FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 11)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Elizabeth - it was purely cymbalic.

But feel free to chime in with any other observations you have.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*does triumphant dance*

Down 1.6 this week! Of course, I still haven't broken the 20lb barrier yet, but now I'm only .2 of a lb away!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Wooo-hoooo! Go Megan go!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Megan!

You know, I was ticked off by E-Tools. The Core Plan has almost nothing fun! The Flex Plan has all the menus and charts.

I think I may swith to Flex this week, but keep the whole grains-only option. I feel better already!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Thanks, Trevor! [Smile]

I am...desparately intrigued by e-tools, but want to not pay $12.95 a month for it, in addition to paying to attend meetings! Call me cheap, but hey, there it is. I need...a pirated version of e-tools, or something.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined Weight Watchers this past week.. and I love the core/flex options.

Megan- congrats on your loss! That's great!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan, I am a Lifetime Member-haha-so I weigh in at Curves, can go to the meetings for free, and can thus justify the 12.95.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

That's cool [Smile] Lifetime is many, many pounds away for me...but that's alright. I have a friend who gets e-tools and is a fan; I just can't justify it along with the costs of meetings. I'll just stick to my little slider thingy! (I would like to have the activity points calculator, though...that thing sounds like it would come in handy!)

And, thanks, Coccinelle [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Let me be more clear.
I am a Lifetime Member, and now about 70 lbs overweight. Once a Lifetime member, always a lifetime member, but that doesn't mean you can't gain it all back and more. Urgh.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor! Bad Puns! Very Bad Puns! [No No]

Megan: Congrats! [The Wave]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Ah, sorry...that should have been obvious from the ha-ha-ha, right? I'm...well, a little slow at times. [Big Grin]

Thanks, Allegra! Are you still interested in working out together, or in lunch, or whatever? [Smile]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It's OK, Megan. Actually, I will probably go weekly for a month or so anyway. At Curves they do measuring, too, so I will be able to see progress there. Snce I am not working, and have no restrictions other than, well, working, there is really no reason I should not be able to use this time to get in great shape so i can finally play soccer again. There is a women's pick-up league in town, and my goal is to be able to run(which I really have no control over, since it is a brain-healing thing) and to strengthen my ankles enough so that I don't sprain them the first time out. (Years of sports injuries take their toll on the older bod.)
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan: Of course! I am a little busy right now though. After spring break looks better. Maybe we could look at the weather forcast for a nice day. We could go for a long walk and then a healthy yummy dinner (ok at least semi-healthy, but definatly yummy).

I have lost a little weight! It is hard to say how much because my scale isn't very exact, but I think around 3 pounds. I can tell that my stomach looks smaller. *jumps up and down*

[ March 07, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Congratulations! [Smile] That's terrific!

I won't be able to do immediately after spring break, because my public lecture is on March 30. After that happens, I should be much, much freer...and much, much less stressed.

But, once that's over, we should definitely get together for a walk and a meal. By then, the weather should be better (she says as she looks out the office window watching snowflakes falling).

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
All right. I am finally posting in this thread... I avoided it before because I... I dunno... Felt stupid for heaping all of the rest of my problems on you guys, and maybe I thought I could get by without paying attention to my weight problem until I resolved it. (edit: looks like I made a few posts in here a little less than a year ago, but I didn't really say anything of any merit.)

Well, I'm having trouble resolving it... I know I need to lose weight, and I know I can do that by regulating my diet and exercising regularly. I just have a lot of trouble with it. I dunno. I'm up right now to weighing more than I ever have, because I haven't had time or opportunity for exercise, and I haven't been eating well...

But having lived with an anorexic so long, every time I think about restricting my diet or spending a significant amount of time exercising, it sets off bells. I know it's illogical, and that it's unlikely that I will become anorexic at this point in time... But.. I don't know... (sigh) I'm just unhappy with the way I am... and I don't know what to do about it.

Going to bed now.

[ March 16, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ryuko, I think the best thing is basically what CT said in one thread or another, and is the basis for any "true" diet. that is, eat as close to the whole food as possible, and make it nutritionally dense. Try staying away from white flour and sugar, eat fruit instead of drinking juice, drink red wine instead of beer(if you care about that) Just try to make little changes toward nutrient density.
I know what you mean about the anoerexia stuff, and i tend to revolt whenever I go on a restrictive diet.

CT should market this very logical approach to eating, and maybe she can make gazillions like Atkins did.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
:scatters encouragement confetti on everyone:

I have PMS and "feel" fat [Embarrassed]

Ryuko, I have a similar problem with the eating disorders, which is why I have just cut out sweets and eat what I feel is normal otherwise. Though what I feel is normal is heavily influence by Radiant Recovery (Don't skip breakfast, protein with every meal, whole foods). It's a unique approach, even for OA. It's taken me 11 months to lose 20 lbs. I've gone months at a time without weighing myself because otherwise, it wouldn't seem like I was getting anywhere.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

After feeling really great for a week, eating whole grains, and exercizing regulary, I got on the scale at Weight Watchers, had lost half a pound, and decided to screw it. I am going to eat the same way, continue exercizing, and just do the monthly measuring at Curves. I am not going to pay to make myself feel bad.

