FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Idol (Page 7)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: American Idol
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I really didn't like Kellie or Ace, they were both very bad. Chris and Katherine were very good as was Paris.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOVED the theme. Loved all the songs. I do agree Syn, I can't imagine Rod singing that sort of music.

My run-down:

Chris: Excellent job. Showed off his voice.
Paris: I love that kind of music and I thought she did a phenomenal job.
Taylor: Great voice and I do like his antics. Enjoyable performance.
Elliott: At this point I was like wow, every week should be an American Standards Week!
Kelli: And then I was brought back to reality. To her credit, she didn't pretend she did a good job.
Ace: Nowhere near the others, but better than Kelli.
Katharine: She was my personal favorite in terms of performance.

Going home: Ace
Bottom Three: Ace...no idea, Elliott?

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ace's performance was his best in several weeks (which ain't saying much), but I think he'll still be in the bottom three. I think Kellie's going home. She was right—she butchered it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Kellie was the worst performer but I think previous likeability will keep her in. My guess is Ace is going home and that Kellie and Elliot will join him in the bottom three. I personally loved Katharine and Taylor this week. I also thought Chris did a good job choosing something different and still sounding good. I don't really get into Elliot personality wise but he sounded ok. I missed Paris. Didn't like Kellie and Ace.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My guess is Ace is going home and that Kellie and Elliot will join him in the bottom three.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Although, if I had it my way, Kellie would be the one leaving.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Oh, and I couldn't STAND Ace's ponytail!!!!! (Is that enough exclamation points to emphasize how much I was repulsed by it? [Wink] )

*vomit*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think Ace, Elliott, and Kellie will be in the bottom three. However, I think it's Kellie who will be going home.

On the other hand, this was the first week I've really liked one of Chris's performances, Katherine was good, but I still don't much like her, and Taylor was fine once he got into his song.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Theresa: We are pretty much of the same opinion!

Jon Boy and Hansen: I agree with your assessments 100%, but I fear that Kelli is actually likeable enough and has had enough success in the past that she will make it through to next week. I hope you're right: I have nothing against her, I just prefer other singers and genres.

www.dialidol.com predicts a clear loser this week. I don't feel that it is impossible, although their bottom 3-4 surprises me.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've heard all the judges be quite harsh before, but Kelly's performance last night was the first time I'd ever heard Ryan admit that someone sucked it up.

"Well, you nailed it in rehersal."

Ouch!

Also, I guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't think Chris' performance was as legendary as most people. It certainly wasn't bad (in that there weren't any obvious flaws in pitch or timing), but other than the novelty of hearing him sing a ballad I can't think of a single thing that elevated it from the level of boring, mediocre and unimpressive. If he'd sang like that in his first audition, I have a hard time believing he'd have even made it to Hollywood.

Nevertheless, as a whole this was a much, much much (did I say much?) better week for everyone than the last couple. Relatively good show for all of them.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris was the best white boy I've heard sing that song.

Ace's ponytail thing reminded me of John Travolta in I think Pulp Fiction *I haven't actually seen it).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Mandisa so much right now. I truly hope Ace or Kelli go home tonight.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

What impressed me about Chris' performance was that it showed that he actually has quite a good voice and can vary his style. If I randomly turned on American Idol and saw him sing last night, I probably wouldn't find it compelling. But, knowing Chris' background, it was really interesting to watch.

Also, if Paris said that her first album would be mostly in the style of last night, I wouldn't vote for anyone else.

Ace's ponytailed look reminded me of my ex-boyfriend. [Monkeys]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought last night was so good. It was a pleasure to watch and I went to bed smiling thinking about it.

My two Wows of the night were the bread to the sandwich, Chris and Katharine. Through Chris's performance, my attention was fixed and the song seemed much too short. I thought "Ahh, here's the man who sang to his children when they were babies." Sentimental, yes, but lovely. It was almost as good as Bo Bice's acapella performance last season. That same sort of wow factor on a smaller scale.

Paris kept that positive vibe going doing what she's best at. I would buy an album of her singing that sort of music.

