FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 14)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmerobics could be huge.

You could have rich idiots pay you to come out and screw up your farm work. I don't think many would stick with it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
But it wouldn't matter, El JT de S, the farmers would get their money, and be able to afford new, uh, exercise equipment.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wow, it has been a while!

Here you go, Raia!

This thread is sort of scary to me, because if IO look back at my posts, I can track how very up and down my weght loss has been.

I am down a size, and have given away all my clothes that are too big. This way, I have nothing to get into to be comfortable if I start to slip up again.

I feel soooooo much better.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I've been up and down, too. :-\

Currently, I'm in a not-down state. [Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ic, I really wish I could bottle up the formula for "being in the zone." I would give you a bottle, for free.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I did it.

I joined a health club/fitness place.

I meet with my "personal trainer" tomorrow after work for my first, free, consultation to begin my regimen.

It's expensive, but, hey -- what is health worth? right? (That's what I'm telling myself).

And I'm trying to NOT focus on weight loss -- I'm trying to focus on getting more fit, having more energy, increasing breathing skills (for choir), etc.

And getting back to the point I can easily run five miles per day like I used to. Maybe even someday further than that.

Wish me luck.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's expensive, but, hey -- what is health worth? right?
It is DEFINITELY worth it. Congratulations! [Smile] [Smile] Do everything your trainer tells you to do. [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your trainer actually tells you anything...

I joined Bally's several years back. They were close to my office, I was really motivated, and I'd gotten a nice raise that would well more than cover the cost. The membership included 6 sessions with a personal trainer at no additional cost. At every single session, I specifically told the trainer that I wanted a detailed and written exercise plan. What machines to do on what days, how many reps, what weights to start at, how to tell when I should increase weight, etc. He instead spent the entire first session taking measurements (well, okay, it makes sense to have a starting set) and pushing nutritional supplements. The next five sessions were spent teaching me how to use the machines (LifeFitness electronic doodads) but nothing about my particular plan. At the end of the sixth session, I asked yet again for my personalized plan, and was told "well, you'll need to sign up for *this* other package". *THUD*

My motivation drained rather quickly after that point and I ended up wasting a heckuvalot of money as a result. When my two year committment ended, I was rather loud and clear in telling their customer service reps who insisted on calling me weekly to get me to renew exactly why I wasn't renewing, and demanded that they take my information out of their computers. Yesterday I got a notice in the mail begging me to come back again. They should never have even had this address..... I'm quite ticked off at them...

I really really hope my situation was abnormal and that you get what you need.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't want to be discouraging. The couple thousand bucks I spent at Bally's were some of the worst dollars I ever spent. I decided very quickly it wasn't for me, but I couldn't get my money back. So I spent a couple of thousand (because I got a joint membership for Cor and me) and between the two of us, we went maybe a dozen times, probably less. Pretty pricey! [Embarrassed] But different things work for different people, so I wish you more luck than I had with it. However, you might want to know what your options are if you change you mind: are you just screwed, or is there a plan that gives you a way out.

Going along with what Goody said, though, one day I was in one of their offices waiting for something or other, and I saw one of those dry-erase boards used to communicate things to your own employees. It reminded them that they did not get any commission at all on sales that did not include nutritional supplements. So that's why they're going to push those like crack dealers. So--unless for some reason you want cra^h^h^hnutritional supplements--stick to your guns. They will be aggressive, but it's just themn trying to do what they're told by management to do.

-o-

I'm back on the wagon today. This time will be the time. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I hate Bally's. I tried signing up there, but they kept pushing me to sign a three-year contract. When you read the fine print, you are paying for all three years at one fell swoop and then "borrowing" the money from them and paying it back in installments, at 20% interest. After I refused to sign it, they wouldn't refund my $100 sign up fee until I demanded to see a manager. A year later, they started charging my credit card $55 a month, despite me never signing anything. I had to catch it, and they only refunded what they had stolen from me (it is stealing - I never used the gym a day there) after I threw an absolute fit.

