FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything Thread - One More Try (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Anything Thread - One More Try
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend is leaving for Iraq in two days. Enough said.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Iraq specifically, or the middle east?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

Kuwait then Iraq.
Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
May I ask what he's doing there?

On a most likely unrelated note, a professor at my school was arrested the other day for illegally funelling money to Iraq through a false charity (along with 3 others). It made national news, my school is so proud . He's still here teaching (he made bail).

Okay, lots more to cover.

First off, I have joined the 21st century by purchasing a DVD player . Its a combo DVD/VHS thingy, and the casing is all metal. Its bas ass.

My DVD collection so far:

Terminator 2 (Ultimate Edition)
Fight Club
Braveheart
American History X
The Matrix
LOTR: FotR (Extended Edition)
Star Wars: AotC (Widescreen)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

On their way from Amazon (though some won't be arriving for weeks):
Saving Private Ryan
Aliens (Special Edition)
Alien 3
Dead Poet's Society

That I plan to get eventually:
The Predator
Shawshank Redemption
X-Men
LOTR: TTT (when it comes out)
Titanic?
Star Wars:TPM?
Good Will Hunting?

I love this format! DVDs rule. I love widescreen too, though my TV is the regular kind, I don't mind the black bars. Letter-box is the only way to go.

I am currently developing an artificial ecology in my AI2 class. I have one predator and prey organism each, and need names!

World, Predator, and Prey all need names. Any ideas?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, I'll get back to you on the Bengali cooking next time I talk to my friend... I haven't forgotten. I just have been busy and haven't seen her online recently. I guess I could give her a call, but of course that would be too obvious a solution. :-p I need to call her anyway because I am in her wedding in April and I have no idea what the heck I'm wearing.

Anyway I promise, I will get back to you!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hekani cuisine? Nope, never heard of it. A google search didn't turn up anything either. Next time you drive by the place jot it down.

Banna--no rush! Whenever you talk to your friend works for me. I made two of the recipes in that cookbook I mentioned last week, by the way, and they were both phenomenal. Well, one was good and one was astoundingly good. My wife liked them too, and she hasn't been that wild about Indian food she's had before.

In other news, I've decided that I can no longer eat meat, eggs, or dairy products that come from animals who have been raised and kept in inhumane conditions. For a long time I balked at paying the extra cost for free range products, but it occurred to me that essentially I was condoning the systematic torture of living beings by doing so.

[This message has been edited by Noemon (edited March 03, 2003).]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
So, say six supposedly rowdy flowers are having a party on the corner of a desk. Loud music is playing. One of them is doing the macarena by itself, one is doing a really lame disco imitation, and.... what are the other four doing? If they're dancing, what dance are they doing (that clumsy me knows)?
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Breakdancing? The Robot?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

The Egyptian!

Thanks!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

My building just had a fire alarm go off, and everyone evacuated. It's a tall building, and I've previously been struck by what I feel are internal similarities to the WTC. I haven't been in a fire alarm since I was in high school, and it was definitely a chilling experience for me. I was very impressed with how quickly and calmly everyone ran down the stairwells (I'm on the fifth floor) and gathered at checkpoints outside to be crossed off a list. My department, in particular, is incredibly well prepared for this kind of thing.

Though a false alarm, it reminded me of all the deaths we've seen recently from huge groups of people crushing themselves in chaotic stampedes. It was both thrilling to see my building work together so well, and terrifying to see how bad it could be if they didn't. I was never a huge fan of fire drills before this, but looking back on how long it took me to save and close what I was doing on my computer, decide what to take, and figure out what I was supposed to do, I think we should do this more often.

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Ayelar, I'm glad it was a false alarm, and that you're alright!

I totally forgot that we had a potluck today at work. I'd planned to go out for lunch (we have no food in the apartment, ack!), but it's snowing...so anyway, I feel like a total mooch because I ate the potluck food without having brought anything.

I'll bring something next time, I swear!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
9 days til Houston! 26 til Munich!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday to Me!

Wow, I feel old. . .I am no longer a teenager. . .When people ask me how old I am I say: 20. . .That is just so strange. . .

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diosmel Duda
Member # 2180

- posted      Profile for Diosmel Duda   Email Diosmel Duda         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, hansenj! Hooray, you're old!
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was like all weirded out when my sister got married, so it didn't seem like as big a deal when she turned 20.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! One of our little acquatic frogs from our tank at home is handicapped (one of his front legs is smaller than it should be) and he was getting sooooo skinny (the fish are pretty fierce competitors for food, even if you aren't crippled), but today he got to come live in my tank at work where there are no fishies to steal his food (and he still has froggie friends). I've been watching him eat and it makes me happy. I'll have to call him Tiny Tim.

