FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my.
I completely missed the Aaron connection! Can someone explain?
I think Claire probably begged to have them take Aaron, if it was Aaron.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
oh wait, what was the thing with Daniel and the cards? Is he losing his memory? Why did he cry when he saw the news report about flight 815? and how come when he parachuted to the ground and Jack asked him who he was, it almost looks like it takes a him second to remember. And why is he so twitchy!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Two more things. This episode had references to Xanadu and the Phillip K. Dick book Valis. Both interesting references given their themes and content.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as the Aaron reveal happened, Julie immediately thrust a finger at me and said, "Don't let anyone else raise your child!"

Which is a quote from the first season, when Claire went to that psychic guy. It was a very creepy moment.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

And Claire was on her way to LA to give the baby up to a family there...which is where Aaron ends up anyway!
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Valis, I get. Why is Xanadu relevant?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Isn;t Xanadu like Shambhala? (Shangrila)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Duh.
Bells ring so few and far between these days...

http://etext.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridge/poems/Kubla_Khan.html

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That with music loud and long,
(excerpt):

I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome ! those caves of ice !
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware ! Beware !
His flashing eyes, his floating hair !
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurley never really struck me as a Xanadude.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
My jaw dropped when my prediction about Kate's caring for Aaron turned out to be right. Now I'm worried that Claire may end up dying, rather than telling Kate to get him off the island.

There were several small reveals that add up to be big. Aaron certainly, but what about Daniel? I wonder if his memory problems are related to sabotage. Did he work for Dharma, and after the purge, was there a failed attempt on his life to keep his knowledge secret? I think there is a possibility that he worked for Dharma because he has an interest in strange events. For example, he wasn't surprised about the time difference, just that the difference he expected was not what he got.

I'm not surprised that Ben went on and off the island regularly. He is a liar and manipulator, and can make the rest of his people think he cares about them. I'm surprised he has access to so much money. Is he on the pay of a Dharma related entity, and only uses loyalty to the island in order to keep the deception going?

Locke is evil.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't think Locke is at all evil.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I mean, a bit crazy, and a tad bit maniacal, but not evil. He is like a crazed prophet.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife suggested that maybe Daniel came to the island with some memory problems, and the island was healing him.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

yeah, i buy that MightyCow. I think Reader might be on to something too with what he said. Daniel has some sort of past connection to the Island(hence is crying when he sees the news report...hmmm or maybe his connection is with someone on the plane and not the island itself?), but for whatever reason his memory is shot. And the Island is now slowly healing him. So maybe we get a huge reveal from him later on as he remembers his past.

Interesting that they send a physicist with memory problems on a mission like this.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Who says he was trying to remember the cards? Did we see him look at the cards? I thought it was a clairvoyance test.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Every commercial break has me very excited.

I think the helicopter is still on it's way to the boat. TIME WARP.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good point, Lisa.
Daniel could have had some sort of brain injury. Maybe he got to the point where the doctors say that's it, you have healed as much as you are going to heal.

Strider
Member # 1807

Elizabeth, but I think Lisa's saying that he doesn't have a memory problem at all, and what we were seeing as a memory test was really a clairvoyance test.

I'd be inclined to agree with her if it wasn't for his look of confusion when he landed on the island and his unexplained crying when he saw the news report.

Though I won't rule out the possibility.

Lisa
Member # 8384

What's really going to happen this season: Link.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Strider, I was not really mentioning memory, because Lisa had made the point. There are other things that brain injuries can cause, though, and shakiness is one of them. Maybe his brain was used as an experiment because of his abilities, and was damaged.
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that each of the "rescuers" have ties to certain fields of interest of the Dharma Initiative. Daniel "Faraday" most likely with electrostatics.

I suspect that Claire is dead and that Jack now knows that she was his step-sister, that being the reason he doesn't want to see Aaron.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The other reason he may not want to see her is perhaps because of what ended up happening to her (whatever that may be). The only reason I can think of that Kate ends up with Aaron is that Claire dies and she promises to take care of him.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
There are theories on Lostpedia that Kates Aaron isn't Claire's Aaron, but I don't believe it. Because Kate was a fugitive wanted for murder, among many other charges, there is no way she would be allowed to retain custody of Aaron.

Claire had relatives in Australia that would have been considered for custody, unless the fact that Aaron was up for adoption complicates this.

