FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happily surprised with the results show. It seems like this year has a lot more ambiguity over who the frontrunners are. It should make for an interesting last few weeks.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think they just ran out of time...it was just as well, though, I didn't really want to hear her song again. [Razz]

It's amazing! America agreed with me this week! The top two (Chris and Katharine) would be my picks to be the final two at this point. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they say what next week's theme is? I missed the first five minutes and then was distracted the rest of the time.

The results were surprisingly just this week. Kellie deserved to go.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried about Paris though. I'm not ready for her to get the boot. But I really like the rest of them, so I guess it's crunch time now. I'm so proud that Eliot is still in the running. Good for him! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hear the theme so I looked ath the website, here's what they said
quote:
Now, Tuesday at 8/7c the Final 5 will be performing two songs each – one from the year they were born and any song from this week’s Top 10 Billboard Charts. Then, come back for the results Wednesday 9/8c.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm probably insane. But does anyone else think Simon is the hottest guy on the show?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You are insane, and I have strange tastes, but I agree.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my first episode of this show last week.

I love Paris. She's beautiful, and she has the most amazing voice. I don't know why people don't like her. [Frown]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina: I agree, I love Paris' voice. She can act kind of immature and showy (she is, after all, seventeen) and I think that may turn off some viewers who vote based on personalty.

Also, I can honestly say that at this point I think all of them deserve to be where they are and I would be happy if any of them won. They are all so talented. I really hope their tour comes to Chicago at a convenient time this summer.

That being said, I'm still a Taylor fan.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
MSNBC is doing a vote where you have to rank the five idols. This is the results I got after I voted. I thought it was interesting. I was surprised at Katharine's strong shown but happy because I am really starting to like her more. I thought it was interesting that Elliot didn't make the top three in any position. I assume that means his votes were just completely spread out. That makes sense to me. I think he is a good singer but he bores me so I can see him anywhere from the top three to last. It looks like Paris might be in for a rough week next week.

RANKING SINGER

1. 'Idol' winner 1. Chris Daughtry ( 46% )
2. Katharine McPhee ( 29% )
3. Taylor Hicks ( 15% )

2. 'Idol' runnerup 1. Katharine McPhee ( 31% )
2. Chris Daughtry ( 28% )
3. Taylor Hicks ( 21% )

3. Third best 1. Taylor Hicks ( 28% )
2. Katharine McPhee ( 19% )
3. Chris Daughtry ( 14% )

4. Fourth best 1. Paris Bennett ( 22% )
2. Taylor Hicks ( 19% )
3. Katharine McPhee ( 13% )

5. Fifth best 1. Paris Bennett ( 33% )
2. Taylor Hicks ( 12% )
3. Katharine McPhee ( 8% )

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Interesting that Elliot didn't make *any* of the top three choices for first, second, third, fourth OR fifth.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

I'm surprised at how many people think Chris will win.

Also, Taylor got strong showing in almost every category!

Yeah, poor Paris. I shall be voting for her next week assuming she doesn't do that Beyonce thing again.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm going to vote for Paris and Elliot like a mad woman next week. One of them is bound to go, but I just don't want them to. Honestly, I'd like to see Chris go next. I don't think he should win and IMO, he's been the least consistent of the 5 now standing.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Kellie was the primary reason we quit watching AI religiously. I couldn't stand the fact that a talentless dingbat could last soooo dern long!

I think judging needs to change! 30% judges and 70% voters. This might balance things out.

Next week will be more enjoyable for me now that Kellie is finally gone!

And Paula needs someone to do an intervention! She's getting to a point of being obnoxious now.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That MSNBC page also has something about how all the American Idol winners so far (from past seasons) have been from the South.

I had never even thought about/realized that!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I looked at the billboard top ten list, I don't know any of the songs, and only one of the groups (red hot chili peppers).
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
so whos going home tommorow? 95% it will be paris or eliot, but I couldnt say which... I would say 60-40 eliot goes home. what are your thoughts? I was worried about Katherine after the first song, but her 2nd song will pull her through... It was so wierd, but I actually really loved it.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn
I forgot to vote! I don't want Taylor to go home! Or Elliot.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Syn: I tried voting for Taylor, but both lines were busy, so I assume he was doing fine.

My opinion: Please never have the "Year They Were Born" theme again.

