FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Welcome!
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Juniper,
Thanks for the warm welcome, but uh, I didn't say anything about anime, that was Ark. I actually really hate anime (sorry).

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leanne
Member # 4456

- posted      Profile for Leanne   Email Leanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this for new members huh?
Here goes nuffin- I'm Leanne (obviously) Additced to OSC, the best I consider is Ender's Shadow. I'm a sophmore who's taking way to many hard classes. I love anime and manga (just had to add that after previous comment about anime ^.~) Not all that much to say 'bout me up front, I've got AIM i'm YuiFY3 if you'd care to look me up. Talk later loves-

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akma
Member # 4345

- posted      Profile for Akma   Email Akma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm a newcomer, believe it or not, I just noticed this thread, so I am a little thread. I am somewhat disappointed. There are so many people who posted here, yet very few have written anything. Don't be afraid to post. I have found that if the topic doesn't go well, it either changes into something really interesting, or it just goes away, just post your opinions. I am speaking for myself saying I wont get mad, and I can't speak for these theory people, but I will defend you if God forbid anyone flames you.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevin%kuhl
Member # 4457

- posted      Profile for kevin%kuhl   Email kevin%kuhl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi just like to post here as well I'm also a member of VBS. Interested in acting, anime too (just bought Akira Special Edition), skiing etc.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leanne
Member # 4456

I was just woundering- is Shadow Puppets the end or dose OSC plan another, I'll go insane with the ending he left us in Puppets! *sob* the horror! No more Bean- is their such a thing? *sigh* I should add that I'm a little on the dramatic side ^.~
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Leanne: Yes, there will be another book.

*SPOILER WARNING*

But Bean will still die.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Bean dies? ah..... how do you know this?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leanne
Member # 4456

Now I can't make up my mind: do a happy dance for another book, or pout about him dieing anyway. >.< bah humbug, oh well I knew he'd go in the end. His entire story was leading up to it. I wonder who the antagonist will be now that-

SPOILER WARNING

Achilles dies.... *ponders*
Thank you for the info tho ^_^

Akma
Member # 4345

- posted      Profile for Akma   Email Akma         Edit/Delete Post 
Arghhh. Is this true for anyone else? Spoiler just wants to make me read it more! Oh, well, I guess I knew Card was leading up to it.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"how do you know this?"

*MORE MINOR SPOILERS*

Because OSC told me.
If you're on this site long enough, you'll also hear how the Alvin Maker books will end. *grin*

Of course, he ALSO said that he was never going to write another book that took place after Children of the Mind, and he's now announced that he's working on one that will introduce one of Bean's children to Peter and Wang-Mu. So who knows?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leanne
Member # 4456

O.O you have to much insider information! Bah! *does big happy dance* whoo-hoo! I feel like a child, that is such good news! Downside- how long before we get the books?
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
(Yeah, damander, I know that, that's why I wrote that sentence on a new line....)

HELLO ALL YOU NEW PEOPLE!!!

And Kevin, I'm on VBS too!!! (D_Arison)- Nice to see ya here!

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
v_girl
Member # 3518

- posted      Profile for v_girl           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I registered awhile ago, but didn't start posting until recently. I post more at Pweb...

My name is Catherine, I'm 17 (and a half!) and I started reading Ender's Game when I was 12 and haven't stopped since. I've read the Alvin series, and am finishing up Homecoming right now, as well as various other singles by OSC. I'm a senior in high school, I like math, I play the violin, and I like to read.. hehe.

so.. hi! *waves*

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

Hi!!! Welcome... I think I remember you...

I'm 14, freshman, and I love to read and play viola! So welcome! *hug*

iceaxe
Member # 4513

- posted      Profile for iceaxe   Email iceaxe         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bite. This isn't my first post, but it is my first day. More detailed bio stuff than is strictly necessary can be found in my reply to JuniperDreams in another thread, but here we go:

age thirtysomethingthatIforget. I'm a '68 model, anyway.