[This message has been edited by ludosti (edited March 13, 2003).]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I just switched from one company to another for car insurance, and I felt like a frickin' commercial on the phone with the guy. "Are you KIDDING me??"

The same policy with the new place is less than half that with the old place, which I'd thought was a good deal. D'oh!

Ayelar
Member # 183

I just watched someone watch someone else, who was totally oblivious that anyone was watching. It was a startling moment.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Poly, I saw you doing that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Oh no!

:: stops picking her nose ::

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ophelia
Member # 653

Crap, I really am nocturnal.
The sun is rising; my family is waking/leaving; I am not yet in my pyjamas.
Hmmmmm. . .
Well, I'm really cold, so I think I'll go to bed.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I had a full body massage last night as part of the physical therapy from the car wreck. Anyway today for the first time in months, I woke up and didn't ache all over. Steve didn't have to hand me ibuprofen and a glass of water in order to get me out of bed.

A refreshing change.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Banna, glad to hear that the massage worked so well. I had no idea that you were having any problems related to the accident. I must have misread, or just remembered what I wanted to remember, but I'd thought that the only bodily harm lingering after the accident was your dog's kneecap.

In any case, though, I'm glad you're feeling better!

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead, Steve decided to use a cattle prod.

I have an interview at Child and Family Services at 3:00 EST.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

In less than 12 hours I will be in Houston! For a week! This will probably affect my posting--definitely no late-night posting, but I'll probably get a chance to post during the day while my friends are in class.

And apparently I have a date to Rondolet (spring formal) on Saturday, but Lindsay (roommate) didn't tell me who. Stupid cryptic e-mails!

epepke
Member # 4765

- posted      Profile for epepke   Email epepke         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the smiley with the central tooth rather disturbing. Perhaps it would be better as a cyclops. I'm going to get a check in the mail pretty soon. I'm tired of implementing Scheme.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

My project recieved Second Place at the ISEF Regional Fair!!!

What's really funny though is that our group recieved third at the school fair but got sent to regionals anyway due to "unfair judging". ::grins:: This just made the past six months of work worth it all.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be in a sappy mood...I got teary eyed listening to Johnny Cash's Ragged Ol' Flag. Must be because I had just seen another sonogram of my baby. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Speaking of the central tooth, when my youngest brother was about four, he was bawling about something or other, with his head thrown back and mouth wide open. Out of nowhere, my mother said, "He only has three front teeth!" We made him stop crying and examined his mouth, and verified that instead of four centered small teeth on the bottom, he had three. How this escaped everyone's notice I don't know. Mom felt like a bad mother for quite some time for not noticing.

So he wouldn't have noticed anything wrong with this: [Big Grin]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Lissande!

Was it you who reccommended the Diana Gabaldon Outlander books here, almost two years ago? For some reason, I think it was, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I'm most of the way through Drums of Autumn and seriously considering NOT reading the next one until the one after that is published. I'm weird that way. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

And speaking of things you forgot to notice about your children, my ten year old sister told us recently that when she was little, four or five, she ran away from home.

Apparently she packed her little bag, went outside (but not across the street because she knew she wasn't allowed) and walked down the road a block or so and sat down on the curb, waited for someone to notice she was gone, and when they didn't, went back home. She says she did this several times with no effect.

I mean, we feel bad about not noticing and all, but there WERE several other children, and she WASN'T gone more than fifteen minutes. *blush* [Wink]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Nope, never read Gabaldon, sorry. You SHOULD, however, immediately go and read Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond chronicles. (plug)
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Outlander is evil, evil addictiveness.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
What would happen if you put a slinky going down the up escalator? Would that be some sort of slinky-hell?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Hmmmm . . . should I sit in on my roommate's evolution class, which is taught by a young, cute British professor (but which only has ten students, so I would really stand out)? Or should I stay here and post on Hatrack? Decisions, decisions . . .

(Edited because of lots of typos)

[ March 20, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What would happen if you put a slinky going down the up escalator? Would that be some sort of slinky-hell?
You have no idea how much a lauged at this... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

It doesn't seem right.