However, I have joined 24 Hour Fitness and I love it. I've had nothing but good experiences there. My complementary trainer was wonderful, and at the first session DID give me a detailed excercise plan. If you have a choice and there's a 24 Hour Fitness nearby, I reccomend them. You can join all at once or month by month. A year contract is cheaper, but you do have options.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
My employer has a gym and a trainer on site in the building for $15/month. WooHoo!
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i was diagnosed as having type I diabetes in mid March of this year. i was 195 pounds then. now from dieting and excercising (in hopes of not dying young), i have lost about 35-40 pounds. im right around the 155-160 range now. The only thing i miss about being heavier is that its harder to keep finding a place to take my insulin since im so lean now.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I do Curves, and I walk. Curves is great because it is fast, and I can go there on my way home from work.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just started to take advantage of my rec center at school. I have gone twice this week and plan to go again tomorrow. I feel like I am easing into the grove. I hope it sticks. I am well on my way to the freshman fifteen and I am not enjoying it.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, have you found that Curves has been very effective for you? My grandmother just went to her new doc for an introductory checkup and he said she looked pretty good to him. She winked and told him it was all those workouts at Curves. She's 93 and goes 3 times a week.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, it is very effective. I am used to more of a hardcore workout, but it is great for toning. It would be excellent for the elderly, though I would caution against going too often. Some people who go too often get joint pain. I had bursitis last year.

Now that I am getting in shape, I tend to go faster, or do one extra time around the circuit, or go for a walk afterwards.

It was perfect for me last year when I needed physical therapy.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, luckily I joined a locally-owned gym, not a huge nation-wide chain.

Had my first meeting with my personal trainer last night. She was great. She did all kinds of measurements and range of motion things with me to see what my current state is, and my body fat index, etc. (that was sad). And she is working me up a plan. I had planned on doing mostly cardio (treadmill or walkking/running or aerobics) but she wants me to add some weight training and stuff I have never tried before. (and she gave great dietary advice, that even though I already knew most of it, I wasn't doing it!)

My oldest son is going with me, so he is great motivation -- even though HIS body fat index is below readable levels (less than 4%!) -- and he is told to up his caloric intake and I'm supposed to greatly decrease mine. LOL

However I'm a little sore this morning. But I expect that for awhile.

FG

(is it a bad omen for my exercise program that this is post #666 in this thread???) [Eek!]

[ October 27, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

oh man! I think my personal trainer is trying to kill me. A slow, painful death.

I had no idea that quadriceps could hurt so bad. Or that I use them so much in everyday life.

rising and lowering into a chair is painful!

[Smile]
FG

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I had not gotten to the Rec center this semester until last week. I went for my third time yesturday and I am back on the wagon as far as eating well. I am not exactly sure how much I wieght I have gained this summer and semester, but I am glad that I am finally feeling prepared to turn it in the other direction.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Intuitive eating:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051204/ap_on_he_me/fit_intuitive_eating

I like this guy.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
It's taken me about three years of up-and-down-but-mostly-down weight loss, but I've gone from a BMI of 30 and "obese" to 32 pounds lighter and a BMI of 24.8, juuuust within the "healthy" range. That's the first time I've had a "healthy" weight since I was in junior high about 12 years ago. [Smile] I still have another 15 or 20 pounds to lose before I don't look overweight, but I've been looking forward to this milestone for a long, long time.

How's everyone else's efforts going? We're heading into a tough season, what with the cold weather and all the food-filled holidays, but stay strong! Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels, right? [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm starting again. I haven't had a great summer between the need for chocolate and the upheavals, but my life has settled down and I'm too broke to do anything but go to the gym, so I'm hoping it will be okay. It has to be, because I can't afford to buy new clothes which means I need to reverse the trend and stay the size to fit my slim clothes.

