FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think it was cute/funny when Hurley attempted to out run the cops?

That whole "Jacob's house-face in window" scared the crap out of me. I obviously don't watch to many scary movies. What's up with this jacob???

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Locke's face in the window. Locke was hanging out in the cabin, talking to Jacob (or trying to if he still can't see him), and Hurley walked up and saw Jacob, Locke looked out the window, scared Hurley, then went to help him.

Apparently Hurley saw Jack's dad in Jacob's chair.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Jacob

[ February 02, 2008, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the picture of the eye in the window that's on wikipedia I don't think it could be Locke's eye. The eye is clearly brown and I'm pretty sure Locke has blue/grey eyes.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the eye looks like it could be blue, green, or brown. I think it's too dark to tell.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed it was Locke as well. But if it isn't, could it have been Jack? And the scene happened in some sort of time warp(i.e.- the scene inside the cabin happens in an episode later in the season).
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, no discussion on tonight's episode yet? I thought it was decent, even though introducing all the new characters took up a lot of time.

One thing I was wondering about was that I saw Harold Perrineau's name in the credits and I figured he would be in the episode. Then a little after the episode ended I remembered Ben's "man on their boat" comment and was wondering if that might be Michael.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the episode, but it's another case of an episode bringing up a dozen new questions and only answering one or two. Kind of frustrating, but it keeps us on our toes.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I thought the episode was fantastic. I thought having all the flashbacks grouped into one helped introduce us to the characters without having to stretch out 4 or 5 episodes.

And in true Lost fashion, as MightyCow said, every time they answer a question, they bring up 2 more.

more tomorrow. It's late.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that Mister Abaddon is an agent for the real DHARMA Initiative...the group Ben helped the Others murder all those years ago.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
What was Locke's line about Walt? Something like, "yeah, it was him, but . . . bigger." With some funny line from Sawyer after that. LOL, I wonder if that is the only nod we're going to get to the fact that he's grown IRL when only a few weeks have gone by in the LOST world, or are they going to have some bizarre explanation for it?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Entertainment Weekly has a great weekly recap and analysis of each week's episode. This weeks analysis draws some great parallels between the "rescuers" and CS Lewis's Narnia and Marvel's the Fantastic Four.

Example: The blonde woman rescuer's name: Charlotte Staples Lewis bares a striking simularity to Clive Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis). And in Prince Caspian, "Pevensie kids return to Narnia via a mysterious island marked by ancient ruins and odd creatures. First thing they do: play in the water."

Check it out: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20177008,00.html

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught the CS Lewis thing. I found it fascinating.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stihl1:
I caught the CS Lewis thing. I found it fascinating.

I don't.
If it's true, I find it lame as can be, using a movie which is about to be released as a reference.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's lame. Using C.S. Lewis isn't out of step of what Lost usually does. Even if the timing is convenient, and I think it is, he is the type of person that Lost regularly references.

Having the backstories for all of the "rescuers" told in one episode was great. I suspect if not for the writers' strike, that would have happened over several episodes.

I think the "rescuers" were involved with DHARMA, before Ben ended it. But then who had the power to put the dummy plane in the ocean?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that most of the primary character have "great philosopher" last names, Lewis isn't too strange [Smile]

I would swear up and down that I saw Fisher Stevens' name in the credits. But he wasn't any of the "rescuers." Is he slated to make a guest appearance? I just love him!

You know something's going to happen where this little foursome gets torn assunder -- one or two die, and the rest are fractured between wanting to complete their "ben-retrieval" mission, and wanting to exclusively help the Losties.

that Charlotte chick looks cold -- i don't trust her. Daniel is a "head case," hmm? Maybe someone Hurley knows? I'm really interested in the off-the-island supernatural elements in this episode -- polar bear is the desert, Miles' paranormal abilities...too cool!

Even if Ben was privy to all that information because of working for creepy bug-eyed suit-guy, how the heck does he recall that stuff at will? Did I miss the episode where Ben's a super-genius?

[ February 09, 2008, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben recalling all that information doesn't seem any harder than the pilot immediately knowing Juliette wasn't from the plane.

I don't trust Charlotte at all, but I like Miles and Daniel.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Anyone else think that miles and the narrator of the dharma films are related?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
Anyone else think that miles and the narrator of the dharma films are related?

Interesting point.

As for Charlotte looking "cold," she has light skin and very light eyes, and she is a tough customer, but I think it is an assumption that she is cold becasue of her "cold" color. If she had warm, braown eyes would you think that?

