FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 15)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,
Is there a place nearby to go for a hike?
If you climb a steep hill, you are getting a power-packed workout which is different than the same-muscle walking on a flat track. (it sounds weird-it is still walking)

Another idea to give yourself a rest but still move forward on the path to Mordor is the age-old calisthenics routine. Your hub is a fireman, isn;t he? Can you get the training exercises from him?

At one of the schools I worked at, we had this guy come in and put us through hell. It was not aerobic, but all we did was:

lunges
push-ups(I had to do wall-ups)
Backwards push-ups (on a chair or stair)
Jumping jacks(very aerobic, actually)
Calf raises.

That was it, and it got pretty much every muscle.

Another thing I have been threatening to do with my kids is a backyeard training circuit. Run to the swingset. Do five pullups(or, um, none if you are me) Run to the soccer ball. Dribble around the cones five times.

Etc.

And there are alwasy aerobics videos or Tae-Bo, if you can handle those. I end up saying, "Hmm, I had better sit down and watch this one time through, first." And that is the end of that. I am not a fan of aerobics, but it is good for a rainy day.

Good luck!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I'm already doing strength training which incorporates weight lifting (dumbbells) and calisthenics.

I'm going for a walk today, after resting yesterday my legs feel 1000% better, now only one is hurting me and it's much less painful than it was yesterday.

PSI, the only way I fixed that is not making it available. I control what gets bought, so I don't buy junk. I just make sure I only purchase stuff that is at least halfway good for me, you know?

that way my willpower doesn't enter into it. If it's not in the house at all, I can't eat it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yeah, Belle, just rest.
All of the marathon training sites I have visted say rest at least two days.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I walked today, for three miles and instead of the asphalt track I just walked on the grass next to it. It was much better, yesterday both legs hurt, today it's only my right and it's not as bad as it was. So, I'll stay on the grass and stay away from running for a little while, then ease back into the interval training.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the advice to ditch the ashphalt, which it looks like you've already tried. When my feet got diagnosed, I was told to stop running on concrete, and run on the grass instead. My ankles protested, but that's a different story.

I'm on the fitness track more intently now, with classes being out. I've managed to bike to work three times this week (the other time, it was raining). Since I started a couple weeks ago, I've already cut 10 minutes off my travel time. I don't expect it to get much faster easily, but I'm getting into the swing of it.

I'm totally proud of myself, and I've promised myself a new bathing suit (haven't bought one since 2002 - polyester suits are *the best*) if I can meet my goals by the time I go to the cottage in August.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, I'm still walking on it. The last day or so I added back some running intervals (on the grass) and walked one mile back on the asphalt. In other words, trying to ease it back in to the same activity I was doing before.

It still hurts, but it's getting better every day, so I'm not worried about it. I am going to invest in some new shoes. My shoes are for walking, I want to get some running shoes that have good shock absorption.

I've been stretching every day and I'm getting more flexible.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(((thread)))
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

(((Icarus)))

And on a positive, personal note - I'm going to class tonight wearing a cute denim jacket that my Mom bought for me last year - and I've never worn because it didn't fit. [Big Grin]

It does now.

12 pounds total lost in one month. I want to reach my goal weight before I start teaching.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, I have dubbed myself the Knight Protector of this thread. Sleep soundly, knowing it is safe.

Also, I am doing the Weight Watchers Core plan and loving it. Again. Ah, the cycles!

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
12 pounds in one month is phenomenal, Belle. Especially for a woman. I'm very impressed, and inspired.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks porce. [Smile]

Nothing fancy, no diet plan, or low-carb plan or anything. Just cardio five times a week for an hour each time, strength training three times a week, and keeping my total calories per day under a certain amount. I eat anything I want, I just make sure I hit that calorie range.

Of course, when I started I could only do 20 minutes of cardio. I tried to add a little bit each day, and quickly worked up to an hour, much faster than I expected to.

