FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note (Page 9)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Your Stargate News Center - Stargate SG1 Side Note
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Alternately, an alternate universe. I mean, where else is there to go?

I think that would be fun, although it would be tough to do right. If that is the case, I hope they take a look at Sliders to see how the concept has both incredible promise but can also go horribly wrong.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Go horribly wrong in the sense that the series was dragged out way too long, and as a result all the original characters died and you're left wondering why they're even bothering to keep going?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Stargate has a bonus in the way that they would presumably be able to come back.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to guess I'd say it's some sort of dimensional travel, but the evidence against that is that they already have Ancient devices that push thing through different dimensions AND realities.

That leads me to believe it is some sort of measurement of distnace. 8th chevron is for another galaxy. Maybe the 9th takes you to a different cluster of galaxies? Seems like a much too simplistic measurement to make, but I think time traveling Stargate would be WEIRD. Are they going to do a combination of Enterprise's Temporal Cold War and Sliders' Cromags as the bad guys? I think it'd be odd unless they've come up with some sort of hook. It'd have to be good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
S4 isn't quite living up to S3, IMO, but I still like it. Last week's episode was fun, though I definitely got flashbacks from the crystals-Sheppard interaction.

I think MEC's right about time travel. The failed device in Window of Opportunity makes it pretty clear the Ancients didn't have time travel when they built the stargates.

One possiblity I just thought of (though I doubt this is it), is maybe the 9th chevron acts as a security measure. Maybe there's a set of planets scattered throughout the galaxy (or galaxies) that have been hidden by the Ancients for some secret-but-very-important reason. They can only be reached by successfully dialing a nine-chevron address. Researchers (or one of the SG1/SGA teams) stumble across one of the addresses and the exploration begins. Just an idea.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Teshi essentially got what I was hinting at, although they should also avoid the MEC thing too [Wink] On that note, sometimes I wonder if Atlantis is killing off way too many people.

An alternate universe concept can suffer just as much from "universe of the week" as Stargate itself can suffer from "planet of the week". Sliders had it especially bad since they (and I'm going to limit my discussion to seasons 1 and 2) could not go back to a planet and always had to scramble for the timer at the end of an episode. Any sense of continuity and consequences really suffered.

Also, creating new universes is a hard creative task and eventually the whole thing devolved into "movie parody of the week".

It is actually a bit heart-breaking if you read about the behind the scenes shenanigans that occurred since the writers knew about many of the problems but were overruled in their attempts to fix anything...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Recent interviews with producer Joe Mallozzi reveal that work will already begin on S5 of SGA in early 2008, which means we can hopefully look forward to a S5 with little to no break, much like (thankfully!) this year.

He also spoke about the problem with ratings. SGA according to research is the MOST DVR'd show on all of television (that might be a diss, it means everyone loves it, but they've got something better to watch until they can get around to it), and that Sci-Fi Network is the most DVR'd network on television. But Nielson ratings don't account for any sort of alternative viewing format. Market research has shown that their ratings might actually be 78% higher than they are currently when you account for alternative viewing formats. I guess the Sci-Fi likes those numbers if they ordered another season.

Mallozzi also said that SGU (Stargate Universe) has NOT in any way shape or form been put in the backburner by this decision, and that Brad Wright and others (the guys who helmed SG1) are moving full steam ahead on it, and that we'll be hearing a lot of details in the weeks to come. Considering I believe they are looking at it being released in the 08-09 season (and since it's filmed in Canada, I wonder if that exempts them from the current strike fear that is looming over Hollywood), I have to imagine that means casting and writing will start in early 08. In other words, I'll hopefully be getting plot and casting news to you guys in the next couple months.

Ratings for SGA for S4 have been holding steady, and for the most part I think they've got some quality TV going up there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
(and since it's filmed in Canada, I wonder if that exempts them from the current strike fear that is looming over Hollywood)

The answer to that is maybe. If it is a Canadian production then I think Canadian citizens can work on it without fear of repercussions from the guild, however American writers can't.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well the answer is that Carl Binder, a lead writer and producer on Atlantis, has returned to LA after finishing his work on S4 to join the picket lines. As they have already begun pitching ideas for S5, Binder will not be involved in this process, maybe at all, until the strike is over.