What I notice about the four is their general passion, actually.

I still think the CS Lewis/Caspian reference is lame, though, but it fits with my "Shambahala" theory.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I wasn't commenting on Charlotte's physical appearance. I was commenting on how she reacts to situations, especially with how she dealt with the man at the dig and the Losties once she landed.

quote:
Ben recalling all that information doesn't seem any harder than the pilot immediately knowing Juliette wasn't from the plane.

fer shizzle? He doesn't just recognize her, he knows her entire life history, in detail. He has the same sort of info, that he can readily recall at will, on every one of the primary Losties. Regardless of whether or not he Would have that info, to be able to just rattle it off like that? Does he just sit in his bungalow and memorize facts?

[ February 09, 2008, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

What's your Shambahala theory?

Isn't Shambahala a Utopian city in the mountains?

akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, I think it's pretty reasonable to see that. Ben is a manipulator at heart, and the only way to be a good manipulator is to have as much information as possible. Anybody who can be in "control" of a situation while tied up, beaten senseless, and under threat of death is pretty good at what they do. It's his job to know everything about everyone at the island. It's not all that different when you think about it from...say....someone who knows the life and history of an entire sports team, or comic series.

But yeah, Ben certainly does need to find more positive things to do with his time than memorize the backstories of fifty-odd people in an attempt to rule Fantasy Island. [Smile]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Maybe the significance of him knowing that information is greater than just manipulation-power.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"I wasn't commenting on Charlotte's physical appearance."

I didn't say you were commenting on it, I said it might have an effect on how people perceive her. And I meant to generalize. I think they chose someone who appears "cold." That's all I meant. Sorry.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
What's your Shambahala theory?

Isn't Shambahala a Utopian city in the mountains?

Yes, it is a mythical city which people go to and never return from. It can be found, but not always. There was more to the theory, but to be honest, I forget! Remember when Hurley drove the VW bus down the hill the first time? It was "The Road to Shambhala" which played. Anyone would think they played the song because it is a classic hippy-60's song, but it means something else.

Also, Shambhala=Shangrila.(sort of)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shambhala

Only people with "certin karma" can get there.
It is a real place...but it isn't.

"The song "Shambala" by Three Dog Night is featured in the TV series Lost, episode 310 (Trisha Tanaka is Dead) as Hurley and Charlie confront their fear of death that is weighing them down. The song is also featured in episode 320 (The Man Behind The Curtain.)"

[ February 10, 2008, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What are some other "world only accessible through secret door seen only be certain people" stories we could be looking for them to use as references?
Terabithia? Even though it was a pretend secret world?
Avalon?

Tammy
Member # 4119

Maybe they've found Atlantis.

Lost Lands Aplenty

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Great link.
Has anyone noticed any references to Atlantis in the show?
Atlantis is not a place that is secret door-ish, though, usually, just lost. If you can find it, you're in. Avalon(Lyonesse) is.

The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally Posted by Leonides
quote:
You know something's going to happen where this little foursome gets torn assunder -- one or two die, and the rest are fractured between wanting to complete their "ben-retrieval" mission, and wanting to exclusively help the Losties.
This is somehow going to lead the Oceanic Six. One of those four will be forced, by being threated with death at the hand of Jack or Kate, to rescue some of the castaways with the helicopter. They will leave the other three and the rest of the castaways behind.

Could the person in the casket be one of the rescuers? Jack said it was neither a friend or family. If it is one of them, Jack would still feel compelled to visit because of the circumstances involved.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

When I was thinking about Atlantis, the only thing I could think of was that statue of the foot with four toes. I don't know why I associated it with Atlantis. I was glad they'd showed it in the flashbacks, I was beginning to think I'd imagined it.

I don't recall any mention of anything that could relate to Atlantis.

I just love the idea of any of those "lost" worlds.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I do, too.

Unfortunately, because I am the parent of a boy, when I think of Atlantis now, I think of Atlantis Spongepantis.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
One advantage to having no children is that my mind remains mostly unsullied by Sponge Bob imagery. [Wink]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sponge Bob is banned in my home. As are Junie B. Jones and Captain Underpants.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Too bad. Spongebob makes me laugh harder than any sitcom, not that that's saying much.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:

I'm not sure about all this alternative dimension talk, but time is obviously a very important aspect of the show. The torture room has that backwards dialog that repeats "only fools are enslaved by time and space". The man guarding room 23 was reading A Brief History of Time. Walt spoke backwards to Shannon. There may be another backwards dialog part but i'm not remembering now. Richard hasn't seemed to age at all in like 30 years. And Desmond is now able to see outside of time. This is all off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more too.

