FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything Thread - One More Try (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Anything Thread - One More Try
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, hansenj!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Hansenj,
Congrats, I know you worked long and hard to make it be 100, Miss Lurker Thanks for everything you've done for me, for all you mean to me, and for being the wonderful person that you are. As Heather would say, much love is being sent in your direction

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my sonogram on the 9th. The Tick learned what our baby was, but I don't want to know. The way it's kicking me the last day I thinkit's a soccer player.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...everyone knows but my wife.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

- posted      Profile for Polystyrene   Email Polystyrene         Edit/Delete Post 
At one of my jobs, we're doing a tech expo for faculty all day Thursday and Friday. If you've never had to man a booth before, they can be particularly exhausting, especially if you're doing it the whole day. On your feet the whole time, talking to countless strangers, constant smile on your face and perky attitude... It'll wear you out, even if you enjoy it.

So, not only did the jerks from the department in charge of the thing put my table in the worst location possible for the show, I was just informed that the people manning booths aren't allowed to eat the catered food!!

Now, I've done a heck of a lot of trade shows. A lot! And this is totally unheard of. Vendors are the hard-working people who make the stupid show POSSIBLE, and it's not like they have a lot of time to go out and get lunch. The crappy catered food is usually all they'll eat all day. To not allow them to eat is a huge slap in the face.

Damn them all. If it wouldn't get my boss in trouble, I'd pull the booth right out of the show.

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring your own food...something extremely messy (sloppy joes? meringue pie?) and share it with everyone who comes to your booth.

(waiting for someone to make a 'booth babe' comment)

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

- posted      Profile for Polystyrene   Email Polystyrene         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "booth bunny", thanks.

And it's being held in a library, of all places, so you can't bring your own food in!!

I'm thinking a boycott or mass protest is in order. It's not so much the lack of access to what will surely be lousy food, but the principle of it. To not let the people doing all the work eat! It's unthinkable!

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polystyrene
Member # 3612

Dolomite, the tough black mineral that won't cop out when there's heat all about!

It's Dolomite, baby!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
They are moving my work next month.
The date they picked for the move--the 10th anniversary of my hiring.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fael
Member # 3015

- posted      Profile for Fael   Email Fael         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally I have to man a booth for our Department. I totally agree with how exhausting it can be. I enjoy it too, but if you have to be there all day, (which I usually am)it wears you out and to not allow you to eat the food is outrageous!
Posts: 765 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my residents gave me a Stitch action figure from McDonald's!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Shifting schedules is so difficult.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
So a friend of mine just told me about the contestants on the new survivor. Normally I wouldn't care, but I apparently know at least one of the guys. I went to high school with Dave and actually had quite a crush on him. And another guy on the show is from the same town as Dave and me, so it's possible I know him too. I might actually have to watch crappy 'reality' tv, if only to root Dave on.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Bob still away? I'd really like him to help me with something for English if he's around..
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kate Emily
Member # 3409

- posted      Profile for Kate Emily   Email Kate Emily         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post from the USA.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a really easy, really tasty Thai fish receipe this weekend. It basically consists of steaming a pound or so of any kind of white fleshed fish--I used cod, but you could use anything--and covering it with a garnish and a sauce.

The Garnish:
1 TBSP kii noo chilis (literally called "rat sh*t chilis, these are the small narrow chilis commonly used in Thai cuisine), chopped almost to the point of liquification.
3 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP green onions (the green part), finely chopped.

The Sauce:
3 TBSP lime juice
2 TBSP fish sauce
1 TSP sugar

Steam the fish for about 10 minutes, cover with the garnish, and pour the sauce over the top of it. Eat immediately.

It's tasty if you can handle very, very hot food. I recommend having cabbace, or cucumbers, or something like that handy to munch on if the heat gets to be too much.

The garlic can be a bit much after the fact, but it's certainly tasty while you're eating it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoroughly Modern Millie has the cutest score. I would like to marry the lead guy, Gavin Creel...*sigh*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I aced my IB Chemistry test! Nothing special for most people, but I'm not all that fond of the subject. ...Or at least not my teacher.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel randomly found the Princess Mononoke soundtrack in the movie section of Media Play on Sunday. And he let me get it! Yay! I've been wanting it for a long time now. I've been listening to it all day - it's great!
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!! I am back in school, and only a week late. What a relief! Only a little bureaucratic BS to deal with tomorrow and it will even be paid for!!! Then I can get books! Wheee....
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie, that's awesome!! You might actually be able to get college credit for that!!