As for SGU:

quote:
Stargate Universe is the working title for the third Stargate TV series and is being created by Robert C. Cooper and Brad Wright. According to Darren Sumner of Gateworld, Cooper and Wright recently pitched the new series to the Sci Fi Channel, and according to Mallozzi, it was a “revised pitch”, meaning that some things have changed from their initial outline. Early versions of the new series’ premise included its taking place in the present and offering chances for current Stargate characters to cross over. Whether or not the ninth chevron premise still applies is also unknown, since we don’t really know what parts of the pitch were “revised”.
No word yet on what that revised pitch involves. Pursuant to the other thread just started on Stargate, I'll try to find info on the Asgard and getting their tech into the Pegasus, but I'm pretty sure I remember that question having been answered before, and I think you'll see it soon. Keep in mind that S4 takes place RIGHT AFTER S10 of SG-1, so they haven't really had a lot of time to get that tech up and running. What you're really asking is will the Odyssey, with its Asgard tech, make it to Pegasus, and I think it will.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
They could revisit the universes they influenced with that mirror thing.

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't stand the mirror episodes, and kind of wish that they had never been introduced.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's been a little while since we've done some SG1 news, or anything not really Atlantis based, but here you go:

First of, Joe Mallozzi, of SGA, has called Michael Shanks and asked him if he would like to guest star on an "episode or two" of SGA at some point in S5. Shanks agreed, as he'll be somewhat free, being only a recurring guest star on fellow SG1 cast member Chris Judge's show "Rage of Angels." Shanks' only condition was that he not die while guest starring. Apparently he doesn't want Daniel to come that close to double digit deaths.

You can follow this link for some production photos of "Ark of Truth."

The other big news, also dropped by Shanks, was that there is already a third SG1 DVD movie being talked about. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, who were the show runners on SG1 and will run SGU (if it gets made), have already pitched an idea for a movie to MGM. But while they can still produce, they are WGA members, and will not be allowed to write ANY script for the movie, or for SGU episodes. They join SGA's Carl Binder in being hamstrung by the strike, whereas all the other writers are actually Writers Guild of CANADA members, which I just found out. Either someone else will have to write the scripts, or production will have to wait.

It might be a bit premature to start a third movie before the state of the franchise is really assessed with all the recent changes. I bet a greenlight will depend on sales of the AoT. If it does well enough, the next one will be justified. SGA is seeing a slight rebound in their ratings, and if things keep up the way they have been lately, I'd say it's well deserved. I'll be watching Friday night for sure.

Even with them not being able to write, I still expect more SGU news in the coming weeks from Binder and Cooper.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some more news. Sorry I didn't get to it earlier, but the complete series was on sale on Amazon on Tuesday for $179.99, for anyone who caught it. The price I think now is something like $229.99.

July of 2008 is the set date for the release of Continuum, and it's been revealed that while at the end of most alternate universe stories, the situation is not only usually set back to zero, but the characters don't usually remember what happened, in this story, they will remember everything, and there will be small changes that we'll see at the end.

From the sound of it, the special effects are going to be pretty sweet too. There will be battles between Gliders and Strike Eagles over the Atlantic.

It's sounding better than I thought it would. Also from the sound of things, Brad Wright is progressing on his pitch for Stargate Universe, though there are still no words on what the changes were from the original idea.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Here is the first video promo for the Ark of Truth. Clearly it has some clips from "Camelot" in it, but there's some new stuff in it too, plus it looks all dramatic.

Word is that Jewel Staite is going to get a LOT of screen time in the second half of this season, and she will play a very prominent role in Season 5. The writers and producers absolutely love her, despite some negative fan reaction.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I promised to come back with more recent answers on the Asgard questions in that other thread, and going back in time (looking back at Joe Mallozzi's blogs from six months ago) I found two very short answers to two questions.

Question: What happened to Asgard ships when they died?

Answer: That remains to be seen

Question: Will we see Asgard weapons from SG1 in SGA to fight the Wraith?

Answer: Wait and see.

Generally I've found when he's vague like that it's because he doesn't want to offer up a flippant answer, knowing that they'll probably do something on the show to answer your questions. Wait and see especially looks like they have something planned for some point in the fourth season, so I'd wait, I bet you're going to get an answer to your question at some point this season. So far as I know, there isn't any other information, even rumors, out there with more of an answer than that.

