FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anything Thread - One More Try (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Anything Thread - One More Try
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy!!!!!!! I have no idea why, I'm just like bouncing off the walls with happiness.

<----is happy!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
My car insurance company forgot to charge me for January!!! Woo!! What great timing! Maybe now I can prevent the phone from being disconnected!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

The Cosby Show is awesome. I totally didn't appreciate it enough when I was little.

Thank God for Nick at Nite!

(and Nick during the day, go Fairly Oddparents!)

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did a crazy happy made-up wild tap/jazz dance to the Overture of Chicago the Movie. I'm way tired now.

but HAPPY!!!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
My english teacher, who I now worship (i only liked her before) has jumped through a bunch of hoops and won us permission to study Tolkien for english! YEAAAA! *joins all the other happy people*
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IndexCard
Member # 4585

- posted      Profile for IndexCard   Email IndexCard         Edit/Delete Post 
This Saturday, the day after Valentine's Day is the three year anniversary of my best friend's death. She committed suicide by overdosing on Tylenol a month after she turned 21. Needless to say, I am very sad and I want to live in tomorrow so as to avoid getting to Saturday. I am going to the cemetary... I haven't visited her grave in a long time because my mom doesn't enjoy taking me to graveyards. Tomorrow before I spend time with Emp, my friend Cookie is taking me to visit my dad's grave, too, because I haven't been there in way too long either. But the anniversary of his death (3 years) isn't until June 1st. So yeah, that is my random bit of information.
Posts: 219 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs IndexCard* I hope you made it through Saturday alright.

I finished what I can do of my bulk mailing, considering the post office is closed. My eyes are very tired, but I managed to avoid any serious paper cuts.
*needs a nap*

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Little kids are the funniest things on the planet.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Analog rejected the best story I've ever written.

I still haven't heard from the agent who requested to see my novel.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to take an antihistimine before my allergy shot. I took it when I got home, but it's not nearly as effective that way. My whole upper arm is red and achy and radiating heat. I'm considering gnawing it off at the shoulder.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arichan
Member # 4390

- posted      Profile for arichan   Email arichan         Edit/Delete Post 
No way, dkw! Me too! My arm is swollen like a big puffy ugly ITCHY balloon.

But I'll sleep like a baby tonight thanks to yummy Benedril.

Posts: 137 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see JohnKeats around again.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
me too.

That, and my fingertips are completely numb because I glued them together with super glue. And there's paint on my fingernails. And a slice across my kuckle that keeps opening up and bleeding.

A few things you should know:

Never use a sharp knife to try and open a spray paint can.

Always start a child's school project AT LEAST a week in advance.

[This message has been edited by Belle (edited February 20, 2003).]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I once superglued my hand to a reindeer ornament made entirely of computer parts while troubleshooting a client's computer over the phone.

She was very friendly and understanding, and came by later that day to see my reindeer. It had a blinking LED nose. I wonder where it went...

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
<-------Looking at plane tickets (to Germany). Will purchase tomorrow.

When I'm in Munich I will not have to share a bathroom or a kitchen with anyone! This will be my first time ever not sharing those things.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
If you talked about it before I missed it, Ophelia - how long and for what are you going to be in Munich? In a few months we'll be neighbors *grin*

*wonders if non non sequiteurs are ok in an anything thread*

*decides that it is ANYTHING so yes*

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

I am studying abroad at the Ludwig Maximiliens Universität. I bought my tickets today; I leave Detroit March 31 and leave Munich July 30. I'm getting so excited!!!

Where will you be, Lissande?

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got another "Oh I'm so sorry but I may have sent you a virus, go into your system and immediately delete all files ending in .exe" e-mail from a colleague.

Are there seriously still people who don't know this is a hoax?!?! <--rhetorical question. I just thought most of my friends were smarter than this. *sigh*

[This message has been edited by dkw (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really exciting, Ophelia! So it's like a summer thing? I'm going to be in Prague for a couple of years - when I said "neighbors" I meant it in the sense that we'll also be neighbors with Kama

Speaking of which, hey Kama, we're going to be neighbors!