One more thing I thought of to add to my list of time related anomlies in the show.

Mittelos(as in Mittelos Bioscience) is an anagram for "lost time".

Tammy
Member # 4119

My daughter's been singing the "pizza song" since she got off the bus today.

"Krusty Kraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab Pizza, is
the pizza, yea for you and meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

*help me*

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that the grandson on the picture in the woman's home where Miles goes in the flashback is Eko (or is at least the spitting image of Eko as a young boy).

They made a point of focusing on the picture twice so I doubt its a coincidence.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rabbit, I knew I was supposed to notice something about the picture. Now I want to go back.

Also, is Miles the same character who is on the show about the couple with 8 kids, or do they just look similar?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nope, coincidence.
However, "Miles" played the grumpy guy who was in the psych ward with Junior Soprano.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think that the eye/face in the window was Locke because it looked like it had hair.

I didn't get the whole Penny finding the polar bear skeleton in the desert thing. Is that part of the other dimension theory?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

I thought Charlotte found the polar bear in the desert...
Strider
Member # 1807

MEC has got it right.

Rabbit I noticed that about the picture and then promptly forgot about it right after. Good call. So what does it all mean?

Lisa
Member # 8384

Time travel.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

See, here's my problem with time travel theories or theories about the island existing outside of time or in an alternate dimension. If this is true than why is everyone that's on the island from the present day? Why aren't there people from colonial times and from ancient times? There would conceivably be people from all sorts of time periods co-existing in this island outside of time.
Tammy
Member # 4119

What do you think is going on with the hobbit? The guy in the scene where Hurley's chilling outside, mentioned to him that someone was staring at him...so this guy saw Charlie? He's there, and then he's not. [Confused]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Sponge Bob is banned in my home. As are Junie B. Jones and Captain Underpants.

I can understand SpongeBob and Captain Underpants, but Junie B. Jones is comedic gold.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

She's a bad role model.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought Charlotte found the polar bear in the desert...
That makes slightly(?) more sense. Charlotte is the new helicopter person right? After watching each show I feel more confused all the time. I didn't get what that whole desert scene had to do with anything. For some reason, this bothered me more than the fact that Hurley's fellow psych patient saw Charlie.

I still really enjoy the show, I just can't want to think about it too deeply because there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I hope that a story arc will unfold soon, I need some sense and reason!

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
For some reason, this bothered me more than the fact that Hurley's fellow psych patient saw Charlie.

What makes you think that anyone saw Charlie other than Hurley? What makes you think that the "fellow psych patient" wasn't imaginary as well?

I think the whole TimeLoop theory is too complicated and illogical to be the real solution to what's happening on Lost, but I won't be surprised if some of it turns out to be right.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, this is a teacher analogy, but bear with me.
I think that the writers are making this up as they go, trying to match things from the past episodes, but it is all ne, like a teacher who is teaching a new curriculum that year.

They look for cool things, and use them, but sometimes, the lessons don;t fit.

I think that if the writers themselves could go back in time, they would have had all the theories in place, and been able to build on them.

The Reader
Member # 3636

Charlie really slapped Hurley. If Charlie was a figment of Hurley's imagination, then Hurley would have felt it anyway. If Charlie was really there, then the other psych patient would have seen Charlie as well, and probably would not have recognized him from Drive Shaft, being a psychiatric patient and all. Others in the vicinity (and there appeared to be few people) probably would not recognize him either for the same reason. How Charlie got there? [Dont Know]

I propose that Aaron may be the fourth of the Oceanic Six to be revealed. Claire may be forced to make a choice: does she keep Aaron to take care of him, as maternal instinct would require, or does she send him with the other five? If he has "special abilities" as some propose, but I don't believe, then Claire would have good reason to send him off the island away from the danger, as she sees it anyway.

I am aware that Claire was warned that she should be the only person taking care of him, but she received that information from a fake psychic. Aaron seemed to bond well others, especially Charlie, but he's dead now. Kind of.

Of course, who takes care of Aaron when he gets to civilization? Kate, possibly. It's remote, I know. She doesn't seem to be very good mother material, but it may be the simplest explanation (in Lost terms, because nothing is simple on Lost [Wink] ) for the person she was talking about in "Through the Looking Glass" when she said "He'll be wondering where I am."

And after looking through Lostpedia to make sure I have the quote right, I see that this is a already a theory.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.