MEC
Member # 2968

I haven't yet caught up on SG-1, so I was pretty shocked when you said they died. So I looked it up and saw they all committed suicide and I was even more shocked.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sorry, I don't bother with spoiler warnings anymore because this thread is beyond rife with them.

And I'd call it less a suicide and more a...strategic withdrawel. They were on the verge of dying anyway, and decided to go out the best way they possibly could, or at least, the most advantageous way to preserve what they felt were the most important things to them.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's still suicide. Just like a "mercy killing" is still murder.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

True.

New details on the mid-season finale "This Mortal Coil," and it looks pretty cool. I think SG1 actually did something like this, when that Harlan guy (comtriya!) made machine duplicates of the team and they discovered they weren't real but then went out on missions later. Still this is cool, and it I think will explain the explosion they saw in "The Seer" so the city will remain undamaged.

I watched "Miller's Crossing" last night and thought it was awesome. Maybe not as good as the last time Kate Hewlett guest starred, but still very good. This season as a whole has I think been an impressive turn for the series as a whole.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Alrighty -

Michael Shanks has been contacted on doing an episode or episodes of Atlantis for Season 5, and he is okay with it, they just need to get the scripts passed around. Season 4 is supposed to end in a huge cliffhanger that will be wrapped up in Season 5, but apparently a big focus of Season 5 is going to be the introduction of new races, both friend and foe. New friends should be cool, we already have enough bad guys (though maybe new bad guy means getting rid of the Genii, the Wraith and the Replicators? PLEASE!!!!), but it's been awhile since we've had an Asgard type race to deal with, especially now that our technology has really come a long way, we aren't helpless anymore.

Here is an extremely long recap of the Burbank Stargate Con. It's chock full of information, some of it spoilers from new stuff coming, and some of it some funny looks back at SG1 and SGA stuff from previous seasons. I won't recape it, you'll just have to read it, but there's some fun stuff in there.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Miller's Crossing" was pretty good. It was a fair bit darker than I'm used to associating with SGA, which is not a bad thing. At all. John looks a lot better when he's all dark and tortured. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"This Mortal Coil" was a good mid-season ender. Well done, good dialogue, nice plot and scary ending.

Reports have it that Jason Momoa (Ronon) has cut off his dreadlocks. He said they weighed almost seven pounds and literally hurt his neck during fight scenes. But, he saved them and the makeup department turned them into a wig that he'll wear during shoots. It'll be a two day process to get it attached to his head, but he said it's worth it to save both Dex's image, and his neck during the hiatus from shooting.

Atlantis comes back in early January.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

First and foremost, Ark of Truth is available for pre-order on Amazon for 30% off, at $18.99. The firm release date is March 11th.

Now for Atlantis, and I'm going to post the rare spoiler warning for spoilers about the end of S4:
In "The Last Man," the final episode of the fourth season, the SGA team will return to Atlantis from a mission to find the city abandoned and the ocean gone, replaced by sand dunes as far as the eye can see.

Writers have already started to work on S5, and so far the first episode of the season is titled "Search and Rescue" but Mallozzi is keeping mum on who is searching and who is in need of rescuing.

The cliffhanger was planned even before they got the pickup for Season 5. Mallozzi and the others figured that even if they didn't get the nod, they'd find another way to get the story told, much like Brad Wright and the SG1 team are getting the Ori arc done.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay!

So I have a bit of news that will probably be well recieved here. I'll start with the Atlantis news. In "Be All My Sins Remember'd," the next episode when Atlantis returns in early January, we're going to see some slambang CGI fights [Smile]

Now that they are able to track all the Replicator ships in the galaxy, they'll be busy trying to evacuate worlds in the path of Replicator ships. Faced with a vast fleet of bad guys, The Apollo and Dadelus return to the Pegasus galaxy loaded with Asgard technology and weapons, prepared to face down the enemy fleet. Complicating or maybe helping matters, is the arrival of Larrin, leader of the Travelers (I still haven't seen that episode). McKay meanwhile thinks the best way to defeat the Replicators lies elsewhere, not in ships and weapons.