:: reminisces about studying for the IB Chem exam ::

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Random question:
What makes a date a date?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
good question... in one relationship, or quasi-relationship I was in, this subject was discussed extensively by my female friends and I. We were doing a lot of atheletic activities together, like kayaking, biking, rollerblading etc. But, even though we were both physically attracted to the other there were no holding hands etc. (though it is kind of hard to do these things while kayaking bicycling or roller blading) But we were spending oodles of time with each other and enjoying ourselves. Now that I'm living with someone else the friendship has remained. But for that particular part of my life I still don't know how to define that relationship. We were definitely using each other for emotional support from the opposite sex, and there was sexual tension there, though it was never acted up.

Were we dating or not? I don't know.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to mention that I'm totally geeked that John Chrighton's sister is named Olivia, and even looks like Olivet, if you don't think about it.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

According to what someone else wrote here, maybe you were dating in the European sense? Casually hanging out together doing fun stuff? I think this bizzare structure and formality around dating we've got is somewhat limited to the US. At least, I hope people in other countries are less insane about it.

On another note, I started drawing today! I learned how to measure angles at a distance with my pencil, and I drew a chair!! It was very exciting. I still haven't washed the graphite off my hands.

I might actually learn to draw!!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What makes a date a date?
Time together with romantic intent on at least one side, provided the other side wouldn't shudder in revulsion, even if they did not have such intent.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

I'm hungry. But I leave in about 45 minutes. But then I have to wait for Dan to get home.

There is nothing that even really qualifies as "not bad for you" in the vending machine, of course. Not that I have any ones. Or any change.

Drat.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having massive sugar cravings and am trying to resist them myself....

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
^Saudade^
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for ^Saudade^   Email ^Saudade^         Edit/Delete Post 
My legs are finally starting hurt after yesterday's work out. I think my nerve connections need some tuning.
Posts: 1449 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Whoo-hoo! We're going to see Spirited Away tonight! I'd totally forgotten. I'm sure it will be in English, but I can deal.

Very exciting. And something to look forward to! I just wish Daniel had reminded me earlier in the day, so that I could have had it to look forward to for longer.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hilarious that the "Supressors of Free Speech" thread on the other side is locked.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Yeah, I thought that was really funny.
Ayelar
Member # 183

Things I Think are Cute About Mark:

1) He says his hairline is receded, not receding. (Don't tell him I told you that!)

2) He wears shorts even when it's -10 out, earning himself a position as something as a mascot at our school.

3) He likes stuff. And junk.

He's neat.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to stay home with a sick kid tomorrow. I hope my sick days make it to the end of the year.

Tomorrow I'll find out if my medicaid fiasco is really straightened out like DCF told me it was, when I try to take her to a pcp for the first time since moving a year and a half ago. Until now, we have had to go to the hospital, or pay outright for service at a walk in clinic.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not straightened out. The doctor I was given a month ago by DCF doesn't accept Medicaid. I may have straightened it out now, but I won't know until March because every time you make a change, it takes over a month to go through. Is this ludicrous, or what?

Speaking of ludicrous government bureaucracy, there is no number listed in the phone book for DCF or for medicaid. You have to start calling agencies pretty much at random, each one bumping you to the next, until you hit paydirt. And no one number could take care of all of our needs. One number will tell you who the Medicaid providers in your area are, but won't change your assigned one. Another number will change your provider, but can't tell you what your choices are. Both of them, however, have a recording before you speak to an operator that tells you to call DCF for either of those things. DCF tells you to call Medicaid. grrr...

I was able to get a pediatrician's appointment for today, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Since I first saw Belle's "Getting to Know Everyone" thread, I've been humming songs from The King and I.

You know, I loved playing for that show. A show set in Siam is very good for an oboist. "The Children's March" (or whatever the actual title of the song is) was especially fun - I derive a special kind of joy from oboe solos.

Ayelar
Member # 183

Interesting things about my school:

1) There are at least 19 different places on campus where you can buy a fresh sandwich for lunch.