So yes, it takes time to track what I eat and count calories, and I'm spending an hour to an hour and a half every day on exercise, but it's not really been that hard to follow. It just took me making the commitment, and taking the time to do something right for myself.

And twelve pounds does sound like a lot, but I have a LONG way to go. I will be at this for some time.

Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, I broke down and bought new shoes to see if they would help the shin splints situation.

Too early to tell, as I have only worn them for one workout, but they do feel different. They're ....springier or something. I did buy running shoes, as opposed to walking shoes (the old ones were walking) and switched brands, which is what every running support site said to do to try and help.

I will say, I stretched out today and ran with them, not jogging but full running and it felt good. [Smile] I'm liking this exercise stuff.

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh-in and it's also a measurement day. I weigh once a week and take measurements once a month. So we'll see if I have good news.

Today, I wore a shirt I bought to work out in but never felt comfortable wearing before...tank top with lots of spandex so it hugs the waist area. And my husband looked at me, blinked, looked some more and told me something I will not repeat here, but let's just say it was a boost to my ego. [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If I lose any more, I won't be able to find clothes that fit in the plus-sizes any more. I'll have to shop in the normal sizes.

I just went shopping this morning, and I was at the smallest size they had in the fat girl store.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Tante, that is awesome! What a great feeling that must be. Good job! [Big Grin]

I've given up, for the time being, on running. Instead I've upped my walking pace to a faster one that I can sustain, and increased the distance until I'm walking over three miles now in an hour.

I've now lost over 13 pounds and 2 inches in my waist.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I still have, like, a ton to lose. And everyone always promised me that if I lost weight, I'd feel terrific. So why don't I feel terrific? Someone's not keeping their end of the bargain, I tell you!

::shakes fist in the general direction of those imagined to be in charge of such things::

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, it's sooo hot that I'm not going to the track right now. Instead I'm doing step aerobics at home. I have a step, and I just set it in the floor and walk up and down it for an hour, while I'm watching something on tv. I alternate leading legs, of course to make sure I don't overwork one side.

Man, that does a lot for you!

As of right now, 14 pounds gone, in six weeks.

Tante, I don't know how much you have to lose, but I think it IS important to enjoy the journey. I can look at my weight loss and say "Only 14 pounds? Man, I have over 70 to go!" or I can say "14 pounds! I'm well on my way!"

The cool thing is there are plenty of things to celebrate on the way. Like getting into new sizes. As for feeling terrific, heck I don't feel terrific right now. My legs hurt, I have a blister that feels like it's the size of Texas on my right heel and every muscle in my arms feels sore from my last strength workout. Physically, I don't feel better yet, but I do know that I AM better physically, KWIM? It's very hard, and this type of pain and slow progress is what gets so many people discouraged that they quit. My husband told me the soreness and stuff would disappear after the first month. Well, he lied. I'm still sore and in pain. But, I'm not giving up. I'm sure the soreness will go away eventually. If it does though, it may be a sign for me to push harder!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I still weigh the same I've weighed for the last...four years or so. I can't seem to gain or lose weight.

Me too. I had a baby, and two weeks after delivery was at my pre-pregnancy weight. I thought "Great, breastfeeding will help me lose weight!" Nope. Baby is nine months old, and I'm still right where I was. Talk about set points. [Grumble]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost six pounds on vacation, and am trying to keep the momentum downward from there.

Doing a basic South Beach diet (perhaps somewhat modified), and lots of exercise. My employer is currently pushing "wellness" real hard, and are having an intra-company competition on walking distances between teams, so that is good motivation. My team is doing pretty well -- not the top, but definately not slackers.

Like Belle said, I just need to mentally keep reminding myself of my progress, and NOT concentrate on how much more I have yet to lose, because that gets discouraging, and makes it seem unattainable.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, I found it practically impossible to lose weight while breastfeeding -- at least until the baby was seriously taking solids. It just made me too hungry!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse nothing. I remember being at a wedding when my oldest was two weeks old. I finished my chicken, and then shamelessly asked the young lady next to me if she had any plans for the second half of her prime rib. (And then wished I had the whole thing instead of half.) I was hungry, and I absolutely CRAVED protein.

