FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, for all everyone hates Kelli because she's ditzy. She's probably my favorite because she's ditzy. She just says whatever comes into her head and doesn't care what she sounds like, she's just herself.

I think a lot of people think that the only reason a girl acts ditzy is because she thinks people will like her better for it. Leaving aside the fact that that's obviously not true, sometimes it's just fun to say whatever you want and not worry about impressing other people.

I totally relate to Kelli.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] And not just because I predicted her to stay to the finals! I really enjoyed her singing.

But www.dialidol.com did get it right.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I really thought it would be the group with Ace and then Katherine would go home.

Mandisa wow.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT HER!

SEE! That's the very reason why I don't like WATCHING the eliminations. She's one of my favourites...
arrrrrrrrrrrg! [Mad]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear.
Glad I was watching Lost.
Still, in a way, she is too good for American Idol.
I know that sounds like a copout, but...

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Liz, she's a different kind of star. She'll still make it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Wasn't it so sad that she (and the others) had to sing their losing song for the final time?

With Mandisa, I especially noticed it. She should have gone out with one of her 'diva' songs, on a high note (literally har har).

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Wow, I expected her to win.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I expected her to be top 5. Are any of you voting? I never voted for her, figuring I didn't need to.

[Frown] She'll do well in any case. She got her start and is nationally known now. She could record a gospel album immediately and sell decently.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
well, now that Mandisa is gone I think that Katherine will go to at least final 3... she is the best vocalist left in the competition, so unless she blows it she should steal nearly all of Mandisa's votes. Next week I predict Bucky will go... Queen songs are hard to sing lightly which is when he sounds good... but when he has to sing out he always goes sharp... I think it will take a lot to keep him in this next week.
-dab

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] So depressing! But I agree with all that Mandisa has a great career ahead of her anyway.

I love Catherine! I swear I like her more each week. She is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It really surprised me that Ace wasn't in the bottom three, though. I'm glad he's still around, but I wonder how much longer he'll last.

And I disagree about Kellie. I really think she's not all that talented. I can hardly handle listening to her voice (granted I don't like country, but there are plenty of country singers that I can tolerate). Plus, did anyone else notice her freaky eyebrow aerobics on Tuesday? *shudder*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand Ace, but I must admit that he has one of the most fitting voices to attempt a Queen song.

He may actually do a good job on a song like "Somebody to Love" or "Killer Queen".

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandisa already has a lot of success. She tours with some big Christian group that does speakings and conferences - maybe it's Beth Moore? Not sure, but at any rate, she was already a professional performer before this and she'll continue to do well.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve writes:

"You know, for all everyone hates Kelli because she's ditzy. She's probably my favorite because she's ditzy. She just says whatever comes into her head and doesn't care what she sounds like, she's just herself."

My wife believes that this isn't really herself or rather that it's part of her personality, but that doing this is a calculate, perhaps even coached, effort on her part.

--------
Mandisa has already had a lot of success and will continue to do well, but this also means that we won't be able to see her on national broadcast TV anymore.

Not that I have cause to complain. I don't watch it every week (and I certainly skipped last Tuesday's show -- country ain't my thing) and I think the only time I even attempted to vote was one time for Fantasia, but I didn't get through on the first try and lost interest and quit.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There is a sacred steel band called The Campbell Brothers. I could see Mandisa doing music like theirs, which is sort of gospel-rock.
http://www.campbellbrothers.com/

The woman(a cousin to the brothers) has a strong voice like Mandisa's, and her joy shines through the same way.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
blacwolve writes:

My wife believes that this isn't really herself or rather that it's part of her personality, but that doing this is a calculate, perhaps even coached, effort on her part.

I hear this all the time, about me, about friends of mine. I don't really believe it's any more true for Kelli than it is for us.
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be the same without Mandisa. [Frown]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It wont..
What if Taylor and Christ ar next? *Weep*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I could do without Chris and Ace. Neither have impressed me in the last 2 weeks or so.

I was AMAZED that Paris was in the bottom 3 this week. I think Elliot or Bucky are next to go unless someone else just sounds really really bad doing Queen.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Did you notice how Paris just skipped back to the 'safe' people without even hugging or giving supportive looks to Mandisa or Elliot? I'm not saying she's a bad person--just sometimes acts her age [Roll Eyes]

Syn: Taylor can't go! Don't even bring up the possibility.
[No No]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Maybe I don't really like Kellie because she acts too much like me [Dont Know]
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

As long as they keep Katherine McPhee, I'll continue to be happy.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

So, since there are evidently Queen fans on Hatrack, what songs would you choose for the remaining 8? What do you want to hear them sing?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
So, since there are evidently Queen fans on Hatrack, what songs would you choose for the remaining 8? What do you want to hear them sing?
Ace sing "Killer Queen" or "Somebody to Love"
Katherine - "Save Me"
Taylor - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"
Elliot - "Pressure"
Bucky - "We Will Rock You"
Kellie - "Play The Game"
Paris - "Don't Stop Me Now"
Chris - "We Are The Champions"

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
The highlight of American Idol, that is not meant to be, would have been if Mandisa did not get voted off and sang "Flat Bottom Girls."

I think she could have pulled it off flawlessly and non-offensively, and EVERYONE would have loved it.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I still want someone to do Bicycle Race.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh crapola...I just looked up the lyrics and it is "Fat" bottom girls. I always thought it was "flat." *mumbles off by himself* [Grumble]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

From listening to the snippets on Amazon.com...I'm not a Queen fan, so that's the best I can do:

Bucky: I Want It All
Paris: Don't Stop Me Now
Ace: Somebody to Love
Chris: Stone Cold Crazy
Taylor: Killer Queen
Kellie: The Show Must Go On
Katherine: Who Wants To Live Forever
Elliott: You're My Best Friend

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Here's a list of the ones that "people my age" know, meaning what might be more popular in the 16-21 bracket which Idol has several of.