The story that the Oceanic Six could tell the world is that Claire was one of the eight survivors, but died after giving birth. Aaron would be one of the six remaining survivors. Even though he wasn't a passenger because he didn't have a seat, he was still on the plane and did indeed survive the crash.

Kate would have been the person taking care of Aaron, as she did for the rest, and she would be his mother as far as he knows. How does she manage to keep him given her circumstances?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe Kate killed Claire?
Strider
Member # 1807

Where are The Others????
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, they headed off to the temple sometime towards the end of last season.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
So they finally gave us something!!! The island must be some kind of crux of time. I don't know, but I'm just so freakin' happy that we have an answer! This explains where the Black Rock came from, the four toed statue, and possibly the monster and the black cloud. They are all from different "times".

From this point, they can just fill in the pieces and concentrate on the drama. We finally have OUR constant!

(Excuse me for my uber-geekiness, but for the first time in three seasons, I've not wanted to throw something through the t.v. after watching an episode! I'm one of those that was hoping for it to make sense, but really wasn't sure it would.)

edited to add:

Plus, my friend Matt just reminded me that when Sayid and Desmond left the island, it was October...but when they landed on the boat, it was Christmas eve. Crazy.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Aye.
Plus, it was a Desmond episode!
And Penny loves him, and he knows it!

landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Penny and Desmond love! I was scared for a second there...I thought they might kill Desmond while he was ending his convo with Penny, having served his purpose of letting us know what the heck was going on. I am sooo glad they weren't that evil!
Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be obvious, but I think what happened with Faraday is that he did the experiment on himself and put himself into the future. That may be why he came to the island in the first place.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

I don't know about that. I think Faraday's "thing" is that he has an amazing, if not perfect memory...and that the island has confused him and slowed or damaged his ability. Remember when Desmond suggested that he forgot something and Daniel looked at him like he was stupid and said "I highly doubt that."
Strider
Member # 1807

I think more likely, Faraday fried his brain with repeated exposure to radiation. He was recruited to come to the island or work with whoever he's working for because of his particular skills. I think he knew he was coming to the island because Desmond told him about the island. That's why he cries when he sees the news report.

Desmond's travels are starting to remind me of The Time Traveler's Wife.

I loved tonight's episode. I think it bolstered the island outside of time theory, but laid to rest the alternate dimensions theory. Faraday's line to 1996 Desmond about not being able to change events or time while not explicitly countering the alternate dimensions theory, would seem to go against it, and indicate the show isn't going in that direction.

I'm having a hard time remembering what Desmond has said about his military time, and what happened to him in between leaving Penny and the boat race. Did he ever indicate having memory problems or mental problems during that period in his life? i.e- if the concept of time and time travel on the show is a fixed path where events cannot be altered or changed, they just happen, then what did real 1996 Desmond originally experience during this time period?

Strider
Member # 1807

landybraine, i like your comment about the show giving us a constant. Not sure if the producers meant it in that way, but i think it's a cool way to look at it none the less.

I disagree with you about Faraday's "thing". i think his memory problems started way before the island. hence his unexplained crying when he sees the 815 news report. and why it seems like he has a caretaker taking care of him. i agree with what you say about his look and line to Desmond, but Desmond's line back was just as important, "what's protecting your head?"

Strider
Member # 1807

oh shoot...prison right? he was in prison for something. but i don't remember what...off to lostpedia.
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of thought that Faraday was going through the time travel himself. He wrote himself a note at some point in time that Desmond was his constant. So, when he's crying when he sees the 815 footage, I think that he was experiencing one of the time travels. Perhaps he had been having "dreams" of the island, like Desmond's first dream, and then having the island confirmed to him made him realize that he had been time traveling. Or not. But I think at some point, he has to travel as he notes Desmond is his constant.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me!
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I think the reason he notes Desmond as his constant is because he knows for a fact that desmond is both in his past and his future.

The reason he thinks it worthy of noting, is because now that he's met Desmond in his past, he's made aware that some time in his future he'll possibly be going to a place that caused these strange effects in Desmond. To prepare himself for what *might* happen to him, he marks this down, maybe his memory is already starting to go at this point hence the need for documentation.

This is just my interpretation. Obviously only time will tell(pun intended). His memory blanks may be time travel related, i'm just not willing to support that theory yet.

Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Plus, my friend Matt just reminded me that when Sayid and Desmond left the island, it was October...but when they landed on the boat, it was Christmas eve. Crazy.
how could it have been october? didn't the flight crash in september? and they've been there for a few months now. i'm pretty sure it's just the day or two difference from island to boat.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Landybraine,

I don't think that is quite right. It is Desmond and Eloise's consciousness that is unhinged in time, not their physical selves. They are only swapping back and forth between points in their own timeline. That doesn't explain the origins of the smoke, statue, or black rock.

I find it far more likely that the Black Rock washed up during a storm, and that the point of the scene last night was to provide us with a way for the Whidmores to know about the Island, the diary. Things are not traveling through time to the Island.

I think Faraday fried his brain and memory. He isn't traveling through time yet, or else he would display the symptoms of going blank for longer and more frequent periods of time. I think he wrote down that Desmond would be his constant in case he experiences difficulty when he leaves the island.

There has to be a way to come and go without experiencing these side effects, or else the others would diminish their ranks over time from people like Ben, Tom, guy that Charlie killed, and guy that never ages leaving and returning.

(sorry for the lack of names, just got up.)

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just before the helicopter takes off, Jack comments to the pilot that its been 100 days since he's seen a game. They crashed on the island on Sept. 22 2004. There are 94 days between Sept. 22 and Dec. 24. That gives you a time difference of 6 days.

Unless of course the last game Jack watched was before he left for Australia which in the real world would be pretty likely since American baseball isn't a popular sport down under. Still I had the sense that Jack was counted the days he'd been on the island not the days since he's watched baseball.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
My speculation is that in one of the coming few episodes Daniel will explain to us what "pushing the button" was all about, and that it will have something to do with keeping the island's time in sync with the outside world.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that theory, Tres.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Desmond's travels are starting to remind me of The Time Traveler's Wife."

I have thought that for a while. In fact, I think they stole it from TTTW.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
"Desmond's travels are starting to remind me of The Time Traveler's Wife."

I have thought that for a while. In fact, I think they stole it from TTTW.

The mention in the episode to being "unstuck in time" along with the basic concept of visiting different time periods within one's own life is a blatant reference to Kurt Vonnegut's well-known novel Slaughterhouse-Five, originally published in 1969.

Just sayin'. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, what I hear you saying is that TTTW stole from Kurt?
Strider
Member # 1807

well, I think the fact he's not only jumping around in time but also jumping around to various points in his relationship to penelope and affecting the course of his relationship with her through those jumps, is what's reminding me specifically of TTTW.

though it's obvious that there are Slaughterhouse references in there as well(when he gets kidnapped by aliens we'll know for sure).

There's room for both references! Lost is expansive.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying that the Lost episode was making an obvious reference to Vonnegut's novel. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

So here's a fun little theory I've been thinking about, not specifically related to any of the current episodes, but lent credence by the information revealed recently.

Remember the two skeletons Jack found in the cave during season 1? Well, here's some stuff that the producers have said about that:

*Warning, mild spoilers about the importance of the skeletons

quote:
In an EW.com article, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse answered the fan question, "What is the meaning or significance of the two skeletons that Jack and Kate found in the cave of season 1?"
CUSE: The answer to that question goes to the nature of the timeline of the Island. We don't want to say too much about it, but there are a couple Easter eggs embedded in "Not in Portland", one of which is an anagram that actually sheds some light on the skeletons and hints at a larger mythological mystery that will start to unfold later in the season.
LINDELOF: There were certain things we knew from the very beginning. Independent of ever knowing when the end was going to be, we knew what it was going to be, and we wanted to start setting it up as early as season 1, or else people would think that we were making it up as we were going along. So the skeletons are the living—or, I guess, slowly decomposing—proof of that. When all is said and done, people are going to point to the skeletons and say, "That is proof that from the very beginning, they always knew that they were going to do this."

So the easter egg they're talking about is the anagram of Mittelos, which is "lost time".

So here's my theory. The skeletons are actually characters we already know, my current hypothesis is Jack and Kate. That in their attempt to get back to the island they make it back, but waaaaaay too early and die on the island before any of the events we're familiar with ever happen. I'm not 100% gung ho about it happening that way, but I am intrigued by the idea that the skeletons are characters we're familiar with who go through a time warp of some sort.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else mentioned the "friend on board" comment which was made in relation to someone opening the door to the sickbay, thus allowing Desmond, Sayid and the communications officer to escape? I think this reinforces my guess made a couple weeks back that Michael is on board the boat, and is also Ben's contact.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.