OTOH, all my nursing infants gained weight steadily and grew like weeds.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I am nursing and so far I haven't lost weight. The baby is pretty plump though. Most of the women I know who nurse found that it was harder to lose while nursing, so I figure I'll lose the weight someday, but there is no hurry.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I still weigh the same I've weighed for the last...four years or so. I can't seem to gain or lose weight.

Me too. I had a baby, and two weeks after delivery was at my pre-pregnancy weight. I thought "Great, breastfeeding will help me lose weight!" Nope. Baby is nine months old, and I'm still right where I was. Talk about set points. [Grumble]
Sadly, I never lost the weight I needed to. My daughter just turned thirteen. In fact, after I had her I was doing well, then had number two and ended up even heavier. Now I weigh what I did at the highest point of my first pregnancy! Eek.

I finally got a pedometer that works, and it is frightening! I might as well sign up for Supersize Me. I am not working now, and I want to track my "teaching miles" in the fal, but for now, naps and wedding showers do not slap on the miles.

Now that I know, though, it will be better. Yesterday, I walked 7000 steps yesterday as opposed to 2000 the two previous days. My goal is 10,000 a day.

I can;t wait to see how many miles I log in for a music festival!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Tante, I don't know how much you have to lose, but I think it IS important to enjoy the journey. I can look at my weight loss and say "Only 14 pounds? Man, I have over 70 to go!" or I can say "14 pounds! I'm well on my way!"

The cool thing is there are plenty of things to celebrate on the way. Like getting into new sizes.

I neither enjoy nor dread the journey. It just is. I know I need to lose weight, and I'm trying to make that happen. I lost steadily for 6 months, and then plateaued for 6, and then, this month, started losing again. And all the time, I've been compliant with the diet (well, except for the week of Passover, when I was more lax). I don't love getting into new sizes, because I have a closet full of clothes that I like that don't fit me. And I don't love clothes shopping in any event. I mean, I do it, because I need to wear stuff, but it's not a thrill.

I just always heard that I'd feel physically great when I lost weight. I'm still waiting for the great feeling to come. Most of the time I feel much worse than "great." In fact, on a scale of lousy to great, I skew more towards the lousy end.

I'm not discouraged from continuing, though. I'm planning to stick with the program until I'm at my goal weight, and then to maintain that weight.

That's the plan, at least.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I just always heard that I'd feel physically great when I lost weight. I'm still waiting for the great feeling to come. Most of the time I feel much worse than "great." In fact, on a scale of lousy to great, I skew more towards the lousy end.
It wasn't the weight loss or the diet itself that made me get to that "feel great" stage. It was the exercise. Even if I'm losing weight, I don't feel any better or any more energetic unless I begin exercising.

I think there is something to that "exercise releases powerful, addictive brain chemicals" thing.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmphm. I think I finally have experienced those addictive chemicals. Years of swimming, field hockey, and off-and-on running never managed to trip them the way biking has. It really feels like an addiction; rain is threatening and I will be cranky if I can't get my hit today.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I like to get my powerful addictive brain chemicals the old fashioned way. From the pharmacy. [Razz]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's time to rejoin this thread.

I have finally reached my breaking point. It's time to get serious. I have hired an aggressive personal trainer at my gym and I think he's going to set me straight. We had our first consultation today and I am really excited. He has a no nonsense attitude about my eating habits and seems eager to help me.

I believe I have very reasonable expectations about what he can and can't do for me. My goals are to lose 25-30lbs. with special attention to the abdomen. I don't want to come out of this looking like a fashion model, I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again, to look in the mirror and say, "Hey, not too shabby." I want to be able to get pregnant (some day) and not have to obsess about the weight I'm gaining and not have to stress (too badly) about losing it after a baby.