A good friend of mine, who has been overweight for years, recently lost quite a bit of weight. Then she gained some back. She said to me the other night, "I wish I had never lost the weight. I felt great about myself before I did, and now I feel like a failure, even though I am still down thirty pounds.

[ March 16, 2005, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Also spacing out meals so that you don't get overly hungry is pretty important. I switched back to me eating really healthy and it's made a huge difference in my energy levels. I'm not getting the 4pm drop off! I make sure I eat at least 3 meals a day (I used to skip breakfast). Eating breakfast is very important for weight management. A bowl of cereal (okay, not healthy cereal, but I LIKE my pops). Lunch means a sandwich (peanut butter and jelly, or ham and cheese, or tuna and cheese, or roast beef), some sort of fruit, maybe some milk. Milk and cheese actually help with weight loss. Snacks can be snack cheese (they now make extra sharp cheese sticks!), fruits, fruit leather (100% fruit roll up type things), carrots or celery, or goldfish (the crackers). Dinner likely has one "fun" dish, like mashed potatoes, so I don't miss out. Lots of boneless skinless chicken breast type recipes, stir frys (using olive oil instead of other oils), rice, green beans, salad, things like that. I will have dessert later in the evening, something like a sorbet (mmmm). Watching serving size is important. 1/4 a container of sorbot is the 120 calories, not half of it.

I also exercise a whole lot. I fence at least three times a week. If I have a competition, I'm fencing for basically six hours straight on a weekend. Other than that, I've put back together a different gym regimen (it's changed because of fencing goals), and back to running (the weather is changing! huzzah!).

I'll probably GAIN weight, but in muscle mass, and the fat I'm seeing come back will come off. Basically, my body will change shape. It's very cool to see muscle definition.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been following the same "samll changes" plan I did last year, only it’s not working this time. [Frown] I’m going to blame the stupid birth control patch. And I’m going to take more drastic measures, because I don’t want to look like a sausage in a dress that fit perfectly six months ago.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"It's very cool to see muscle definition."

I was looking in the mirror and noticed this weird thing on my forearm. It was a muscle!!!

I got the WW Core Plan book, and I really like the basic plan, but I have added Half and Half for my coffee, Ken's Italian for me salad, and red wine with dinner. Because I am a Lifetime Member, I can go to WW once every six weeks if I want to, and only have to pay that time.

Megan, I am not knocking the Watch! I really do think it is a wonderful, effective, and supportive program. I just tend to get oppositional about it.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A good friend of mine, who has been overweight for years, recently lost quite a bit of weight. Then she gained some back. She said to me the other night, "I wish I had never lost the weight. I felt great about myself before I did, and now I feel like a failure, even though I am still down thirty pounds.
A big crutch for me has been my PDA, because I really need to watch exactly what I eat, or I conince myself of things that are not true. I need to be able to keep track as I go.

So about a month and a half ago I dropped my PDA and broke it. [Frown]

I haven't stepped on the scale, but I know I've gained a bunch of weight. I've stopped wearing 38s, and even 40s are getting tight.

I had not succeeded in getting skinny, but I had gotten to a point I considered not obese, but more like buff. Now I'm fat again.

And I'll meet about a hundred Hatrackers in about three weeks, neh? [Wall Bash]

Well, the PDA came back from the repair people this week, and I'm back on the wagon. . . . day 2 and counting.

I had a smoothie from Planet Smoothie for the first time today, for breakfast. They are really quite filling and tasty and not all that fattening. They gave me a 10% discount because I am a teacher. I might make a habit of that on days when I run early. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And Elizabeth, don't you dare steal my thread! I hardly ever start any, and this is one of only three I've started that have gone longer than two pages!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did I say I was going to steal your thread???? When????
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I guess you meant this:
"This is just TOO weird.
I was upstairs, making bacon for a spinach slas, thinking about starting a 2005 WLET. (Weight loss Encouragement thread) Then I thought, well, I will just find the old one."

Sorry. I was thinking it was buried beyond recall or something. Plus, I never did it. I put the old stream of consciousness out there, that's all.

TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm not even going to discuss my reaction to my WenchCon photos. [Razz]

Weight loss is an achievable goal. You can climb to the top of any mountain.

Staying there is another matter. Weight maintenance is just as important as weight loss, unless you just wanted to enjoy the sights before going home.

-Trevor

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I start the South Beach diet.

I'm not as scared as I thought I would be of falling off the wagon, because I already have a healthy guilt complex involving the consumption of bad carbs...breads, pasta, etc.