I went to BodyPump class last night and today my quadriceps and gluteus muscles are killing me, so that's a good thing.

I actually started on this again not for the weight control but because I've been really bummed out the past few days and that scares me. I'm afraid of being depressed, and physical activity is one of the major things I can do to prevent that.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've participated in this thread before.

I have a goal to lose 21.5 more pounds by the end of November. That would make 50 pounds total since the end of last November. I have a doctor's appointment then, and for once in my life, I'd like to go down in size between appointments.

My plan is to stick to the Insulin Resistance Diet much more closely than I have, and to do some sort of aerobic exercise 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. I know I'd do better if I also did some light strength training, but I'll be doing good to get any exercise in at all.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done nothing physical since switching jobs. I've worked out maybe twice in the last month.

I really need to get an apartment and get settled.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Wow -- this thread is still on this page where I posted one year ago that I joined a fitness club.

...and today I cancelled that membership. Too expensive; not enough time to go by there.

Granted, I did go quite often during the winter months, but in summer there is too much to do at home to spend time at a gym.

Overall, though, it was a good experience. In between my diet changes and the gym and the farmwork, I have lost 40 pounds since I posted last year that I joined a fitness club. So that is good.

But I still have 20 to 25 more pounds to lose yet.

FG

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yesterday was a good day. I took a pair of jeans fresh out of the dryer, when they're usually tighter because they've shrunk up some, and put them on....and then slid them right off my hips without unbuttoning them. Even fresh from the dryer they are too big. [Smile]

Course I have no idea how much weight I've lost because I don't own a scale, but I know that I continue to go down and last time I was at the doctor I had lost more than 30 pounds since I got diagnosed. I stopped losing weight when the chemo wiped me out so badly I stopped moving, and now that I'm back in school and walking the campus (it helps that my classes are very spread out) and taking stairs everywhere, I'm dropping more.

I'm still so very weak, though. I need to add a weight regimen to help build back my strength, I'm like the proverbial kitten right now, I lost all muscle deifnition I had (not that it was ever very much) when I went through chemo.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I more or less stopped posting in this thread after it became a source of shame to me. I lost about forty pounds over the months I posted here. I never really felt like I was getting less fat, although in hindsight I was. I have really bad self-image problems, and I can't see myself as others see me. I felt like nobody believed me when I said things like "I'm about the same weight I was when I got married!" My negativity made it hard to maintain my success. Compounded with that, two years ago I started teaching a class called Senior Project that involved a truly insane workload, and I was staying up until two or three every night. I needed to eat to stay awake. The past couple of years have been really stressful for me, and when I'm stressed I pack it on.

Just today, though, I was reflecting on how much better things have been in my work-life lately. I have achieved, lately, an equilibrium the likes of which I have never experienced before. Maybe now it's time to start caring about myself. Maybe eating less, maybe working out, maybe getting more sleep, maybe writing again. Maybe just one or two of those.

So I'm back where I started. I'm as fat as I've ever been at any point in my life.

And today, I'm starting again.

Wish me luck.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Icky. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Icarus! I'm starting on a weight loss/get fit program too. My last two semesters of classes have been so hectic, and I've had reoccurring problems from damaged veins in my leg, so I just let exercising slip away from my daily routine...

Now (like, as of last week) I have a tennis class two times a week, and go with friends to the gym for cardio/weight lifting six times a week. I hope I can stick with it, as well as my dietary changes.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I got lazy on vacation. So I got a new routine, and I'm going to alternate them so that I don't get bored. Plus, the new routine can be done at school without venturing into the WEIGHT ROOM OF STEROID SCARY MEN WHO GRUNT!!!!, so that's a big plus. And I have a workout buddy, sort of.

I'm going to get ARMS, dangit. I mean it this time.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Good luck, Icky.

pH, you'll love having arms. Those things are some kinda useful. Great for picking up stuff.

And hitting people.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I measured my waist last night - it is over the marker for increased risk of heart disease etc.

