FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 58)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I ended up in sports bras because they were cheaper and I grew so fast my first pregnancy. Once the baby came I invested in some nursing bras.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Feeling pretty good! This baby still moves around a ton, and she's running out of room so her movement is getting a little more uncomfortable. Instead of just being on one side, now when she decides to go on a kicking spree, her head is knocking my bladder, and elbow is in my side and her feet are killing the top of my belly. Oh well, right... ; )

She got hiccups for the first time (that I noticed) yesterday... It was pretty cute. I watch my cousins after school and sometimes for somethings on weekends... The 7 year old and I hung out pretty much all afternoon (oh, the joys of chuck e cheese birthday parties...) while his older brothers were at football and he thought the hiccups were the coolest thing...

I officially know what the Braxton-Hicks contractions feel like and I really have to say that sometimes they HURT.

That's about all I've got for now - next appt is on Saturday and then starts every two weeks... imogen - it's funny you said that about beating you to the actual baby. I have a feeling she's going to come early. I don't know why - I just do. (watch, i'll have to be induced at 42 weeks or something...) I had a dream she came on the 6th of November... Let's see what happens!! ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, BH are no fun.

What's annoying to me is, the contractions that actually dilate me the first 4 cm or so do not hurt as much as the Braxton Hicks I've usually been having for at least 3 months (or more) by that time. :\

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same here. I've had preterm labor with three babies, preterm deliveries for two. With the most recent baby, I was walking around at a five for like a week; turns out the baby didn't fall out only because he had decided to jam himself in sideways and would agree to exit the premises only via excruciating back labor.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I see either my OB or my perinatologist every week and I think they'll probably start each wanting to see me every week soon. I'm so uncomfortable from both the pregnancy and from lying down all day. I wish these kids would chill out - it's weird and uncomfortable how active they both are at the same time. It's nothing like a singleton pregnancy, so I don't know what to expect. I'm starting to have a hard time eating because they're so high now and I'm worried about their growth.

My mother is coming Thursday, thank goodness. That will be a huge help. I also got to go to Aerin's birthday party, btw and it was awesome.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I saw my OB today and I'm at the same place. The bad news is that I'm going to have to go into the hospital at 24-25 weeks (I'm 21.5 weeks now). It's precautionary - they want the babies to be born under the best conditions and we have no idea when they'll come.

Andrew is taking it much harder than I am. I'm primarily worried about how it will affect Aerin.

Boy am I never doing this again.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Mrs M.

My best thoughts are with you, your babies, and your family.

Aerin will be able to visit you in hospital, I presume?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Aw Mrs.M that really stinks...

I'm definitely thinking of you... Not sure what I could possibly do, but if there's anything I CAN do, just let me know.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, my, Mrs. M, that would be so hard. [Frown]

I'm with cmc, if there's anything I can do (other than keep you and the babies and Aerin and Andrew in my prayers, which I already do), let me know! I'm always open to an e-mail, even to vent, I would be happy to send cards or letters for you to read. If you e-mail me to let me know what your hospital address is, I can send it there, or I'll send it to your home address (do I have your new address? I'm not quite sure) and I'm sure it will be brought to you, right?

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thanks, y'all. Andrew or my mother will bring Aerin to see me every day. I'm getting used to the idea, but still kind of not.

Letters and cards are always very welcome. It is definitely better to send them to the house - the hospital is not super reliable with mail delivery (it's my only complaint with them)

I have my perinatal appt. this week, so we'll see where we stand. Only 2 more weeks until viability, which will make me feel a lot better.

Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you do have good support at home, which makes it easier, though long bed rest is never really easy.

Prayers here too for you, Mrs. M.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Mrs.M - if you want to email me your address, I'll send cards... : )

Appointment on Saturday went well! The kid is still growing, still tries to kick the doctor every time he puts the heart monitor on her and is head down (the doc supposes she'll stay that way for the duration). It was pretty cool - he showed me how to feel her head while I was in there... Now that I know she's looking more human - it's a little strange/cool to think about her in there. Every now and then I'll have one of those moments like - Holy Crap... This creature inside of me is going to be as big as, if not bigger than, me someday. It's crazy.

We've got an ultrasound on the 10th. I'm not 100% sure why, but my old doc guessed that this guy'd do one (just to 'see for himself'). So - that'll be sort of cool to see her all big and stuff... ; )

That's about all I've got for now...

imogen
Member # 5485

I wish I got another ultrasound...