My eating habits aren't good, but they aren't terrible either. I snack well (granola bars, dried fruit, and nuts), I usually eat breakfast, don't eat red meat, and enjoy vegetables. It's the dinner thing that is my weakness. I use dinner as a source of entertainment and as a social hour. I place too much importance on that hour. Even though I don't eat red meat, I have discovered 1,001 ways to fry chicken. Yummy. I love rice and creamy pastas. (This is starting to sound like an AA meeting)

So, there is my story.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Anyone else see this article?

Diet pills' icky side effects keep users honest

(it made me laugh -- especially the writer's use of the term "Alli oops")

FG

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ew, I've heard about those side effects. [Smile]

I'm doing the Weight Watchers core plan (which is basically just eating well and eating balanced with lots of veggies, whole grains, and low fat) and trying to get back into my exercise regimen. This week has been good, even with the 4th. We spent all that day lugging mortars and canisters around in the sand to set up a $50,000 fireworks shoot. I'm good and sore and I think I burnt a lot of calories. The rest of my exercise is walking (easing into jogging) and my TurboJam (which I adore).

My biggest problem is sugar and I'm working really hard on the veggie and fruit front so I can lose my cravings. It's working, and I'm SO delighted. I have been a slave to sugar my whole life and summer is a good time to kick the habit, as there is so much delightful fruit around. My favorites are nectarines, grapes, strawberries, and I just hacked into a fresh pineapple. Delish.

I've also discovered a yummy evening snack that doesn't kill my whole day. Malt-O-Meal instant oatmeal packets (they come in different flavors.) It's sweetened, but it's whole grain and I can add some fresh fruit if I'm really hungry. It's fantastic. [Smile]

My goal is to lose weight every week until school starts. I'd love it to be 20 pounds, but if I just keep losing a bit every week, I'll be happy.

Hang in there everyone! (((Icarus))) (((thread)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the entire thread...very interesting, and there were often inspiring stories and useful information.

After watching my husband lose over 85 pounds in less than 100 days using a doctor supervised fasting program, I've learned a couple new things about this often thankless issue(most people regain all the weight they lose, and weight is highly determined by your genetic inheritance. This helps explain why my kids and I have always been thin while my husband gained nearly 100 pounds over a twenty year period). First, the only diet that works is one that you embrace. Carl hates exercise, won't do it, and so a program that insists on regular movement is a no go for him. Second, he could not face spending months eating smaller portions and losing weight slowly. That works when you have twenty or so pounds to lose, but 100 pounds...too discouraging. Finally, Carl found that drinking lots of water was critical. You really have to drink huge amounts of liquid when you fast to avoid weakness, and he found that drinking lots of water also helped him lose weight. Finally, you can't cheat and expect decent results. He followed the diet, and afterwards, he follows the maintenance diet. We eat more veggies and protein with limited carbs. I occasionally get hungry for rice or pasta, but usually I eat what Carl eats. And I exercise while he merrily programs or plays chess. When we went to Chicago to celebrate with our daughter when she graduated from college, we ate like crazy folks, and he gained ten pounds in one week. Carl went right back on his regular eating program and lost the extra weight. He feels great, looks fabulous and he's stopped taking his blood pressure meds after his regular doctor found his blood pressure within the normal range. Best of all, we both know what works for him. We also have realistic expectations-he is at least twenty pound heavier than he was when he was twenty. That's OK-and healthy.

Best wishes to all who want to lose weight!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
over 85 pounds in less than 100 days
Wow. I'm stunned. I can't imagine dropping that much weight so fast.

At any rate, I'm plugging along. 18 pounds gone now. I have no pants that fit. Everything is too big.

Belle
Member # 2314

Finally broke the 20 pound barrier! I've lost 21 pounds.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
quote:
over 85 pounds in less than 100 days
Wow. I'm stunned. I can't imagine dropping that much weight so fast.