Elliott: I thought he sounded lovely in both of his songs, but Simon is right--they were bland and might not have even oomph to carry him to the next rounds.

Paris: The first song was bad and the second was a bad Mary J. Blige imitation. I love the texture and sound of Paris' voice, but I don't think she would make an album I would like and I think her fans are beginning to realize that.

Chris: The first song was amazing. The second was average, but he did lose his voice.

Katharine: I thought she did better than Elliott and Paris, but worse than Chris with the first song, and the second song was great. I also felt like her personality shone threw last night, which could pick up some of the Kellie voters.

Taylor: "Play that funky music white boy"? But I loved the Beatles cover.

Going home: Paris
Bottom Two: Elliott

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Katharine might win, if only because nobody seems to dislike her.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

How did Taylor get away with a Beatles tune last night? Weird. Katherine's second song knocked me out. I loved it!!

It really is song choices that are making this talented group look really mediocre. I wish they'd have a week when someone with years of experience would pick a song for each of them. That would be great. [Smile]

I'm afraid it's Paris this week. Makes me sad, but her inexperience shows with her song choices. I'm glad she's got so long to go. I'll buy her album when she gets a record deal...and I have no doubt she'll get a record deal. I'm proud that Eliot has made it so far. He's played it safe and sounded delightful and velvety every time. My prediction:

This week: Paris
Next week: Eliot
Week 3: Taylor
Week 4: Katherine
Chris wins.

What I really want to happen:

This week: Chris (He has pitch problems on every song I've heard him sing. I'm not convinced.)
Next week: Taylor
Week 3: Eliot
Week 4: Paris
Katherine wins

I really think that's a good breakdown of the raw talent we're dealing with, and the consistency with which they've all performed. I'm not dumb enough to think I'll get what I want. I think it's going to be more like my first prediction.

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
How did Taylor get away with a Beatles tune last night?

The only thing I can figure is that someone did a cover of "Something" that came out the year he was born (since that was the criteria for song selection this week). Other than that, who knows?

I really would like to see Taylor or Elliot win at this point. I don't like Chris just on general pricniples, and I don't like either of the women enough to want them to win - although I do like Paris's voice.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

No it wasn't about the year he was born, it was about what's on the bilboard charts this week. And I think it was on Let It Be Naked or a George Harrison memory album, I don't really have the time to look on all the charts to figure out how Something is there.

I'd like to see Paris go tonight, Taylor next week, Elliot the next, then Katherine and Chris are a tossup for me. His first performance was amazing and her second was.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
How did Taylor get away with a Beatles tune last night? Weird.

They let them choose something from any Billboard top 10 they could find this week. Taylor apparently did some serious digging and found this.

Incidentally, I'm glad he did. I liked his first song, but I was absolutely blown away by the second one. Of course, it helps that it's one of the best songs ever to begin with. But Taylor did an absolutely brilliant performance. He was able to show his own personality and make it unique without squashing the brilliance of the original. It was an excellent example of how a cover song should be done. Of all the years I've watched this show and all the performers I've admired, that was the first song I'd actually literally be willing to pay money for. He's been kind of struggling for a few weeks, but that performance redeemed him 100% in my book.

Katherine's second song was awesome too. I wouldn't buy that one, but I loved watching it. It's a good thing, too... she had a real Kelly Pickler moment on her first song. But if I were a record exec, I'd be tempted to sign her just on the strength of her second song. The last two songs were the best of the night (and of most other nights) in my opinion.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh wow, just 1. I bought 1 four years ago. I liked the song most of the way then near the end he did something that bothered me. Maybe I care too much about the Harrison Beatles songs.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Well, he did have to edit it for time, which forced an awkward ending. But if he had time to let the song breathe and did it the same way it'd be perfect.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Maybe. Maybe I'm just not a fan (though that was my favorite performance of his ever).
Kristen
Member # 9200

Dial Idol has Paris in last spot, but, surprisingly, Katharine in the bottom two as well and within the margin of error to be in last.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I saw that, it seems weird that Katherine is down there. I'd much rather Paris left, and I like Paris.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh, I'll be really sad if Katherine goes this week. [Frown]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think she will, but I didn't think Mandisa would either.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
Dial Idol has Paris in last spot, but, surprisingly, Katharine in the bottom two as well and within the margin of error to be in last.