What I'm finding odd is how instead of just jabs and kicks, the movements are now unmistakably baby limbs - I can feel an arm, or a shoulder, or a little bum...

Drives home that there is a real little person in there! I cannot wait to meet him. (7 1/2 more weeks...)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Holy Strange Dreams, Batman!!! I mean, they've been weird all along - but they're getting more vivid AND strange. The newest 'theme' is that I'll be looking down at her moving, my stomach will become transparent and then she'll come out my stomach. Just that easy... Somehow I'm pretty sure that's wishful dreaming right there... ; ) I also had a dream that I got into a physical fight with someone - and I woke up totally bothered by it. Also - friends from the past have been popping up a lot in the past week... People from high school or camps that I've just fallen out of contact with for whatever reason... wonder why that is... Anyway - just commenting! : )

Had the first 'Preparation for Childbirth' class last night... I really like the woman who's running it. She's got a great attitude... I'm pretty much really laid back about this whole thing. I'm not nervous or anxious about delivery at all. We also have a pretty simple 'birth plan'... I'd like to do it without drugs, but make sure you tell me before it's too late to take them! And, well, that's about it. I guess my mindset is that I'm going to be doing this for the first time... The doctor and nurse that'll be with me have been doing this for years... I trust them... I guess it helps, too, that my Aunt had her 3 boys with this guy and he was a superstar in her eyes...

Alright. I think I'm starting to ramble. Just felt like popping in... How's everyone else doing??? Is it just imogen and Mrs.M?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, man, I miss pregnant dreams. I rarely remember my dreams when I'm not pregnant and the pregnant dreams are SO entertaining (well, the ones that aren't terrifying!)

I had a dream my first pregnancy that I was stalking a kid I hadn't seen from high school and forcing him to make out with me! [Embarrassed] I really want to know what caused THOSE synapses to fire-- it was a kid I'd never even had a crush on, or thought was cute, and had not seen at all in four or five years.

imogen
Member # 5485

I think we may be the only 3. We're the tail end of the baby boom. [Smile]

I had a dream a little while back that the baby came out - we saw him, talked to him, played to him, then put him back. The whole thing was completely painless and gore-free. Like you, I suspect a little wishful dreaming at work. No stalking dreams though.

We're halfway through our classes. So far we've done breastfeeding and childbirth part I. Tomorrow is childbirth part II (what can go wrong....) and the last class is baby care. They're all run through the birth centre, by the midwifes and have been pretty good. For the last class, a couple will come in who have had a baby at the birth centre in the last few weeks to show us the baby (baby! [Smile] ) and talk about life with a newborn.

I'm pretty relaxed too. No birth plan as such, but because we've chosen the birth centre drugs are mostly not an option, unless I want to transfer to the main hospital. They can give me gas, but they discourage any drugs in labour, and I'm very keen not to use any either. I am looking forward to using the very big and very luxurious baths. [Smile]

cmc
Member # 9549

She is CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUte... She doesn't even look a little bit like an alien anymore - she officially looks like a baby. Saw her elbows and her knees and her kidneys and her stomach and her bladder and her brain... and all sorts of stuff!!! She's about 4 lbs 10 oz right now with about 6 and a half weeks to go, if she comes on her due date. She even has hair!!! The tech commented on how active she is - is that like a generic comment or is she really active, I wonder...? Anyway, everything's good - enough fluid, she's practicing her breathing and I LOVE HER!!!!!! : )

Next appt is next Thursday, when he'll check out my body to see what if it's doing anything to get ready for this little girl to come out into the world. He'll also go over all the info from todays u/s, too...

Wait - gas like the kind that knocks you out gas? They can do that? (clearly haven't gotten to the 'drugs' part of the class yet...)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, gas like nitrous oxide. I don't think it's used much here for L&D; imogen is in Oz. [Wink]

Edit: Link

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who delivered a baby in England who said it's pretty common there. She didn't like it because she couldn't measure her breathing as well (both of her kids were natural births)
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It seems to be common in the UK and Australia and uncommon in the U.S. Not sure about other places.

. . . and if having a baby with a shot of narcotics is not a "natural birth", neither is having one while taking hits of nitrous. The usual usage of the term means no drugs.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
She took it for a total of maybe three minutes, decided she didn't like it, and stopped (this was her second baby, after developing sort of her own system for dealing with pain after her natural first birth, which the nitrous was messing up). Not that I don't agree with your definition, I was unclear. [Smile]

[ October 10, 2008, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The reason they like the gas at the birth centre is it does clear the system pretty quickly - so if you don't like it, it's gone after a few good breaths of oxygen.