The past few days, I have been so full of love for the whole world. Everything just seems to make me happier and more amused. Here, the sun has been shining, the flowers are in bloom, and the air is warm enough that a slight breeze feels comfortable. This morning, a bird so dark that its feathers shone purple in the sun perched on the chair next to mine, stared at me, and made a laughing sound as I ate my sandwhich. Then the chapel bell tolled eleven times and the bird flew off. An old man smiled at me. I ran into Pum and Jenny from my field methods class last semester. I felt like myself from freshman year, and not myself from last year, or even myself from last semester. I realized that, no matter what I convinced my self last year, I really don't hate spring, although I still prefer autumn.

All of that feels right.

It doesn't feel right that, at the time I feel happiest about myself, crazy crazy things are going on in the world. [Frown]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally found a pair of chainmail undies. I can now go to the Renaissance Faire in style.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

*chortles at Frisco*

I like going to dances with boys who know how to dance. And like to dance. And tell me I'm cute and gorgeous and funny. And buy me flowers. [Smile]

And I like dressing up and seeing everyone else dressed up and dancing with my friends beneath the dinosaurs at the natural science museum.

And I like eating dinner at Michelangelo's. Yummy!

And I like not missing my flight.

And I like it when my parents buy cool things for me when I'm gone. I've decided to name my new laptop after a jatraquero, although I don't know who yet. I think I'll start a contest. So look for it! [Big Grin]

Ayelar
Member # 183

Well... your laptop is made of... plastic, right?

[Wink]

Ayelar
Member # 183

I've decided that I need a second Spring Break now to recover from this not-relaxing Spring Break that just ended.

Ah, the brief taste of freedom, so abrubtly ended...

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried an effective method when I felt the same way. Dropping out. Did wonders for my social life.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Update on Ciara (the dog with the knee injury due to car crash) after two weeks on anti inflammatories she is doing much much better. The kneecap is staying where it is supposed to and she won't need surgery in the short-term. She is staying on the anti-inflams for another two weeks to let it heal as much as possible.

I had a bit of whiplash after the wreck but nothing dire. The nice thing is that the insurance paid for my chiropractor appointments!

We also bought new bookshelves and a coffee table from IKEA this weekend. Steve also got a papazan on sale from Pier One. THe living room is finally getting decluttered because books aren't sitting on the floor everywhere.

AJ

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Geesh...I thought the fireworks were loud from home...I'm at work now, supposedly working but spending far too much time here. Work is about a mile closer to Disney. The fireworks are so loud from here than sitting in my classroom, I thought somebody was vandalizing the building!

[Eek!]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor today because I've been having intermittent yet persistent headaches for a few days with a couple other worrisome problems. Looks like I might have migraines - I still need to get the blood work results and have a ct scan but I am so not happy about this. It's the first time I've ever had anything that might be something I have to live with the rest of my life. [Frown]

On the plus side, however, I do get to blame all my clumsiness and verbal tongue tie-ups on the migraines (whether or not the two are really related or not - I don't care) [Smile]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

How are your headaches doing?

Random stuff: I still haven't gotten that Indian food recipie for Noemon... makes mental note to self.

I've been doing a lot of bookkeeping sort of odds and ends today. AAA was trying to bill me for 3 months that I already paid for. I changed geographic regions but my OK membership should have been good until May and the Chicago AAA was billing me for renewing in February. After being referred to 3 different people (nicely though cause it was a strange case) I finally got someone who could take care of it, though they still had to go up to their supervisior before they came back to me. Still a pain though.

Also was trying to pay my Sprint Cell phone bill online like always. The first time it didn't give me a confirmation number but kicked me back to my regular billing screen so I did it again. it still kicked me back. I called an actual human being but they couldn't tell what had happened. That person said as long as I didn't get a conformation number it didn't go through. Then I tried on the pay by phone system and it wouldn't accept my card. Anyway now at least one payment is showing up in my account. I'm going to be pretty annoyed if it charges me 3 times though, since it was their system that was screwing up. Hopefully the reason why it wouldn't accept the card is because there is a default not to take more than one payment from the same card in X hours.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Another random happening. I have two warts on the bottom of my right foot, yuck! However we happen to have liquid nitrogen in the lab. I've seen dermatologists assistants apply liquid nitrogen to them before, so I did it myself to myself even though I'm not a trained professional. We will see if it works!

AJ

Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can find Carta journals? I've been writing in journals ever since I can remember, and in my experience those are the best ones. I've already spent an hour looking . . .

[ April 11, 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.