2) Attached to the main undergraduate library is a tower filled with bells at the top. Three times a day, a student will climb to the top of this 9-story tower and play a 20 minute concert. The afternoon and evening concerts end with the Alma Mater and the Evening Song, respectively. The selection of songs ranges from traditional carillon music to hymns to pop music. The tone of each concert, though, is determined by the weather and the proximity to any major holidays. Thus, as today is primarily gloomy and cold, we heard melancholy winter songs: two hymns, and the "Chim-chimeny" song from Mary Poppins. When it rains we hear "The Rainbow Connection", "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow", "Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Yesterday", etc. Beatles and S&G are particularly popular on rainy days. In the spring and summer, the concerts are filled with lively showtunes and pop music. Christmas carols for christmas, fugues for halloween, songs that have the word "green" in them for St. Patrick's Day, etc. Usually, these concerts are enjoyable to hear as you walk to class. Sometimes, though, the performer in the tower will be either too inexperienced or choose a piece poorly suited for 22 large bells, and everyone on campus will be subjected to 20 minutes of pain. It's times like these that put me in a letter-writing mood.

3) There are 8 different places where you could order Pad Thai in this town, though none are on campus.

4) Garrison Keillor once did an entire Prarie Home Companion at and about my school, including several sketches involving the origin of the town's name and a commentary on why anyone would choose to attach 22 large bells to a library.

5) Almost no one interesting ever went here. The few famous people we can claim are weird and boring. Except for one, but he's dead. And he was pretty weird, too.

Ayelar
Member # 183

Duuude, you're gettin' a Cell!
coil
Member # 4571

- posted      Profile for coil   Email coil         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that's annoying... that article includes the comment
quote:
The advertisements were popular with some viewers (and annoying to others), doing for slacker college students what Clara Peller did for the geriatric set when she bellowed "Where's the beef?" in Wendy's commercials.

Emphasis mine. Personally, this guy annoys the crap out of me, and it also annoys me that he is portraying my generation. But what's even worse is that other people - like the writer of this article - see him, nod, and say "yeah, that's what college kids are like" - they ACCEPT the portrayal. I have to wonder how many people his age actually like those commercials. They don't encourage me to buy a Dell; maybe they're trying to encourage my parents to buy me a Dell. q:

[This message has been edited by coil (edited February 11, 2003).]

Posts: 886 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Moving was listed as the "Best movie you (probably) didn't see on this site (right after the "Best of 2002" list).

I followed this movie from freshman year of college, when I originally found the website. It finally got made, and of course I bought a copy right away. It's so funny. I love it.

^Saudade^
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for ^Saudade^   Email ^Saudade^         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my Gosh! Oh my Gosh! oh my goooooshhhh!

I went to pick some chow at the burguer king, and... you know what I got? Chicken nuggets! But that's not the best part, ooooooh noooooooo, the best part is... that they are shaped like lightening and stars!!!

I ate a processed chicken in the shape of lightening and stars!

I am so happy.

And they were juicy too.

I will have to get more for dinner...

yeah...

chicken is lightening and starry at the same time...

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to go see OSC tomorrow (ooh, it's after midnight...I mean TODAY)!!

YAY!

Edit: I put the wrong smiley, ha ha

[This message has been edited by hansenj (edited February 13, 2003).]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

I won $200 from kraftfoods.com! Heeheehee...

Oh wait. This thread is for things that don't get their own thread.

Oh well! I won $200!

Frisco
Member # 3765

I may be the only one in the world who cares that the new Hootie & the Blowfish album will be in stores on Mar. 4th.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hansenj--Me too! Woohoo!

Frisco--Me too! Have you heard the new single yet? It's really good.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Not yet, Jon Boy. I don't listen to the radio, and I can't get it on Kazaa yet.

Guess I can wait 19 more days.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. I heard it on my Launch station. But 19 days isn't too long to wait. I've been waiting for five years now.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

The Scattered, Smothered, and Covered album helb me over pretty darn well, though.

Their covers of Almost Home and Fine Line are great.

xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew!

http://home.earthlink.net/~xnera/connor.jpg

Roger and I met Connor on Sunday. He is adorable. I always forget just how tiny babies are. Those little fingers...

Big brother Kyle seems to be taking Connor's arrival well so far. He "helped" Mommy changed Connor's diaper and insisted his were never that stinky.

--xnera, proud aunt

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.