It looks to be a SWEET episode, and we'll finally see Asgard weapons in the Pegasus, as requested by many who participate in this thread. [Smile]

New pictures have been added to the photo gallery of Ark of Truth. Nothing special, but you can see Doci, who was in the first episode with the Ori. I like the actor, and the character, little of him though we've seen. Something about his archaic language and accent is appealing.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Kate Hewlett will briefly guest star in the last episode of S4 of Atlantis. Kate describes it as a "blink and you'll miss it," cameo.

There's some fun information here in an interview with Joe Mallozzi on S4 and upcoming plans for S5.

Atlantis returns I think next weekend (or this weekend?) with Be All My Sins Remember'd, which is described as a tearjerker, and is supposed to have amazing effects.

They go back to the studio to start shooting S5 in late February.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sweet sassy molassey! Did anyone else see Be All My Sins Remember'd? It was awesome! That was the best space battle I've seen on tv since the last season of Star Trek DS9! I didn't see the tearjerker angle to it that was described, but the effects were amazing. There were alliances between foes, a massive battle, cool...stuff, and an interesting twist at the end. I won't ruin it for now, you all can bring it up after you see it, but it's an interesting new dynamic.
MEC
Member # 2968

I haven't been watching this season (I've been trying to catch up first), but maybe I'll make an exception for the episode you just described.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Watch This Mortal Coil too, it's a three parter that finishes up next week, so you'll want to know what led up to Be All My sins.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get the tearjerker, either. And I'm pregnant. But it was a freakin' good episode.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm still startled in general by how much better I think SGA has gotten this season. I was, well maybe not ready to write them off, but I had serious concerns at the end of S3. With a few exceptions, it was all one dimensional plot lines, lack of character development, run of the mill non-arc episodes. It was stale and boring.

But they've REALLY turned things around. Interesting plot twists, neat looks into the characters, the new characters are a lot of fun, the effects are blowing me away, especially with all the shiny new toys they have. I'm really looking forward to the second half of this season, to the movie that's coming out soon, and to the Fall. Heck I'm even excited for news of the third series.

Then again take that with a grain of salt, I get excited pretty easily.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been startled by how little I've like Sam as the commander of Atlantis.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

To be honest, I thought the episode was overrated. The battle was fun to watch, but the best since DS9 ended? Meh.
We've had many battles in BSG which are both more stylish and more interesting on a tactical level and even on Stargate itself we've had a variety of fun battles including my personal favourite, the various bits of Atlantis in The Siege or the battle over Antarctica.
I'm just not a big fan of battles where big ships just show up, get in close, and start bombarding each other with no real sense of tactics. Also, the only way the plot works is that fact that the enemy is rather incompetent. They should have access to lifesign detectors just like Atlantis does and should certainly have had them setup after the last trip to the homeworld. The enemy vessels should have been destroying ships left and right with drones given that we've seen Aurora class vessels, even recently repaired and not fully operational, destroy a Wraith hive ship in one salvo....but yet, only one dinky ship on "our" side was destroyed?

Despite all this, I did enjoy it and thought it was a fun popcorn ride. But I'm not *that* impressed with it.

I guess that the tearjerker angle was the replicator android that sacrificed itself there? Maybe we were supposed to sympathise with it more and maybe there were some cut scenes there due to the amount of stuff they had to pack in the episode?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Considering how little I was liking Weir, Sam is alright as a replacement, just nothing special.

The BSG battles were cool, just never BIG. I've always liked BSG battles, they're cool conventional battles, nothing flashy, good on tactics. I just like the flashy stuff [Smile] I think several of the ships on "our" side were destroyed, but we only counted the one Travelers ship as a real loss. Who cares if we lose a Hive ship?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So I saw Ark of Truth. Yes, I know it doesn't come out until March or so, but, I saw it. It wasn't quite finished (some of the effects were unfinished, but the story and music was all there).

I liked it. It did have the feeling of being a whole season crammed into an hour and forty minutes (which is exactly what it was), but it was a GOOD 100 minutes of television. I'm almost sad that the 11th season never got done, because I'd almost forgotten how much fun SG1 was. It would've been 100 times better with RDA. I'm glad they didn't get bogged down in the moral issue, which was important don't get me wrong, and I think would have been fun to see drawn out over a couple episodes in a season, I think it would've eaten up too much time in a movie.