Plus i don't really like sweets and don't eat fruit anyhow.

I'm just about to go out shopping for the essentials, and I'm feeling pretty psyched.

Anyone else a current SB dieter? (not Strong Bad, i wouldn't trust that beer belly)

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so confused.

Because I am a very bad bridesmaid, I just picked up my dress today (the wedding is Saturday. I know I'm bad.)

Anyway.

The sizing totally screwed me up. I ended up getting an 8 skirt and a 10 top (I have Very Broad Shoulders).

Hmm.

Didn't think I was an 8.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
It's OK, mack. I probably won't get to try on the dress for the wedding that I'm in until a day before. :/ I don't think I'll have gained weight, I hope not.

Oh, and also, I have to admit I ate four desserts over the course of the day today. FOUR. (sigh) Maybe it's OK cuz I'm sick? Does anyone know what sick people need more of?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs! (((((Ryuko)))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Leo - I have three friends (all roommates in an apartment, which helps a lot with support and encouragement) on the South Beach diet. They're all losing weight steadily and are all quite happy.

I'm jealous.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack - I am usually a size 6-8 bottom and a 8-10 top. Top-heavy with no waist or hips, that's me.

Anyhow, I went shopping the other day and came home with size 10 pants and a size 6 top.

And both fit me perfectly.

[Confused]

Sizing - who needs it!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I have a waist and hips. One little old lady once told me to enjoy my figure while I have it. o_O

I think fencing has done something bad to my butt and legs. When I get pants, they fit all wrong. My waist size is either an 8 or a 10, but I can't figure it out because my butt doesn't fit. Or DOES fit, but I hate jeans or pants that feel like they're sticking to me (I like relaxed or loose fit). So I get larger pants, but then the waist is ridiculously huge. I also hate pants that have the waistline, well, at your waist. I'd rather have 'em at my hips or just above. Still the same problem. Waist is way too big. [Mad] I'm at a loss about what to do. So I could be an 8, 10, 12, or even 14, but nothing fits right.

Tops are more reliable, sorta. I have broad shoulders and a long trunk, but they've stayed that way and I usually wear a medium or large top, depending on length and shoulder width.

But the pants...I'm so confused. I figure the skirt fits as the 8 because I wear it all the way up to the waist (bleah) and it goes out from there.

Maybe?

rivka
Member # 4859

Probably so.

Which could be a solution -- start wearing skirts. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I'd die.
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't know if women's jeans have the option, but you might try a man's "relaxed fit" or even "loose fit".

-Trevor

mackillian
Member # 586

I wish, but men's jeans aren't made for folks with hips. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Die? O_o

Why, would the drafts cause you to catch consumption?

mackillian
Member # 586

Yes.
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh. I always thought you got consumption from inadequate bodices. [Dont Know]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, where have you been looking for yur jeans? Try Lands End, which has a whole bevvy of different shapes of them. (Is it Lands end or LL Bean) I think it is Lands End, as they also have a tone of bathing suit styles, which you probably also have trouble getting to fit comfortably.

JC Penney hs some awesome stretch jeans, have you tried those?

Myr
Member # 5956

"Long" bathing suits (even at LLBean) are never long enough [Grumble]

Mack, you and I seem to have the same exact clothing issues [Smile]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Have you tried Lands End, Myr?
Myr
Member # 5956

Hmmmmm, if I've found a place to try them on then I have, I always get it confused with LLBean and Eddie Bauer so I'm not entirely sure.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think Penneys carries Lands End now. Their catalogue is known for its variety of swimsuit shapes.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Eddie Bauer has closed business, I believe. LL Bean and Land's End are both catalog sales (I believe).

http://www.landsend.com/

http://www.llbean.com/

http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/default.asp

Apparently I was wrong - maybe just the retail stores closed? Or perhaps just the ones in Atlanta.

-Trevor

Myr
Member # 5956

Hmmmmm..... good to know! I'm in desperate need of a bathing suit, I think I might be raiding the local Penney's soon [Evil]
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Myr- that gives me hope, thanks.

Except that *my* moral support comes in the form of my boyfriend who weighs less than me (not by much, but it's there) and has a metabolism like a ....what was the phrase Zal used? A jackrabbit on meth? And so our house is stuffed to the brim with potatoes, pasta, rice, sugary snacks...etc.

Why I don't already think i'm doomed is beyond me!

But i'm off to make my very first SouthBeach-friendly meal...a red and green pepper omelette!!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myr
Member # 5956

Oh that sounds good!

Good luck!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Leonide,
I dined with two South Beachers last night. A lovely califlower cheese thing, and stuffed sole.
And red wine. red wine is a South Beach thing, and I have also decided it is a Weight Watchers Core Food.
If you can get your love to agree to switch all those pastas for whole wheat, you will be golden. Even my Wonder Bread-eating mate has agreed,and has enjoyed some of the creations I have made.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.