I've read every OSC novel, many short stories as well.

I must say, however, that Walter M. Miller's _A Canticle For Liebowitz_ is still my favorite SF novel to date. Sorry, Scott.

I have an uncle and aunt who write (prolificly), having published somewhere around 200 novels between them, though only a rare few fall into the F/SF genres.

I have a 13 year old step-daughter (who will never be referred to as "step" henceforth, lest she step on my neck) who aspires to publish fictions of the fantasy variety, being taken with Tolkien and having considerable raw talent as well. Perhaps I should introduce her to this place.

My two younger kiddos are not writers-to-be, at least not yet. One is too fascinated with his dreams of Major League Baseball, and the other still struggles to expand her vocabulary beyond "da da" and "ball".

Lest my verbosity overtake me, I'll conclude by saying that I've finally reached a point in my life where I've lived enough to feel like I have something to say. Watch out, world!

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValentineNicole
Member # 4511

- posted      Profile for ValentineNicole   Email ValentineNicole         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm brand new, and today is my first day posting. I absolutely love Orson Scott Card and his books! I've read all of the Ender series, what's out of the Shadow series, the Homecoming series, Lost Boys, Treasure Box, The Worthing Saga, and many other books that I'm too tired to think of right now Currently I'm reading Songmaster, which is amazing! Hatrack seems really fun, so I'll probably stick around for a while Some of you may already know me as ValentineWiggin at Pweb
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm new here, so I thought I'd jump in with a post here. I live in central California, which means I have lots of time to read because about the only other thing to do around here is watch the grapes grow. That's a joke - it's a lot better than it was a few years ago. Besides reading, I write, I look for work (something that hasn't gotten better here, as we've got about a sixteen percent unemployment rate locally), I occasionally work as props handler for a local ballet company (two shows a year), I tutor high school and college students in history, political science, anthropology, and writing to try to make ends meet, and I take care of my mother, who hasn't been well lately.

I was brought up on science fiction, but I read just about everything. I am blessed or cursed to be interested in a lot of things. That's one of the things I like about these forums: lots of different topics are touched on. I'm looking forward to interesting disucssions.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Whats up. I'm prolixshore, and I've been posting things for about a week, but I didn't feel like posting here til now. So sue me. I'm 32, I live on the east coast, and some of you may know me as I am a fairly visible radio dj. So I won't tell you what city else you might be angry at something i said here and stop listening. Anyhow, was bored while watchin my raiders play tennessee, so i posted this. Go Raiders!!

--Prolixshore

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn
Member # 4519

- posted      Profile for Eowyn   Email Eowyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm new.

I'm 16 years old. I love fantasy. I'm a great fan of Tolkien, OSC, and L'Engle. I love music- classical, that is: Tchaikowsky, Albeniz, Rachmaninoff, etc., etc., etc.). I like reading and writing and singing and cooking and traveling and philosophy and . . . *takes deep breath*

OSC RULES!!

Okay. I'm done now.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
altaris
Member # 4310

- posted      Profile for altaris   Email altaris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody ! I already made a post here ; but I just realized that I almost didn't say anything about myself (I know, it's not particulary interesting...) and since I'm still a new member (it's been only a month since I'm here), I thought I could write it now
So here it goes : I'm 17 and study law in Paris (I LOVE that city). the things I like are (besides OSC's books, of course...) reading, computers, friends (I mean : being with my friends, of course), japanims, cats (those pets are fantastic !!!), movies... well I think that's all.
Welcome to all the other "newbies" on this forum

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

Hey everybody!!! Welcoooomme!
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Words cannot express the happiness I feel when lurking or posting on these boards.

Although I posted to political threads at first, I think I'll concentrate on humor and fluff threads for awhile.

I hope to meet some of you someday.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Everyone is so Y O U N G! I feel like I'm in the wrong place.