There weren't as many graphics or shoot 'em up slam bang effects as I thought there'd be (the Odyssey didn't even shoot anything!), but I get enough of that on Atlantis.

I'll go into a spoiler laden review here:

SPOILER ALERT
Okay, the dumbest part of this? They found yet ANOTHER way to bring the Replicators back. The gist is that they take the Odyssey to the Ori galaxy, but when they get there, the IOA rep on the ship creates a replicator, in the hopes that it can be sent to the Ori ships to destroy them. Instead, OF COURSE, it starts to eat the Odyssey, and soon they have a full blown infestation. So they fight it off, and while they do that, Vala, Daniel, Tomin and Teal'c find the Ark of Truth (which amazingly everyone before them somehow missed, but hey, it's TV!). The four of them then get captured, with the Ark, and brought before the Doci and Adria (she's back and better than ever!). They get rescued, more or less, by Morgan LeFey (I really DO like Sarah Strange, even in small snippets), who distracts Adria and sets up a situation where they can convert the Doci with the Ark and in that way, change the entire Ori galaxy so that none of them believe in Origin, which weakens Adria and allows Morgan to take her on like Oma Desala did to Anubis. That part was pretty cool, and not just because of my schoolboy crush on Sarah Strange. So then they win, come back to the Milky Way, and they use the Ark on a Prior they'd recently captured (a familiar face) and thereby turn everyone against the Ori in the Milky Way. Quick finish, but it was supposed to stretch over some 800 minutes instead of 100, so, not bad all things considered. I liked it. I'm looking forward to Contiuum as a story that doesn't have quite so much riding on it plot wise and can maybe take the time to enjoy itself a little more, as clearly the writers aren't out of somewhat decent story and the actors still click. Plus there's supposed to be a cool fight scene in it [Smile]

All in all? Hardcore fans will want to buy this one, somewhat fans will want to rent it. It's worth it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And hardcore fans short on money will want to Netflix it and watch it repeatedly for three months before returning it. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sorry, I forgot that middle ground category. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
And hardcore fans short on money will want to Netflix it and watch it repeatedly for three months before returning it. [Wink]

Or they could probably borrow it from someone. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Lyrhawn - Are you really not going to tell us how you got to see it? [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, my brother called me the other day and said "hey, when's that Stargate movie supposed to be coming out?" And I said "Well, March I think." And he said "well yeah, cause I've got it, wanna see?"

To which I said, "No! That's an illegal bootleg and you stole it and I refuse. I'll wait until March."

And then he said "yeah but, it's Stargate."

To which I said "....yeah okay!" And then I watched it. I consoled myself by saying that I plan to buy it anyway, so it's not STEALING, it's..some sort of early borrowing.

I wish I had a cooler story, like, the Stargate people, realizing the support I've given the show over the months since I started this thread, decided to let me be an early reviewer of the movie so I could spread the word or some such. But nope.

Miro
Member # 1178

Grrr.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Aw! I really liked this week's episode. It was a great example of how simple character exposition, just people sitting in rooms talking to each other can be more entertaining and rewarding than the episodes where crap gets blown up.

SPOILER
I really liked Keller and Ronon! As soon as you saw the pairings of who was stuck together, I was like, okay Zalenka and Carter is NEVER going to happen, and it'll be awkward, and thankfully it wasn't. But I really liked Ronon and Keller, they really made that work, and I hope they don't just leave it there.

On the other hand, what happened with Katie and McKay was really sad. I got the impression at the end that when she said goodbye, that was it for them. I liked the two of them, what little we saw, even though after dating for so long, and apparently that close to marriage, they still seemed fairly awkward around each other. I didn't see them getting married for real, but I think Rodney's character growth in response to their relationship was good, and funny as he is being a bit of a prick, I liked cool Rodney "McKay and Mrs. Miller." I'd like to see him slowly move towards that, keeping some of his little foibles.

So while I don't think they should have gotten married, it's sad that he lost everything there, especially when I think he was making a really responsible choice when he said they shouldn't get married. And it seems like he's been punished for it. Sad.