So I really, really need to lose some weight - even if it's just enough to lose some of the belly fat and bring my cardiovascular risk down.

However, we are moving 3500 km interstate next Monday. I think I may hold off on a new exercise plan until then (although packing, it turns out, is quite strenuous!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Icky! You can do it! YOu should come hang out with us over at spark people. [Smile] That group really helps me a lot and they remind me why I'm working.

I started a month ago today and I've only lost 8 pounds, but my pants are sliding off and I've lost 12 inches all over. Today was a major milestone: One of my students asked me if I had lost weight and I could say YES! She then followed it up with a "You look awesome." [Smile]

And so, I continue.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm looking for advice a bit on some weight-loss stuff. I'd like to lose a little weight (10-15 pounds), although not tons. In the past, I've lost weight via just dieting, but I'm always rather unsatisfied (I'm a rather picky eater and most diet foods are either bland or unfulfilling). So I figured I would try this time augmenting my diet some but also getting in some exercise.

The problem is I'm insanely self-conscious (which I assume some of you already knew). This is particularly true in regards to exercising in front of other people. I always get this feeling that everyone's looking at me and like I'm not exercising the right way or something. I know I shouldn't be worrying about what other people think and the like, but it's difficult to get past when you do have a sort of negative self-image.

So I decided maybe I would try some exercise that I can do at home. Suggestions I've received thus far are yoga and buying some small dumbbells. I know nothing about yoga and how practical it is to do in your home (particularly with no instruction aside from DVDs or what not). So I thought to myself "Hey, there's some bright people on Hatrack. Maybe they'll have some ideas about exercise that I can do at home." The only thing I will say is I don't want to do anything that would make too much noise for the person who lives below me (I know I hate when the guy above me is being really loud). So yeah, please give me your suggestion Hatrack.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Buy a used treadmill. I actively enjoy walking on mine, while listening to mp3s or watching TV or even, rarely, reading.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Any estimates how much would that cost and how much noise would it make for someone below me? I am on a semi-limited budget (hooray for being a college student).

EDIT: Slightly divergent. I heard about the Wii Sports exercise regimen, but I'm a little skeptical of how accurate that is. I do have a Wii though.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, it would cost less than your Wii . . . [Wink]

I couldn't say if the noise will carry downstairs. How well are your apartments insulated? If the noise does carry, you could always work out during normal waking hours.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

The apartments are pretty poorly insulated, so I think the noise would travel some. Also, looking around my room, it'd have to be a real small treadmill.

Any opinions on the dumbbells or yoga or anything?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good luck, Icarus.
I am with you in more ways than one.
I have managed to maintain my loss of one dress soze(pant size, I never wear dresses). But it is getting rather tight!
So, back to The Watch.
And back to The Planet, the Planet of Fitness.
Ic, let's lose our forty and drive to a midway point and have a drink together!

Icarus
Member # 3162

I would absolutely love to have a drink with you some day, Elizabeth. [Smile]

But I need to lose much more than forty pounds. Forty would just get me back to where I was at my best in this thread. [In this spot, I resisted the urge to post a sad smilie.]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Good luck, Icky.

pH, you'll love having arms. Those things are some kinda useful. Great for picking up stuff.

And hitting people.

Hitting people?! Awesome! I wanna hit people!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, if I lose forty pounds(and I need to lose more as well) by next New Year's, I am coming down to see Donna the Buffalo in Florida, and we will have our dang drink.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A recent study just reported that weight loss is exactly the same whether you do it through dieting or through exercise. Exercise is still suggested for a host of health reasons.

But the basics still apply I think. Eat less calories per day, burn calories with cardio. You have to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight, and really, we could all probably stand to eat less food. If you eat until you feel full, chances are you've eaten too much. Try to always leave the table a little hungry.