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Icarus, Cor, and the Icarrettes will be travelling to New Jersey the third week of March. They'll being seeing Cor's grandma and looking for Hatrackers and GreNMEtics to get together with!

[Ain't third person cool?]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
The play I'm producing and stressing over opens tomorrow night. Cross your fingers that we break even...
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toblerone
Member # 4602

- posted      Profile for Toblerone           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to write an essay on this poem and I found that I really liked the poem (I ussually don't like the poems my teacher wants us to anylyze) , and I told my friends about it, but they didn't really care....
anyway here is the poem so you can all enjoy

My Son, My exectuioner - by Donald Hall

My son, my executioner
I take you in my arms,
quiet and small and just astir
and whom my body warms

Sweet death, small son, our instrument
of immortality
your cries and hungers document
our bodily decay

We twenty-five and twenty-two
Who seemed to live forever
Observe enduring life in you
and start to die together

[This message has been edited by Toblerone (edited February 24, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Toblerone (edited February 24, 2003).]

Posts: 59 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
The light in our bathroom went out yesterday and we haven't called maintenance to replace it yet (it's their job). SO, as a result we use the bathroom by candlelight. That was fine, but then this morning I had the opportunity to have my first candlelit shower. It's quite an exciting experience actually. A little spooky too...

Just thought I'd share.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't remember the title of "Requiem for a Dream", and it was bugging me...so I went to Google. I typed in "depressing drug movie", and it turned up on the first hit
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I really shouldn't drink hot cocoa while reading the romance thread. In a white sweater.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Frisco. That really works.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I just bought a new computer!

It's awesome compared to my old desktop!

It has a 19" monitor!

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Meme jokes

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/latest.jpg

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

My second job, which I started in August and at which I am currently wasting away during a shift, is really starting to wear on me. I don't really do anything here, as there isn't much work to be done, and we're overstaffed. What little influence I had over certain things when I started has been lost, and I'm not sure why. My boss is a wonderful person, but some of my coworkers are starting to act really macho and annoying.

In short, I'm not really happy here. The good news is that another job fell into my lap last week, pays more than twice as much, is totally flexible, and is something I actually want to do. The bad news is that it's going to be at least three weeks until I can quit, and I'll feel really guilty about quitting if I do.

Sounds rough, I know. But, even though this is actually a really good situation in the big picture, it's a bummer right now, and I just wanted to vent. And hope this shift ends soon.

Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
It snowed (well, iced to be more accurate) in Texas! We've gotten two days off of school because the roads are so slippery! I went snowboarding in my backyard (which consists of 20 acres, by the way) and actually made it all the way down a hill without falling! It's melting now though...
Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and her boyfriend just broke up. I know I should be sad....but i REALLY didn't like him.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
WOOHOO! We just got another day called off because of the snow/ice!!!! We've run out of make-up days, too!
Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

I have just been in the greatest of moods the past few days. I don't know why, but everything is just going my way! Little things, like my plane tickets coming in the mail, or the library book I had on hold finally being available. And the romance thread. Oh, lord, the romance thread is killing me! In a good way, of course. It's great.

Of course, last week I was miserable as all hell, unable to breathe because of my cold and bursting into tears at the slightest of provocations, so I guess this just evens things out.

But man am I happy these days!

^Saudade^
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for ^Saudade^   Email ^Saudade^         Edit/Delete Post 
My birthday is this sunday... not that anybody CARES

Posts: 1449 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I care.

arichan
Member # 4390

We're off again today because of the storm that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm happy enough to be posting away still in my pjs, but this is beginning to get a little silly. This is wreaking havoc with my normal organized seventh grade English weekly schedule.
Posts: 137 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*rant*

We have these annoying neighbors. They cook fish 3-4 times a week. Greasy fish. When they aren't cooking fish they reused the grease and cook other things that smell like fish. It is so bad that it knocks you over in the entryway to all four apartments (one of them being mine). The problem being that we can't complain to the management because while there is stuff in the lease on noise pollution, there is nothing about smells. The other night it was so bad I was gagging in my living room.