End Spoiler

I predict next week I will rail against the episode. It features, wait for it, the Genii, my LEAST FAVORITE MOST HATED villain in the Stargate universe. What the hell is wrong with those guys?!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers.

I hated Keller and Ronon. It came out of left field and should probably have stayed there. I can see them as friends, and I can't really disagree with Keller wanting to jump Ronon (let's face it, he's pretty hot). I suppose my main beef with it is the sudden onset (which, tangentially, is why I hate Ginny Weasley). The pairings were obvious (and really, Zelenka was adorable with Carter, if misguided and entirely hopeless), and for the most part they worked. Rodney and Katie was almost heartbreaking and very nicely played.

This was a somewhat fun episode. I, too, dislike the Genii, but I'm always a fan of the "John 'n' Rodney Show," so I'm not too worried about it.

(end spoilers)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I really like these kinds of episodes-- all about the characters, just enough drama to keep it interesting. And yes, I'm a realationship junkie, so I love to see developments in that line.

SPOILERS

I liked Keller and Ronon, more for the development of Keller's less-explored character than anything else. As for Rodney and Katie, well, I winced when he said "Why?" Because it's such a Rodney thing to say, and I knew the exact "right answer" the one that, even if he decided later he wasn't ready for marriage right then (which, let's face it, he already knew-- "I'm not ready to set a date") would have saved the relationship and allowed it to grow. He can be such an idiot about interpersonal stuff.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I winced too, it was just totally the wrong thing to say, ESPECIALLY in light of how her face lit up when she realized he was going to ask. I can totally believe he bungled that so badly, but it seems sucky to lose the relationship after so little on screen time was spent with them.

But still, character growth for Rodney, so, I guess it still served a purpose, a good purpose.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't know that it's totally gone. Definitely not the hottest thing going right now, but there could be hope for them.

The way it ended, well, I wouldn't be surprised if we see (or rather, hear of, since Katie's not a big-time main character) her dating other people and then them getting back together at some point in time.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and I was so glad I wasn't drinking or eating anything when she was stroking that cactus, or I would have choked and/or spit it all over myself. [ROFL]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I know! Oh my god I laughed SO LOUD during the cactus thing.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh, and I was so glad I wasn't drinking or eating anything when she was stroking that cactus, or I would have choked and/or spit it all over myself. [ROFL]

Totally!

It sure looked like she was LEAVING at the end of the ep -- she had a cart full of her favorite plants, neh?

And guys, I think the ship has probably sailed on the whole spoiler thing. [Wink]

I thought the four male-female pairs setup was both odd and telegraphing something. Ronon-Keller was only a tiny bit more believable than Sam-Radek -- better off without any romantic pairing (other than the Rodney-Katie one, natch).

Overall, good episode. Even if Teyla has experienced the same she-looks-10-times-more-pregnant-than-last-week! thing that my coworker keeps doing. [Wink]

Also, Rodney is 4 years younger than me? GAH! >_<

Loved the 42 bit, though. [Big Grin]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So some changes are in store.

First off, the main core of Ronon, Sheppard, and Teyla are confirmed coming back, and though no deal has been announced for David Hewlett, it is believed he is back too, so the main team is in.

Amanda Tapping will no longer be the commander of Atlantis. Word is, though it will not be a member of the main team, it WILL be someone we're familiar with. Favorite speculations include Col. Caldwell and Richard Woolsey. Tapping will be leaving Atlantis entirely, though might be back for a few episodes next season, and will be in the season premiere.

There will be a new recurring (possibly regular cast member) named Captain Allison Porter. We don't now who is playing her yet. She will be a member of the military contingent.

There should be a big press release tomorrow to discuss some of the changes to the cast.

Mucus
Member # 9735

I'm hoping for Assistant Director Skinner [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
It sure looked like she was LEAVING at the end of the ep -- she had a cart full of her favorite plants, neh?
I didn't think it was that easy to leave Atlantis. [Wink]

I was thinking she was just in the middle of her work and he interrupted her-- typically-- and it was metaphorical of her now moving on from their reltionship, at least temporarily, maybe. But that doesn't mean "no hope."

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping for Assistant Director Skinner [Wink]

[ROFL] I TOTALLY do that every time, too.
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.