I was a little afraid about 30 seconds into Taylor's performance because it was just...well, it was good, it just didn't have much punch, and after Chris and Paris, he was boring by comparison. Then the last half of the song, it was like he went "you didn't think this was it, did you?" and pulled out all the stops. I loved it.

Elliot shouldn't have bored me, but he did. I think Simon was right...that the night was going to come down to personality. And I don't think he showed enough of it there. Of course he sounded great, but so did everyone else up til that point. I liked his fashion choice. The jeans with the tuxedo top was funky chic.

Kellie knew she was awful the moment she finished singing and went to stand on her mark. She got votes for knowing it was bad and admiting as much. I didn't actually think it was awful, but Lord it was boring. And halfway through, she seemed to forget the melody. I thought briefly that it was almost like someone else had picked her song and she didn't know what to do with it at all.

Figuring that Ace had almost no chance to survive this week, I really didn't expect a lot out of his performance. His hair was very distracting. I kept trying to see if it was a bun or a ponytail. It looked like a bun, which was really bugging me. I only remember one section of the song he sang, and it was very impressive...he slipped from falsetto into his normal range like melted butter. I liked that part a lot. But the hair thing was so distracting that I really don't know how well he sang other than that moment. I still think he has no chance. The others are all so much better (with the possible exception of Kellie, who will IMO continue on in the contest for other reasons than singing ability) that he is fully outshown.

And lastly, Katharine. Holy smokes woman. I thought she was really smart to have a selection of songs to choose from when she saw Rod Stewart. I think she would have done almost anything in this theme well, but the performance she gave was wonderful. Polished. Lovely.

My bottom three: Kellie, Elliot and Ace, with Ace saying goodbye.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor's performance was awesome. I remember it starting off slow, but I sensed that "nah, this is goin' somewhere. He's just playing with us."

Good times.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
my bottom 3... Ace, Paris and Kellie... although paris was good... she had IMO the best song of the night... and it was just ok for me.... If you noticed... Kathrine brought the same song in for her "selections" and the snippit that they showed of that was much better than Paris... I hate to say it, but i was a little glad that Kellie screwed it up... because although I dont want to see her go yet... I also dont want her to make it to the final 3, and I think that she probably will because of her fanbase... but if she keeps messing things up then maybe she wont... I sort of feel the same way about Taylor... he is fun but I just dont think his voice is that good.

Is it just me or does Rod Stewart look an awful lot like Barry Mannilow.

my hope for booting order...
Ace (he was ok last night, but
elliot (better voice than some, but dull performer)
taylor (would you really listen to his CD? I wouldn't unless his songs were as good as somebody like Bare Naked Ladies)
kellie (there are better country singers, i like her but shes not the best
Paris (she has started to annoy me alot, but im sure she will make a FANTASTIC album under the right guidence)
Chris (his style is not my favorite so I didnt originally have him this high... but he has "brought it" for nearly every performance and for this he gets credit.
Winner Katherine... She has show a few week moments when a song was not exactly right for her... but when she is on, SHE IS ON. I would definately buy her CD as long as the songs were good.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't just you Dab, they look alike and are now doing similar music. And Clay Aiken sometimes looks like a younger version of both.

Oh here's a pic of both

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Well I wasn't surprised, about who left but the rest of the bottom three was surprising. Ace left, Paris and Chris were in the bottom three. And it appeared likely that Taylor had the most votes.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
My fiance was just saying how he thought that had brought back Barry Mannilow again because he mistoke Rod Stewart for him.

I was shocked when Ace went to the opposite group as Kellie and Elliot. I thought for sure that was shaping up to be the bottom three. I am happy to see Ace go but not thrilled to find out that even a bad perfomance from Kellie doesn't seem to hurt her at all. I don't care for her that much at all.

I wonder exactly what they mean by the love songs theme if it will be all classical stuff or a wide range of love songs both old and new.

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah I'm not sure, at first I figured it'd be all Andrea Bocelli, and I was convinced they'd all need a quick ride home, ouch. But now I think it might be all love songs, and there are more options.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that actually the bottom three or did Ryan just say the other three were safe? Anyway they eliminated the right one. I just find it hard to beleive Kelli wasn't in the bottom three. Maybe she got all of the Bucky votes.