We (the other two non-smelly neighbors and myself) are combating it with glade plug ins in the entry way and lots and lots of apple cinnamon candles (like 10-12 around the apartment) since those have the most potent scents. I have gone to pre-emptive candle lighting just in case they decide to cook. They also start cooking at about 8:30-9 at night which is just about the time that I am finished eating dinner and looking forward to a relaxing evening and then bed by about 10pm. The problem is 9:30 is when the smell is the most potent and it is getting more and more difficult to sleep through it, since I can't leave the candles on while I'm asleep!

It is highly annoying.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I bought a Bengali cookbook, but I never really looked at it until a few days ago. The food in it looks delicious! I tracked down an Indian grocery not far from my work, so over lunch I went and bought a bunch of ingredients. Turns out that there is a restaurant attached to the grocery store, and they threw in a meal, which turned out to be some of the most delicious Indian food I've ever had. It seemed more like a home cooked meal than restaurant fare. I'm having a good day.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

One of my best friends is Bengali. You have to have your nose prepared when you cook.... she always had some pretty zingy smells running around when she cooked!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Good to know! I used to cook a lot of Thai food, and between the shrimp paste, fish sauce, and incindiary kii noo chilis, not to mention the perfume of galankal, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves, I got used to some pretty zingy air.

Hmmm...now I'm making myself hungry for Thai food.

Anyway, I can't wait to experience the scents of Bengali cooking. Has your friend ever passed along any good recipes?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hydralisk5284
Member # 4683

- posted      Profile for Hydralisk5284           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wonderin'. Ya know how Ender killed a wasp with his thumb? That would be cool to learn how to do, so those pesky things don't buzz around and land on me in the bus I take in the spring. Anybody know how? Like, where to put the knuckle of your thumb and all the details like that?

[This message has been edited by Hydralisk5284 (edited February 27, 2003).]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arichan
Member # 4390

It's finally beginning to really snow. So we missed a day of school for nothing, and now we'll probably have tomorrow off, too.

Argh. Maybe I'll just CANCEL the research project. I don't wanna grade it anyway.

[/whine]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I can ask her for some... I'm not into Indian spices much myself, though she would always make one milder dish that I could eat.

Random advice: Don't accidentally run over an open tube of blistex that you didn't realize you knocked off of your desk with your office chair.

AJ

Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Does ANYONE know an address in which I can mail someting to Black Fox?

I'm kinda in a rush too..

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

"Don't accidentally run over an open tube of blistex that you didn't realize you knocked off of your desk with your office chair."

This is such a bad sentence I apologize. I was obvious delirious just before leaving work last night!

For clarification: My elbow inadvertantly knocked the blistex off my desk. The chair (with me in it) then ran over the blistex, squirting gooeyness everywhere.

Do you drop the y and add an "i" to gooey? Gooeiness doesn't look right, neither does Gooiness.

AJ

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 

*faints*

Viggo in bed!

*runs off to the Tavern*

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I was all set to write something lampooning that sentence, Banna, but you beat me to the punch by pointing it out yourself!

Do you just not like the spices that are typically found in Indian dishes, or do you not like spicy food in general? And by spicy do you mean hot, or are you including things like cumin, corriander, ginger, etc?

I'm a big fan of Indian spicy goodness, so if you ask your friend for recipes that she likes, tell her that she doesn't have to worry about them being too spicy.

Does she know any good Biryani recipes? I don't think that Biryani is distinctively Bengali (I could be wrong about that though), but it definitely is tasty.

Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever heard of Hekani cuisine? I think that's what it is . . .

My mother and I were driving along and I saw a restaurant that served really weird cuisine that I'd never heard of. I'm pretty sure that's what the name of it is . . .

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My new frogs are so very cool - just what I need to keep me occupied when I'm bored at work.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I got here (office) at 8am this morning (Saturday) and have been working straight since then (it's now 6pm). My brain is so fried I can't keep track of where my keyframes are going, rendering is at over 3mins a frame already, and I haven't turned raytracing on yet, and I need to finish this section before I can go home, which is going to be a while.

Why am I doing this?

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.