Bohemian Rhapsody
We Will rock You
We Are the Champions
Fat Bottomed Girls
and Bicycle Race (ok maybe that's just me)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I thought Fat Bottomed Girls was Cake...
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have a Cake cover of Fat Bottomed Girls, I think that is blasphemy against Cake. Just think about the ranges! John (however you spell his last name) is a Bass, while Freddy Mercury is a ridiculous Tenor. It's just not logical. [Smile]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I certainly don't know enough about either group to know what ranges the lead singers are...

I just recall being told it was Cake. And I mean, wasn't Queen gay? Or am I just totally confused? I think I'll look them up on Wikipedia.

Edit: I just read about Queen on Wikipedia (the CAKE article is tiny). Someone just told me they were gay, and I assume whoever told me just assumed that because the lead singer died of AIDs. Which makes me rather angry, actually. Now I'm going to go to a friend's apartment and listen to some Queen and CAKE songs.

[ April 08, 2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think that's the only reason, as I've heard more than once that several people (other than Freddie Mercury) in Queen were gay. And I'm sure i've had this discussion with your brother. Probably after some discussion of Bicycle Race.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want Taylor to do "Fat Bottom Girls. I think it would fit his style and would like to see him do it.

I hope no one does "Bohemian Rhapsody" I think that song has been way over played.

I figure one of the country duo will do "crazy little thing called love."

Maybe Chris could bring something new to "We will rock you" /"we are the champions"

Elliot could do a decent "you're my best friend"

I bet Bucky does "Another one bites the dust"

I have no idea what Paris will do, but one of the girls will do "someone to love"

Anyway it should be a more interesting show than last weeks. If not then the show should be heading for a down turn in the ratings. At least the past two years they have figured out they need to incorporate different kinds of music or the show really will hurt.

I believe it was common knowledge that Feddie Mercury was at least Bi-sexual, I can't speak for the rest of the band. I imagine they don't care what we think.

[ April 08, 2006, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: SC Carver ]

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Well...I'm disappointed in their song choices, but I guess it'll still be entertaining...

****SPOILER**** IDOL SONG Choices for tonight's episode

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Choosing Bohemian Rhapsody would be a mistake for any of them, and I doubt the country girl can pull it off.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Shortening Bohemian Rhapsody really worries me, beyond who is doing it.

Also no one is doing We Are The Champions! What?

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Oh man, I didn't want *anyone* to do Bohemian Rhapsody, and the person who's doing it is nutso. They can't possibly do as good a job as Constantine did last year. He owned it, IMO. It was one of my favorites from last season.

Thanks for that link, HumanTarget! I didn't know they were releasing song choices prior to performance.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Chris's choice, If you pick an unknown song then you have to really grab everyone's attention. They will loose interest real fast if they don't know the song.

Something tells me this may be the last week for Kelli with that song choice.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
Well...I'm disappointed in their song choices, but I guess it'll still be entertaining...

****SPOILER**** IDOL SONG Choices for tonight's episode

Kellie is, what, wanting to go home this week? No good can come of that choice at all.

On the other hand, I'm thinking that Bucky probably chose well. Of all of Queen's songs that I know, that's the one I think he can do best at. Anyway, I'm glad someone is doing that one.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I stand by my original picks. Those are the songs they should have sung. These song choices are just...bleh...
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
i take back my earlier prediction about bucky... ACE sucked and is going home.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I thought Elliot did the best performance tonight.

In general, though, I thought it was boring. I am thinking I am just "over" American Idol.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm on my way to vote for Ace.

I really couldn't stand Taylor's performance at all. Ack.

Kellie surprised me.

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Ace's perfomance and loved Taylor's. To each his own I guess.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Does anyone have the numbers, apparently I didn't write it down.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Taylor took it tonight. Absolutely awesome. Most of the rest were pretty unimpressive.

I felt bad for Kellie. It seemed like everyone was out to sabotage her. The hair, makeup and wardrobe people covered over everything that was cute and unique about her and made her look like a skanky white trash meth-head. The band didn't sound very good, and whoever was mixing the sound must be playing the boards by sense of smell. She'd have sounded better singing unamplified on the tarmac at Heathrow. I have no idea whether she did a good job tonight, but if she gets booted she'd better be ready to slash some tires in the parking lot after the show is over.

And was it just me, or did those dudes from Queen win the A-Hole of the Year award?

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Breyer: Bucky 1, Ace 2, Kelli 3, Chris 4, Katharine 5, Taylor 6, Elliot 7, Paris 8 (I think).

Elizabeth: It has not been up to par lately! I agree. I think it is because they are working with bands and not decades. Less freedom of choice.

Baron: [ROFL]

I actually liked Ace's performance. Bucky was forgetable. Kelli was just plain awful, I almost felt bad for her. Chris was OK. Katharine was terrible. Taylor was amazing! Elliot was great. Paris was really good as well.

Oh and Ryan's quip about one of them being drunk tonight? *cough cough Paula* Hilarious.

Even though we all know how *wonderful* I am at guessing, here is my bottom 3 predictions (haven't looked at dialidol.com yet):

Katharine, Bucky, and Ace. Good-bye to: Katharine or Bucky.

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And was it just me, or did those dudes from Queen win the A-Hole of the Year award?
Yes, they did.

"No, no, I'm not doing that arrangement, not on my song!"

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Kellie was awesome tonight. Makeup and everything, it was perfect for that song. In fact, starting with Kellie, the rest of the night was great. Bucky and Ace were the only ones that sucked. I didn't like the song Chris did, but he did it well.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.