Obviously harder to reverse the effects of a pethedine shot (or an epidural) so fast. [Smile]

We had the pain relief birth class this week. The gas does require a lot of huffing and puffing - I didn't really like the look of it.

We also saw the delivery suite at the hospital so if I do have to be transferred, it's familiar.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I wish gas was an option here. They had a lot of trouble getting in my epidural last time; he said it might have to do with scarring, or tenseness, or both, so... I don't know. I was so traumatized by my last experience having a baby I want another one but I think I'm going to be scared of everything next time around, which is sad, because the birth itself was fine; it was just the aftermath.

My husband and I were debating the effects of inducing before the due date, as we did, vs. waiting until probably past term. On the one hand, my response gets worse with each kid, it seems, so might leaving them in to "bake" longer result in higher levels of the antibodies that cause the jaundice in their systems? On the other hand, might their livers be more mature with a few extra weeks? This was our smallest kid yet (she was actually in longer than Bridey, but Bridey is just huge, 95th %tile in height) I don't really know how much difference a few weeks would make in either liver development or in my immune response. I don't regret going in when I did; something was definitely starting to happen, though I hadn't had protein in my urine my bp was high and remained so for a week or two after the birth, and I had swelling that persisted for two weeks after she was born (I actually GAINED weight the first few days after she was born, most of it swelling.) Plus the pubis symphasis dysfunction, ouch, which took a week to clear up. Something was going south with me and she was born perfectly healthy, except for the jaundice which would have happened anyway. But I do wonder about the effect on the next one, since my immune response is getting worse each time, apparently.

rivka
Member # 4859

There are options besides an epidural here. Shots of narcotics are also an option, and one I have found made a huge difference, without the invasiveness of an epidural.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I can't have narcotics. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, I like the idea that it clears so quickly if you don't like it.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bad experience with nitrous oxide as a child and I will never allow it to be given to me again.

Which has annoyed a couple of dentists, including the one who pulled my wisdom teeth, but too bad for them.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wisdom teeth while conscious wasn't bad at all. Interesting, even.
rivka
Member # 4859

I have never had nitrous, but I am guessing I might not react well. My mom doesn't.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did it clear quickly, though? Or were the bad effects long lasting?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Bedrest is not exactly agreeing with me. The good news is that today is Viability Day! I'm 24 weeks along. The babies have a chance if they're born now. Not a good chance, but a chance nonetheless. When I was this pregnant with Aerin, I'd already been in the hospital for 2 weeks.

The babies are doing great. As of a week-and-a-half ago, they're each 1 pound, 1 ounce. It's unusual for fraternal twins to be the exact same weight, but they're both nice and big for their age. While it's still kind of hard to tell who is kicking me where, I think Baby B is the one kicking me above the bellybutton and Baby A is the one kicking me in the groin. I really dislike it when they do flips - it gives me a weird, queasy feeling. I'm almost looking forward to the time when they get too big for somersaults.

It turns out that I will not have to go to the hospital for the duration (unless something changes). I'll only have to go for 48 hours when I get my steriod shots (to mature the babies' lungs).

quote:
I think I'm going to be scared of everything next time around, which is sad, because the birth itself was fine; it was just the aftermath.
You'll manage just fine - I know it. Eventually the aftermath fades into a blur. That's what happened with me and with almost all of the other NICU moms I know. It helps to explore your options and get in front of the problem if at all possible.

The twins will definitely be in the hospital for a while. We're hoping they can go right to the PCN and we're optimistic they won't be in as long as Aerin. I've already figured out my schedule with visiting them and taking care of Aerin and I can use that time to prepare the house and their room. It's weird - I'm totally calm about the birth and their hospital stay, it's having them home that's freaking me out. Having a special needs 3-year-old and newborn twins (whom I plan on nursing) is daunting.

Twin hormones do not improve my disposition. I've had to stop watching TLC-type baby shows because they give me blinding rages. The two worst offenders are a woman who was riding her bike while 8.5 months along and a woman who was rollerblading down a hill, without a helmet, while pushing her toddler in a stroller at 8.5 months. It makes me so furious to see women endanger themselves and their babies (and the toddler) while I'm turning my entire family's lives upside down and enduring a lot of painful tests and treatments to give my babies a chance.

imogen and cmc - I'm so happy to hear that y'all are doing well! It's going to be weird when we all deliver. There won't be any more expectant mommas on Hatrack!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I so get irritated at the TLC people. For me, it's the carseat usage. I do not think I have seen ONE baby using the carseat correctly on either Bringing Home Baby or A Baby Story in a LONG time. Between that and the amount of people who don't breastfeed because they aren't getting any support, I quit watching in frustration. And that's WITHOUT twin hormones, lol.