[ July 01, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: UTAH ]

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
oh cool! There is a welcome mat! Is it technologically feasible to pin it in place so it doesn't disappear?

(aside to Utah: I enjoy your posts)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RKatchep
Member # 5363

- posted      Profile for RKatchep           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone,

I am a 28 year old living in New York. I am a HUGE Orson Scott Card fan and video game enthusiast. I am overjoyed at the fact that Card is doing a video game! I usually don't post to fan sites and such, but I wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who is anticipating the OSC game, Advent Rising. I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Filetted, you make me feel warmly welcome.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwynaria
Member # 5365

- posted      Profile for Gwynaria   Email Gwynaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks. I'm 18, from a very small place in New England, and I'm so looking forward to college. [Big Grin] I hope I can talk as well as the rest of you. I'm a writer, so usually this kind of format works better than if I was using vocal cords [Razz]
And to my WheatPuppet, the guy who got me interested in the first place, well... [Wink] You know [Big Grin]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

Welcome Gwynaria.

There are some excellent threads for testing and honing your writing skills.

As a relative (and sometimes confused) newcomer, I appreciate your introduction.

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VenomsValentine
Member # 5359

- posted      Profile for VenomsValentine   Email VenomsValentine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm a long-time OSC fan but I just never got around to visiting the site. I'm 25, mommy of one (one year old) so far, live in Indiana and love fantasy lit. (I'm not so big on sci-fi, but I read some). I majored in French and English at ECU in North Carolina. Wish I'd been able to swing by UNCG and take an OSC seminar or something before I moved so far inland.Oh well. I looked up the site because I missed academia-call for papers, literary discussion, etc. For the past year I've been trapped in the world of Goodnight Moon with no hope of reprieve. I am trying to write a fantasy story for which I have the plot, characters, ending and most of the middle but am stuck for how to begin it. I've read OSC's books on writing and have been reading his writing class posts for help. I'm LDS, by the way. Well I guess that's it about me. [Smile]
Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I just (as in a couple of hours ago) finished up my first year of medical school. I am a little older than most of my classmates, 27 in a couple weeks, becuase I took a couple years off during undergrad (guess why!) and then took some time off before going to med school. Married, 2 little girls, 4 and 6 months.

I first read Ender's Game back in junior high, and have since been hooked. I also (as many, I am sure) enjoy writing, have a book ( [Roll Eyes] ) I am working on and some short fiction under my belt. I mostly post and read game forums (huge PC game fan) but decided to broaden my horizons and came here.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not precisely new. But otoh, I don't post much, and I don't remember if I ever introduced myself. <shrug>

In any case, I'm Rivka. I've been a fan of OSC's books since (I had to check the copyright date) 1986, right after _Speaker for the Dead_ came out. Someone recommended it and _Ender's Game_ to me. I rapidly devoured everything else of his I could find. I still do. [Smile]

I'm a divorced mother of three, and an Orthodox Jew. I live in S. California. I think that about covers it. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xuefeng_89
Member # 5376

- posted      Profile for xuefeng_89   Email xuefeng_89         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a student living in Singapore and I came here to do research on a project i'm doing.
I started reading the Ender and Shadow series after a certain book review one of my classmates did.

*Eowyn, you like L'Engle too?!

[ July 07, 2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: xuefeng_89 ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari_Seldon
Member # 5375

- posted      Profile for Hari_Seldon   Email Hari_Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
First time posting after reading EG a few times over the years. I'm not a big forum person so I never looked to see if there was discussion on OSC and his work. Happy to see that there is!
Hope to banter with everyone soon.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-i am fairly new. I seem to have a problem with posting often because i get so caught up in reading everything. I love reading OSC's books and that is why i joined-plus for the fun conversations [Smile] . Anyways-i just wanted to say hi!
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xuefeng_89
Member # 5376

- posted      Profile for xuefeng_89   Email xuefeng_89         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about reading everything.That's the one thing that keeps me on forums after a looooong time.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hushidh
Member # 3511

- posted      Profile for Hushidh   Email Hushidh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm new!