After complaining that the last few weeks were boring, I'll have to say this week was really good.

Love Taylor, can't wait for his album. If I were him I would have refused to pick a side.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

What exactly are the greatest love songs? My boyfriend suggested "Stardust". I really can't think of any others. Some motown classics? Frank Sinatra? [Dont Know]

Bocelli is the first artist I'm genuinely excited to see perform.

No surprises on the results (even though Kelli SHOULD have been in the bottom 3), and, once again, Dialidol was right on the mark.

enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Kelli being in the top 3 even though she screwed up royally, I think it is because she is pretty and cute. Beauty and cuteness can take you a long way in a popularity contest like this. Some people may think that is sexist or just wrong, but I think it is just reality.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Ace is gone! Finally!
Also, it was really mean for them to make Taylor choose which group he thought was the bottom three. It could easily have been either group, and it puts him in a really bad situation.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

- posted      Profile for Julia   Email Julia         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time i looked at ace's face I wanted to wretch.
he looked like a pervert

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Julia, I hate to even dignify your post with a response, but am going to anyway.

If you don't like the guy, fine, but speculating that he's a 'pervert' makes you look like the rest of the monkeys out there who think that having a computer hooked to the internet makes them capable of effective communication. Fortunately, very few of those monkeys dwell in Hatrack, and I for one like it that way.

If you'd like to post such intelligent analysis to those who can truly appreciate them, you might try the boards on www.americanidol.com.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, it was really mean for them to make Taylor choose which group he thought was the bottom three. It could easily have been either group, and it puts him in a really bad situation.
I was thinking the exact same thing. However, I think that Taylor handled it with a lot of class. I now hope he wins.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I hope he wins too.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I realize lots of people like him, but I'd have no intrest at all in a Taylor album. He doesn't really exhibit any style to speak of, it might be better if I couldn't see him though because I'm very visual about my music, and he isn't really my type, in any way. I would buy Chris or Paris's albums and probably Katherine's. I guess this could be an age and taste thing though. But I'm 20 and love Simon and Garfunkle (I was raised on AC/DC though).
Julia
Member # 9244

Jeniwren:

Perhaps I should appologize for being one of the disgusting monkeys-for-people that in your opinion pollute the system. I only spoke the simple truth. When I saw Ace I actually gagged a little he bothered me so much. And, being the insecure 15 year old girl that I am, being called a monkey that thinks that having a computer hooked to the internet makes me capable of effective communication, does nothing for my self esteem. Thanks though.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Pervert: n : a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior (dictionary.com)

Pervert sounds like a very strong thing to say about someone, unless you know they have some sort of deviant behavior. It's a word that shouldn't be used lightly because it maligns his character. OTOH, you didn't say he was a pervert, just that he looked like a pervert. I find that's an interesting description since I don't know what Ace looks like and I don't know what perverts look like.

Oh, well. I guess I don't have an opinion other than to ask you to think carefully before using words that have the potential to malign character, particularly as relates to sexual behavior.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia
Member # 9244

I will from now on I promise. [Smile] I am an exagerater and not too careful with my word choice, so, sorry.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

exaggerator

google toolbar is my friend

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

If Kellie doesn't leave this week I'll quit watching. That song means too much to me.

No one was amazing this week, Elliot and Chris were both good, Paris oversang, the others missed something.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree breyerchic. Kellie was terrible...again.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
bye bye kellie, Paula smokes crack! Taylor was really bad this week too. top 3 chris, elliot, and katherine. middle is paris, and bottom 2 were taylor and kellie.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if we can count Kellie out yet. That comment she made about looking for a boyfriend... she sure knows how to work her audience.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

I think Kellie will be in the bottom three, but I don't think we'll be lucky enough to see her go just yet. I think it will be Paris to leave. I really enjoyed Katharine's performance, and I was quite disappointed with the judges' reactions to it. I liked it better than the Whitney Houston version...but I guess I'm not really a big Whitney Houston fan.