I don't know that I'll manage fine. I mean, I know I will, but I don't KNOW I will. I'm still dealing with depression and panic attacks as a result of being away from her. I'm going to definitely talk to my doctor about it next time, though, so he knows I'm having anxiety and can help me work it out. [Smile] And hopefully I'll be expecting again by the time you all have your babies, don't want this thread to die! [Wink] [Big Grin]

I keep meaning to send you a package. Any presents that would make your life better? Like See's (they have kosher candies available) or books or anything? [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

Yay for 24 weeks! That's a wonderful milestone.

[Big Grin]

cmc
Member # 9549

Congrats, Mrs.M, on 24 weeks!!! Actually - seeing the date - it's almost 25!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!

Pineapple's u/s results are great - she got an 8/8 on her biophysical, which I guess is like a prebirth apgar... The doc said if she's born today, she'll be fine. She wouldn't need to go in to the NICU or anything... He said worst case scenario is that she'd be jaundiced... I don't WANT her to come today, but it's nice to know that if she decided to get all crazy in there things would be okay!!!

Other than that, just finishing up getting everything ready for her. Actually about to head out to have the car seats inspected and put in and all that stuff... YEAH!

edit to say... i've gained 54 lbs during this pregnancy. holy crap. that's a LOT. but - it's all boobs, belly and a little bit of butt. hopefully it goes right out the way it came!!!! ; )

[ October 16, 2008, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: cmc ]

imogen
Member # 5485

I'm sure it will. [Smile]

I have no idea how much weight I've gained because I broke the scales a couple of months ago (NOT by standing on them....). But my trusty jeans are starting to become unwearable. Ah well, they made it to 8 months, almost (the reason I could wear them so long is they are super low rise, and were loose to start off with).

We had a talk in our birth class last night about how breastfeeding burns those calories. [Smile]

And a new (6 week) baby and her parents came to visit and to talk (well, the parents did - the baby cried) about first time parenting. It was really interesting. And the baby was very cute.

I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, which is the date my midwife will deliver from - any earlier and I have to be transferred to the main hospital, due to funding. So as long as the baby doesn't come in the next 15 1/2 hours, I think we're safe.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I gained 55 lbs. with Bridey. I'm still carrying 10 of those lbs. [Frown]
imogen
Member # 5485

I am getting impatient. And it could be 6+ weeks off.

It's not that I'm sick of being pregnant so much, but I just want to meet my baby!

Hmmph.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are scaring me with all the weight gain talk. If I am going to gain so much, I better get my butt to the gym. I am hoping for a honeymoon baby (December), but am not willing to start trying at my current weight.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Val, I don't know how heavy you are, but "plus size moms" tend to gain less and even sometimes lose during their pregnancies (and still have perfectly healthy babies.)
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're already concerned about your weight, chances are good that you'll gain less than average. I think women's bodies tend to do what is needed for the baby. With that in mind, I gain 45+ pounds each pregnancy, but I weigh under 110 when I'm not pregnant. I've always assumed that my body "knows" it needs to up my BMI for the safety of my baby and me, just in case of a famine or something. Then again, you should try not to be more careless about eating than usual just because you're pregnant. And again, some people just tend to gain weight if they look at food funny. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no guarantee that you'll be someone who gains weight fast; nor is there any guarantee that you won't.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like I was starving my whole pregnacy. We called the baby the ravenous beast in utero. Meanwhile, my coworkers felt no desire to eat their entire pregnancy. I kinda felt left out when they were talking about how their husbands had to force them to eat at every meal. They also carried higher then I did. And my cousin who can't keep food down for the entire 9 months leaves the hospital in her prepregnancy pants.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Val, I was overweight going into my pregnancy (due to PCOS and my diet and um, complete lack of exercise). I actually lost about 4 kilos in the first few months (and not through morning sickness) and then didn't gain anything until about 5 months in.