Actually I've had this name registered for a while and forgot about it... but I'm posting now.

Ender's Game I started reading originally because when I was 13 years old, a former crush of mine recommended it. From then I was hooked. That was 7 years ago. I've reread Ender's Game more times than I could possibly say. I've read almost every single published book by OSC and loved 90% of them and liked another 8%. Interesting side note: my favorite computer games of all time are the Monkey Island games, and apparently the "swordfighting insults" on the original were written by OSC! What a pleasant coincidence [Smile]

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoodyDay
Member # 5385

- posted      Profile for GoodyDay   Email GoodyDay         Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone, I'm new today.
My name is April and I'm in Illinois.
I'm really happy to have found this place and to hear that a new book is out in November.
I was getting really tired of reading the same ones over and over.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

welcome new folks! My name is Julie and I'll be your activities coordinator on the Love ... er... the Minn... no, um.. Good Ship Lo... crap!

*turns around*

"Hey captain?! captain?! what's the name of this boat again?"

*to the new folks*

"ok, my name isn't really Julie, I dunno what this boat is called or where it's headed. If you happen to figure it out, please lemme know. I'll be in the hull, on ice. "

Jason R. Peters
Member # 5430

- posted      Profile for Jason R. Peters   Email Jason R. Peters         Edit/Delete Post 
New member, introducing myself.

I'm a fan of Card's work (duh.)

I'm an aspiring writer (that follows) in the middle of my first novel.

I'm a philosophy and theology major at private Lutheran school. (I once heard Card advise aspiring writers not to major in English.)

I also work for my school, which pays tuition, but means I can only take classes part time.

I'm turning 24 in a month and a half, single, devastatingly handsome...er, okay, I embellished. Oops. Send an email if you want to greet me, I won't be checking back with this thread for awhile.

Peace.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

I'm 28, and I've been an Orson Scott Card fan for a long time, since I first read Ender's Game years ago.

I've read all his books except the Alvin Maker Series, which I'm saving just in case there's an OSC drout some time in the future. (I actually have a yet-undiagnosed phobia which concerns this.)

I'm an aspiring writer and a recently uncloseted fantasy-obsessive. (The LOTR movies finally made it acceptable to be a pale, dweeby fantasy enthusiast.) I'm an Orson Scott Card-enthusiast as well. I love his reviews, his books, his stories, and his ramblings.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh meat! Oops, I mean, yay, new people! [Wink]

Welcome! Come play on the other side of the river too! The pace is faster, and the topics are odder, but it's lots of fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
Really, though, I'm still just looking around. Seems to be a nice site, and the constituant members seem to be much more sophisticated.
Nice to be here.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Hi.
Really, though, I'm still just looking around. Seems to be a nice site, and the constituant members seem to be much more sophisticated.
Nice to be here.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, there, new people. [Smile]
Gendou
Member # 5439

- posted      Profile for Gendou   Email Gendou         Edit/Delete Post 
One n00b posting as ordered. [Smile]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valet Racer
Member # 5442

- posted      Profile for Valet Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! I am yet another new member logging in as requested. I enjoy reading and have recently discovered Ender's Shadow. I read Enders game in 1993 (I think), and only recently found out about the new books in the series. Which leads me to a question: Which should I read next after Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon or Shadow Puppets? Or does it matter? Any help would be appreciated! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm Marek (okay I'm not really Marek but I like the name). I'm an 18 year old college freshman, for now. I like to read, (mostly fantasy and sci-fi) I like to write (mostly fantasy and sci-fi), I listen to music, play the viola, and watch anime. Well that is my intro.

And Valet Racer, I really think you should read Shadow of the Hegemon before you read Shadow Puppets, that is the order the story goes in, but hey what do I know, which ever ones you read they are good books.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Hi guys.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.