My Bottom Three:
Kellie
Paris
Katharine
...with Paris leaving

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Paris and Katherine were the best, Taylor was ok, and everyone else was boring.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I was really bored with this week all around. I liked Kellie the least but the way things have been going I won't be surprised if she sticks around. I liked Katharine too. I think the judges might have done her in though. She is always in a precarious position in the competition it seems. I expect Paris to be the other person in the bottom three just because her performance wasn't that memorable for me.

Overall, I just wasn't inspired by any of them. Chris was the only performance I found interesting but not really because it was great. Just because it was different.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

quote:
And, being the insecure 15 year old girl that I am, being called a monkey that thinks that having a computer hooked to the internet makes me capable of effective communication, does nothing for my self esteem. Thanks though.
Please don't play the 'I'm just a teenager' card here. We have a lot of very wellspoken teens here that have more than earned general Hatrack respect. You've posted here less than 30 times. You're a stranger still.

Theaca had good advice, and I hope you'll take it.

I'm with everyone else on last night...very yawnsville. But I was a little tentative about the theme anyway.

I thought Kat's performance was lovely, so the judges were, I thought, overly harsh. And went way long in their criticism.

I'm sorry, but while Elliot's performance was really good, I just can't get into him. He's looking less and less like Uncle Fester, though. My only wish for him is that he would *sit up* when he's over chatting with Ryan. Bad posture looks terrible on TV.

Oh Kellie. That was just...awful. And your hair...yikes!

Paris was really good, except for the 40's Blues lilt she put into it. That was peculiar. But man, that girl can sing. I do wonder, though, if teens can really go far in AI anymore. There was Diana DeGarmo, sure, but I don't know that that could happen again. The lack of experience really works against them.

I loved Taylor. Regardless of what the judges said, I think the key thing they missed was that he already has a strong female fanbase, and that the performance was intimate and deeply romantic. It was like a 2 minute chickflick. [Smile]

The only thing I liked about Chris's performance was his jacket. That was a great jacket. Otherwise, I was totally baffled by the I love it effusion from the judges. It was big Ick to me.

My bottom three: Eliot, Kellie, and Chris. Kellie deserves to go after the past two weeks.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Dialidol has Kellie and Paris at the bottom, with Paris leaving.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Katharine: I actually thought she did a great job. It wasn't her best night, but it was certainly far from what they judges said. Why were they so harsh? It seemed to come out of left field.

Elliot: He was my favorite of the night. Great vocals.

Kelli: Just awful. She did nothing to redeem herself from last week.

Taylor: Good, but not excellent. When he's not into a song, you can really tell.

Paris: I like her voice, but that entire song was loud and out of tune. I cringed throughout half of it. Why did the judges rave about her?

Chris: I thought he did a great (but slightly boring) job.

Bottom Three: Paris, Chris, and Katharine (until Kellie is in the bottom three, I have no faith in America's ability to vote based on talent)

Going home: If it is anyone other than Paris, I will be shocked.

Was it just me or were the judges really weird last night? I thought Randy was bordering on mean for half the show.

estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
The judges were on one last night; Randy was a crouch, Paula was drunk and Simon was ready to bust some lips for the way he was treated––if he wasn't being booed by the audience, cut off by the transition music or slapped down by a raving Paula, the poor guy couldn't do what he does best––offer the only real, honest, helpful guidance on the show.

This group is a weird one, because there's no clear front-runner and all of them are pretty bland. At the same time, I'd go see this group in person because A) Katherine is hot and B) Taylor is a hoot. He's the kind of guy I'd love to hang with.

My thought? Either Kelli or Elliott's gone, even though Elliot has a knack for tough vocals. He's just too goofy.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Oh my goodness, Simon just apologized to Katharine for judging her so harsly. Randy agreed.

Wow. Classy of them.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by estavares:
. . . Paula was drunk . . .

This isn't very notable. However, it is notable that she seemed even drunker than usual.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

Sorry to be so posty, but this results show merits it:

[Party]

Good-bye Kellie!

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
whoa.

... did they cut her off?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yeah
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It's about time.

I wonder why she didn't sing at the end. Was it because she didn't want to go out on such a low note?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Or because the show was over, that's my guess, they were going overtime.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.