I am sure that was my body's way of regulating my weight gain, given I didn't need to gain too much! I've also found pregnancy eating to be pretty healthy - apart from some fairly serious dairy cravings (milk, chocolate, milk, ice-cream, milk - I went through 9 litres one week) I'm eating, and wanting to eat, a lot of fresh fruit, veggies and lean meat. I think it also helps that alcohol and soft cheeses are off the menu.

dkw
Member # 3264

I gained about 20 lbs with each pregnancy, and was back to pre-pregnancy weight a few weeks after delivery. This time I seem *fingers crossed* to still be slowly losing weight almost 4 months out. I'm sure the no-dairy thing is helping with that (cheese, how I miss thee!). Plus I'm tandem nursing, and that uses up a few calories.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me more about this cheese thing. Not all cheese is bad, right? Giving up all cheese would be very difficult for me, as that is the only source of calcium I have. I despise milk and calcium pills give me very painful stomach cramps and constipation.

Another question for those who have already gone through delivery: How many of you who didn't want an epidural (or other drug pain relief) change their mind due to pain being more than you thought it would be? While I haven't done my own research on the topic yet, my first instinct is to get an epidural if that is possible, but later researching my change my mind.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Cheese recommendations during pregnancy depend on where you live. The basic issue is listeria.

The Australian government recommends no soft cheeses (brie, camembert, goat's cheeses, fetta, blue etc), but I know that other governments say no cheeses from unpasteurized milk, so soft cheeses are ok as long as they are pasteurized. I've been going on the no soft cheeses generally rule - and I do love a good ripe (stinky) triple cream brie. So I miss it.

Either way, all hard cheese (cheddar, parmesan, american, edam, emmental, tomte etc etc) is ok. Also, as the issue is listeria, heat destroys the bug, so thoroughly cooked soft cheese is also fine - on pizzas, in sauces etc - so long as it is served hot.

Dkw's no dairy thing is nursing, not pregnancy related.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Just a quick check-in. I'm headed to the perinatologist this morning. So far I've had 2 negative fetal fibronectin tests (negative is good). No contractions or bleeding or dilating. This is the point in my pregnancy with Aerin where things went from bad to catastrophic, so I'm nervous. Still, I'm 25+ weeks! One week from today I'll be more pregnant than I've ever been.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
How many of you who didn't want an epidural (or other drug pain relief) change their mind due to pain being more than you thought it would be?
*raises hand*

Yay for Mrs.M! I still say we should be a cheerleading squad. [Smile]

Ready? OK!

So, how's that fetal fibronectin?
NEGATIVE!
What?
NEGATIVE!
And how's that placental connection?
POSITIVE!
What?
POSITIVE!
We got no interuterine restriction,
You've got Hatrack's benediction
Keep those two gals in ten more weeks
And you'll be full term, sweet cheeks!

GOOOOOO KIRA!

*jumps around in a hyper but good-natured manner*

Okay, so I suck as a cheerleader. But I'm pulling for you just the same!

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Another question for those who have already gone through delivery: How many of you who didn't want an epidural (or other drug pain relief) change their mind due to pain being more than you thought it would be? While I haven't done my own research on the topic yet, my first instinct is to get an epidural if that is possible, but later researching my change my mind.

If the two (2!) godawful contractrations I had during transition with Charles had been the early labor we thought it was I might have ended up having one. I think that kind of intensity for an hour or more would have worn me out. Three minutes of it was doable, though. There are some major advantages in terms of recovery time for both you and the baby in not getting the epidural, and you can always change your mind and get one if things get too bad.

Plus, you're into skydiving and extreme sports -- the adreneline high from natural childbirth is not something you should miss unless you have to.
</advocacy>

'doh! I should have left my pregnancy and childbirth books with you when we moved!

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Mrs. M!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Another question for those who have already gone through delivery: How many of you who didn't want an epidural (or other drug pain relief) change their mind due to pain being more than you thought it would be?

I went into it with an open mind. I wanted to try things as long as I could without it. I was induced, so I knew that would up my chances of wanting an epidural, but I was still waiting to see how things went. I ended up with an epidural when I was between 5 and 6 cm. My doctor had suggested I might want it for when he inserted a contraction monitor (which he had to do twice and it was pretty unpleasant), but the anesthesiologist didn't make it in time for that. It ended up being a good thing I had one because I was extremely tired (I'd been up for about 30 hours at that point and contracting like crazy for most of it) and after a few more more hours stuck at 6cm I ended up with a c-section (and having the epidural already there made it quicker to get the section done).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.