Neither can I, considering most of the fat burning comes from the body maintaining its muscles. If you fast, your body looks for energy first in the muscles, then maybe fat later on, but now you've killed your fatburners...huhh? I digress though, I'm aiming more for aesthetics so the idea of eating your muscle away... [Eek!] [ROFL]

Anyway Belle, keep up the good work. I know what you mean in regards to the hurting while jogging/running. A few months ago, I could only jog around a block, with a rest in between. Now, I can jog continuously over a mile and a half. It's not much compared to some, but I'm pleased. [Smile]

Now I've got to purchase a weight set. Eee...Money...o.o

I've heard swimming is really awesome too because you're using just about every muscle in your body to do it. Public pools suck tho, and I don't know how expensive the local YMCA is. We'll see.

Good luck to everyone!

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I shall keep this thread alive even if no one else cares.

At any rate, had a slow down where I wasn't exercising as I should due to stresses and school but I got back to it and I'm still dropping sizes like crazy. None of my jeans fit but I hate to buy more if I'm only going to be in this size a short time.

I went and bought a workout top - you know tight fitting so you can exercise without it getting in the way, made of that dri-fit stuff that evaporates sweat away from your body, etc. I bought it in what I thought was a size smaller than I am now, thinking I could work toward fitting in it and it could be a motivating factor for me. Well, it fits. In fact, I won't be wearing it long. I guess I'm a smaller size now than I think I am, I really need to go try on some new clothes and see where I am.

Oh, my waist measurement is now four inches smaller than when I started. That makes me very, very happy. [Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hooo Belle!

And yes, always invest in good shoes - trust me, it'll help.

You never appreciate the impact of good running shoes until you put on a new pair. [Big Grin]

-Medina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's GREAT, Belle!

I have never thought to measure myself. I mean, I use the weight scales for overall weight, but I have no idea what my measurements are (except how it translates into bra size and pant size).

I'm still walking 2 miles every night (around the quarter-section), as well as normal work around the farm. Not losing as much as I had hoped, but not gaining any either.

A guy I work with is a marathon runner, so he runs daily to keep in shape. When he gets 200 miles on a pair of shoes, even if they are still in great shape, he "retires" that pair and buys new. I get his old ones (yes, my big female feet are the same size as his small male feet). It's great because they are high dollar shoes I could never afford for myself new.

Belle
Member # 2314

I guess I didn't update but I'm having no problem with shin splints at all anymore. I do still get the occasional blister, in different parts of my feet, and I'm trying to find the magic combination of socks and shoes and tying just tight enough but not too tight. My husband the runner with two marathons under his belt says blisters are a part of a walker/runner's life and even the best with the best shoes get them occasionally.

Today I took my dog to the park and she walked a mile with me before I handed the leash over to the kids to let her play with them. Walking with her was fun, and she must have pushed me ever so slightly - my lap times were about 20 seconds per lap faster when I had her with me. She loved it too! So proud and happy to be trotting alongside me. We'll definitely be bringing her back with us. I just wish all dog owners observed park rules - keep on leash and clean up after your dog - but unfortunately not everyone does. That's a rant for another time, though.

Farmgirl, there's a lot of talk out there about how measurements and particularly the ratio of your waist to hip measurements is a more accurate predictor of health problems, so that's why I focus on measurements. Plus, the scale can be deceptive, you can gain lean muscle and your weight not go down much but have a marked improvements in measurements. Here's an article with more info.

My waist-hip ratio now has me at "low risk"! That's very important to me because my grandparents both died of heart disease.

quote:
my big female feet are the same size as his small male feet
My husband and I can wear the same size in running shoes too.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belle, that is so great.
I am down in the dumps and up in the scales again.
Diana, if you read the whole thread, you could make a sad chart of doom for my success at this.

OK, enough of that. I have been exercising, I have added weight training(Planet Fitness machines), and I am starting to feel better, but I have not been eating less, or drinking less wine. Once I get back to school it will be easier.