February 1st is when I start my own diet thing. I don't really want to lose that much weight, maybe 5lbs, but I'm much more interested in putting back on another 10lbs in muscle. As of February, I'll be six months away from my southern road trip vacation, and I want to look better than I have in the past. Perfectly reasonable expectations for six months.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
You're looking for a cardio exercise - do you have a DVD player?

There are any number of cardio videos and "self-defense oriented" tapes like Tae Bo that put you through the motions of hitting things.

A DVD tape and a roll-out mat won't break the bank and will help you with the cardio you need to lose weight.

Remember though, don't judge by the scale - muscle versus fat, etc.

As much as I love dumbbells, I wouldn't recommend picking up any (no pun intended) until you have a better idea of your fitness goals and a plan to reach them.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

*bump*

Anybody out there still on the fitness road?

I don't know if people still want to keep this thread going, or to start a new one.

I'm working out regularly now and it's quite a change for me personally. I've lost 10 pounds this month, but even more exciting, there's a significant size difference. I've lost two inches in my waist, and everything fits so much better now. I may even have to buy new jeans soon.

The only issue I have is shin splints. Everything I've read says to get new shoes, but with tuition due I can't afford to drop a whole bunch of cash on a new pair of running shoes. I am doing walk/run interval training, on an asphalt running track surface. I go at least three times a week, usually 4 or 5 and train for at least 30 minutes, sometimes as long as 50. This is huge change from one month ago when I was basically sedentary. So it's not surprising my legs are protesting at this point. Any pointers from the more experienced runners?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i got a text message add on how to lose 10 lbs like Oprah. darn virtual telemarketers.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belle,
First, lose the asphalt if you can. Is there a high school track with that soft, cushiony material?

Second, there is a stretch which helps shins and knees. Let me see if I can explain it.

Sit on the floor with your legs straight out.
Put the ball of your right foot over your left foot.
With your left foot, push up against the right foot. You should feel the "shin muscles" stretch.
Repeat with the other foot.

Also, hang off a step by the balls of your feet. Many knee and leg-in-general issues come from calves that are too tight.

Cross train. Give your muscles a break from walking/running. Bike, or go for a canoe ride, or do some other, non-impact aerobic exercise.

Whatever you do, don't start a new thread! Let's keep this one going.

Belle
Member # 2314

The high school track is not available to me. It's inside the football stadium area which is locked up. The only place I have to run is the local track at the park, which is asphalt. I don't have any way to bike....I don't own a bike and don't have a stationary one. I'd love to use an elliptical but that means going to my university gym and I can't do that in the summer because I'm home with the kids.

I really like the walking and running too, which is why I'm reluctant to switch but I know that if I injure myself I'm not going to get anywhere, either. I took a day off today to rest my legs, even though I had planned on cardio today.

I'll definitely try the stretching. I do stretch every day but I have terrible flexibility.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
*bump*

Anybody out there still on the fitness road?

I don't know if people still want to keep this thread going, or to start a new one.

I'm working out regularly now and it's quite a change for me personally. I've lost 10 pounds this month, but even more exciting, there's a significant size difference. I've lost two inches in my waist, and everything fits so much better now. I may even have to buy new jeans soon.

The only issue I have is shin splints. Everything I've read says to get new shoes, but with tuition due I can't afford to drop a whole bunch of cash on a new pair of running shoes. I am doing walk/run interval training, on an asphalt running track surface. I go at least three times a week, usually 4 or 5 and train for at least 30 minutes, sometimes as long as 50. This is huge change from one month ago when I was basically sedentary. So it's not surprising my legs are protesting at this point. Any pointers from the more experienced runners?

I'm still working out, haven't seen any noticeable progress yet in my look. I'm keeping the Official Exercise thread updated with my progress, there's a lot of work out/cardio info in that thread, in case beginners are looking for some info. I still weigh the same I've weighed for the last...four years or so. I can't seem to gain or lose weight.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fed up with my lack of willpower. I feel completely incapable of not eating crap.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.