: This was snarky and I regretted posting it almost at once. Sorry!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

I just read an article on Chris' performance last week. I guess there's a bit of a stir caused by the fact that the version of the Johnny Cash song he did wasn't his own, but a note-for-note copy of Live's cover of the same song.

So I guess the thing that makes Chris remarkable isn't so much that he's true to his vision and refuses to compromise as that he has a huge and homogenous CD collection with some conveniently diverse cover songs.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Anyone see this tonight?

I wasn't that impressed really with any of them. Most of the people in that competition need to maybe read this thread. If they can't sing original songs, the least they can do to show some talent is do versions of songs that don't sound exactly like the original.

I thought it was funny that Chris had his little dialogue about the Live cover from last week like he'd been crediting them all along. And I liked how Simon finally called him on sounding the exact same every week. Simon was fairly dead-on tonight in general, IMHO.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or is Katharine really not that good?
Sure she's cute, but I didn't like her performance at all. She did these voice things.
But the usual people tore down the house.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

I liked Taylor the best by far tonight. I wasn't crazy about his song, but his voice is just so good and soulful.

Syn: Well, she did a Christina Ag song, and no offense if you like Xtina, but I don't think she's exactly a paragon of vocal ability. Katharine seems to adapt her voice to what she's singing--for better or for worse.

And yes Baron, wasn't impressed either. Just because it was current music didn't mean it was "pick your favorite song" night and I think most of the contestants missed that.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought everyone but Taylor generally stank tonight. Maybe it was a tribute to the departed Kevin Covais?

I was a Katharine fan early on but I didn't like her this week. I also don't like Christina so maybe that is part of it. I thought Bucky was better this week but he still should be in the bottom three. Ace is my vote to get the boot.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Katharine was better this week then I've ever seen her. She usually looks and acts so incredibly fake that I can't stand her. Tonight it was like she was actually being herself.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.