So, Belle, keep posting regularly to give me a boost, OK? (to give everyone a boost)

Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost 14 pounds since February. Not a lot, but this puts me within normal range for my height.

I'd like to lose a bit more, but now I'm more concerned with getting FIT, not just losing weight.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But, but, I was always pretty hipless, with a wider waist. When I am at the weight I am comfortable with, I am fairly "straight."
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I run in New Balance running shoes which cost between $60 to $100. I rotate them out every six months or so, depending on wear and tear.

Iraq is not kind to shoes, I'll tell you that for free.

But it balances out, so to speak - the "still good" running shoes are only worn for running; the old and abused running shoes are worn for weight training and any other "non-running" PT.

-TMedina

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, today is measurement day. I weigh weekly but only do measurements every six weeks.

My weight loss has really slowed, it's crawling along consistently at 1 pound per week, which I know is good, but I would love to see bigger numbers.

At any rate, measurement day made me happy. It's been 14 weeks on this journey, and 4 is my magic number. Four inches lost in my bust, four in my hips, and a bit more than four in my waist. My upper arm - bicep - is an inch smaller than it used to be. A whole inch of flab gone off my arm!

I did something yesterday I haven't done in years, and I'm not kidding when I say that. I bought a pair of shorts, and wore them in public to a function that was not me going someplace to work out. I was actually okay with showing my legs in public!

Now, I still have a long way to go, but this gave me a needed boost to know that it really IS working, that my body is changing even if the number on the scale is only creeping down.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nice!
I am at war with Olaf(Old Lady Arm Flap).
So far, he is winning, especially hands down. (what with the spread that occurs when i put my hands down)

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's time for me to try again. :-|
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I went shopping today (with Ma) for new clothes, since, really, my stuff just doesn't fit right. I had no idea what size I was, or what stores to hit -- fat girl stores or normal size girl stores. Ma suggested the department store, since they have both.

It's been years since I've been to the mall. I hate the mall.

I found out that I've left plus sizes behind, and now I'm wearing a size 16. Last year, I was a size 24, so that explains why nothing fits properly.

When I look in the mirror, though, I look just the same to me.

Ma's been doing the Weight Watcher's thing, too, and is down to a size 2 Petite. I don't think I will ever be that thin.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tante, whoo hoo!!!

I have made a pact with myself never to go back to size 18. If I have to stuff my fat behind in size 16 stuff, it will have to do until I get back on track.

Icarus, we can do this!

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Great job to everybody on their progress.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bump
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Encourage me. Please. I need it .
Belle
Member # 2314

Elizabeth, my weight loss has really slowed, but it's still going down. Do you track yours in any way? I'll tell you what helps me. I use an Excel spreadsheet. A simple two column table with the week on the left and my weight on the right. I weigh in officially every week on the same day (Sunday for me).

Then, I have a simple graph of that data series. Each week I update the source data to include the new week. I can look at it and see that it's going down, even if there are individual weeks that stay flat or even tick up a bit. The trendline is continuing down, which is what I want to see. Sometimes that visual reminder is helpful, I can go look at it whenever I'm down.

Also remember that even if you have a bad day, there are six other days in the week. And if you have a bad week (I've had weeks where I gained weight) there are 51 other weeks in the year. Aim for two steps forward every week, then if you take a step back you're still moving forward.

I know it's hard - I got discouraged the other day because I'm still in women's sizes. But, I'm smaller than I was and will soon be out of women's sizes - it just frustrates me to think how slow it is. I'm at about 1.5 pounds per week now - my first month I averaged over 2.5 pounds a week - I lost 12 pounds the first month. Now it could take me almost three months to lose 12 pounds. So I know how difficult it is to stay motivated.

Hang in there, though - you CAN do it. This is probably one of the hardest things we'll ever do in our lives - losing this excess weight, but nothing else will make such a positive impact on our health (unless you're a smoker, and give that up).

(((Elizabeth)))

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.