I was going to mention that, but I thought it might deserve a

*********SPOILER ALERT**************

[Wink]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I was kind of distracted last night while watching, so I don't think I had much of a strong impression of anyone, except the following:

I loved Chris's first song. He did it so well it reminded me why I thought he might win in the first place. I'd forgotten.

I loved both of Taylor's performances. They both made me laugh out loud. I think his concerts would just be pure fun, even if the music isn't what you normally listen to.

I admired Paris's guts for doing Prince, and liked the performance fine, but it didn't make me stand up and go 'THAT is an American Idol.'. She really should stick with the jazz standards. She makes me love that style of music.

Didn't love Kat's first performance, but loved her second song. I've never heard it before, but the song was great for her, and the way she performed it was WOW. I loved it.

Elliot is so good...but I just don't get excited about him at all. Oh well.

For me, I'd like to see the remainder of the season go:

This week:Paris
Next:Elliot
After that:Chris
and then I don't care who wins, Katherine or Taylor. Either would make me happy.

Kristen
Member # 9200

Baron: Interesting point. Do we want a spoiler alert for dialidol postings or is that just part of the guessing game? I personally would check it anyway so I don't mind.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with jeniwren except that I think it will be between Chris and Katherine (even though I much prefer Taylor to the type of music Chris sings.)

The problem that I see with Taylor is that he is a better live performer IMO and I don't see myself buying one of his records to listen to. I'd go see him perform somewhere in a heart beat. Also, if AI were about likeability alone, I'd choose Taylor as he is my personal fav.

I think Chris and Katherine have the best chances to really have a successful recording career and if I have to choose, I'd probably pick Katherine. She is young enough but not too young, she's attractive and has a great voice. A complete package.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Chris demonstrated last night that he couldn't possibly handle a 90 minute concert (even with some breaks) singing the way he sings. I guess he'd have to build up callouses on his vocal folds (which most rock singers have done actually.)
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Bye bye princess P.

She'll still get contracts.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Absolutely. She's an awfully gifted performer. Her only difficulty in the contest was her age, I think. If she does a jazz standards album, I'll buy it.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'll buy pretty much anything she does on a good label, meaning anything she does with the help of some good producers and mentors. I know it'll be good.

I was pretty sure she was going, but I'm sad that it's taken the predictable turn. I don't see Eliot making another week and I just love love LOVE his voice. So much more than Taylor's. [Frown]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, who got elimanated? Not paris... She's really good [Frown]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, Paris.

And I agree with Narnia, I like Elliot.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*groan*
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

She'll still sell albums.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Elvis Night wasn't as bad as I thought.

My opinions (which will be brief as I have 2 minutes of battery power left):

Taylor: Solid for him, but I'm not sure it will rouse voters on the fence about him.
Elliott: Loved the first song, thought the second was wrong for his voice.
Chris: Loved the first song, hated the second.
Katharine: Really a rough night for her.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm not sure who I want to leave, or who I think will leave. I"d like it to be Taylor leaving, but I'm pretty sure America isn't going to do that.

Elvis oozes masculinity (I had this convo with my mom last week when we saw Bye Bye Birdie), it's very hard for a girl to sing him, and honestly Katherine did a better job than any of the other girls this season would have done, with the possible exception of Mandisa.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

No Taylor leaving. I like him.

I forgot to vote again. I tried, but it was busy.
Katharine keeps doing those Celine Diony inflections.
I hate that...
Why can't folks sing subtle instead of screaming through a frigging ballad?
Drives me nuts... No one wants to be scared out of their wits by capital lettered singing.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I wanted Kat to go head to head with Taylor at the last, but if anyone deserved to go on this week, it was Elliot. He got my votes tonight. And it was busy more often than not. So I wonder.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandisa would have nailed Elvis.

So to speak.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Razz]

I voted like crazy for Elliot just cause I like him a lot. I'm terribly afraid for Katherine though, and I do think it was rather unfair to have Elvis night when there was only one girl in the mix.

Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
No one wants to be scared out of their wits by capital lettered singing.
[ROFL]

I voted for Taylor like crazy, but it was busy all night, which is most likely a good sign.

I really think Katherine is going home, which is sad because she's talented and Elvis week was difficult for her, but Chris, Elliot, and Taylor are amazingly talented too. I agreed with Randy's initial statement that a boy will win and I still do.

(Also, I would be kinda surprised if one of the two people dial idol predicted to go home got the lowest votes)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.